Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 4th August 2008, 23:45   #1

Default Palio SDX - driven for a month - some dealer issues

OK. As the heading says, I was delivered the SDX - FR by Manipal motors last month. All is great. I promise to write about the car in my next post. Here is something more important.

When taking the delivery, I found that the floor carpet had an inch cut below the nut on driver side seatbelt fixing spot. I spotted this to the delivery in charge. He first tried reasoning that it was cut to fit the screw and I pointed that it was alright on the left side, he was stuck. He promised me that it'd be addressed during my first service (I thought replace). I promptly took the delivery after having a word with my sales person.

Later, to my disappointment, I saw that there was a big cut below the driver seat. I calmed down after realizing that it is Palio "style". But I was still disappointed because the small square cut was torn on all corners. It was same fate with the other cars as well (show room display car as well).

I rushed to Manipal motors (KR road) to meet their GM. Who after listening to my story shouted at his boys (because of other delivery issues). Promised me action next day when I give it for servicing.

After servicing I was told by the service manager that it was delivery dept. issue and I should follow up with them. I mailed the GM again. This time he called me after an hour and was in defensive mode. He said his delivery people don't remember having seen this cut and it probably happened when I was getting my player/central lock installed. I was almost furious. Told him to talk to delivery in charge and I'd see him in the evening.

Evening when I went there, he was busy with someone. He signaled me to wait. Immediately two delivery people came by and asked me show the car. I took them to car and one of them who had delivered me immediately accepted that the cut was present during the delivery and he remembers it. I asked him what next? The whole story changed. He started pleading guilty. His colleague covered him saying he's new. Both of them kept asking for excuse. They told me that if I escalate, it'd eventually go from their pocket as Fiat will not accept that it was manufacturing defect and PDI dept. will not accept that they had overlooked it.

I was stuck. Did not know what to do. I asked them about their GM trying to blame me. They pleaded excuse on his behalf as well.

They both promised me that it'd be repaired tomorrow and asked me to get the vehicle to airport road service station. I left the place nodding.

I'm not sure I did the right thing. I want to take action and make the responsible person pay for it. But, I'm also concerned that it'd be that delivery guy. It's a small cut. But, it's a matter of negligence.

There were other issues as well. The car was fit with Indica mud flaps. Sun films was not done correctly. When I met the GM first time, he asked me to take the vehicle to workshop and replace the flaps and SF.

Experts, I need some advice here. Should I follow this up and stick to my guns (magnitude of the damage isn't important)? Should I go and talk to Manipal motors CEO and complain about GM not trusting me on my complaint? Should I just warn the delivery people and get it repaired.
ittiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 07:54   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittiam View Post
Experts, I need some advice here. Should I follow this up and stick to my guns (magnitude of the damage isn't important)? Should I go and talk to Manipal motors CEO and complain about GM not trusting me on my complaint? Should I just warn the delivery people and get it repaired.
I am not an expert but I would suggest you take up the issue seriously with FIAT management. You have paid for a brand new car and you should get everything intact. Manipal motors are being very careless and indifferent to your request. If you leave it at this they will keep doing such things as they please. Don't worry about the sales person, he will be ok even if he has to bear his managers fault.
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 09:14   #3

To make myself clear, I was looking for replacement and not repair. The delivery people promised me a repair.
ittiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 09:22   #4
BHPian

sorry to hear your situation, for a second opinion just ask green tracks of how serious this issue & can that be fixed , if fixed will it last life of the car......

in parallel pl take up the issue with FIAT management & escalate. do not let it stand still... you are only doing social service for other newbies....

Also manipal motors has now become pathetic & lethargic to both sales & services.. for service go to Green tracks or Concorde on mysore road... these guys are atleast competent...

FIAT, always....
sanjaymugur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 11:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ittiam, I suggest you to escalate this issue to Manipal CEO, it was disgusting that GM tried to blame you instead of accepting his staff's mistake, so firstly, the GM should be taken to task, and since the delivery guy accepted that this issue was there at delivery, ask him to replace it!
Else threaten them you will escalate this matter to Fiat India.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 11:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Itiam thats bad, i guess people have to learn from this...

I happend to take a test drive of Palio 1.6 in Mangalore, when i asked the executive if they have a test drive vehicle he prompltly said that they dont have a PAlio TD vehicle but i can TD a brand new car which will be sold to someone....i feel this is not right???

I guess people should be careful before taking delivery of your brand new cars!!!
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 12:07   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Itiam thats bad, i guess people have to learn from this...

I happend to take a test drive of Palio 1.6 in Mangalore, when i asked the executive if they have a test drive vehicle he prompltly said that they dont have a PAlio TD vehicle but i can TD a brand new car which will be sold to someone....i feel this is not right???

I guess people should be careful before taking delivery of your brand new cars!!!

The Same occured with me...the Sales guy said he can arrange a Palio Stile 1.6 of a new customer ordered for a TD...i promptly said NO! Someday it can happen to me also...

One of the reasons for such malpractice is now Palio Stile 1.6 are only made when a Order is placed atleast thts the case I found in Mumbai/Navi Mumbai. Its like "Make for Order" from the production plant. TATA-FIAT dealers do not keep a stock of 1.6 nowdays.

Sad story....but nothing can be done!
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 15:22   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I don't think it is a big deal; Fiat does not have the same attention to detail or fit / finish of...say...Hyundai. A badly cut carpet should not stop you from enjoying your new car. Don't sweat over it and relish the rest of the car instead.

I can understand why you would lose your head over the GM back-tracking on his statement though.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 16:51   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh its okay man. Either live with most of these minor niggles, or just write a complaint to Fiat. That will prod people into action.

After a completely apathetic experience at the hands of Dhingra motors, my whole Palio plans are in limbo. Yest 1am's mail to some higher ups at Fiat has gotten me a full seven people calling me, not to mention the dealer people themselves.

Is it too much to expect decent service (you cant beat Hyundai reps on sheer persistence), or must one always adopt the email approach for any decent semblance of service?

PS: Workshop at Dhingra is slated to be overhauled within 4-6 weeks, so I've been told. Time will tell.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 17:16   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Else threaten them you will escalate this matter to Fiat India.
Threaten them to escalate to FIAT India !!! Do you expact immediate action from them ? FIL is not MSIL.
Ajay_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 17:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

I suggest just go forward fogetting such issues If its not too serious.

I had faced similar issues when I baught Swift from BIMAL, I realized I have to live with such small niggles. Even their CEO is not smooth to deal with very much business minded people they are, they didn't care for customer service.

I took revange by showing them on their face few potential buyers after test driving either baught Swift from other dealers or baught some other car who couldnot live with Swift's niggles. After that I sold my Swift to my friend who liked my car and deal!

What I learnt is few things cant be solved easily we think. Either we have to live with or sell it!

Winning against much mean mentality and business oriented company is never tough one.

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 17:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think being a perfectionist one will suffer a lot, esp when it comes to products and services offered in India(not sure of abroad)
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 19:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
Threaten them to escalate to FIAT India !!! Do you expact immediate action from them ? FIL is not MSIL.
Ahh! You have dealt only with MSIL so far!
Any matter escalated to Fiat India is taken very seriously by Fiat, the concerned dealer/SC is immediatly taken to task!
Example: Please check the below post on this thread itself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
After a completely apathetic experience at the hands of Dhingra motors, my whole Palio plans are in limbo. Yest 1am's mail to some higher ups at Fiat has gotten me a full seven people calling me, not to mention the dealer people themselves.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 00:48   #14
BHPian

plz see that the issue is addressed to as soon as possible by the dealer.u have to be on their head.if they dont do much just take the matter up with fiat.
n enjoy ur new ride dude
shantyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 09:23   #15
BHPian

Its just attitude of the GM and also his work force, i'm sure the technicians are just playing you on a sentiment, dont attach any importance, tell them you will escalate to their CEO and upto FIAT/TATA service GM if they dont replace it... thats the only hard way we can teach them a lesson to handle their cusomers well!

This isnt the car's fault, so dont hate it, but just enjoy maadi...

Last edited by AirWind : 6th August 2008 at 09:25.
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote