Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 12th July 2008, 13:05   #31
Senior - BHPian

OK, here's another story of SX4. As for SX4 diesel, before this we will be seeing a corolla diesel and it will rule the roads.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 14:14   #32
BHPian

Yes. Excellent car in rains and ABS is confidence inspiring.

But those headlamps . Nightmare to drive in the night...I had to guess one too many times when I was driving 50 kms back home in incessant rains!

I guess I will need to get those Nightbreakers!
sids911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 14:16   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arajand View Post
Come on now, what he said may not be accurate, but it is true. The SX4 truly is a different beast from the Suzuki stable. If and when the diesel engine comes (1.9 MJD) the SX4 will become the Sedici.

We don't even have the 2 L engine which is new-generation. What we get is a modified Baleno engine. The SX4 is sold world over as a 'fun car for teenagers', 'an all-round car which has a few goodies' etc whereas in India the catchline Suzuki uses it "Men are back"(!!)

On what strength of the car does Suzuki want to sell it to 'men'? Surely not for the 100 bhp engine. It is for the aggressive styling that the SX4 derives - in the hands of Guigiaro's studio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Currently the popular cars blowing out are the Fiesta & Verna diesel in C segments, when SX4 Diesel comes it will definitely dent the holes in Verna & Fiesta. Swift dzire is competition for Indigo,Logan and it also does good job. Swift diesel has the longer waiting period till now.

Though Indian SX4 does not have VVT we still get the new M series engine, now Swift is going to be replaced with M series engine.
I think you got the wrong definition for SX4, it is SEASON X 4, meaning you can use this vehicle for all the 4 seasons. This is appropriate for the crossover version as it got AWD, however the sedan also gets the same name. In US SX4 has been released as SX4 SPORT
Suzuki US says that SX4 stands for Sport X-over (crossover) for 4 seasons. They call the hatchback here as SX4 crossover and the sedan as SX4 sport. I have a bicycle rack attacked to my hatchback, and it is indeed quite sporty - I took it on unpaved roads and got it dirty. I'll post some pics once I have more posts and I'm allowed to post gallery pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
Yes. Excellent car in rains and ABS is confidence inspiring.

But those headlamps . Nightmare to drive in the night...I had to guess one too many times when I was driving 50 kms back home in incessant rains!

I guess I will need to get those Nightbreakers!
Get the Philips Night Guide bulbs if they are available near you. 9007NG is the one that fits this car I guess - double check to be sure -- I'm not certain about the IDM (Indian Domestic Market) car. I've read that these bulbs are great. I'm gonna order them for mine.
Tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 15:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
There are many diesels in the market but none have managed to 'blow out' the competition.

Heck, even Dzire comes in diesel and it hasn't actually blown out the competition, then how can SX4?

Your right that Diesel s alone wont help. Eg. NHC which is still doing well without diesel. I would surely disagree that Dzire hasnt blown out the competition. Dzire has more features and has the VFM tag . The wait period has made some dent in its sales but its still selling like hot cakes. With increase in crude oil price Diesel cars will also be taken into consideration in near future.
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 15:34   #35
BHPian

The thread starter I felt had read my mind to start this thread. I was thinking the same thing considering the rains that happen in Mumbai. A night full of rain can get the roads flooded, to counter this the 16 inch tyres & ride height is perfect.
The place where I work gets flooded during monsoons the other day i could see premier cabs & other cars pussyfooting but the SX4, just drove though.
Dont know about the fuel efficiency one can expect with 16 inch wheels & the size, but a good car for monsoons.
kavesh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 15:46   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post

Though Indian SX4 does not have VVT we still get the new M series engine, now Swift is going to be replaced with M series engine.
I think you got the wrong definition for SX4, it is SEASON X 4, meaning you can use this vehicle for all the 4 seasons. This is appropriate for the crossover version as it got AWD, however the sedan also gets the same name. In US SX4 has been released as SX4 SPORT
The SX4 is Sports Crossover 4, the word 'sports' for the demographic (and the capability), the X for the crossover design (high stance, flared wheel arches etc) and the 4 - for all four seasons, i.e the AWD system. The SX4 hatch does have a sports cladding, roof rails and good handling characteristics

Therefore the term 'SX4 Sport', for the sedan version becomes somewhat a self referential acronym
arajand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 16:44   #37
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
A night full of rain can get the roads flooded, to counter this the 16 inch tyres & ride height is perfect.
Chances of aquaplaning increase with wider tyres. If tyres are worn, the car with wider tyres will aquaplane more easily. So you need to take care of your tyres.

The optimal choice of tyres really depends on the car. For my old Santro, I have come to the conclusion that stock-size (155/70-13) Bridgestone S322 tubeless tyres are the best. Surprised? But it is true. Now I am riding with S322's that have done just 2000 kms. I have taken my Santro to 140 kmph even in heavy rains and there is no aquaplaning or loss of grip. Not surprising, since S322 is an all-season tyre and has good wet grip. Why not grippier tyres like Michelins or Bridgestone Turanzas? These tyres will give better braking, but my old Santro's top speed, pickup and fuel economy come down at a given tyre pressure (I use 35 psi) as compared to S322. These fancy tyres are better-suited for more powerful cars.

Last edited by rks : 12th July 2008 at 16:47.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 19:40   #38
BHPian

@ rks: I am getting worried now brother. Have changed my stock 145/70 r13 (mrf) to 165/65 r13 (michelin) on my wagonr. Is this width going to give me problems (aquaplaning) ???
mnhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 19:50   #39
BANNED

For aquaplaning, you need to have water collected on roads? Where in Bangalore you will find this? Even if you find water, you have to drive very fast over it. Again where can drive fast in Bangalore?

You can always choose drive at normal speed and get over aquaplaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhegde View Post
@ rks: I am getting worried now brother. Have changed my stock 145/70 r13 (mrf) to 165/65 r13 (michelin) on my wagonr. Is this width going to give me problems (aquaplaning) ???
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 19:55   #40
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhegde View Post
First of all I think the correct upsize should be 165/60-13. With 165/65 you will get more ride comfort, but handling at high speeds may not be as good.

As long as your tyres have enough tread depth, and you do not drive at very high speeds in wet weather, you need not worry too much. But be wary when the tyres are at the end of their life and take extra precautions in wet weather. You can start to push the car after you fully understand its handling under such conditions. A car like Wagon R should be much easier to control than heavy sedans even if aquaplaning does occur. I have merrily aquaplaned almost all the way through the Mumbai-Pune Expressway in my Santro when it had worn-out tube-type S322 tyres about 2 years ago. Now that I am more knowledgable about these matters, I do not want to repeat that experience.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 19:56   #41
BHPian

@ diabloo : Phew!. Just got saved (changing tyres). thanks buddy, you made me realize this thing (bangalore traffic ).
mnhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 23:49   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomgyan View Post

Despite the full fury of the monsoon, I experienced no let up in speed.

I have to say, while driving this in the crazy monsoon rain, the only thing that changed when the rain came was the wiper speed. No seriously, I could see ALL other cars slowing down but this baby just went on like it was nothing!
I don't know of any car that can be safely driven in the full fury of the Indian monsoon with no let up in speed.

I just takes one puddle deep enough for a car to hydroplane, and in a split second there can be a serious accident.

Don't let a modern car's good control and excellent handling fool you into over estimating it's traction limits. If you do this the results could be catastrophic.

Please do slow down appropriately when the weather gets bad.
RedMM340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 10:27   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomgyan View Post
So, I've had about 15k kms on my SX4. I'm very happy with it and it has been spotless so far - except a bumper repaint because an autowallah decided to drive himself into it. Yeah, much like during 9/11 with the planes and the twin towers except, the accident saddened me more (and this is possibly the only forum where I am sure people can agree with me )

Recently, me and my girlfriend decided to drive down to goa. I had always heard it was supremely pretty (not to mention romantic) in the rains and hey, my car needed to do a proper mumbai-goa-mumbai unlike last time when it was really hurried.

The total time it took me was around 9:50 minutes plus a 40 minute break for brunch. This is not really that amazing, what is amazing is that this is pretty much how long it took me to do the same distance in october too!

Despite the full fury of the monsoon, I experienced no let up in speed.

I have to say, while driving this in the crazy monsoon rain, the only thing that changed when the rain came was the wiper speed. No seriously, I could see ALL other cars slowing down but this baby just went on like it was nothing!
It felt so well planted and so much in control that in the pelting rain I was just driving around and overtaking trucks and cars like they were standing still (well, ok, the trucks WERE standing still) and all this in the ghats!

The other thing that totally impressed me was how well the ABS and EBD worked. Everytime I slowed down, I could feel it working overtime but never did the car give way, or skid or provide me with any drama. It just calmly slowed down, turned, and we were off speeding up again.

I would say, for this, and this alone, you should buy this car. It's a rain god!

Oh and, yeah, one word of caution though, dont do this with your girlfriend, because you will be so consumed with the pleasure of driving this car, she will feel totally neglected and THAT can be MOST tragic

Please post your rain driving stories I am sure there are tons of interesting experiences out there.
I am driving down to Goa from, Delhi with my Sx4 in the 2bd week of June 2010. But with my family and sadly not with girl friend. Hope the rain meets me there. Waiting to experience the pleasure of driving in the rains with this car.
contactgautam is offline   Reply With Quote