Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2008, 00:35   #1
BHPian
 
car_whizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 35
Thanked: 0 Times
Unhappy Rust in 3 doors Under warranty in optra

Hi,
MY Optra of 2006 has developed rust in 3 doors under warranty. I took it to Vijai Motors and they promptly informed GM for replacing the doors under warranty. It has been more than 15 days since it has been reported. Meanwhile, in the initial days, I received calls twice from GM informing that this replacement is undergoing internal approvals. Now they are silent . Did anyone here underwent any similar experience ?

Thanks
car_whizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 11:15   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,735
Thanked: 89,308 Times
Default

In such cases, it does take a while to get company approval. However, do you really want to replace three doors? That will lead to a significant amount of stripping, body work and painting on a 2 year old car. If the rust formation is not substantial, I would rather get tin work / repair performed only on the affected parts. At the company's cost.

If the problem is severe, then its best to get the doors replaced. While you are at it, why not pay them a difference amount and get the entire car an overcoat of paint too? Will look fresh and there wont be a problem of colour mismatch.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 11:43   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,740
Thanked: 4,321 Times
Default

@c_w, pls post some pics of the affected doors ?
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 11:46   #4
BHPian
 
car_whizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 35
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Thanks GTO,
The GM dealership recommended replacement of the doors. As the problem is on three doors, I suspect that there is a paint issue on all the doors. And I'm afraid that there will be problem on the fourth door as well. And even the rust may be spreading onto other areas as well in future. So replacing the doors look the best option to me.

I think I'll take the idea of asking them for a paint overcoat. One question. Will a Teflon coating ensure that I don't have rust formation on the surface in future ? I'm planning to get that done as well.
car_whizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 11:54   #5
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,202
Thanked: 2,094 Times
Default

I have a similar situation in my NHC. The bottom corners of my doors are beginning to rust, the car is 4 years old.

I live on the sea front so this does play havoc in such situations, but i haven't seen any modern day car rust like this.
None of my other cars have this problem, I don't think other NHCs in my building are rusting either.

I called the dealership and they mentioned that body work warranty is only 2 years...so this would not be covered.
Frankly i think this is quite short, a car rusting in 4 years is just not done !

I am going to think twice before considering a Honda again.

Last edited by Sahil : 24th July 2008 at 11:56.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 12:22   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 477
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I have a similar situation in my NHC. The bottom corners of my doors are beginning to rust, the car is 4 years old.

I live on the sea front so this does play havoc in such situations, but i haven't seen any modern day car rust like this.
None of my other cars have this problem, I don't think other NHCs in my building are rusting either.

I called the dealership and they mentioned that body work warranty is only 2 years...so this would not be covered.
Frankly i think this is quite short, a car rusting in 4 years is just not done !

I am going to think twice before considering a Honda again.
Thats bad. Guys any idea why this is happening?

I mean is a isolated problem or a NHC problem or a sea front problem?

ELito
Elito11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 12:29   #7
BHPian
 
kapilsharma80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 177
Thanked: 25 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In such cases, it does take a while to get company approval. However, do you really want to replace three doors? That will lead to a significant amount of stripping, body work and painting on a 2 year old car. If the rust formation is not substantial, I would rather get tin work / repair performed only on the affected parts. At the company's cost.

If the problem is severe, then its best to get the doors replaced. While you are at it, why not pay them a difference amount and get the entire car an overcoat of paint too? Will look fresh and there wont be a problem of colour mismatch.
a complete paint job would definitely look neat but wont it bring down the resale value of the car, consedering the finish, which is generally not at par with factory fresh paint.
kapilsharma80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 12:29   #8
Team-BHP Support
 
Rudra Sen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,404
Thanked: 4,092 Times
Default

GM dealership is right here. Do not go for repair or even talk about it. Your car is under warranty and GM will oblige.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 13:51   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,175
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

I think this represents another instance of a reported problem with GM cars on this forum. It also represents another instance where GM has been silent, or delayed, or denied the claim. Search this forum. What is the credibility of `no other expense, or 3 yr/45000 (100000 km) warranty from such a manufacturer.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 15:18   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I have a similar situation in my NHC. The bottom corners of my doors are beginning to rust, the car is 4 years old.
Was by any chance the car flooded/immersed in water at any time Sahil?
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 17:08   #11
BHPian
 
The_Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Travelling Most of the time!!!
Posts: 120
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilsharma80 View Post
a complete paint job would definitely look neat but wont it bring down the resale value of the car, consedering the finish, which is generally not at par with factory fresh paint.
My 2 cents....

Agreed, but if he gets 3 doors painted and there is a colour mismatch then imagine his situation when he will be selling his car and it will automatically be termed as accidental (resale value gows down the drain big time). In case if he gets the complete paint job then he can still save some money on the resale.
The_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 18:33   #12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,202
Thanked: 2,094 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Was by any chance the car flooded/immersed in water at any time Sahil?
Never...on any sign of flooding,its my Endeavour that comes to the rescue...all other cars are avoided.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 19:30   #13
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: goa
Posts: 981
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I have a similar situation in my NHC. The bottom corners of my doors are beginning to rust, the car is 4 years old.
I live on the sea front so this does play havoc in such situations.
Yup.
Salt water is the best way to get corrosion started.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 14:13   #14
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,202
Thanked: 2,094 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Yup.
Salt water is the best way to get corrosion started.
So whats the best way to cure the problem?
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 01:44   #15
BHPian
 
car_whizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 35
Thanked: 0 Times
Smile replacement approved.

After 2 months, GM has finally approved the replcement of three doors. They called me to inform about the same. I spoke to the dealership and thay say it takes 5 days, and they advised me not to go for a overcoat. They are saying that they'll match the colour. They are suggesting to go for a teflon coat. Will that be advisable ?
car_whizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beautiful Garage Doors & Shutters - Zenith Doors (Cochin) Philip.Mathew Other Cities 2 26th May 2016 15:24
Fuel-tank Rust Removal (by Electrolysis) & Rust Proofing H3LIOS Motorbikes 30 19th May 2014 14:26
NHC starter problem: HONDA refusing to honour warranty! UPDATE: Warranty honored. vineetmanghani Technical Stuff 48 7th February 2012 00:34
Chevy Optra now with 48 MONTH WARRANTY! GTO The Indian Car Scene 32 31st March 2008 11:55
Is Seat Belt covered under Warranty?? turbofreak Technical Stuff 9 6th February 2007 17:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks