Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 7th September 2008, 23:39   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy_2cool View Post
Its the same Mother (FIAT) who Gave Birth to all 3 Daughers .(Swift ,Palio Multijet & Tata Indica Vista Quadrajet Engine s)
Clutch is interface between engine and gear box and not part of engine design per se. It is car specific design and has as much to do with gear box as with engine and hence the logic that same engine and hence same behaviour of clutch is far from what it is. Swift DZire clutch is light and effortless like typical petrols. I don't think others (GM, Tata, Fiat) has finesse of Suzuki in their overall integration (Engine + Gear box) and thats why Swift Diesel feels so much energetic and refined. Take any Suzuki and usually you will find that gear box operation (including clutch) is like butter... right from old Zen..... so on.

Let us also understand that FIAT developed the engine in collaboration \ financial help from GM and Suzuki and hence the same engine in Swift (Suzuki) and incoming Aveo (GM). Its not by any chance or "just happend" kind of stuff. Its presence in Indica Vista has more to do with Tata - Fiat alliance on local level since Fiat seems to need Tata more than the other way. Somehow, I think there is overkill when people say FIAT is owner of 1.3Multijet. In fact there is popular talk in industry that Fiat, with its present record of car market, would be better off making engines and selling worldwide than making cars!!!! One can debate though.
Abhay.Neelwarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 10:36   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay.Neelwarne View Post
Somehow, I think there is overkill when people say FIAT is owner of 1.3Multijet. In fact there is popular talk in industry that Fiat, with its present record of car market, would be better off making engines and selling worldwide than making cars!!!! One can debate though.
I like to call the 1.3 multijet/quadrajet/DDIS/<whatever GM calls it> a Fiat engine cause from what i read the GM bought into Fiat research to help them build a small car for Europe, later Fiat had problems so GM wanted out but they had to pay a fine to Fiat so they sold rights of the multijet to suzuki to offset some loss.

Disclaimer: thought the facts are all true to the best of my knowledge the sequence and reasons behind the facts is purely my invention.

So who bought who sold i don't care all i need to know is who INVENTED! that is my book is Fiat hence it is a Fiat engine

Lots of ppl have money but expertise only a few do.
AadiAtPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 11:23   #213
BHPian

Need some important information urgently.
My friend has bought Mint White Palio MJD after seeing my palio this month.
Today morning he called me and told that his front bumper got scratched near the headlamp by the lorry. No breakage in the bumper but some part (15 inch) of it got scratched with lorry and all black marks appear on it.
Now please let me know what is best option for him.
Is it correct that even if he get new bumper then also dealer has to paint it or he will get fully painted bumper from the dealer.
fiat_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 13:07   #214
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> Is it correct that even if he get new bumper then also dealer has to paint it
> or he will get fully painted bumper from the dealer.

They come in black only and the dealer has to paint them to body colour. If there is no damage, the dealer would repaint the bumper for him.

The same is the case for body coloured door mirrors!

Last edited by trrk : 9th September 2008 at 13:12.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 14:12   #215
BHPian

Thanks trrk

One more query i have. Will the dealer paint full bumper again or only the area effected due to damage ?
fiat_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 16:02   #216
BHPian

i guess he will paint only the affected area
shantyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 17:44   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_fan View Post
Need some important information urgently.
My friend has bought Mint White Palio MJD after seeing my palio this month.
Today morning he called me and told that his front bumper got scratched near the headlamp by the lorry. No breakage in the bumper but some part (15 inch) of it got scratched with lorry and all black marks appear on it.
Now please let me know what is best option for him.
Is it correct that even if he get new bumper then also dealer has to paint it or he will get fully painted bumper from the dealer.

Hi All,

Just an Update ,bumper does not comes Painted ,its has the dull plastic look which is then covered by 2k mixture (putting), with a lot of rubbing ,needs 1-2 hrs to dry up ,then they do the 2k spray painting,after which it is sent to the heat chamber : then spray 2k liquor for shin ,followed by 3m rubbing compound and 3m polish.

Now if you claim Insurance " ALL Plastic Parts are 50 % Covered"
labour is fully covered ,so as the painting Job.

Bumper Cost : 5,580 Rs ( No Grills or Logs added in it )
so 50 % + Tax + 1k for the Insurance claim ,this is what you will have to pay .

Alt Suggestion: If ur Friend is ok with it .
( Do not take it to any servic dealers as they ll ask you to claim Insurance ).

Take the car to a local service workshop ,tell them that you need the Half bumper to be painted .
2k paint 100 ml will cost 400 Rs ,
labour Max: 600 Rs . Job is done in :1,000 Rs

Note : dealers ( Green Tracks ,concord ) will not do the painting Job .
They can only replace the part for you ,if you claim Insurance.
By the way these parts are not kept in stock you will have to place an order which is ordered from Pune
So it will take 1-2 weeks ,Try Your Luck and do update us about the same .

Last edited by jazzy_2cool : 9th September 2008 at 17:53. Reason: added more information.
jazzy_2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 18:01   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Pratap
Hi ,
Impressed with the travelogue.
I need to make a similar trip within the next few weeks, anytime.

I wanted to ask - why you chose to go to Chennai and then take the GQ ?
You could have taken the Blr--Tirupati-Nellore
route to touch the GQ and be set ?

Please clarify as to how it helps ? Also why do you need to go to Hosur for going to Chennai ?

One can take the Old Madras rod thru' Whitefield and be on course to Chennai.
So, how this deviation helps ?

Thanks,
Ram
The Simple reason is I stay IN Electronic City,
Hosur is 20 km from my home ,more over i did not wanted to take the NH-4 Tirupati wala road as its messed up , I wanted to cover the distance in less time so had to go from chennai.NH4 takes a lot of time,Roads are not that good .chennai roads are too good one can reach in just 3 hrs ,it does added 100 km more but its a happy an safe drive.

Hope this helps if not added me in Yahoo !
(farhan_cool2002@yahoo.co.in)
Old 9th September 2008, 18:22   #219
Senior - BHPian

Hi shantyrocks,

> i guess he will paint only the affected area

The trend would be to paint the whole bumper, the reason quoted would be to avoid mismatch of the paint in the bumper.

@fiat_fan - the whole bumper, I think.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 12:08   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy_2cool View Post
Hi All,
Note : dealers ( Green Tracks ,concord ) will not do the painting Job .
They can only replace the part for you ,if you claim Insurance.
By the way these parts are not kept in stock you will have to place an order which is ordered from Pune
So it will take 1-2 weeks ,Try Your Luck and do update us about the same .
No Jazzy, Green tracks does it but they are expensive. I recently did a touch up job on my MJD. A small patch on the bumper and on the body near the head lamp, it cost me Rs.3000. I think painting the whole bumper will cost a little more than this if done from them. But their colour match was great, I can't notice the difference.

Diff question: In the MJD is fuse compartment on the right side of the steering fitted with a screw or does it have a handle like the glove compartment?
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 13:02   #221
BHPian

If only the paint has been scraped off should that not be a "touch up". I had a 4-5 inch paint scrapped off Concorde fixed for me free of charge and now i cannot tell you where the scratch was...

Ok so you may be charged if the scratch is big but they will definately not replace the bumper if there is no structural damage.

i have a red MJD.
AadiAtPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 15:34   #222
BHPian

Once again, In the MJD is fuse compartment on the right side of the steering fitted with a screw or does it have a handle like the glove compartment?
Old 10th September 2008, 16:30   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Once again, In the MJD is fuse compartment on the right side of the steering fitted with a screw or does it have a handle like the glove compartment?
In the MJD fuse compartment is on the right side of the steering fitted with a screw ,which can be opened with your car keys
I had opened it once to so see all the fuse before my trip.
Old 11th September 2008, 08:25   #224
BHPian

Thanks jazzy, I thought somebody had fudged it
Old 12th September 2008, 15:01   #225
BHPian

Unhappy

Hey you all MJD owners, FM antenna reception sucks in my Palio and suspect the antenna is crap, what about yours? I can only get 1 or utmost 2 stations clearly that too for some time only