Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 16th July 2008, 14:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Scorpio 2.6 Crde Lx Turbo - 4000 Km performance and first service update...

Just completed 4000 km/ 3 months use in my Scorpio. Couple of long trips to Ooty and Coorg etc as covered in other posts plus lots of use within city plus several good medium distance drives on road and off road on the new Hosur-Bannerghatta Road-Mysore Road stretch. Couple of trips to Devanahalli/Hosur/ Attibele and back on Sundays using different routes each time just to stretch the Scorp's legs a bit. Including some off road, when going to visit some sites and other places.
Performance:
Just the normal expected and enjoyable Turbo Whine, good acceleration and fun to drive aspects.
It really feels great on the highway. However I feel sad when I drive it in the city because one cant enjoy the vehicle to its maximum. At the same time, its good torque and capability to chug along in first gear/ second gear with one's foot off the accelerator, in the interminable bumper to bumper crawl that characterizes Bangalore, I find it very useful.
No rattling and irritating noises or other bad behaviour noticed from the vehicle even though I havent spared it at all on the bad roads/ off road that I have done in these three months.

FE:
Am clearly getting an average of about 9 to 11 kmpl calculated based on the combined usage in city and on highways. Im wondering if this will improve to an extent after first service or not.

Niggles - accidental:
1.Small crash with a motorcycle where the mobike suddenly turned left from the the extreme right side, near my office. Slight dent on the right fender. (Didnt bother getting it done)
2.When stationary and parked somewhere some cyclist banged into the rear left fender causing a small dent/scratch and breaking my tail lamp.
(changed the tail lamp - Rs 1563)
3.While removing the PVC Cover from the jeep to clean it, the cover got caught by a sudden gust of wind (around 2 weeks ago when it was very windy), hooked onto the antenna and the antenna snapped off.
(changed the Antenna unit - Rs 863)

Niggles - usage based:
1.Clutch Pedal Plastic Bush squeaking sound. - Changed during service at no cost.
2. As mentioned in earlier posts, have got the wheel alignment and balancing done after each long trip.
(Now that the vehicle has undergone first service the tyres have been rotated. But this weekend I will be getting the alignment and balancing done again and rotating all the tyres, bringing the 5th one also into play this time.)

Service report:
1. All oils and fluids changed except hydraulic power steering fluid.
2. Battery checked up, coolant checked up and general service done.
No troubles at all reported.

Costs:
Cost of first service (consumables only are charged for): Rs 1806/-
Wheel alignment/balancing thrice (as explained above) - Rs 2250/-
Fixing the accidental niggles listed above - Rs 2426/-

However, I dont think that I will continue to incur these kind of maintenance costs every three months.

Service and Time Taken:
One and a half days because I clearly said I was in no hurry and asked them to take their time.
Their normal turnaround time is one day - morning -evening with vehicle pickup from home and drop back at home.

Very Good service from Vijai Auto Sales, even to the extent that the vehicle is delivered at home as soon as the servicing is over and the bill amount is informed to me via sms or phone and I can go to their Branch in Koramangala to pay it.

All in all, in this three months Ive been using this jeep, I am happy and satisfied with it.

Will keep updating...

Cheers
Attached Images

Last edited by shankar.balan : 16th July 2008 at 14:46. Reason: pics
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 14:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Neat report there Shankar and 9 to 11Kmpl is a decent mileage you are getting I think. Any pics ?
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 14:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

thanks
put lots of pix already earlier
added two more recent ones to my post on 4000 km update
was hoping the mileage may improve after this first service to about 12-14 on highways- lets see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Neat report there Shankar and 9 to 11Kmpl is a decent mileage you are getting I think. Any pics ?
Old 16th July 2008, 22:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Precise report.
The fuel efficiency you are getting is really good considering the car.

How was the car in off roading ?
IMHO, as long as you want to preserve Warranty, you will have to incur the expenses at their specified time intervals.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 09:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. Good to know the FE is decent.

Ref the expenses that I do NOT want to incur, these are the "accidental niggles expenses". Which means I ve got to be a little more careful about where the car is parked and the car cleaning chap needs to be careful with the antenna etc.
Normal servicing/ maintenance costs I am more than happy to incur because I love my vehicle to be in Top condition at all times. Thats why,. while the first service time limit/ mileage limit is 3 months/5000 km, I gave it as per the time limit since I had not completed 5000 yet.
IMO, it is better to do it a bit earlier rather than later.

Ref Off Roading - this was not real hardcore 4WD territory - we took it to visit some sites and some odd places where there are no roads, one is driving across land that was once cultivated and is now lying fallow waiting for development, so going across bunds, ditches and generally no road terrain was perfectly ok. It was bumpy at the back because the vehicle tends to lurch this way and that when each of the 4 wheels is going over ground which is completely uneven. In a few places we had to climb and descend bunds which were almost 35 to 40 degrees incline and there was no trouble at all. It was muddy and slightly slushy because of the rains but again, not real hardcore 4WD territory. Mine being a 2WD Scorp I would not chance it in serious slush and mud because of the vehicle's weight.

We used it on some of the really bad bits on the new BMIC road from Electronic City to Bannerghatta Road and thereon to the Mysore road. Enjoyed that a lot. And the vehicle feels practically indestructible.

Whatever it is, so far it s been good fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Precise report.
The fuel efficiency you are getting is really good considering the car.

How was the car in off roading ?
IMHO, as long as you want to preserve Warranty, you will have to incur the expenses at their specified time intervals.