Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th September 2008, 14:55   #106
Senior - BHPian

Hey, I saw your car yesterday at Kammanahalli. Near the Bridgestone shop. You had parked and just then pulled out. My Dad was shocked when I shouted out that the PALIO was only six days old!

I recognised the car by the number-plate design and the white alloys ;-)
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 01:50   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_fan View Post
3> Also my car sometimes gives me a jerk when I engage 2 gear. This happens while engaging 2 gear only. It annoys me while driving.
I am driving petrol cars for the last 10 years never had this jerk issue while driving them.
Have you tried getting to neutral from 1st gear and pushing the gear lever to the extreme left before going into 2nd. The 2nd gear is not directly below 1st, even in Marutis. Maybe that will help. Otherwise refer to my point about the 2nd - 3rd gear ratio issue below.

Quote:
4> At low speed with 3/4 gear car vibrates a lot. I try to avoid this situation but with Bangalore traffic every now and then I land into this and then feels bad about my Palio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by butcherSS View Post
My MJD is about 5 days old. Havnt driven her around much yet. In the lower gears the car has quite some vibrations inside but not the plastics as mentioned. Not sure if that helped but once am doin 30+ its smooth. Although the engine noise is on the higher side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by butcherSS View Post
Also I have been following the 'keep inside 2k RPM' rule ..and I find the shift to 4th too early (which I change from 3rd when I am near the 2k mark) . the car kinda gaargles. Any advice ?
One way to eliminate "gargles" and dashboard vibrations is to shift correctly. Please have some patience while I describe my experiences.

The only problem I find with the gear ratios on the MJD is the huge difference between the 2nd and 3rd ratios, especially when you have the restriction of RPM during running-in. When you are out of power on 3rd and you downshift... your RPM goes too high for 2nd. At 2 k on the tacho in 2nd gear, you shift to 3rd, and the car vibrates due to lack of power. Used to happen all the time to me in city driving and was very irritating.

The way I solved it was that I shifted at 2200 RPM instead of 2000 RPM. It helped by keeping me in the powerband, and still not over-revving the engine.

Remember another thing, if the car doesn't vibe at 1100 RPM on 1st gear, it doesn't mean it will not do so at 1100 RPM on 3rd. The lowest possible RPM from which you can pull cleanly increases with gears. While 1200 RPM pulls well on 2nd gear, it gives vibes when you are in 5th. And the 5th is good enough only after 60 KPH. Below, you get dashboard vibes and "gaargles".

My Running-in RPM limits were as follows:
0-500 kms: 1800 RPM (Painful, full of vibrations and occassional lugging)
500-1000 kms: 2200 RPM (Much better but hated 2nd and 3rd)
After 1st Service and Oil change
1000-3000 kms: 3000 RPM (exploited turbo better, starting getting 15+ KPL in this stupid Delhi traffic)
3000 kms onwards: No limits as such, but rarely do I need to go beyond 3000 RPMs, except in boy racer mode, when 3500 RPM is the time to shift. In performance mode when you want the turbo to be in action, you have to between 2000-3500 RPM all the time (expect 1-2 kpl drop in FE).

Hope this helps.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 10:21   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
I recognised the car by the number-plate design and the white alloys ;-)
Yea. It was me.

I saw one white SDX from Vincent Pallotti church y'day. The first SDX I m seeing other than mine!

@Architect...
Thanks Bro! I think you have done ur homework well!cheers:
TomRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 10:25   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

What i don't buy is the logic of NOT using turbo in first 500km. If it was important, company would've told/metioned the same - but that is NOT hte case. Rest, agree with arch's logic
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 11:14   #110
BHPian

Architect and i disagree on this: 'The gap between 2nd and 3rd'

both of us agree it is there in new cars only in mine it went away after a few hundred km and his didn't.

Today I take 2nd upto 2000-1800 rpm just above 20kmph and switch to 3rd RPM goes to just above 1000 and it pulls decently if the speed does not below 20 kmph during gear change.

Earlier that 20kmph limit was around 25kmph RPM in that case would be close to 2200 at the time of shifting and with hard gear and clutch pedal i used alway drop around 20 ish causing a shudder.

The car shudders and vibrates and rides rough when it is new. Dont be scared.

When it smoothens out it is almost scary (for outsiders i mean)

yesterday after church (so i expect the surrounding to be quiet enough) i was leaving the compound and the guard was sitting facing the road he did not see me approaching the gate to exit, it was evening with and i had not switched on my main lights so that i dont disturb anyone. I was right behind the guard and facing the road when i switch the low beams on; poor chap nearly fell out of his chair, he had not heard me coming and i could not be more than 5 feet away. i was on 1st and just above idle speed. (Imagine seeing a sudden bright light behind you when you are sitting outside a church, ok christian joke but could not resist)

moral of the tale: wait for it; all the shuddering gargling will stop just drive patiently the gears pedals all become smooth as butter.
AadiAtPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 20:35   #111
Senior - BHPian

Tom,
How is your car doing and when are you going to meet me? I wanna see your palio.
djay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 09:50   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Tom,
How is your car doing and when are you going to meet me? I wanna see your palio.
Hey DJ. The car is doing gr8. Some minor rattling issues (with the rear parcel tray) are there. The rest is fine. Will give a proper review report after the 2nd service.

And abt the meeting, u have a PM.
TomRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 12:07   #113
BHPian

Thanks Architect and Aadi for your reply.

Here is an update of my Palio MJD.

First thing is I went to Green tracks on Wednesday and they have sorted out my rattling issue. No more rattles except the parcel tray.

Till now I have driven this car for 3000Kms and yesterday first time I have checked my car's fuel average with autocut to autocut method.

Filled up full tank on Thursday night with autocut method, driven car for 35kms inside Bangalore on Friday. Saturday morning went to Pondicherry. I cam back on Sunday night with diesel still remaining in my car (no refills on the way). Again went to IOC BTM Water tank Petrol bunk for refueling. Filled 37 Litres with Autocut and by that time I had driven 707 Kms. So the average comes out to be 19Km/ltr. I had driven with Ac on 70 % and speed 80-100kms/hr.

I want to know from all the Palio MJD owners/experts --

Is it a good fuel efficiency ?
Measuring an average of the car with autocut method is appropriate?
IOC/BP/HP whose normal diesel is better? I use IOC normal diesel.
fiat_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 12:32   #114
BHPian

@ fiat fan yes the efficiency is good , infact its great ... stick the IOC normal diesel and nothing else.
chetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 22:50   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Architect and Aadi for your reply.

Here is an update of my Palio MJD.

First thing is I went to Green tracks on Wednesday and they have sorted out my rattling issue. No more rattles except the parcel tray.

Till now I have driven this car for 3000Kms and yesterday first time I have checked my car's fuel average with autocut to autocut method.

Filled up full tank on Thursday night with autocut method, driven car for 35kms inside Bangalore on Friday. Saturday morning went to Pondicherry. I cam back on Sunday night with diesel still remaining in my car (no refills on the way). Again went to IOC BTM Water tank Petrol bunk for refueling. Filled 37 Litres with Autocut and by that time I had driven 707 Kms. So the average comes out to be 19Km/ltr. I had driven with Ac on 70 % and speed 80-100kms/hr.

I want to know from all the Palio MJD owners/experts --

IOC/BP/HP whose normal diesel is better? I use IOC normal diesel.
The FE Would had been much better if you would had done a tank full after the city ride.I did the same trip,same Day,Saturday morning went to Pondicherry came back on Sunday night but did not saw your car,I got an excellent/mind blowing FE:

Did a full tank at Housor Road after bad city drive on Saturday morning was not expecting much but still Got 20.8 Km/ltr odo reads 374 kms
This is the 2nd time I have got such mind blowing city drive FE A Happy man was now on his way to pondy,reached pondy did a full tank
again FE this time jumped to 22.6 Km/ltr Filled 13.2 Litres full tank to full tank odo reads 294 kms with Ac on 80 % and speed 90-110kms/hr.
While coming back stoped again for Housor Road a full tank This time FE dropped to 21.7 Km/ltr ,Filled 15.4 Litres because of pondy city drive odo reads 305kms. & The Car was fully loaded with 5 people as my whole family had come down to celebrate 'Eid ul Fitr .

Yes

IOC/BP/HP whose normal diesel is better?
Use normal diesel.
jazzy_2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2008, 22:42   #116
BHPian

Your car's average is too good.
Only difference, I am seeing in your car and my car is mine is still at 3000kms and have not gone for 2nd service. Probably i will also get same fuel efficiency after 2nd service.

Have you changed engine oil after 1st service?

Which petrol bunk you use for diesel in bangalore?
Old 7th October 2008, 23:10   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Your car's average is too good.
Only difference, I am seeing in your car and my car is mine is still at 3000kms and have not gone for 2nd service. Probably i will also get same fuel efficiency after 2nd service.

Have you changed engine oil after 1st service?

Which petrol bunk you use for diesel in bangalore?
Very true pal,I am also sure that all MJD owners will get the same once the 2nd service is done , the best part I like is the Engine Noise,THERE was NO Engine Noise ,
Its Next to "SUPER SILENT".I just did one thing different from the rest followed things as told by Fiat which recommends Oil Change and Oil Filter Change only at second service.

I go to Indian Oil in hosur ,Normal diesel @ Rs 37.40
Old 8th October 2008, 09:34   #118
BHPian

As you have not mention the thing which you did differently, I assume that it was a oil and filter change before 2nd service. Did you change them in 1st service itself?

If this thing can enhance my engine performance and life then I believe its worth the extra bucks. My car has done 3400kms till now so I think this the best time for changing oil and filter.

Experts your comments needed ...
Old 8th October 2008, 12:14   #119
Senior - BHPian

Hi fiat_fan,

> As you have not mention the thing which you did differently, I assume that it > was a oil and filter change before 2nd service. Did you change them in 1st
> service itself?

No, he did not.

Jazzy has indeed mentioned what he did differently. He has followed Fiat's advice and changed oil and filter only at the 2nd service. He has not followed the overwhelming forceful advice here to change the oil at the first service itself.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2008, 14:21   #120
BHPian

Very True ,as said by Trrk ......
Its not that I did not follow the advice of our pals here but I wanted to double check so took the car to Green Tracks to see if changing of the oil and filter is needed but they also said the same thing DO NOT CHANGE ANY THING UNTIL 2nd Service
I had to go for a long trip from Blore to calcutta by road so asked again and again will this be ok "He said : Sir Trust me ,IN MJD we are not suppose to change anything we do it when the customer force us .