Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 11th August 2008, 00:31   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
If I can get my hands on a Civic-Hybrid with CVT (not possible at present since it is upwards 20 lakhs!), I bet I can acheive 50 kmpl (yes, 50 kilometers per litre!) on real-indian roads with pot-holes, cows, stray-dogs, etc.
I seriously doubt that tall claim.
deepakvrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 13:25   #17
BHPian

Default hypermiling

[quote=motorheadinc;934797]and how do you think thats possible?
AFAIK hybrids can give upto twice or maybe say 2.5 times max mileage vis a vis normal variant, that too when driven sedately at constant 80 +/- 5 kms speeds.

My regular civic-auto gives me up-till 16kmpl during very careful driving in very bad roads now. After proper four-lane highways are over, and I hold a steady speed of around 75kmpl it may be possible to get around 18 to 20 kmpl. So I calculated that in hybrid, I can make the electric-motor do most of the work, and most of the time I can 'coast' (take my foot of the accelerator, to avoid braking) so that both the electric-motor and the engine is shut-off.

A google search of 'Hypermiling' gives many techniques to acheive the near-impossible!
manim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 13:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hi manim,

> keep a steady speed of around 75kmph (1500rpm), Need to sense the 5th
> gear falling in-place, I got a max of 16kmpl, but can maintain 15kmpl over a > long period.

The 75kph @ 1500 RPM was a surprise! In my CVT at its higher gearing 1500RPM corresponds to 60kph.

Then I dug up an old issue of Overdrive (September 2006). Surprisingly, the AT has a very tall 5th ratio - 0.524 (50.34kph @ 1000RPM. The manual has a normal 0.724 (37.50kph @ 1000RPM.

The AT mileage city / highway is 7.9 / 16.8 kpl respectively, whereas the figures for the manual are 9.1 & 15.5.

Enjoy the AT and its fuel efficiency.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 15:22   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Did you upgrade from manual to automatic? Or is it a fresh purchase? Its a bit unclear from your post.
If its converted, could you please post the cost, time and where you got it done from?
sorry for confusion, its BRAND NEW, and I think conversion is not possible here, not sure though

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
First, congratulations. Great buy. Welcome to the Civic club and that too an AT. Drive hard, drive safe. I have an AT myself and its a pleasure to drive especially in a traffic madhouse like Bangalore !!
Thanks buddy... if banglaore is madhouse then Delhi is worth it for A/T
Nishant, its a fresh purchase. I don't think he would have converted a MT into an AT.
rightooo
Quote:
I have a Civic-AT for the past one year. When I 'hypermile' on highways I can get 16 kmpl.
When I drive like mad, I get around 8.5 kmpl.
thats make me mad.... here i would like to say something, when you make your mind to buy A/T side by side your pocket als got mentally prepared, so its better i dont think and talk about average
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Congrats a4_attitude!! Its raining white Civics na?
Stock ya modded, no matter. Pictures maangta ASAP!!
Thanks shuvd,,, i never accepetd any other image in my mind for civic, many says to buy silver because of dust and all but who will explain the beauty in white...
picture coming up right away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Congratulations on getting the Civic AT, one of the best ATs around. I'm sure you are now having a blast driving the auto and when want some manual fun the paddle shift is always there
Welcome to the AT club
Thanks Dippy,
I would say that paddle shift is also auotomatic for those who dont know let me explain

if you are driving in paddle shift suppose 5th gear, and all of a sudden you have apply brakes or there is a red light, the gear will automaticall come down as per speed
so manual gears are mainly to increase the gear... and yes it takes time to get use to it

am mediatating now days to contorl my hand its so manual hehehehhehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
Congratulations and we have yet another AT convert :-)
thanks....
Quote:
Originally Posted by RishiSuri View Post
Guys an advice for all AT drivers.. After every 40K Kms do get your transmission fuel changed.
To find out when your transmission fluid is low ...While putting ur car in D or R it goes with a jerk it means transmission fluid is low.. I did not fixed it early and i screwed my whole transmission system of Eclipse 2003 GT. costing me 2300USD. So be cautious how you drive AT it needs care though u get comfort :-)
great of peice of advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Congratulations!!

It is raining white Civics in Team-BHP.
true... I gues white is the only color in civic which looks good as modified with lights and all

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi manim,

> keep a steady speed of around 75kmph (1500rpm), Need to sense the 5th
> gear falling in-place, I got a max of 16kmpl, but can maintain 15kmpl over a > long period.

The 75kph @ 1500 RPM was a surprise! In my CVT at its higher gearing 1500RPM corresponds to 60kph.

Then I dug up an old issue of Overdrive (September 2006). Surprisingly, the AT has a very tall 5th ratio - 0.524 (50.34kph @ 1000RPM. The manual has a normal 0.724 (37.50kph @ 1000RPM.

The AT mileage city / highway is 7.9 / 16.8 kpl respectively, whereas the figures for the manual are 9.1 & 15.5.

Enjoy the AT and its fuel efficiency.
Next week going outside delhi will give it a try....
Attached Thumbnails
Got upgraded to Automatic, its a CIVIC, White-first-day.jpg  

a4_attitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 19:41   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I have a Civic-AT for the past one year. When I 'hypermile' on highways I can get 16 kmpl.
When I drive like mad, I get around 8.5 kmpl.
Drive safe buddy. Some hypermiling techniques are outright dangerous, like tailgating large vehicles.
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 20:14   #21
BHPian

Why hypermile when a nice constant speed of abt 110 in a civic results in around 17KMPL? And I don't have the fancy paddle shift gearbox - just the regular auto. RPM is a little above 2000.
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 20:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Why hypermile when a nice constant speed of abt 110 in a civic results in around 17KMPL? And I don't have the fancy paddle shift gearbox - just the regular auto. RPM is a little above 2000.
The operative word is "constant". Highly improbable in India. Even on the GQ you can't maintain 110 constantly for more than 10 to 15 minutes. Well atleast in the Chennai - Bangalore part of the GQ. I got around 13 once when I kept within that band of 100-110 kmph for a long time.

However I didn't get the Civic to hypermile. Zip and then zooom.. :-)
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 20:45   #23
BHPian

It is good to see more automatics in India. Hoping for a price drop when companies start getting volumes. Those FE figures are out of this world, but yes quite possible considering todays technology meeting a team-bhpians light foot
abhi1309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 21:10   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
However I didn't get the Civic to hypermile. Zip and then zooom.. :-)
Yeah I know! I just love the way it revs even in auto... a quick tap and the RPM needle flies. Have to do it a couple of times during my commute just to keep myself sane . 4.5K is FUN!
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote