Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 7th June 2008, 05:50   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
@sirajbose - thats one good decision you have made and make sure that you check out on the five year extended warratnty hyundai is offering, will definltely hold you in good stead i belive ...
Hellstar:

I agree with you completely. I believe this is an industry first - a 5 year warranty - normally one would get it for 4 years or 80000 kms - I had taken the same for my Maruti 800 and for my Santro as well. I intend to take the 5 year old for the Verna too. There is nothing like some peace of mind after plonking so much of cash on a new car.
sirajbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 02:59   #17
BHPian

Default Status Update...

Got a call from the dealer today that the loan has been approved!

However, upon checking with the dealer about the status of the car, he claimed that Hyundai people were acting like the Maruti people and the cars were being delayed. Upon booking the car, I was told a max of 12 days. However today (being the 8th day) I was told that it would take 10 working days more!

Now here is the twist - The dealer people want me to come and finish the bank formalities. However it makes me uneasy to sign on the dotted line with no sign of the car. Any suggestions on what the next steps should be... is it safe to complete the bank formalities... or should I wait to atleast get the VIN and Chassis number of the car (available with the dealer once the car has been loaded onto the transport truck at TN)?

Thanks!
Old 11th June 2008, 02:14   #18
BHPian

Default Really need your opinion...

Guys,

I am still waiting for someone to please give me an opinion regarding whether to complete the bank formalities or not - without seeing any sign of the car. However I know this is a common scenario faced by many people - especially if you go in for any of the Maruti MJD cars.

This is a unique situation for me as the two previous cars I bought - I pretty much signed the papers and picked up the car on the same day (along with all relevant documentation ... invoices, insurance cover note, etc) - both the cars were readily available... Maruti 800 and Santro.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 14th June 2008, 03:26   #19
BHPian

Default Update

Still no word on the car. Whenever I call the sales person, its always some stories on the "Hyundai Cartel" as he calls it. Claimed that every car from the Hyundai stable is taking long to arrive - if they are fresh stocks. He even said that the Santro is taking close to three weeks for delivery... which quite frankly I found a little hard to digest. Any news from other BHPians regarding this front?

Was a little dissapointed by the lack of any advice from my fellow BHPians regarding the financing bit, however, a certain Bengali song makes sense now... about walking it alone when no one answers your call.

Understood from the dealer that the loan disbursement check from a bank arrives only after the submission of the insurance papers. The insurance papers obviously cannot be made without the VIN and Chassis number. And the VIN and Chassis number are available from Hyundai only when the car is loaded onto the transport trailer. Which is a good thing as once its on the transport trailer, its only a matter of time that it arrives in Bombay and gets registered.

So am going to the dealer tomorrow to drop my Santro (sold it to them and using it as the down payment amount) and shall sign the papers as well.
Old 16th June 2008, 00:19   #20
BHPian

A quick question to all the TBHp gurus:

What would be the pros and cons to upsizing to 15" alloys for a Verna?

Thanks!
Old 16th June 2008, 00:30   #21
Team-BHP Support

Will give you better grip and cornering, slight stiff suspension on the bad side. Dont go for very wide width, coz that will add just add bling and kill the comfort and efficiency.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2008, 00:45   #22
BHPian

Default Update

The dealer called a couple of days back with the Vin # and Chassis #. Got another call from him yesterday that the car is in transit. With so many delays, I will now believe it only when I see the car in their godown (before the registration).

Was already planning some ICE upgrades along with the tyres. The default HU that the car comes with is the Kenwood DPX-MP 4070. On searching for reviews of thus HU on the web, I found mixed responses.

Can any of the Verna SX owners comments on this HU with respect to its sound quality. Also, it would be great if anyone has added an amp with a sub woofer to this HU and can give me an update on how it sounds post the setup.

Thanks!
Old 9th July 2008, 03:27   #23
BHPian

Default Its finally arrived!

Whew! That was an excrutiating wait! Especially after my sales person had promised a delivery of the car in 2 weeks and it took 5 weeks! So from preety from much the 15th day I called him religiously 3 times a day , 6 days a week (gave him a break on Sunday)! And was always greeted with the same answer... No Sir, there is no update on your car. That was till around the 22nd, when he did call and give me the VIN and Chassis numbers and then again.... no updates. After many calls again, found out that the trailer in which the car was coming - had a breakdown! Finally the trailer was repaired and the car arrived at the depot on 1st of July. I wasted no time and was at the depot in 30 mins flat and finally got a first look at my new car.

A quick call to the sales person and confirmed that the Octroi would be paid the next day and the car should be with me on the 5th. Guess what... the Ambarnath bandh disrupted the workings of the RTO and the process again got delayed! Finally the car was registered on the 4th and the number arrived on the 5th. The dealership had a couple of freebies to install and these accesories guys were shut on Sunday! So finally it was agreed that I would finally get drive out my brand new spanking Verna.

The Dealership Experience:
I dealt with Modi Hyundai at Goregaon. From the whole narrative I am sure you must have understood what my feedback for the sales person would be, so I'll just leave it at that. What infuriated me was that after getting the booking amount, this guy was just not bothered about the delivery. I know he did not cause the delay, but not giving a realistic time frame for delivery (I found out later on that the SX with ABS is made to order and not mass produced) and zero follow ups from his end really made me blow my top.

I finally contacted the GM Sales to expedite matters and this guy was like a breath of fresh air. He understood my predicament - Having to travel 80 kms a day and having no car (I sold my 3.5 year 50000 kms Santro to Modi and used the left over money - post the loan foreclosure - to make a partial downpayment). He sent another Santro right away for me to use till my car arrived! He also ensured that he kept me updated at regular intervals with no prodding from me. In all - an excellent person to deal with - in case anyone is interested in purchasing a car from Modi - PM me - I will be happy to help you with his name and number.

The Car - Purchase Price + Freebies
Variant - CRDI SX with ABS
OTR Price - 9.6 (approx.)
Dealer Discount - 20000
Monthly EMI - 17500 (approx.)
Loan Tenure - 60 months (5 years)
Down Payment - 181000 (approx.)
Registration Number totalling to a particular figure - 2500

Included free of cost:
Cutout with Phillips Rally Bulbs
Anti Rust Undercoating
Engine Coating
Teflon Coating (I know you guys will kill me for this, but I like it)
Llumar Steel 35 Sunfilm all around (except windshield)

The Delivery:
The car was promised at 600 PM on Monday - 7th July. Reached there at 605 with a couple of my colleagues and met up with my wife, mom in law and sister in law. It was a really proud moment for my wife as we had always dreamed of a sedan and finally here it was! The T-BHP checklist took 30 mins. Another 15 mins for the pooja and finally 15 mins for the paper work. Finally at around 715, drove out of the parking lot with our new family member!

Day 2 - Accesories Installed:
As soon as I powered on the factory installed Kenwood DPX 4070, I knew - this had to go. So the first stop was at my regular accesories shop. My ICE setup now:

HU:1
Pioneer DEH - 6850 MP (Carried forward from my Santro)

Amplifiers:
Sony 4 Channel Amp - (Powering my speakers) (Carried forward from my Santro)
JBL - CS 60.2 (Powering a JBL Sub)

Speakers + Sub:
Rear Speakers - Pioneer Ovals - (Carried forward from my Santro)
JBL Components - GTO 607/507 (Not sure about the number)
Subwoofer - JBL GT4 Series (Carried forward from my Santro)

In addition, I also got Llumar film for the windshield.

Among other accesories planned - Leather Seats, Alloy Wheels (in that order)

Driving Expressions:
Much has been said about this before so I won't get into the details. It does drive like a dream and I am still getting used to driving with my eye on the RPM guage. Its funny how different driving a diesel car can be. I am following the instructions on the "Running In" post to the T - well almost... tee hee hee.

Couple of gripes - Really need advice from other Bhpians:
+) I thought that the "car pulling towards the left" issue was dealt with - but no its not. I have already done the balancing + alignment but the problem still persists.
+) The Climate Control starts in "recirculate" mode to lower the temparature, however, once the desired temparature is reached - it takes in the air from outside. If I press the "recirculate" button, it switches off from the "Auto" mode. In Bombay traffic - You will really need the "recirculate" to be on at all times.

