Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 7th September 2008, 00:50   #391
Senior - BHPian

Looks like an ECU to me Condor.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 08:54   #392
Distinguished - BHPian

@Ishaan, thought so too. But looked pretty big for an ECU.

Another point I noticed is the air intake. It's positioned right behind the right-side head light, opening into the engine bay itself. A slight modification of this can help make it a CAI.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 21:04   #393
BHPian

Hi all,
this is my first post at team-bhp. I have been following this website for some time now and it sure is a great place to learn anything about a car.

I was looking to upgrade to new car and as everyone else, the Indica Vista grabbed my attention. So decided to check out at Concorde Motors on Mysore Road for a TD. Some of the reviews posted already have given a real good first impression of the Vista. Few points from my end -
- When I first saw the Vista in pictures(Auto show and the launch), thought that the new headlights stood out, evoking mixed responses. But when I saw it in flesh, it really seemed to blend in.
- The car is really huge. The Indigo CS standing next to the demo car really looked small ;-)
- Test drove a blue Quadrajet Aura, the pickup was simply amazing.
- couple of U turns on Mysore road were done without any problems. The turning radius does not seem to be a problem.
- had to go on a very short TD coz of less diesel in the car
- I felt that the display color on the centre console and the ICE were kinda dull. But Aux and USB slots have been positioned well.
- nice to see a power outlet at the rear.
Other things have been covered well in the previously posted reviews and nothing much to argue.

One interesting news from the dealer was that the Indica Vista will not be sold for Taxi operators Hope thats true.

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th September 2008 at 22:56. Reason: Smiley Usage is restricted to two per post, please read board rules before proceeding
ntneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 21:34   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntneo View Post

One interesting news from the dealer was that the Indica Vista will not be sold for Taxi operators Hope thats true.
I'd like to see them implement that

PS: mate , you might want to read the rules before posting further. Only two smilies are allowed per post
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 23:04   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I'd like to see them implement that

PS: mate , you might want to read the rules before posting further. Only two smilies are allowed per post
i was told the same when i went to TD the indigo cs.
Now i see many CS taxi's on road.
How can they restrict?
bullboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 23:08   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Btw, the under-seat storage box is not new - it was there in the Indica too
Which model of the Indica offered this?

Quote:
One other thing I noticed is the return of coil springs at the back. Have not seen Tata use them, after the Estate & the Sierra / Safari. Looks like the ride quality will be good.
The current Indica uses coil springs too.

Quote:
(OT: do any of you guys remember what was the brand of the Tata-branded HU's that were available over the last 3 yrs ?)
AFAIK it's a Delphi unit (they have a lot of systems and components in the vista - including the central speedo console)
viper_711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 23:35   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Yup. That's the reason they don't offer the Vista in white.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 23:43   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How can they 'restrict'? If someone buys a car, they can do anything they want with it.

And regarding the white color, I see nowadays Logan taxis in green color.
Name:  180pxBangalore_Taxi.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  8.0 KB

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 7th September 2008 at 23:45.
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 23:56   #399
Senior - BHPian

seen a few indicabs in metallic silver. It goes nicely with the DLE's black/grey bumpers, sort of a two tone effect !
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 23:57   #400
BHPian

Quote:

It's not up to a manufacturer or a dealer to dictate this - A customer buys a car and get's it registered. the customer has a choice whether he registers it as a taxi or a private car.
viper_711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 09:06   #401
Team-BHP Support

I think they mean - they will not offer fleet discounts!

As for the Logan, the Meru's and Easycabs of this world have saved their bacon on this one
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 09:10   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
It's not up to a manufacturer or a dealer to dictate this - A customer buys a car and get's it registered. the customer has a choice whether he registers it as a taxi or a private car.

When I asked the dealer whether Vista will become a Vistacab in future, he told that they do not offer that option at all.
I guess the taxi operators get a good discount and also they dont pay lifetime roadtax. The road tax is on a year basis. Correct me if I am wrong.
Yeah if a customer wants to, he can make it a taxi after paying full time roadtax. So there might be some Vista cabs, maybe not in the numbers of the Indicab.
ntneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 10:18   #403
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone TD'ed the TDI Vista yet? I see that TATA are really highlighting the Quadrajet first followed by some publicity to the Safire but absolutely nothing about the TDI engine'd variants.

It's a cool Rs. 1 lakh less than the Quadra engined'd ones and has a reworked gearbox too. Could that be the dark horse which will sell well at the VFM price-point?
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 10:22   #404
Distinguished - BHPian

Not considering the road tax part, & calculating on paying LTT tax at registration time :

The Indica is available starting from 3.7L, 3.97L on-road.

Vista TDi Terra is at 4.57 L on-road
Vista Aqua TDi is at 4.73 L on-road

Price Difference starts at : about 70k. If you bring the QJ into the picture, the price difference will head north of 1L.

The QJ engines will need to be handled a little more carefully than the NA or TDi's. Your road-side mechanic, at this time, will not be able to service that QJ like he does the TDi. The taxi's are taken to non-TASC / non-TASS for servicing. The idea is to save every penny they can. Spares used will be grey-market spares.

For the QJ, the cost of critical spares will be higher.

Add up all these points, and factor the additional 4 kmpl that the QJ will give in city - and you will find the ROI of additional investment into a new model car not being very attractive.

It's not to say that you will not find a Vista being registered as a taxi. They will be rare. Just that the avg cab will continue to be the Indica V2.

OT: you can pay LTT for a commercial vehicle also - taxi's included. It is normally not done, because it helps the owner with lesser up-front cost, and also because he may not have that vehicle with him long enough to justify the one-time payment.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 10:34   #405
BHPian

Meru's order for Logan is supposedly 500 cars.

Will Tata not get enticed if they get such an Order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I think they mean - they will not offer fleet discounts!

As for the Logan, the Meru's and Easycabs of this world have saved their bacon on this one
MuraliR is offline   Reply With Quote