Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 13th June 2008, 19:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Ok so you have to press the gear lock to actually lock the gearleaver ? I have never seen something like this.

The CD/DVD carrier is good and the position is also good to keep it away from most of the other accesories like mobile phone, etc. This will leave your CDs/DVDs scratch free ( a tough job even at home ).
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 12:28   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuch View Post
I think I know what you mean. I took a lot of pictures yesterday and here's one of those that I didn't post earlier and it shows this effect.
Yes, That's exactly what I mentioned. Strangely, it's there most of the time, Day or night. I was wondering if it was due to the sun-film, but as your pictures suggest, sun-films have no part to play.

Quote:
Personal preference, but dark tints are a complete no no for me.
Not essentially dark tints, you can go for light black tints, maybe from 3M,Llumar or some other brand. They will certainly help cut some heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
A few minor changes they have done
1) In my car there are two stalks to reset the trip meter though only one works
2) Digital clock missing from the center console
3)The pocket to store coins next to the lighter looks different,does it have a cover Zuch
Two stalks for trip meters?? In the new versions, there is only one trip and one knob for resetting it. Strange, but I really wonder why they are not giving two trips.

And i really miss the clock/temp display. My friend's sxi had it and since it was not there in the Zxi, i asked the dealer to fix it as an accessory only to get a shocking reply that it had been stopped across all models.
praveen_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 13:35   #33
BHPian

At least the clock seems to be on the integrated CD Player? - and from the pic above, I see it shows up even when the deck is powered off?
So it is just the temp display that is missing.
Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 14:21   #34
Senior - BHPian

Even the old player has a clock, per the manual. But I could never find out how to configure it, nor how to display it.
My car has only one stalk and one tripmeter.
It's a pity that the temp display has been removed. The Fiesta was the only one in the segment to have that, till SX4 copied that feature.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 20:18   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami
Ok so you have to press the gear lock to actually lock the gearleaver ? I have never seen something like this.
Well it's difficult to explain but the way the gear lock works is pretty simple. They have mounted the lock on a metal frame which is inside the gear console and is not visible. You have to engage reverse gear, insert this rod(the one that says alert) into the lock opening which is on one side of the gear lever and the lock engages. At the moment the picture was taken the lock was not engaged and the rod was just hanging on the side. They have made a hook just to keep the rod there while not in use. If you really want to know I can take more pictures that will make it clear.

I have a similar gear lock in our santro and the one we had in the accent was also same. I think the kind of gear lock that can be fitted in a car depends on the car model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
At least the clock seems to be on the integrated CD Player? - and from the pic above, I see it shows up even when the deck is powered off?
So it is just the temp display that is missing.
The clock on the CD player works well. You can also configure it to be displayed even when the audio system is on.

OT but congrats on becoming a BHPian. Just saw it's your 51st post.
zuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 20:23   #36
BHPian

Quote:
The clock on the CD player works well. You can also configure it to be displayed even when the audio system is on.
Cool!

Quote:
OT but congrats on becoming a BHPian. Just saw it's your 51st post.
He he, thanks. It was not easy to wait for 50 posts actually.
Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 20:31   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well it's difficult to explain but the way the gear lock works is pretty simple. They have mounted the lock on a metal frame which is inside the gear console and is not visible. You have to engage reverse gear, insert this rod(the one that says alert) into the lock opening which is on one side of the gear lever and the lock engages. At the moment the picture was taken the lock was not engaged and the rod was just hanging on the side. They have made a hook just to keep the rod there while not in use. If you really want to know I can take more pictures that will make it clear.

I have a similar gear lock in our santro and the one we had in the accent was also same. I think the kind of gear lock that can be fitted in a car depends on the car model.

Yes I would like to see pictures. I could get the fact that it was mounted on metal frame the first time I saw the picture, but dont know how it works.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 20:58   #38
BHPian

First off, zuch - excellent pictures. I didnt realize that the Fiesta has such clean, good looking interiors.

About the CaseLogic CD holder: Will leaving so many CDs in the car not be a problem, with the Delhi heat? Wont they get warped or something? Just wondering.
arajand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 22:26   #39
Senior - BHPian

zuch, the cd holder looks real good.How much did it cost you?
But doesn't your sun visor have a vanity mirror? If so, you will no longer be able to use it!
Old 14th June 2008, 23:23   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
zuch, the cd holder looks real good.How much did it cost you?
But doesn't your sun visor have a vanity mirror? If so, you will no longer be able to use it!
It cost me Rs 225. On the packaging it says that they have a patented design and you can lift the CD cover and still use the mirror. I hardly use the mirror so it doesn't bother me but I think it can still be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arajand View Post
First off, zuch - excellent pictures. I didnt realize that the Fiesta has such clean, good looking interiors.

About the CaseLogic CD holder: Will leaving so many CDs in the car not be a problem, with the Delhi heat? Wont they get warped or something? Just wondering.
Thank you. The interiors are really nice and I'm liking them more and more with each passing day. The positioning of all the buttons (except the hood openerof course) is very convenient. I like fine touches like the illuminated power window buttons and the extra button on the key/remote for opening the boot.

I have melted many tapes by keeping them on my dashboard and leaving the car in the sun over the years but I've never had problem with tapes kept inside the glove box. When I had a m800 a few yesrs ago I used to have this tape stand just below the stereo which used to work nicely. So I think the maximum amount of heat is where sunlight reaches directly. The sun visor seems safer.

I am ultra protective of my CDs so I will monitor how things go and give you feedback in a few days. Fortunately or unfortunately the sun hasn't been coming out in full flow for many days now!
Old 20th June 2008, 10:42   #41
BHPian

I've completed 450 Kms. I got a mileage of around 10.4 with my first tank full. This was with 90% city driving, a lot of it in stop-go traffic and 100% ac on. So I'm pretty pleased with that. I was expecting much less my office is just 5 Kms from my home and the engine temperature stays below the half way mark for most of these short trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Yes I would like to see pictures. I could get the fact that it was mounted on metal frame the first time I saw the picture, but dont know how it works.
Here are a couple of pictures of the gear lock. Sorry for the late reply as I've been going through a crazy phase at work.

The gear lock when engaged
Name:  img_0425.jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  148.5 KB

After disengaging the lock
Name:  img_0427.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  140.7 KB
Old 20th June 2008, 10:51   #42
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Zuch !! Now that is an extensive and well written review with great pics. Very Neat & Uncluttered review.

The 1.6 is a great car with 101 bhp !! It is a stunner still. 7 Lacs is a good price, BUT I assume you are getting a HR number. That would have saved a few thousands too.

I saved me 25k alone in Registeration getting my Verna registered at the Gurgaon Address.

10 kpl is a very good mileage before the first service.

BTW is the ulphostery Leather ??
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 11:02   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post

The upholstery in the sxi has leather vinly seat covers.
I guess he got 10.4 mileage because his office is quite close to his residence. I got 11.5 on my first tank-up. But the roads were not that congested then, and my office was around 9 kms away, which was long enough for the engine to warm up fully, leading to better FE
Old 20th June 2008, 11:02   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Congratulations Zuch !! Now that is an extensive and well written review with great pics. Very Neat & Uncluttered review.

The 1.6 is a great car with 101 bhp !! It is a stunner still. 7 Lacs is a good price, BUT I assume you are getting a HR number. That would have saved a few thousands too.

I saved me 25k alone in Registeration getting my Verna registered at the Gurgaon Address.

Thanks vkochar. The HR number was temporary for the first 2 days since the dealer's stock yard is in Faridabad. I've got my permanent Delhi number now so the price includes Delhi registration. And yes, the upholstery is leather.
Old 24th July 2008, 23:37   #45
BHPian

Default 1600 Kms Update - First Service Done

It's been a month and a half since my car purchase so here's an update. I've completed 1600 Kms now and I got my first service done about a week back. This might be a long post since I have many things to say but have been offline due to a busy work schedule.

The (Fida) Experience

The car has been great so far and I have hardly anything to complain about. I've been wanting to go out of town for a road trip since the day we got the car but it hasn't worked out yet. I'm hoping it will materialize in the next couple of weeks.

So I've driven mostly in the city, quite often in a lot of traffic, with the Ac on all the time. I'm getting mileage figures between 9.5 and 10.5 Km/L. I started using System G after the first two tankfulls(as recommended in the car manual) and it's made a HUGE difference. Although I don't see any difference in fuel economy but the car runs a lot smoother with it and the engine is a lot more silent.

I've become really comfortable with the handling of the car. Not that I wasn't initially but there is a difference between driving A car and driving YOUR car. I got that realization one day while coming back home from work and since then the car's felt just like home.

One thing I would like to point out is that there is a BIG difference between ride quality of the front and back seats. Although I've sat at the rear just once but I could easily make out the ride was less bumpy and smoother at the back.

The First Scratch

I even got my first scratch! It really hurts but you can't help it when living in a city like Delhi. The car was parked outside my house and somebody scratched the rear bumper from the side with the scratch continuing across the wheel arch and ending right next to the rear door. The paint had come off and it was quite an eye soar. I will get it fixed soon; As a temporary solutiong I used my painting skills and a paintbrush to fill it up with white erasing fluid and it seems to have done the trick for now.

Things I like

Super smooth gear shift - I felt the opposite in the beginning but it has become very smooth now and gear changes are very precise.

The silence of the engine when idle and the roar past 3000 rpm! - A couple of times I've revved up to 4000 rpm and the sound of the engine above the 3k mark is simply awesome, and addictive!

Turning radius and visibility - I don't know if the radius is shorter than other cars but I felt it to be lesser than my accent and overall it's very easy to maneuver this car in traffic and parking in tight spots. This is also aided by the great great visibility from all sides.

Things that could have been better

Not much to add here just a couple of small things...

Reverse Gear - One thing I've noticed is that you can't quickly put on the reverse gear sometimes. I've read on this forum that most cars have this problem. The manual says to wait for the car to stop completely before putting on reverse and recommends to wait for a couple of seconds if you don't want that thud sound.

Missing Dead Pedal - I really miss the foot rest of my accent and it is one feature that I really wish was there.

The Service Experience

On the day I got my car delivered I asked the sales manager about servicing and he said the first service is at 5000Km . He said there used to be an inspection/general checkup at 1500Kms but that has been discontinued by ford and now the first service is only at 5000. Even the manual mentioned the first service at 5K but on the maintainence chart page they still had a column for 1500Km which just listed a checkup of general things and tightening of nuts. I showed that to the manager and
he told me that he will get my service done whenever I want but they don't really do much in the first service.

Anyway so I went to their workshop hoping at least they'll wash the car and it wasn't too bad! I was sent to a brand new workshop and it was early morning on a weekday. Mine was one of only two cars that were being serviced there. So we(my brother and I) got a lot of personal attention and we were told that we could get the car over to them for a general checkup anytime and it would be done free of cost.

Initially I was a little apprehensive about the place since there were no other cars around and it was new but all the workmen were very professional. We had a close look at the procedure and there was not much to be done, just basic things like checking the fluids, lights and tightening of some screws. They also raised the car for an under body inspection and everything was ok.

One concerning thing that has happened at least 3 or 4 times is that the car does not start on the first attempt. This generally happens on a cold start and sometimes the engine would only come to life on the 3rd or 4th attempt. This hasn't happened too often but last it happened was a couple of days ago. I mentioned it to the service engineers and they couldn't find anything wrong. Also, once the engine starts everything is normal and no problem whatsoever. Should this be a concern?

Overall Impression So far

Overall I'm really impressed with the car. The more I drive the more I begin to appreciate it and the less I want to get out of it. Sometimes I feel that it's a pity that my office is 4Kms from my place.

The car care guide thread has been a big motivation and I've been cleaning my car regularly on my own since I bought it. It's a great way to start the day and to see your car looking sparkling and pretty at the end of it makes it really worthwhile and satisfying.

The car is pretty much stock at the moment as I hit a Vitamin M problem right after I bought it but I am thinking about alloys and new wheels in a couple of months time.