I know from the various forums that these problems have been faced, but I could not notice any post which said that the problem has been resolved. Any help on these would be greatly appreciated.

Pics - Its been raining on and off for the past two days - so the car's a mess by the time I reach any destinantion - coming Sunday is the first thorough cleaning session - will post pics post that.
Old 9th July 2008, 21:17   #24
BHPian

Default Some Pics...

Thought I'd share some pics I took when I went to the depot to inspect the car:
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrade from the Santro to... the Verna CRDi SX with ABS-image139.jpg  

Upgrade from the Santro to... the Verna CRDi SX with ABS-image140.jpg  

Upgrade from the Santro to... the Verna CRDi SX with ABS-image141.jpg  

Upgrade from the Santro to... the Verna CRDi SX with ABS-image142.jpg  

Upgrade from the Santro to... the Verna CRDi SX with ABS-image143.jpg  

Upgrade from the Santro to... the Verna CRDi SX with ABS-image144.jpg  

Upgrade from the Santro to... the Verna CRDi SX with ABS-image145.jpg  

Old 10th July 2008, 11:14   #25
TOR
BHPian

congrats on the new car!!
Its amazing to know that Hyundai has given you a replacement car for your daily commute. Kudos for them! My experience with Maruti has been bitter!
TOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 11:58   #26
BHPian

dude awesome pics... now me getting tempted to get my Accent Viva changed for a Verna SX . But have just bought the Logan 2 months back. Not practical now but an excellent choice of colour & variant (ABS). Trust me ABS has helped me many a times on my Viva & its a very good buy by you. Enjoy your drive dude & be safe with the monster you got there cheers:
anilkalvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 10:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for the new car. What all you are thinking to change and buy new things for the car?
rjvora_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 11:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

hey sirajbose are those wheels alloys? , i was under the impression that the SX version of Verna came only with alloys

I am asking coz those seemed to me like wheel caps , pardon me if my judegment is at fault !
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 17:25   #29
BHPian

Congrats on your new car. A set of alloys running 195/60 section rubber would give it an sure footed attitude.

Enjoy...
sats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 06:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR View Post
congrats on the new car!!
Its amazing to know that Hyundai has given you a replacement car for your daily commute. Kudos for them! My experience with Maruti has been bitter!
TOR - I was really impressed with this as well. Most I had expected was an empathetic / sympathetic response to my problem - but this was something unique. Similar experience when I dealt with Hyundai in the US when my one week one Elantra developed an electrical snag - they had given me a Sonata with a tank full of gas to drive around till they rectified the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
dude awesome pics... now me getting tempted to get my Accent Viva changed for a Verna SX . But have just bought the Logan 2 months back. Not practical now but an excellent choice of colour & variant (ABS). Trust me ABS has helped me many a times on my Viva & its a very good buy by you. Enjoy your drive dude & be safe with the monster you got there cheers:
Thanks Anil. I opted for the ABS thinking of when I might just need it. Would have loved Airbags at this price as well - Sad that Hyundai does not even give it as an option on the Verna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
Congrats for the new car. What all you are thinking to change and buy new things for the car?
RjVora - I have ungraded the ICE already. Next up are the seats to leather and then alloys - I plan to retain the OE tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
hey sirajbose are those wheels alloys? , i was under the impression that the SX version of Verna came only with alloys

I am asking coz those seemed to me like wheel caps , pardon me if my judegment is at fault !

Hellstar - Only the Xxi comes with Alloys. The SX Variant does not get them - I understand what you mean though - at this price point - it should have come with alloys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sats View Post
Congrats on your new car. A set of alloys running 195/60 section rubber would give it an sure footed attitude.

Enjoy...
Sats - I agree - however I decided against it as most of my driving will be in / around Mumbai with a 60/40 spilt on highways and city. Within the city I am lucky if I can slot it into 4th! About the highway - lets just say its a slighly larger road than the regular city - hence no option for really speeding - I hit 100 km/h yesterday and at those speeds the 185 default shoes were very adequate.