Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 24th August 2008, 12:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

Sid, thanks for great review. Was contemplating for a diesel vehicle for quite sometime now as petrol is proving to be too costly to maintain (considering FE part of my car). This provides a good option cosidering the space inside. Hope MSIL will do something about the waiting period of the Swifts immly otherwise, it gonna be a loser for sure.

Do they have any options in fitting of ABS? Do post the pics.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 12:58   #32
BHPian

Tata indica's had the long term reliability issue,would that had improved? and the suspension?
noidaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 13:18   #33
BHPian

It looks like the Indica Vista is very, very similar to the Fiat Palio. The drive train for the 1.2 petrol, and Quadrajet look to be a complete Fiat product.

Also, the rear suspension of the Vista is now a H frame torsion axle, again this is what the Palio uses.

The Indica Vista should be a smash hit, since it is using the best of both worlds. The superior mechanicals from Fiat, and body design suited for India. Altogether a very smart move by TATA.
RedMM340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 13:40   #34
Team-BHP Support

Did a short less than 10 meter drive of the Demo Car at a Tata showroom.
The model was the Quadrajet Aura.
The split seats are ok.
The provision for six speakers is interesting.
Parcel tray quality is good.
Found a lighter accessory beside the parcel tray.
Was a good place for rear seat passengers to plug in the mobile charger and so on.
Rear windscreen has wipers.
Paint quality is OK.
Tires were Goodyear tubeless on ordinary rims.
The Center console is quite nice. The tachometer is small and functional.
Lots of indicator lights in the console.
The steering is adjustable.
The rear seats appeared comfortable and the driver seat provides good view of the outside.
Reversing was not a problem.
The outside rear view mirrors are not electronic.
Trademark bad quality in the beading material.
Pickup was good.
But I only went 10 M straight and 10 M back.
Demo car was used.
From a petrol car drivers perspective, Clutch was very soft and gears slid in very well.
Although I only used 2 gears for this.
Six wiper speeds.
The headlight adjuster is controlled via the stalk on the steering wheel.
Unlike the Maruti that has it on the dashboard.
Height adjustable driver seat. Did not use the feature.

Dashboard dual tone finish is ok. Not the best but it was covered in plastic sheet so hard to say.
Once doors are closed the NVH is very well within acceptable limits.
ICE is usb compatible.

The car is being launched at Taj Krishna tomorrow.
Hence was not allowed to drive out on the public roads.
OTR hyderabad is about 5.45 Lakhs.

Finally the swift has competition.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 14:13   #35
Senior - BHPian

Tata has priced the Indica Vista pretty aggressively. What it might mean is, that FIAT will have to think hard about the pricing of the Grande Punto before they launch it. Too big a difference, over the Indica Vista, and they might lose out.

With the Swift, Indica Vista and Palio Diesel all having the same powertrain as GP is slated to have, I would think a price over 5.50 lacs (ex showroom Delhi) will be very difficult for FIAT to justify.

The Palio Multijet may see the sales heading south once more. Quiet an irony that FIAT engined machines from other manufacturers will be grinding FIAT cars to dust. "Shishya guru se aage nikal gaya"

Tata can also look as launching the Indigo CS with the Quadrajet. It sure will give the Logan and the Dzire something to think about.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 16:11   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
Tata indica's had the long term reliability issue,would that had improved? and the suspension?
Can you please be more clear about what reliability you are taking about? You mean the car stops working after sometime or do you mean something else? As far as suspension goes I found it better than similiar sized Suzukis and Hyundais.

Last edited by sridhga : 24th August 2008 at 16:12.
sridhga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 16:28   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Tata has priced the Indica Vista pretty aggressively. What it might mean is, that FIAT will have to think hard about the pricing of the Grande Punto before they launch it. Too big a difference, over the Indica Vista, and they might lose out.

With the Swift, Indica Vista and Palio Diesel all having the same powertrain as GP is slated to have, I would think a price over 5.50 lacs (ex showroom Delhi) will be very difficult for FIAT to justify.

Why do we keep jumping to assumptions? Without looking at the GP, we have decided that anything over 5.50 lacs would be a hardsell.

I,personally, hate the new Indica Vista's looks. I wouldn't buy this car no matter what the price.

Secondly, using your logic, if the GP at over 5.50 lacs would be too high then what about the Swift at 5.87 lacs OTR? (Source: ACI). The Vista's pricing, in my view, makes the Swift look like a rip-off.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 16:34   #38
BHPian

i dont think that the vista and the grande punto can be compared at all.the GP is from a different league all to gether.may be we can compare it with the fabia.
we can compare the vista with the palio mjd and the swift DDiS.
btw guys ,got a interesting bit of information from the sales man at fortune,thane.he says that FIAT have stopped supplying the multijet engines to MUL.the contract was only for a year and now maruti is manufacturing their own engines which are not exactly multijets.any info on this??
shantyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 17:09   #39
BHPian

one more review

WORLD EXCLUSIVE - TATA INDICA V3 VISTA | Indian Autos blog
bullboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 17:13   #40
BHPian

@ amit- very true that the GP is in a toltally different league. GP stands besides the fabia and the chevvy srv. no other car can be compared with the GP. amit i think the pricing of the GP would be 5.5 to 7.8Lacs. would be fine actually for this stunner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post

Why do we keep jumping to assumptions? Without looking at the GP, we have decided that anything over 5.50 lacs would be a hardsell.

I,personally, hate the new Indica Vista's looks. I wouldn't buy this car no matter what the price.

Secondly, using your logic, if the GP at over 5.50 lacs would be too high then what about the Swift at 5.87 lacs OTR? (Source: ACI). The Vista's pricing, in my view, makes the Swift look like a rip-off.
yes amit the GP is way too above the competition of these 3 cars viz. vista qjd,swift diesel and palio mjd. GP is in the league of fabia and chevvy srv (though petrol) those other premium hatchs'. people should'nt compare GP with any other hatch except fabia.

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th August 2008 at 18:53.
paddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 18:10   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy77 View Post
GP is in the league of fabia.
So does it mean that a noisy, cramped, underpowered and overpriced car can be termed 'premium' just because of its badge (which again is highly questionable) and pricepoint?

I sincerely hope for Fiat India that the GP is nothing like the Fabia. That would be a disaster!

Last edited by Steeroid : 24th August 2008 at 18:11.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 18:28   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
So does it mean that a noisy, cramped, underpowered and overpriced car can be termed 'premium' just because of its badge (which again is highly questionable) and pricepoint?

I sincerely hope for Fiat India that the GP is nothing like the Fabia. That would be a disaster!
yes steeroid i completely agree with you.it should'nt be like the fabia-but some of the medium end hatchs'-GP is really better than fabia in all respects. (space,engine,price,power,etc.)
paddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 18:46   #43
Team-BHP Support

Sid if your review is to be believed Vista is the ultimate hatchback.

The pricing is steeper than i expected,at 4.88 it is expensive for a indica,i still prefer the swift over vista at this price just for the superb dynamics.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 18:55   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
That was quite a nice review. Panel gaps apparently seems to have come down a lot and even the plastic finish and texture looks good.
tifosikrishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 19:15   #45
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Did you all notice the temperature guage?

Different! Wish the fuel guage joined it!
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote