Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2008, 16:09   #16
VBV
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 227
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

I've done some driving in the SX4 in the rains, last monsoon. And last monsoon was pretty bad. My thoughts and observations, pretty good grip, but would have been better with a better set of tyres. CG did not turn out to be a major problem as I had thought. There was no hydroplaning. ABS/EBD did kick in during slightly harder braking, due to the wet conditions and it helped a lot. For eg., if I was at 80 and wanted to stop for a speed-braker, ABS would kick in, in wet conditions. Ground clearance is a great boon. The suspensions were good, there were many puddles and some were over potholes and it did not create too much of a hassle for the people inside when I went over puddles which had potholes (as against puddles with a clean road beneath).

The area where I found it lacking was in the area of the rear visbility. It is a problem during day time and normal days that gets enhanced during rains and nights.
VBV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 16:20   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBV View Post
There was no hydroplaning.
Aquaplaning normally happens based on the depth of the standing water; it could happen to the best of cars or the worst of cars, depending on how fast you go through a pool of water & how deep it is.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 16:25   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NA
Posts: 769
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

It all depends on who is driving. I even used to overtake everyone on highways during heavy rains even with my Indica DLS. I think that not many people would have crossed 140 Kmph on a plane surface with 4 medium to heavy sized people on an Indica DLS. I have done that quite a few times for a good amount of distance. I still rate Indica DLS (non-turbo) very poor in power.
opendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 16:46   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
rkbharat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gurgaon/New Delhi
Posts: 1,590
Thanked: 608 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBV View Post
The suspensions were good, there were many puddles and some were over potholes and it did not create too much of a hassle for the people inside when I went over puddles which had potholes (as against puddles with a clean road beneath).

I think I differ on suspension, its horrible at low speed but superb at high speed, may be due to bit on the harder side.
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 21:26   #20
BHPian
 
arajand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 59
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Really!!! Wow, we did not know about this at all till you chose to enlighten us
Come on now, what he said may not be accurate, but it is true. The SX4 truly is a different beast from the Suzuki stable. If and when the diesel engine comes (1.9 MJD) the SX4 will become the Sedici.

We don't even have the 2 L engine which is new-generation. What we get is a modified Baleno engine. The SX4 is sold world over as a 'fun car for teenagers', 'an all-round car which has a few goodies' etc whereas in India the catchline Suzuki uses it "Men are back"(!!)

On what strength of the car does Suzuki want to sell it to 'men'? Surely not for the 100 bhp engine. It is for the aggressive styling that the SX4 derives - in the hands of Guigiaro's studio.
arajand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 02:00   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,069
Thanked: 500 Times
Default

Quote:
We don't even have the 2 L engine which is new-generation. What we get is a modified Baleno engine. The SX4 is sold world over as a 'fun car for teenagers', 'an all-round car which has a few goodies' etc whereas in India the catchline Suzuki uses it "Men are back"(!!)
FYI, the 2 L engine is available in North America/Australia. In other regions, the 1.6 L VVT does the duty on the SX4 sedan as well as on the hatch. In europe, there is also a 1.9 DDiS. The one in India is also the same 1.6 L (M16A) as found in other part of the world, but except that it has no variable-valve timing (VVT). And comeon, the Baleno engine was G-series, and has nothing to do with the Indian SX4.

Quote:
On what strength of the car does Suzuki want to sell it to 'men'? Surely not for the 100 bhp engine. It is for the aggressive styling that the SX4 derives - in the hands of Guigiaro's studio
Just wondering, have you drove the Indian SX4 even once?? Of course not for the engine. What appeals to most people is the overall package, and that include looks as well, as you have pointed out. But no doubt, the Fiat DNA gene really helps the driveability and handling of this car, besides the looks.

Last edited by iTNerd : 12th July 2008 at 02:02.
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 04:34   #22
BHPian
 
arajand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 59
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Just wondering, have you drove the Indian SX4 even once??
Hi itnerd,
Yes, I have driven the SX4. What say?

Quote:
the same 1.6 L (M16A) as found in other part of the world, but except that it has no variable-valve timing (VVT)
You are right. But that was my point too. We dont get the VVT; there was talk of the Swift Sports with VVT. Where is it?

Ok we dont 'need' the AWD. Ok, we probably are not the right market for the 2L 140+ bhp. What does that leave us with? No 'S' (for sport), no '4', only a 'X'. Only a crossover sedan.

The point is, we get 'special' engines which target our market. Maybe it is a good thing then.

Anyway my point is not to beat up on the SX4, but to 'defend' Fiat. If Fiat plonks its MJD in every car manufacturer's vehicle around, while the rest are furiously working away at their MJDs (Suzuki's version is due by 2010?), it is a good thing, IMO.

Cheers
Anand
arajand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 05:30   #23
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 67
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arajand View Post
Come on now, what he said may not be accurate, but it is true. The SX4 truly is a different beast from the Suzuki stable. If and when the diesel engine comes (1.9 MJD) the SX4 will become the Sedici.

We don't even have the 2 L engine which is new-generation. What we get is a modified Baleno engine. The SX4 is sold world over as a 'fun car for teenagers', 'an all-round car which has a few goodies' etc whereas in India the catchline Suzuki uses it "Men are back"(!!)

On what strength of the car does Suzuki want to sell it to 'men'? Surely not for the 100 bhp engine. It is for the aggressive styling that the SX4 derives - in the hands of Guigiaro's studio.
I have the US Spec SX4 AWD hatchback with 2L engine (143bhp) which is less than 1 month old. The handling is superb. It was a toss between the Subaru Impreza Outback Sport and the SX4. I went with the SX4 because the Subaru Impreza (non-WRX) suspension was too soft for my taste, gave less fuel mileage than the SX4, and costed about $2K more than the SX4. I've driven it for about 1500 km now. I'm totally happy with the car. I took it for a 200km drive through narrow mountain roads - it handled extremely well, and all the big unwieldy SUV drivers and the small nimble sedan drivers were moving over and let me pass. It's a fun car to drive, even with the small engine and power.
Tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 08:51   #24
BHPian
 
mnhegde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B E N G A L U R U
Posts: 473
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Guys, these reviews are a soothing music to the ears. If my budget allows me to change gears, I would definitely want to own that beast . Me being a heavy weight, would definitely love that ground clearance man. Is there any idea when the indian version are getting new engines??? If diesel comes, definitely it will blow out its competition, what say guys???
mnhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 08:58   #25
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 1,471
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Diesel alone doesn't help. There are many diesels in the market but none have managed to 'blow out' the competition.

Heck, even Dzire comes in diesel and it hasn't actually blown out the competition, then how can SX4?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhegde View Post
If diesel comes, definitely it will blow out its competition, what say guys???
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 09:04   #26
BHPian
 
mnhegde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B E N G A L U R U
Posts: 473
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

@ diabloo : Am seeing more swift dezires (diesels) than logans or indigos on the road buddy (new vehicles). The bookings simply show the results. If Maruthi improves delivery process, I bet the competition will be blewn. As for SX4, first let them bring the new engine then lets see which competition stays near. Wait and watch.

Last edited by mnhegde : 12th July 2008 at 09:07.
mnhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 12:06   #27
BHPian
 
gopinathann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 765
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Diesel alone doesn't help. There are many diesels in the market but none have managed to 'blow out' the competition.

Heck, even Dzire comes in diesel and it hasn't actually blown out the competition, then how can SX4?
Currently the popular cars blowing out are the Fiesta & Verna diesel in C segments, when SX4 Diesel comes it will definitely dent the holes in Verna & Fiesta. Swift dzire is competition for Indigo,Logan and it also does good job. Swift diesel has the longer waiting period till now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arajand View Post
Hi itnerd,
Ok we dont 'need' the AWD. Ok, we probably are not the right market for the 2L 140+ bhp. What does that leave us with? No 'S' (for sport), no '4', only a 'X'. Only a crossover sedan.

Anyway my point is not to beat up on the SX4, but to 'defend' Fiat. If Fiat plonks its MJD in every car manufacturer's vehicle around, while the rest are furiously working away at their MJDs (Suzuki's version is due by 2010?), it is a good thing, IMO.
Though Indian SX4 does not have VVT we still get the new M series engine, now Swift is going to be replaced with M series engine.
I think you got the wrong definition for SX4, it is SEASON X 4, meaning you can use this vehicle for all the 4 seasons. This is appropriate for the crossover version as it got AWD, however the sedan also gets the same name. In US SX4 has been released as SX4 SPORT
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 12:13   #28
BHPian
 
abhijit 2284's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Aurangabad
Posts: 169
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
@randomgyan, agree that driving in the rains is great fun, but it comes with its share of issues too. While ABS/EBD etc is all good and nice to have, it won't hurt to be a little extra careful in the rains. That said, enjoy the drive, rain or shine.

Really!!! Wow, we did not know about this at all till you chose to enlighten us.

Instead of helping Suzuki make better cars, how about Fiat first putting its house in order here and work on increasing their car sales which are in like a few hundreds, compared to the hundred thousands that others sell ?
right said mate-
abhijit 2284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 12:58   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
snaronikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,845
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

@ Mods: Duplicae post. Pls delete this.

Last edited by snaronikar : 12th July 2008 at 13:15.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 12:58   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
snaronikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,845
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

@ Mods: Duplicae post. Pls delete this.

Last edited by snaronikar : 12th July 2008 at 13:16.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New SX4 VXi vs. 2005 Honda City GXi ?? - SX4 NPV is higher!! complexroots Sedans 13 10th November 2008 20:58
Best practices to drive in Heavy Rains/Thunder/Lightning ravib Technical Stuff 1 17th March 2008 11:48
best gear oil & best coolant & best engine decarb: please cyneverdie Technical Stuff 7 19th October 2007 03:57
Suzuki SX4 or NHC type 1 second hand EDIT: SX4 now booked - EDIT 1 -Swift VDi booked GeekSrik Hatchbacks 126 24th June 2007 12:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:16.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks