Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 29th August 2008, 19:15   #256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Has anyone came around any good solid review which is unbiased and based on facts?
Quite a few people have test driven the car; and their experiences are in the previous pages. Regarding bias, you can look at the period the person has spent on this forum, the number of posts he made and of course, search for posts by that person. You can judge for yourselves whether he is biased.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 19:55   #257
Senior - BHPian

harry10 -I just test drove this car and created another thread with my first impressions
you are welcome to view and decide based on that if you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
A point well made Sir. I noticed the same when i went to tayal motors in Faridabad to check the car and was kinda disappointed the way the tata people are projecting it. IMO the car looks really new from every aspect so why still brand it as a facelift of INDICA is out of my theory
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 21:01   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Quite a few people have test driven the car; and their experiences are in the previous pages. Regarding bias, you can look at the period the person has spent on this forum, the number of posts he made and of course, search for posts by that person. You can judge for yourselves whether he is biased.
Sir i meant the Car magazines and critics not the people on the forum because most people on this forum are reliable and there opinions are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
harry10 -I just test drove this car and created another thread with my first impressions
you are welcome to view and decide based on that if you wish.
Shankar i tried to search your thread but couldn't find. Can you post the link?
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 21:49   #259
BHPian

I think the popularity of the Indica or at least it's potential to generate so many comments should be judged by the number of posts here...I'm going to stick my neck out and say that not the swift or the palio generated so many post on their maiden launch.

My impressions: Visual inspection and hearing it drive away

The car looks much more tighter and taut on the outside and thank god they did away with those claddings around the fender and the running board.

Shut lines are consistent. The front of the car is pretty much dominated by the big headlamps and it has a Peugeot 206 look. From the outside the space esp at the rear was pretty evident. I liked the positioning of the side indicator just infront of the wing mirror...cool.

The back looks pretty ordinary given the fact that you've got used to the Indicas on the road. Wider rubber would give it a much nicer look.

The car was a diesel and I felt it was quieter than the Swift when started and driven away.

Beige interiors and centrally located dials are not to my liking though. Could not get a feel of the interiors as I did not climb inside but on visual inspection the plastics looked pretty well finished with no rough edges.

The swift I bought with my heart but if I buy a car in that segment with my head the vista would be a strong contender.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 15:01   #260
BHPian

Default Little bit of observations on a TD

I test drove Indica (Windows) Vista :-) few hours ago.
Before my observations go away from my memory i am writing those...

Pros:
Comparing to old Indica it has little bit more legroom, new features like Seat hight adjustment, steering wheel tilt adjustment were a plus for cars at this price.

Front console was good, I don't the think the audio system provided was better (May be i was listening some soft music which they had)

Didn't hear any engine noise inside and driving was smooth.

Cons:
Poor quality body work, tail gate was very less weight (Even a two wheeler guy can crash that)
Inner room light was not matching the interiors (Old indica model, they could have used Fiat's Stiles model)

Don't know about the mileage, it should be same since it has the same Xerox copy of Fiat's MJD (With different banner QJT)

Comparing to old Indica this was better than that (no vibrating noise)

I feel they have concentrated on Engine, interiors and exteriors.
they have forgotten quality of work, its not rigid, every door feels like feather (weight less).

Old Indica lovers will love this one too...

Enjoy driving safely....
Black_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 18:10   #261
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I am so glad that the Vista comes equipped with steering tilt adjust. My Indigo feels like a truck due to its awkward steering position.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 21:14   #262

Great stuff Sidindica. It about time Tata woke up from their sweet slumber.
Can't wait till Monday.

-------------------------------------------
About cars, bikes and everything nice : Tata Indica Vista launch pictures
madsarmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 21:39   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I am so glad that the Vista comes equipped with steering tilt adjust. My Indigo feels like a truck due to its awkward steering position.
Plus the seats of Indigo are designed such a way after just a 1 hour drive in city the back and neck starts paining . Vista seems to have done a better job in that respect!
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 22:00   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
that's available only for the Fiat engines. not present for the tata engined TDI version, Wonder why
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 22:28   #265
BHPian

Default Another Test Drive impression of Quadra along with Safire

Had a test drive of both Quadra as well as Safire back to back. Following is my impression.
Before I give my impressions, let me inform the others that Autocar's auto show gives the New Vista a thums-up. Watched it on Utvi. The female on show confessed that she had utmost respect for Ratan tata but she would never have bought a Tata car but today if she has to buy a hatch she will definietely buy the New Vista. Well this is for people, who are waiting for some prefessional feedback. Here goes my impression.

Exterior: First look and it looks big but not unpropotionate from any angle. Palio standing next to Vista looked smaller, actually seemed a car from a segment below. Overall build is good, shut lines are at par with competion. Door opening/closing gives you a premium feel. Door opens with a very less effort, hence someone felt that they are light, but they are not, they close with thud and assurance.

Interiors:Only one word, Awesome. For the price you are going to pay for topend, you will get whole host of goodies, right from integrated music system, rear-wiper, demister, 12v dc outlet(front and back) to tilt steering, driver seat height adjuster. Quality is at par with competion and in some places better. Vista's door handle, power window switches feel much better than Swift's. Dual tone interiors look good, but the touch feel is little hard, a bit of softness would have put it right at the top. Center-console is awesome, I just loved it, trip/odo/temperature in blue gives it premium feel. I think, it is more comfortable than behind because it never gets blocked, where as behind the wheel, it is fully visible only when you are going in the stright line else one of the spokes always hinder the view. Central locking system works smoothly, latches lock with very mild sound. Seats are great, with lumber support in driver's seat, there will be hardly anyone, who will not be able to find the perfect driving position.
Drive, Ride and Handling:
Quadra:Will not talk much about the drive, as the engine is well known. The only difference from swift is that the power delivery is linear, you will not feel the sudden rush of power, which makes you feel it is not as peppy as swift. Gear box is perfect, no more cirbs about it. You can say that NVH, refinement, fun is at par with swift but where these two differ is the ride and handling. Swift is surely a better handler, but let me tell you , Vista is not a bad handler at all. But when it comes to Ride, Vista is leagues ahead of Swift, dare I say even better than Palio. I was really amazed by the ride quality I purposly looked for pot holes, not difficult to find in this season, and Vista just gobbled them with the faint thud everytime it went into one. My only grudge here, when I started the car, it started with shudder and quickly settled down in a sec.
Safire: Well, I drove safire back to back with Quadra. It ofcouse is not as torquy, you have to rev it hard to move on, but it never felt underpowered, specially in city conditions (and there were only 2 peopel in the case), as I could not go beyond 60. The clutch felt even softer than the Quadra. My advice, people going for Swift petrol not for its power, do seriously consider the Vista petrol, It has got whole lot more than the competion and at lesser price.
Overall Conclusion: Tatas have arrived and we customers will surely save more money for the stuff, which others would have sold at higher price. The only reason someone should buy swift over vista is, if you like throwing your car at corners and not bothered about getting yourself thrown while moving over bad roads.

Let me know, if you guys have any questions, as things are fresh in my mind.
rajdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 22:59   #266
BHPian

Thanks for putting first comments on Safire. I have, almost, decided to buy Vista but deciding among the diesel and petrol variants. Similar characteristics (probably with lower bore) does duty on Grande Punto and most reviews in Europe say it is decent powered except for highway driving. Though the engine I came across for GP on net had pretty similar Power and Torque numbers, it was specified as 8 valve in some places. Safire is 16v, right? This petrol engine mated to Fiat's gearbox must be charmer.

Based on your test drive, and if you have driven other small cars like Santro/WagonR, how would you compare the pick-up? I am interested in good overtaking, even with downshift is ok. Did the 13" tyres look really small? How did the gearshift/nvh vary (much better?) compared to diesel one?

I am going to college next year. Currently, have a 5+ old WagonR, whcih served me fine with 62 bhp. Vista's weight is Wagonr with 1 extra person onboard and I am ok with WagonR performancce with even 4 onbaord. Only reason I might buy Diesel is for superior performance as my driving is not that much and mostly in City only. Do you reckon Diesel is worth 90K extra just for performance over Petrol?

Sadly, we are not getting 0-100 & 40-80 numbers on Safire, nor the power band graphs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdoll View Post
Had a test drive of both Quadra as well as Safire back to back. Following is my impression.
Safire: Well, I drove safire back to back with Quadra. It ofcouse is not as torquy, you have to rev it hard to move on, but it never felt underpowered, specially in city conditions (and there were only 2 peopel in the case), as I could not go beyond 60. The clutch felt even softer than the Quadra. My advice, people going for Swift petrol not for its power, do seriously consider the Vista petrol, It has got whole lot more than the competion and at lesser price.
Overall Conclusion: Tatas have arrived and we customers will surely save more money for the stuff, which others would have sold at higher price. The only reason someone should buy swift over vista is, if you like throwing your car at corners and not bothered about getting yourself thrown while moving over bad roads.

Let me know, if you guys have any questions, as things are fresh in my mind.
5kmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 23:05   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

The Vista is to be exported soon. So the company has said (Business Standard, Mumbai 30/08/08) that ABS option and airbags will become available with the export model being launched in another six months.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 23:09   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Hold on my friend Rajdoll, you just recommended the Indica Saffire over the Swift courtesy the goodies? Whoa?!

:headbang
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 23:09   #269
BHPian

Took a test drive too, today, and am more than impressed with the Quadrajet, and the Vista's driveability. The clutch is simply amazing, with not much pressure required to depress it. And the blue-lit LCD doesn't strain the eye, and offers good readability during the day too. Simply put, this is a "wow" car from the Tata's. Hope it does well in it's segment.
dkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 23:25   #270
BHPian

phamilyman

i really do not see anything wrong with buying a car while compromising on power. I have a 62bhp WagonR and with 3 persons onboard, it will weigh in range of Vista with 1 person onboard. Now, if this powerplant is better than Suzuki's (which is good unit as well) and translate those horses to better performance, it will find some market. It'll be bit more on the sluggish side (less than Stile though) but will pack lot of features at 4L.

For instance, i10 Kappa Magna has excellent engine but Vista kills it on ride (critical in India), space (again critical) & strong build. I prefer Vista interiors (combo of beige and gray) over all beige. i10 simply will not have big car comfort inside. i10kappa magna does not have MANY features available on Vista. Swift petrol Vxi is low on features and high on price.

So, it is good price point if Safire unit is smooth enough and packs decent punch for regular commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Hold on my friend Rajdoll, you just recommended the Indica Saffire over the Swift courtesy the goodies? Whoa?!

:headbang
5kmiles is offline   Reply With Quote