Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 4th July 2008, 16:45   #31
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> I have made a dot marking on the fuel gauge for my reference (Near the "E"
> or empty mark). The low fuel warning does not stay continouly. I had filled up

Please don't use the vehicle with such low levels of fuel. The fuel pump will need a minimum volume of fuel for correct functioning.

The low fuel warning will initially glow with the car's movement and after some more fuel is consumed, it would stay on.

If you intend to drive around with such low levels of fuel, please do buy the jump start cables as soon as possible!

What did the sales person has to say regarding the usage of the OD button?
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 16:55   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk
Please don't use the vehicle with such low levels of fuel. The fuel pump will need a minimum volume of fuel for correct functioning.
If you intend to drive around with such low levels of fuel, please do buy the jump start cables as soon as possible!
@trrk sir, i did not get the connection between jump start cables and car stopping due to running out of fuel ? I think a jerry can with fuel would be the thing to have in the car, in such a scenario.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 19:04   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Nopes, the radio antenna is not a standard accessory with the Hyundai Santro. You have to buy it seperately. But its dirt cheap, if thats any consolation.
Well Then I will get it fitted on Monday, I anyway am going to collect the free fuel coupons worth Rs.2700

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
@trrk sir, i did not get the connection between jump start cables and car stopping due to running out of fuel ?
Probably @trrk meant a jerry can itself. Anyway, the dot marking I have is at a level where the tank will still have about 4 litres. I just have it for reference, till the time I start doing a tank full method. Haven't been able to fill up either due to No-Stock at stations or the exorbitant charge at Shell (Rs.69.05/litre)
neon_daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 19:39   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hi Biju,

> @trrk sir, i did not get the connection between jump start cables and car
> stopping due to running out of fuel ? I think a jerry can with fuel would be
> the thing to have in the car, in such a scenario.

It just shows you that you should have a focus on what you are doing. The whole of afternoon was wrestiling with a problem which was not solved also.

You are so right! Thanks for pointing it out.

Neon, Sorry.

You should have a jerry can with fuel instead of the jump start cables, if you do your runs with low fuel.
Old 17th July 2008, 11:02   #35
BHPian

Default Update 400 km

400 km done in 17 days. Had filled 22.68 litres during the last refill (Auto cut off). Have done about 190 km's after that. Will update the mileage after filling it again at the same location. Driving mainly in city, bad roads, average speed 20kmph, 20% AC.

Fitted the radio antenna for Rs.200 from Advaith Residency road. Also collected Rs.2700 worth of fuel coupons, that can be used at very few IOC pumps. (About 4 in Bangalore).

Will be doing a long drive from Bangalore to Dharwad (24th) and Back on 25th. So will add up another 900 kms for this month. Proper time for the first service.

Any care that needs to be taken during long drives since the car is in the run in period?
Mine is Santro AT and does not have a tachometer either to keep a check on the RPM.
Old 17th July 2008, 17:50   #36
BHPian

Just keep a constant speed and drive safe. The road to Dharwad is awesome and i truly believe that you will enjoy the drive!!

Update us on the trip later.
CorsaLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2008, 11:51   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hi neon,

A long post, bear with me!

> Mine is Santro AT and does not have a tachometer either to keep a check > on the RPM.

I had to dig out two things which could help you. One was the gear ratios of the AT as well as a formula to calculate the RPM from the gear ratios. Finally found the gear ratios etc from a Zing AT test drive report published in Auto India October 2003 and a message in the Indica forum posted by me in December 2003.

As per the test drive report, it has a 1086cc engine with 62/63 bhp @ 5500 RPM with a torque of 9.08kgm@4000 RPM. It has a 4 speed auto with gear ratios of 2.914, 1.525, 1 and 0.725. The final drive ratio is 4.017 and the reverse gear ratio is 2.642. OEM tyres of 155/70R13 size on 4J pressed steel wheels. Weight 968kgs. The reported mileage: City 10.2kpl, highway - 14 kpl and mixed - 11.8kpl. It is not mentioned whether this is with or without AC. It is mentioned that the company recommends switching to overdrive above 50kph speed.

Now for the rpm speed relation:

The formula I found in the net (way back in Dec 2003) is as follows:

mph = (rpm x cir) / (gear x final x 88)

rpm = (mph x gear x final x 88) / cir

speed calculated is in miles per hour.
rpm is engine RPM
cir is the circumference of the tyre in feet.
gear is the gear ratio of a particular gear
final is the final drive ratio
88 is a combined conversion factor - this was just given like that.

So using the formula I have calculated the speed in relation to RPM for the third and fourth (overdrive) gears. For convenience I have converted the mph to kph. They are as follows:

Third:

1000 25.53
2000 51.06
3000 76.58
4000 102.11
5000 127.64
5500 140.4

Fourth (Overdrive):

1000 35.21
2000 70.42
3000 105.63
4000 140.84
5000 176.05
5500 193.66

For your regular speeds you can take these as indicative values. Please understand that your Santro will never reach those speeds in the overdrive list in real life.

Any wheel / tyre change will change these values.

Hope this is of use.
Old 21st July 2008, 10:58   #38
BHPian

Default Safe speed during Run in period

Great effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi neon,

A long post, bear with me!

> Mine is Santro AT and does not have a tachometer either to keep a check > on the RPM.

I had to dig out two things which could help you. One was the gear ratios of the AT as well as a formula to calculate the RPM from the gear ratios. Finally found the gear ratios etc from a Zing AT test drive report published in Auto India October 2003 and a message in the Indica forum posted by me in December 2003.

As per the test drive report, it has a 1086cc engine with 62/63 bhp @ 5500 RPM with a torque of 9.08kgm@4000 RPM. It has a 4 speed auto with gear ratios of 2.914, 1.525, 1 and 0.725. The final drive ratio is 4.017 and the reverse gear ratio is 2.642. OEM tyres of 155/70R13 size on 4J pressed steel wheels. Weight 968kgs. The reported mileage: City 10.2kpl, highway - 14 kpl and mixed - 11.8kpl. It is not mentioned whether this is with or without AC. It is mentioned that the company recommends switching to overdrive above 50kph speed.

Now for the rpm speed relation:

The formula I found in the net (way back in Dec 2003) is as follows:

mph = (rpm x cir) / (gear x final x 88)

rpm = (mph x gear x final x 88) / cir

speed calculated is in miles per hour.
rpm is engine RPM
cir is the circumference of the tyre in feet.
gear is the gear ratio of a particular gear
final is the final drive ratio
88 is a combined conversion factor - this was just given like that.

So using the formula I have calculated the speed in relation to RPM for the third and fourth (overdrive) gears. For convenience I have converted the mph to kph. They are as follows:

Third:

1000 25.53
2000 51.06
3000 76.58
4000 102.11
5000 127.64
5500 140.4

Fourth (Overdrive):

1000 35.21
2000 70.42
3000 105.63
4000 140.84
5000 176.05
5500 193.66

For your regular speeds you can take these as indicative values. Please understand that your Santro will never reach those speeds in the overdrive list in real life.

Any wheel / tyre change will change these values.

Hope this is of use.
The details are useful. So I can stick to say Max 70kmph in overdrive for my next highway trip.
Anyway, I will be having a 2.5 month old kid on my return from Dharwad. I would not want to go beyond 70kmph.
Once back I will be heading to my First free service.

I have got a "child seat" mainly for infants (< 1 year). Will post pics later. Hope the kid would be comfortable in that.

Update on Mileage. Used the free fuel coupons worth Rs. 1500 at Woodlands service station near Richmond. Tank full (Auto cut off) happend at Rs. 1499. 24.3 litres went in.Tripmeter showed 258 kms

FE 10.62 kmpl, 30 % AC , All city driving

Bought some accessories from Advaith service in whitefield.

Perfume: 165
Seat bead cover: 400
leather steering cover: 450
Car cover: 1030

Next update after the long drive.

-Shashi
Old 21st July 2008, 15:10   #39
Senior - BHPian

Hi Shashi,

> Great effort

I am still unhappy that I took more time than necessary to get the details. In my younger days it would have been a quicker effort.

What else is data for if it cannot be used when needed?

> So I can stick to say Max 70kmph in overdrive for my next highway trip.

Nothing will beat having a tachometer in the car! But for your running in period, don't stick to one constant speed or rpm. Vary it a little from time to time and if possible, you should go upto at least 2500 RPM or 3000RPM, if possible gradually.

> Anyway, I will be having a 2.5 month old kid on my return from Dharwad. I > would not want to go beyond 70kmph.

That sure is a speed breaker that you have!

> I have got a "child seat" mainly for infants (< 1 year). Will post pics later. > Hope the kid would be comfortable in that.

All the best!

> FE 10.62 kmpl, 30 % AC , All city driving

That is not a bad mileage.

Do you keep the overdrive switch on the on position? You can keep it on always.

Will look forward to your post highway drive report!
Old 21st July 2008, 21:49   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post

Hope this is of use.
Are you kidding us!!! This is awesome effort and the infomation that you have given above is pure and very much usefull help for any AT user.

Thanks for that!!

Trrk - Have a safe drive and enjoy with the baby (i mean the car)! Post some pics when you are back.
CorsaLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 12:59   #41
Senior - BHPian

Hi CorsaLove,

> Are you kidding us!!! This is awesome effort and the infomation
> that you have given above is pure and very much usefull help for any AT user.

I am happy if it is indeed of use. Not all info may be useful. With the gear ratios this can be done for any car which does not have a tachometer.

> Thanks for that!!

The gear ratio info came from the magazine and the formula from the net. The only thing I did was to use excel to get the results.

It is nice to have the opportunity to help in whatever little way I can.

> Trrk - Have a safe drive and enjoy with the baby (i mean the car)! Post
> some pics when you are back.

Shashi, this is meant for you!

Last edited by trrk : 22nd July 2008 at 13:02.
Old 22nd July 2008, 13:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

neon, congrats on your AT purchase. the car looks simple, yet elegant. You are perhaps one of the team bhp members who have given an exact picture of FE properly on this forum. And 10.5 is very very acceptable mileage. good job. And oh yes, do post pictures of the child seat. The child seat itself may be good, but if you have cranky children, they wouldnt wanna sit on it for too long - like my son
GeekSrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 15:20   #43
BHPian

Default Good Choice

Neon,

That was a good choice. I enquired about this car as I wanted to buy one. I was told that there is a 3 month waiting period. Moreover, I did not like the way the local Hyundai showroom responded for the AT enquiry. I think it is a good car. Does the car have cruise control?
sridhga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 16:42   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhga View Post
Neon,
Does the car have cruise control?
I think that is a tall order for a B segment car. Even most C segment cars don't have cruise control. The only one that sports this feature this side of 11 lacs is the Scorpio mHawk.
Probably the Jetta has it, but I'm not sure.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 15:33   #45
BHPian

Default Update after long drive - 1500kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhga View Post
Neon,

That was a good choice. I enquired about this car as I wanted to buy one. I was told that there is a 3 month waiting period. Moreover, I did not like the way the local Hyundai showroom responded for the AT enquiry. I think it is a good car. Does the car have cruise control?
Cruise control on Santro AT - No. I wish it had one.

I did a long drive last week. Bangalore to Dharwad and Back. The odo is now 1480 and due for the first free service.

Photos for the child seat are still in the camera. Need to upload them.

I have not reset the tripmeter for a long time now. It has crossed 999 and now shows some 20 kms (so it should be 1000+20 kms). Fuel gone into it for all this time. (17.5+17.5+8.75+7+26.1) and now its full tank.Total of 76.85 litres. So Mileage for the last 1000 odd kms has been 13.27 kmpl.
150kms city, 870 Highway, 40 %AC usage. Speeds on Highways around 70-75kmph, Over drive always on. Might have hit 80kmph for very short duration while overtaking. But stuck to this speed since the car was in run-in period. On return journey had four adults and one infant in the child seat, with full luggage.

Did the onward journey about 430kms in 8hours. Started 6.30AM on thursday morning from whitefield and reached dharwad at 2.30PM. Breaks for Tea and Breakfast, 30minutes. Except for the roads from Davangere to Haveri and Tumkur and chitradurga Bypass. The other stretch is good. Some 40-50 kms is bad stretch.

Return journey was more eventful with the kid enjoying every moment of it. He loved the child seat and was very comfortable. Rained at most of the places on the way. Started again at 6.30Am on friday morning. 40min break for Breakfast at Haveri, 1hr at chitradurga A1 plaza for lunch and 15 min in Tumkur. Left Tumkur at 3pm. Reached home at 6.30PM. A good 3.5 hrs in Bangalore traffic.
Started getting calls from friends and family members about the Serial blasts. Did not want to enter the the city. Took a left at Gurguntepalya to take the Hebbal ring road and then to whitefield.

Was a very safe drive through out. Not even a single hard breaking. Had to slow down from 70kmph a few times for uneven roads. A good 3-4 inches difference in the level of tar at some places. The car handled well.

For the return trip I had tanked up and we reached home (436kms) and the fuel gauge had just reached the reserve level. So should have made it
in about 27-28 litres.

Will upload some pics soon

-Shashi