Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 31st October 2008, 23:12   #151
BHPian

Hi everyone,

sorry could not take any snaps , nor could i take the beast out for a ride today. My sis's daughter has been admitted to hospital with pneumonia, so was in the hospital after the office hours.

@jaggu: Ya the 800 and VDI are entirely different and the driving school sir commented that the Swift is a Sports Car, after pressing the accelerator

@1001bhp: Yes I am very very happy. Its a matter of pride to own a Swift.Hope you can be a proud owner soon.When is your black beauty coming?Any updates?

@ankit.jhamb: Feeling great sir!! Whenever I see the ABS badge, I think of you. Also I think about the entire episode that happened(cancelling ABS and then getting it back)

@philippose: Unfortunately I had to pay a very high amount on the tyres. But it is a one time cost and hence did not mind much,due to the excitement of having a new car. The next tyres wont be from New Bharat Tyres for sure.

@ilovefls: Yes, the story had lots of twists and turns, but had a very good and happy ending. Really happy. Look at the difference, a forum can bring to your life. It can fetch you things that you wouldnt have got otherwise

I am a person who believe in wearing helmets and seatbelts. But I forgot to wear seatbelts as I am not used to travelling in car as we did not have a car in home.But now onwards I will definitely wear

@TOR: I did not get the wheel balancing and alignment free. That also was paid. The lady said some rubbish when I asked it for free. She was trained to be so cunning it seems.
Yes, I did get the Reebok Track Suit for free. That too because I told her that there is a new offer from Michelin. Till then she did not mention it.
Accessories- Remote Locking, Under body coating,Additional Horn(Could not find the selector switch for the horn, nor did I hear a different tone in the horn), floor mats, steering wheel cover, and mud flaps.

When the car was hoisted for the tyre change, I noticed that there is some rust in the silencer. Shouldnt that be cleared if they had done underbody coating?Got the warranty card ofcourse.
Also no idea if they have added a new horn

@srikant: Will surely post the pictures of the Michelin on the car. I did not notcie the change as I was not driving with JK Tyres. It was the driving school sir who drove with the JK Tyres and then on the Michelin XM1+. He was instantly able to comment on the grip that the tyre provided. The car was steering in the proper way and the feedback he was getting from the tyres might also have been great. Thats why, even he who earlier criticised the move to go for a new tyre, appreciated the new tyres. As far as ride is concerned I think Michelin is better(due to my short travel on JK Tyres, could not notice the difference)

@harry10: Thank you sir. I would like everyone to check their JK Tyres for one thing. Just run your finger along the circumference of the tyre on the side. Are you able to feel bulges(as if the tyre is swollen in some area). I was able to feel that in all four tyres of mine. COuld not find this in the XM1+. This itself proves how dangerous it is to have the stock JK Tyres

@SLK: Shall I guess that you are driving a car that has more than 100bhp? That is why 75bhp feels small to you. But the torque and in-gear acceleration of the Swift is extremely great for people who have never tried cars above 100bhp. Since I have only driven a Maruti 800 previously, the Swift is definitely a Beast

@GSMINC: Unfortunately I got the tyres at a very high cost. But that is one lesson not to take any more tyres from New Bharat Tyres.Ya I got the free gift

@star_aditya: Shall I guess that you are a wannabe Swift Owner in the lookout for buying a Swift? If so , then you have come to the right place so that you can have an idea on what to expect after booking a Swift. It is a Roller Coaster Ride where in the end you are extremely satisfied and relieved. I am!!

@white_vdi: Thanks for being with me throughout the four months. Now when I think that it took me four months to get the Swift, I feel that I really deserve the ABS(since I waited four months). Waiting for such a long period is difficult, but the prize for such a wait is someting great

@tush: So happy to have you all to celebrate this great Diwali gift. And also happy that I could add another VDI ABS to the forum. I think mine is the fifth VDI ABS(not sure, but already another Red VDI ABS is present)

Will keep you all posted and will update with the pictures
raj84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 23:24   #152
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj84 View Post
@SLK: Shall I guess that you are driving a car that has more than 100bhp? That is why 75bhp feels small to you. But the torque and in-gear acceleration of the Swift is extremely great for people who have never tried cars above 100bhp. Since I have only driven a Maruti 800 previously, the Swift is definitely a Beast
Nope, I have a NHC and a few Marutis at home.
No offence to your car or its power, but I'd not call anything less than say 110bhp a beast. b'coz that is an uncommonly high number for India.

75bhp diesel is great, but if this is a beast what is verna! [super beast] and then the Magnum! [Super super beast]

Again, no offence intended but after the NHC i'm left so thirsty for more power that 75bhp doesn't ring any bells.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 23:53   #153
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!! The car looks great. I love the swift engine. Great choice of tyre. Enjoy!!
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 00:02   #154
BHPian

@raj : did u install a new horn? If u didnt, get the roots megasonic or the windtone horn. The pair of megasonic is enough i guess. Those are pretty powerful.
philippose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 09:30   #155
BHPian

congrats raj,
the car looks great,enjoy driving.
thereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 09:45   #156
Awaiting Email Confirmation

The last news i got of my black beauty was that it would be loaded on the 8 th of nov and would be here within 10 days.so keepin my fingers crossed.
1001bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 19:14   #157
BHPian

Hey Raj, the bulges on the older tyre must be a manufacturing defect. You could have got it exchanged from the maruti dealer. But i dont feel any bulge on my stock JK tyres. I have done 25k kms on the ODO and still dont have any problem with the tyres. Michelins are fr better than JK, i accept it though. Will change to Michelins after the existing tyre gets worn off and also will plan for Alloys. Let me see all depends on my finance situation. A Petes box is also on the list after the tyre and alloy upgrades.

Cheers
Srikant
srikant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 12:56   #158
BHPian

Default Update!!

Took the Beast out for a ride today morning. A 20Km journey. I was not sure whether I would be able to drive properly, but decided to take it for a ride. The Beast was very angry for not taking it out for two days, so decided not to keep it idle

Driving Experience

The car did not feel difficult to drive due to the width. It was as simple as driving a Maruti 800.

The car moves on its own when the clutch is released, without accelerator. But this changes when there are three four people on board. Then accelerator is required to keep it moving.

The car struggles a bit on the third gear onwards with AC(three people on board). This is in the 30-40KM speed. Most of the time I had to downshift to second. So very rarely used 4th and 5th gear. This felt strange as my Discover can do 30km speed in 4th gear without any problem

The gear does not slot into fifth properly from fourth. Also I slotted the gear into 2nd from 5th, thinking that it was 4th. That must be due to my lack of experience. So the gearbox is still not working the way I want it to(or is it that I am using it in the wrong way??)

Since I am not an experienced driver, the vehicle moves left or right while I change the gear. This is because I am not able to hold the steering straight with one hand, while changing the gear with the other hand.

Some info at the time of purchase

The car had run only 23KM when I took delivery. The dealer took us to a room(me, father and my sis's husband). There to my surprise was kept a cake with cream topping and something like " Wish you a happy...." written on it. And they gave me a knife and asked me to cut the cake. It was strange for me as I dont even celebrate my birthday by cutting cakes.But I did and they provided the cake to everyone present there.

The dealer also provided a box with tissues and a box of sweets. The number plate was provided without additional cost(they must have taken some money on the accessory part). The number was also painted on the plate at the time of delivery.

The JK tyres on my car unfortunately had bulges. Must be manufacturing defect. But the XM1+ has no such issues. Runs smooth.

Some more pictures that I took today
Attached Thumbnails
Booked my Bright Red Beast- Swift VDI with ABS-dsc00605.jpg  

Booked my Bright Red Beast- Swift VDI with ABS-dsc00606.jpg  

Booked my Bright Red Beast- Swift VDI with ABS-dsc00607.jpg  

Booked my Bright Red Beast- Swift VDI with ABS-dsc00608.jpg  

Booked my Bright Red Beast- Swift VDI with ABS-dsc00604.jpg  

Booked my Bright Red Beast- Swift VDI with ABS-dsc00609.jpg  

Booked my Bright Red Beast- Swift VDI with ABS-dsc00610.jpg  

Old 2nd November 2008, 13:47   #159
BHPian

Thumbs up enjoy the beast!!

i have been watching this thread from day one and couldn't find my time to wish you a very happy future with your new found love..red looks killer for the swift..do let know if your planning for any mods.btw,love to see your enthusiasm,just makes me feel like pre-ponding the purchase of my next car
anyways,safe trip...
ariendj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 17:18   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
i have been watching this thread from day one and couldn't find my time to wish you a very happy future with your new found love..red looks killer for the swift..do let know if your planning for any mods.btw,love to see your enthusiasm,just makes me feel like pre-ponding the purchase of my next car
anyways,safe trip...
@ariendj: Thank you sir. I had earlier planned to go for alloys immediateley after purchase. But due to budget constraints, have post-poned it. The immediate mod is ICE. Will be doing it in a Week. Decided on Pioneer 6050 and JBL Speakers. No Amp and Sub for the time being

What car do you own now. Yes it would be worth waiting till January 2009 for buying a new Swift. When the competition comes out with i20 and Grande Punto, Swift may come in a new Avatar to totally surprise everyone.I am waiting for that(ofcourse not to buy, as I cant afford another car soon)

@SLK: I did not take it as an offence. You are welcome sir!!.I can understand your need for speed , as the NHC definitely needs more power. 78bhp is not enough. But just some interesting fact that I found out. The in gear acceleration times of Swift VDi, NHC,Verna CRDI and Optra Magnum.I took out the "What Car?" magazine and checked the same and found the statistics given below

20-80kmph(3rd gear) timing

NHC - 13.56 seconds
Optra Magnum - 12.80 seconds
Verna CRDI - 12.34 seconds
Swift VDI - 11.96 seconds

40-100kmph(4th gear) timing

NHC - 17.6 seconds
Optra Magnum - 14.90 seconds
Verna CRDI - 16.35 seconds
Swift VDI - 14.14 seconds

Now this clearly demonstrates that Swift is definitely a Beast. Ofcourse it cant hold a candle to the other two diesel cars in overall performance and top speed. But in overtaking scenario, Swift will be the one that will be quickest.
Old 2nd November 2008, 17:28   #161
BHPian

Hi Raj... congrats on your new car...

1 question though - isn't the Vdi with abs fully loaded with auto temp control and music system?
i am thinking of buying a black Vdi and had the impression it would have the above two things...
Machine freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 18:16   #162
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj84 View Post
@SLK: I did not take it as an offence. You are welcome sir!!.I can understand your need for speed , as the NHC definitely needs more power. 78bhp is not enough. But just some interesting fact that I found out. The in gear acceleration times of Swift VDi, NHC,Verna CRDI and Optra Magnum.I took out the "What Car?" magazine and checked the same and found the statistics given below
Now that's some interesting piece of statistics. [I won't ever be cought driving the NHC at 40 in 4th or 20 in 3rd though]

I'm myself waiting/ desperately waiting to buy a powerful diesel hatch. Will wait for the i20. If they get a 1.5CRDi or 1.6CRDi - I'll book it the first day [in a Red avatar].

Never the less - congratulations on your car - I do like the looks of a Red SWIFT and its potential in looking HOT with good alloys, decals, etc.

Last edited by SLK : 2nd November 2008 at 18:22.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 18:23   #163
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Raj
your car looks awsome
Raj that steering cover looks tacky,get something better or get rid of it.

@machine freak you are reffering to Climate control and Integrated music system they are offered as OEM in swift Z series(ZXi and Dzire ZDI).
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 18:31   #164
BHPian

Raj congratulations on your new car,your colour choice is also excellent.Why is there no music system.......
team suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 18:33   #165
BHPian

@SLK: The i20 is definitely a car to look out for. With the CRDI engine it will be a pocket rockt like the Getz CRDI. I read in the November Autocar India that it will be coming with a 1.4 CRDI.

Also to look forward to is the possibility of the 1.3 Multijet engine with Variable Geometry turbo developing 90bhp(coming on the Linea) being used in different cars by different manufacturers. Add a Petes to it and you have the true Beast

@akshay4587: Yes the steering wheel cover looks as if it comes from an Ambassodor as I have travelled mostly in an Amby till now. I have seen such covers in Amby only.Does not match the Sporty nature of Swift. Will get rid of it for sure

@team_suzuki: Thank you sir!! Music system will be done in a Week. No Good ICE shop in Trivandrum. Will have to adjust with an average ICE system

Last edited by raj84 : 2nd November 2008 at 18:35.