Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 8th September 2008, 15:30   #406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Any one know what's this ?

This is placed just next to the battery, in an upright position. (Just in case some one is confused, pls look at the object with connectors, in the bottom part of the pic. The upper part is the battery. If you notice the lower section of this thingamagic, it appears similar to a heat-sink)
Condor, that should be the ECU. My Safari 2.2s ECU is also located next to the battery in a similar fashion.
Strangerintown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 15:57   #407
Senior - BHPian

im inclined to agree with this. its a free country after all.
and if the order size is say; 20-30 cabs or perhaps more in the case of a large taxi operator, then why would tata dealers argue with such business?

the same way that Vijai Auto Mahindra sold about 30 or 40 Scorpio Getaways to Bangalore International Airport Limited for Airport duty.
All these were specially modified with towhooks and some other stuff.

Any dealer would be interested in turnover, no of items of inventory moved out etc and so would most manufacturing companies, especially those who are operating in the mass market segment, therefore Im sure they wont have any objections at all. After all, I am sure Tata or anyone else will not dictate the purpose to which the vehicle is to be put, when they are getting a firm sale!

Quite a different thought from the old days in which when a certain Maharaja was rather displeased with Rolls Royce UK's treatment of him, that he ordered and bought 6 Rollers and used them as dump trucks within his personal fiefdom! Until some seriously big shot from Rolls came to him and begged him to desist from such desecration of the hallowed marque! Must have been fun playing Kings and Queens with one's subjects/ other people's tax rupees in those days eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
It's not up to a manufacturer or a dealer to dictate this - A customer buys a car and get's it registered. the customer has a choice whether he registers it as a taxi or a private car.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 17:23   #408
BHPian

I see lot of Nissan Teana V6, Accord and Camry with yellow board in Bangalore. And recentrly scorpios and Swift LDIs are spotted in yellow board
TeddyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 18:32   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
I see lot of Nissan Teana V6, Accord and Camry with yellow board in Bangalore. And recentrly scorpios and Swift LDIs are spotted in yellow board
Add to that, Fiesta, Ikon, Logan, Corolla which I have seen on roads and in my office. I have read that BIAL will have Limos as well.

I cannot believe that (some) people still have problems with cars being used as cab.
opendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 21:32   #410
BHPian

Some auto manufacturers do specifically bar any sales to fleet operators. For instance, Honda does not sell in bulk to fleet operators in US. Yes, you may get couple of Accords at Hertz car rentals but this number will be for every 10-12 Camry cars. Any operator can buy couple of cars for fleet variety sake (dealer has no control over what cab is used for) but if there is order for 500 cars to be used as Cabs, I am sure explicit approval would be required from mfrr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Add to that, Fiesta, Ikon, Logan, Corolla which I have seen on roads and in my office. I have read that BIAL will have Limos as well.

I cannot believe that (some) people still have problems with cars being used as cab.
5kmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 22:33   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntneo View Post
When I asked the dealer whether Vista will become a Vistacab in future, he told that they do not offer that option at all.
I guess the taxi operators get a good discount and also they dont pay lifetime roadtax. The road tax is on a year basis. Correct me if I am wrong.
Yeah if a customer wants to, he can make it a taxi after paying full time roadtax. So there might be some Vista cabs, maybe not in the numbers of the Indicab.
I can understand lack of fleet discounts and special models like the indicab. The point I'm trying to make here is that nothing stops a person from buying x nos of cars and have them registered as taxis.
Any individual can have his/her car registered as a cab - and the minute you do this you are expected to pay year-on-year road tax instead of life-time tax (as per current laws)
I agree with your point that in the absence of an indicab equivalent in the vista line-up, the number of vista cabs may be low.
viper_711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 23:12   #412
Team-BHP Support

If I am not mistaken the manufacturer also needs to notify the traffic authorities/RTAs on what kind of a passing the vehicle is allowed to go in for. I specifically remember this because some couple of years back there was a problem with registering the Tata TL twin cab version as a personal vehicle. At that time I was told that the vehicle manufacturer needs to do something (don't remember exactly what) to make a vehicle register as one type or the other. IIRC the default permission for the twin cab at that time from ARAI was for commercial purposes (yellow board).

If that was true I would like to think that the opposite can also happen. So if the vehicle manufacturer takes permission for only personal vehicle registration a vehicle most probably can not register as a yellow board?!! Not very sure of this but just struck me as I remembered the old case.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 23:28   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

no yaar.

I've seen even BMW 730 Ld (?) being used as cab. I'd hate to think that for such low moving models beemer would bother with desi paperwork for the max ten odd such cabs annually.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 23:35   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
If I am not mistaken the manufacturer also needs to notify the traffic authorities/RTAs on what kind of a passing the vehicle is allowed to go in for. I specifically remember this because some couple of years back there was a problem with registering the Tata TL twin cab version as a personal vehicle. At that time I was told that the vehicle manufacturer needs to do something (don't remember exactly what) to make a vehicle register as one type or the other. IIRC the default permission for the twin cab at that time from ARAI was for commercial purposes (yellow board).

If that was true I would like to think that the opposite can also happen. So if the vehicle manufacturer takes permission for only personal vehicle registration a vehicle most probably can not register as a yellow board?!! Not very sure of this but just struck me as I remembered the old case.
Zappo,
I too remember reading something like this a few years back. AFAIK, the special permissions apply for LCV/MCV/HCV. Not too sure for LMV's

Any ways, I think the thread is getting OT with this discussion.
viper_711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 09:20   #415
BHPian

Anyone tested the TDi or the Safire yet? Safire was briefly reviewed by Autocar India, which I had posted earlier.
5kmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 10:36   #416
BHPian

Default Warning lights in console

Is it just me or do you guys also think that warning lights in the console are better if they are behind the steering? E.g. in my Santro, when the fuel low warning light comes up, I don't even need to explicitly look at the console to notice it. IMHO to notice a warning light at the center console, you would need to explicitly look at it (since there are so many other distractions in the center panel). Maybe thats the reason Spark still has all the warning lights still behind the wheel eventhough the console has moved center.

Be advised, this is my first post on Team-BHO
ashukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 11:05   #417
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Zappo : ... the manufacturer also needs to notify the traffic authorities/RTAs on what kind of a passing the vehicle is allowed to go in for.
viper_711 : AFAIK, the special permissions apply for LCV/MCV/HCV. Not too sure for LMV's
There are rules on those lines. Even for Indica's, the Indicab was released as a cab version. The differentiator in looks also included the tail lights. The rules said that the car has to be stock when being registered as a cab. (atleast at registration time, considering how stringent our rules are). The owner could not change even the tail lights to regular taillights.

Quote:
5kmiles : Anyone tested the TDi or the Safire yet? Safire was briefly reviewed by Autocar India, which I had posted earlier.
Question has been asked before. IIRC, a separate thread was started for this. No test cars available at the dealers at this time.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 13:17   #418
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
no yaar.

I've seen even BMW 730 Ld (?) being used as cab. I'd hate to think that for such low moving models beemer would bother with desi paperwork for the max ten odd such cabs annually.
That is a different scenario. The 730D is a CBU and would in all probability be a hotel taxi used for ferrying its own guests. Not a metered taxi as the Indicab.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 14:20   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO,

I think the distinction didn't come across appropriately. The segments are as you say. However, the registrations would be identical process for a Beemer or an Indicab under the yellow plate system.

Hence, imho, there would be some simple process for cars to be registered as cabs, not a detailed process that the manufacturer would have to undergo, which would rule out most Beemers as cabs.

Ergo, little chance that the Vista wouldn't end up as another cab!!

Last edited by phamilyman : 9th September 2008 at 14:22.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 15:08   #420
Senior - BHPian

I was talking to a cab operator yesterday and he said there is little chance any operator will buy a vista as the Indicabs they get costs somewhere around 3.70 to them so why they will spend more than a lac for a vista when in the end its gonna be a 5 seater only.
The logic does makes sense from operators point of view.
harry10 is online now   Reply With Quote