Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 23rd August 2008, 16:55   #1

Default Booked a Fiery Black Scorpio VLX

Hi Guys
Been on the sideline for over a year and have thoroughly enjoyed every post on this forum. Special mention to Sam Kapasi's travelouges and the Scorpio/Safari spats full of jibes.
OK - to the point now. My IKON is 4 years old and with 55K on the odo it was time for it to be replaced. With much discussion and mental gymnastics, I have booked for a Black Scorpio VLX today.
Why Scorpio?
- Wanted a 7 seater. parents live with me and with 2 kids growing up fast wanted something that could seat all 6 (includes the other half) fairly comfortably.
- Some thing not to large/long that it becomes difficult to take those U turns and manage parking
- diesel as running averages 80 - 100 Kms a day
the other vehicles that i considered were
Fiesta TDCi SXI - loved this car, handles like a charm and the diesel is so quiet. the interiors were plush. Rejected as it was not a 7 seater and 9.3 on the road it was quite expensive for a mid sized sedan. Also did not want another FORD.
Innova V - what a beauty, some day all indian manufacturers should be able to achieve this level of quality. interior was huge. great feel inside and was a breeze to drive. was not sure of parking as it felt too bulky. Was also above the budget. Showroom experience was another high, they treat you like a king
Safari - Oooh the wife loved this vehicle. she ripped it on the test drive on the tiruvanmiyur beach. the tata guys jumped out of the skin. interior space was excellent. 2 problems it is not a true 7 seater and could not do the U turn outside the house. since i have to do the U atleast twice a day we rejected this vehicle.
Well as someone said, each to his own, the scorpio meet all the needs and it is now booked. delivery will be around 3rd sep. will post the experience then.
Meanwhile need your advice on the following:
- VLX comes with tint glasses. is sun control required?
- i am not too keen on the bull bar. what is the risk of not using one
- should i get the teflon coating and underbody rust treatment done. it will cost an additional 9K.
- wanted to get art leather/vinyl seat covers as my brats tend to stamp over the seats. did not like the ones that Mahindra provides. any place in chennai where i can check this out.
- the audio system did not seem to have that thump but i did not spend too much time on it. the HU cannot be chnaged any suggestions on how to improve it. pls give me some low cost options as i am very low on Vitamin M !!!!
last but not the least - the IKON has been a marvellous car and i have had no issues on the car. the service from ford has been excellent. having said this, the resale for the 2004 FLAIR is pathetic... i am bleeding heavily on this

so long...
skmurthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 20:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

ok Mr. murthy, here are my few cents:
1) VLX does come with tinted glasses but i would advise you to go for sun control films considering the intense heat and temperature down south.
2) there is no risk of not using a bull bar. infact the bull bar puts you at risk defeating the whole purpose of the crumple zone of the vehicle. the only risk i can get is that you may damage your bumper in minor shunts in city traffic. but rest assured, the scorpio's bumper is pretty durable.
3) i have gone for teflon coating but not underbody rust treatment. both are unnecessary actually as modern paint jobs dont require such treatments. go for it only if you house is on the seashore!
4) no idea about the covers as i am not from chennai.
5) if you are really an audiophile, you must change the head unit. i have put an amp, 2 sony 400 W speakers, a 16" subwoofer along with the 4 standard speakers but its worth only if the head unit is changed. i am a bit reluctant as i will lose the steering mounted controls.

the resale value of the scorpio is terrific buddy, no worries. it will seldom give you any major maintainence issues. so enjoy your ride. congrats on your new scorpio, you will have a joyful experience!
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2008, 10:28   #3

Unhappy Delivery Delayed

Hi Guys

Disappointment big time. The vehicle was to be delivered on 3rd Sep is now delayed by atleast a week.

Raj - thanks for the inputs, i think i will get the rust treatment, leave the ICE as is. Want to see the tints on the glass properly before deciding on sun film. Appreciate if you can drop the Mr. and SK is fine.

cheers and so long...
Old 1st September 2008, 11:54   #4
BHPian

Congrats for zeroing down on this superb vehicle SK!
I am also going to follow you (most probably for Scorpio vls) after having the same kind of head punching for Scorpio, Innova & Safari. Post the pictures once you get the vehicle.

Cheers!
deepgautam_qa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2008, 15:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on booking the scorpio murthy. Do update with your delaership experience and post some pics after you receive the vehicle.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2008, 16:43   #6
BHPian

What's the discount you got. I just got following in Delhi
VLS: 10.70 (Will get 18500/- discount on it)
VLX : 11.40 (Will get 21500/- discount on it)

Did you get discount more than these?
sam003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2008, 17:22   #7

Sam - there is an offer on with free insurance so that is a straight Rs.32,711 off. but this was for the month of aug and i have paid up to ensure that the dealer keeps this offer. i suspect that this offer will continue into September, check it out.

VLX in chennai is Rs.10,15,161 ex-showroom + Rs.86,213 for tax and registration. as insurance is free the on road comes Rs.11,34,000/- . A corporate discount of Rs.7,000 and basic accessories worth Rs.5,000/- are also offered over this.

I will post the pictures and the dealership experience once the vehicle is in hand. Just got to know that it has been billed and shipped only last Saturday.

cheers ......
Old 1st September 2008, 18:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

hey SK, i bet its worth the wait...
sam... i got a discount of just 10,000 on my VLX 3 months back!
Old 5th September 2008, 17:19   #9

Thumbs up Light at the end of the Tunnel

Hi Guys

just got to know that the vehicle has reached the dealer's yard. I am going to see her tomorrow and do the inspection. Registration should be on Monday. Expecting to take the deliver on Tuesday 9th Sept (oh what a day!!!!)

cheers and so long...
Old 10th September 2008, 11:12   #10

Default Got it finally!!!

Hi Guys
Finally, i got the mHawk yesterday. I am attaching some pictures, they are from a mobile phone hence not of great quality.
I am penning down some impressions etc which may be of use to others.

Buying Experience
==================
Bought the Scorpio from MPL Mahindra in Chennai. The showroom is adequate and the sales staff were good. Since i also interacted with Toyota during this period, i must say the showroom experience was far better there. However there is a very thin line dividing the staff between the two.
I was attended too by Azagarima who was knowledgable but also knew his limits of authority. During negotiation he put me on to his manager Bala who then handled the closure. Only grouse that i have is both do not call back. They answer you when you call them back but they never call you back.
I feel i got a good deal from MPL.
Delivery Experience
====================
MPL handled the delivery perfectly. they were ready for me at the agreed time. I was explained the documentation and the vehicle fully. They gave a hamper consisting of a ganesha, home made chocolates and a key chain. A quick pooja and we were off. Oh, they organised for a full tank of diesel (with the shortage around, i did not want to be in a queue) however i had to pay for it (they provide only 10 litres).
Initial Driving Experience
============================
Took a while to get used to the dimensions and height. Once done, it was great fun to drive around. The vehicle is quiet and smooth. The gears were a bit stiff but i guess it will ease over a period.Got to still get fully used to the reversing sensors. In a late night drive used the cruise control and was quite impressed. it is quite a convinience.The music system is just about OK.

i will post more updates as i use it more. Planning to drive down to Bangalore this weekend.

cheers and so long
PS - Mods can you modify the title to "Fiery Black Scorpio VLX delivered"

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags. Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post. Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support Staff
Attached Thumbnails
Booked a Fiery Black Scorpio VLX-image_177.jpg  

Booked a Fiery Black Scorpio VLX-image_179.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th September 2008 at 12:02. Reason: Font tags
Old 10th September 2008, 13:41   #11
BHPian

congratulations moorthy. welcome to tbhp. Do lot of travelling & You can post the pics of your love in the Scorpio thread. looking forward to lots of it.

BTW I didnt like that blue carpet. :-)
mansidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 13:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Wish you all the very best! Welcome to Scorpio Country - Scorps are all "brothers" under the skin.
Enjoy and drive safe.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 14:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Heartiest Congratulations for becoming Scorpio owner!

By the way what is the pocket is for at the central console? Is it for IPod or so?
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 14:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

congratulatins sir! enjoy your ride
Old 10th September 2008, 15:15   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansidea View Post
congratulations moorthy. welcome to tbhp. Do lot of travelling & You can post the pics of your love in the Scorpio thread. looking forward to lots of it.

BTW I didnt like that blue carpet. :-)
mansidea - will do, however, i think good images are required to do justice to that thread, please give me a couple of days. that carpet is not actually blue it is transparent footmat that came with the vehicle, somehow looks blue in that photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Heartiest Congratulations for becoming Scorpio owner!

By the way what is the pocket is for at the central console? Is it for IPod or so?
thanks anuj - thats supposedly for a mobile!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
congratulatins sir! enjoy your ride
raj - thanks you have been one of the motivators