Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 5th September 2008, 12:24   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
amit : Cost of spares aside, do you honestly believe that Tata service is better then Skoda?
While I have not experienced Skoda's servicing, I can say that I am happy with the service I get at Tata.

If nothing else, it does not cost me a bomb.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 14:55   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
The guy said he will not take steel wheels. the price is without exchange of steels wheels.
Concorde quoted RS 18000/ for alloys. i forgot to ask whether it is for 4 or 5 wheels.

G and H series are 19360 and E series 17100

http://www.auraalloywheels.com/Models/G21455-1.jpg
http://www.auraalloywheels.com/Models/H21455.jpg
http://www.auraalloywheels.com/Models/E01455.jpg
I Must say H21455 and E01455 looks worth the money . 18000 i think will be 4 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Cost of spares aside, do you honestly believe that Tata service is better then Skoda?
If you go Car by car comparison then obviously Laura is much above but we are talking of A.S.S. He has used 3 tata Indica's till date,Am using an Indigo myself and We both agree Tata has much better service than Skoda.

OOps! 2 posts. Can someone merge them?

Last edited by Zappo : 5th September 2008 at 16:55. Reason: Consecutive posts within 5 mins.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 15:04   #378
BHPian

Question

Was reading a paper while leaving Bangkok today, and saw an article on Bankok Post's Motoring editions first page. no byline on the article...so seemed like a PR work. with the article pitching on Indica Vista being suitable for this nation's eco car project, with Tata already submitting a proposal for the same to Thai govt.
if all this is true the good news is
1. Most likely Tata will soon have ABS and airbags option available in Vista, as most cars here have it. So India should also have it as an option.

though it might be very tough market for Tata as its all Japenese here and there is nothing called a small car. Number of Yaaris/Tida/Jazz you can see on road is as good as Merc A class. (and imagine a Yaaris is expensive than toyota Vios here), will Tata be able to succed with a small car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by METISWHG View Post
Was reading a paper while leaving Bangkok today, and saw an article on Bankok Post's Motoring editions first page. no byline on the article...so seemed like a PR work. with the article pitching on Indica Vista being suitable for this nation's eco car project, with Tata already submitting a proposal for the same

a quick scan i managed of the article (mentions the nano too)
Attached Thumbnails
The New Tata Indica Vista Thread-tata-indica-export.jpg  

Last edited by Zappo : 5th September 2008 at 17:04. Reason: Consecutive posts. Please use the Edit button in the 1st 20 mins if you missed something.
METISWHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 16:44   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
That looks like the Safire demo car! The wheels look the 13 inches ones.
Yes Zappo, that is the Safire. Spotted it near my office today.
safari_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 17:09   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Harry, if I read you right, you are claiming (on the back of a store visit or ?) that Skoda is worse than Tata. VFM no, but "service" itself being lesser than some of my fav tata dealers, now that's saying alot about skoda!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 17:29   #381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Harry, if I read you right, you are claiming (on the back of a store visit or ?) that Skoda is worse than Tata. VFM no, but "service" itself being lesser than some of my fav tata dealers, now that's saying alot about skoda!
I just told the experience of my cousin who has both Laura and Indica that he is more satisfied with the service of Tata than Skoda!
Old 5th September 2008, 18:16   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I just told the experience of my cousin who has both Laura and Indica that he is more satisfied with the service of Tata than Skoda!
Harry i cant understand why would you compare Tata with Skoda ! I understand your cousin had probs wid maint. of Skoda but common you
cant just compare a Laura to a Indica( see the diff of the segments heck you surpassed C segment). Lets stick to the Indica here before
we go OT.
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 18:28   #383
Team-BHP Support

Where is the problem here guys? What Harry is trying to emphasise here is the fact that Skoda with its upmarket image and cars that rank at least a couple of segments higher and cost a bomb still provides service that he considers worst than what his Tata dealer provides him with.

So where do you guys see the problem in here? Accept it and move on... If anything Skoda should be ashamed of it and should think about this. No need for others to get so defensive about it, IMO.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 18:32   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Harry i cant understand why would you compare Tata with Skoda ! I understand your cousin had probs wid maint. of Skoda but common you
cant just compare a Laura to a Indica( see the diff of the segments heck you surpassed C segment). Lets stick to the Indica here before
we go OT.
Karan its not about the segments but the A.S.S. Did i said he has got prob with its maint. ? He has better experience with the services of Tata than Skoda - Thats all!
Anyways we are actually going . So lets be back.
Old 5th September 2008, 22:21   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

Managed to get across to Concorde today, and was able to get a proper view of the Vista. You just cannot deny the spaciousness of the car. The visit to Hyundai to check out the Getz was still fresh, and suddenly the Getz seemed to have shrunk a couple of sizes.

Having had two of the Indica family over the last few years, the improvement in this is unmistakeable. The fit & finish is much better. The plastic quality that guys have mentioned (the door handles etc) is not really as bad as I thought it was. It wasnt perfect, but I wont cry hoarse about those things. I reserve that for other short comings which I noticed.

First, the positives.

Space:
Leg space is just great. Push the front seats all the way to the back, and there is still a comfortable amount of space for the back seat folks. About 10cm more than what I could find in the Getz.

The seats are sufficient higher too (w.r.t the floor of the cabin). This means that when you sit, your things are resting quite well on the bench. (Not so in the Getz). This will mean a more comfortable ride, esp on the longer trips.

The recline of the bench is good.

Front Seats:
Good design, with good lumbar support & side-cushion. Good amount of Elbow room. I liked the feel in the driver's seat. Just that the bonnet is not visible, and you will need to judge your space.

Position
The windows look shorter now, compared to the Indica / Indigo. A more contemporary feel, though not much to my liking. You suddenly seem to be seated a little deeper in the body.

Console:
Is viewable to every one in the car ! Wont be hard to get used to, though initially one is apt to look through the steering wheel to the traditional location.
Switches :
The head-light switch stalk has an integrated head-light leveller switch. Neat !

I liked the feel of the A/c knobs - the action felt so smooth. Switches have generally improved in quality.

Doors:
The doors are now set into the door frame. A full change from the Indica / Indigo family, where the doors were out-side the door frame. I prefer the styling on the Vista - doors being set into the frame.

Wipers:
Also, somebody had mentioned that the Vista has a 5 speed wiper. This is incorrect : the 5 speeds is for the intermittent only, something that is quite standard. Else it's just the regular low & high speed.

The Vista's front wipers seem to be of a different design. Both wipers (left & right) come out of the bonnet very close to each other. The activation of the left wiper is not the same as used to be before.

Now the not-so-good (before I get back to general observations):

Rear Head Room:
Not happy. If I sit up-right in the rear seat, my head's touching the roof. I'm not too tall - just 5'8", and yet could feel the roof. If I moved just an inch or so to the front, there suddenly seems so much more room.

Front seat position lever - intrudes !
The levers that are used to adjust the position the front seats intrude into the leg space. This wont be felt so much by the driver, but the co-driver definitely will.

Btw, the under-seat storage box is not new - it was there in the Indica too ..

They have tried to give a stiff plastic wire harness for the fuel cap, but this doesnt work too well. See the image below, highlighted with a red line running along the harness.

The mini-boot is ok. There is a little more space than the Indica. But I will not complain about the rear suspension mounts taking away boot space. This point is common to hatches - just that the side areas are covered up in cars like the Getz, but it is not covered here).

Wasnt very impressed with the looks of the Stereo, or the feel of the buttons.

The gear box felt better than that of the Sumo Grande too ! Havent taken a TD yet, this was just a 'feel'.

One other thing I noticed is the return of coil springs at the back. Have not seen Tata use them, after the Estate & the Sierra / Safari. Looks like the ride quality will be good.

Didnt want to harass the trainee sales person with technical questions, but did ask her about FE figures. She said 14 for the petrol, with A/c & 17-18 for the QJ, again with A/c.

A look at the prices reveals some intresting differences:

AQUA QJ vs AQUA TDi : a 73k difference in On-road prices. 73k more for a Common Rail Engine !!
AURA QJ vs AQUA TDi : a 1L difference in on-road prices.

AURA Safire vs AURA QJ : 1.05L difference in on-road prices !

At the moment, the Aqua QJ looks sufficient value, without being burdened by that double DIN HU, which can be either a Blau or another brand that I heard for the first time. Or the Aura Safire.

(OT: do any of you guys remember what was the brand of the Tata-branded HU's that were available over the last 3 yrs ?)

While the current 14"s dont look under-sized, the car will look much better with 15"s.

Now waiting for the TD. Need to see how these two engines drive.
Attached Thumbnails
The New Tata Indica Vista Thread-headroom.jpg  

The New Tata Indica Vista Thread-seat-adjust-lever.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by condor : 5th September 2008 at 22:31.
Old 5th September 2008, 22:36   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
At the moment, the Aqua QJ looks sufficient value, without being burdened by that double DIN HU, which can be either a Blau or another brand that I heard for the first time. Or the Aura Safire.

(OT: do any of you guys remember what was the brand of the Tata-branded HU's that were available over the last 3 yrs ?)
someone was saying the OE was Delphi , but no proof for it so far.

So far most tata OE ICE was blaupunkt
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 00:01   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Rear Head Room:
Not happy. If I sit up-right in the rear seat, my head's touching the roof. I'm not too tall - just 5'8", and yet could feel the roof. If I moved just an inch or so to the front, there suddenly seems so much more room...
i am hearing mixed views on this, in this forum as well as in other reviews in print or net. personally i am 5'10" and didnt face any discomfort in the back seat! maybe it depends on the posture - i (and maybe also others who had no problem with it) was leaning back in a relaxed manner with my head resting on the headrest.
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 07:39   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

@C-A-D, it is the posture. Sit ram-rod straight, and you will feel the roof. Sit in a relaxed manner, and there seems to be so much of space. It will be the rare person who will complain.
Old 6th September 2008, 22:50   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

Was at Concorde today for a test drive. The car's so easy to get used to, including the central console.

One more short-coming that I noticed is that the mirrors are little narrow. Another cm of width would have been good.

Any one know what's this ?

This is placed just next to the battery, in an upright position. (Just in case some one is confused, pls look at the object with connectors, in the bottom part of the pic. The upper part is the battery. If you notice the lower section of this thingamagic, it appears similar to a heat-sink)
Attached Thumbnails
The New Tata Indica Vista Thread-whats-vista.jpg  

Old 7th September 2008, 00:42   #390
Team-BHP Support

Coil springs...?
Well Indica has had coil springs and fully independent rear suspension for quite some time(my 2002 indica has coil springs at back too!, no leaf springs!)
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote