Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th November 2008, 23:02   #571
BHPian

@subbusos: As Rudrah has pointed out, his TD experience was relative to the Palio 1.6.

AFAIK the Vista Safire has the same engine as the entry level Grande Punto in Europe. This one's also got variable valve timing, so it shouldnt be as sluggish as we think it might be. The best way to find out would be to TD both, the Safire and the i10. And do keep us posted!
Volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 03:21   #572
Senior - BHPian

subbu, I'd recommend you TD some good diesels anyway, especially the quadrajet. If you want practicality and power, they're the easiest option. and diesels are not just about saving money. Diesels can be fun to drive too, especially once pete'd

I for one can rip my lowly car everyday when my friends drive their i10's and swift Vxi's in mileage driving mode, and still end up with a lesser cost/km!
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 06:57   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
@subbusos: As Rudrah has pointed out, his TD experience was relative to the Palio 1.6.

AFAIK the Vista Safire has the same engine as the entry level Grande Punto in Europe. This one's also got variable valve timing, so it shouldnt be as sluggish as we think it might be. The best way to find out would be to TD both, the Safire and the i10. And do keep us posted!
Yes, I did a test drive of both yesterday and found Saffire to be somewhat sluggish when compared to i10. Both have the similar engines (1172 / 1197 cc). Space is amazing with vista where as the interiors are good with i10. I felt as a package i10 is good though slightly over priced. I have chosen i10 Sportz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
subbu, I'd recommend you TD some good diesels anyway, especially the quadrajet. If you want practicality and power, they're the easiest option. and diesels are not just about saving money. Diesels can be fun to drive too, especially once pete'd

I for one can rip my lowly car everyday when my friends drive their i10's and swift Vxi's in mileage driving mode, and still end up with a lesser cost/km!
Maybe. As I already said, I don't need a diesel since my average running is less. And also I am on a budget of max 5 lakhs only.

Thanks & Regards
Subbu
subbusos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 08:33   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbusos View Post
I don't need a diesel since my average running is less. And also I am on a budget of max 5 lakhs only.
it is not a thumb rule that petrol cars are better for less distance driven per month. it used to be true once upon a time when diesel cars meant high maintenence, heat, noise, vibration etc.

would it make any difference if the same 5 lakhs is spent on a modern diesel car? you can get quite many variants of Vista QJD/TDI or Palio MJD within your budget. you would enjoy better FE, low running costs, great driveability and also massive space.

if you dont go for the top end variants of the diesel cars, the initial amount you spend is the same but you get more benefits.
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 08:59   #575
Distinguished - BHPian

Not really. I would much rather still recommend the Swift ZXi. Lovely quick car for its price, and driven sensibly the running cost isnt horrible. If running is less, the other person gets a much safer car with all jingbang items. And there is initial saving over a diesel, which will take several years.

And after 3400km on diesel, I've realized that Petrol da jawaab nahin. But Diesel is damn good itself for the rest of us high milers!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 09:41   #576
BHPian

Swift ZXI crosses 6 lakhs on road - even more than a Swift VDI. where are the initial savings?

moreover subbusos wants space too which is at a premium in Swifts.
Old 26th November 2008, 10:54   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
Swift ZXI crosses 6 lakhs on road - even more than a Swift VDI. where are the initial savings?

moreover subbusos wants space too which is at a premium in Swifts.
Rightly said, Definitely Swift ZXI is not an option at all for me.

With my budget of 5 lacs, I can get Swift VXi (though 10k extra I need to shed out), I will loose Audio system, rear wiper/defogger, but will get front fog lamps. And most importantly will loose space.

I choose petrol i10 - sportz for the following reasons:

1. I am on a budget of 5 lacs
2. I want space, mileage - actually VFM.
3. What are the option I have: 1. Vista Quadrajet Aqua - which is atleast 40k above my budget, 2. i10 - Sportz - Slightly extra priced, but I will get audio system, rear wiper/defogger, upmarket feel, good resale value.

If I choose Aqua, what all I will loose: Audio system (I cannot live without it while driving ), Read power windows, somewhat not my choice of interiors etc., - Moreover my average doesn't warrant a diesel nor I dont want much of torque.

My requirement suits very well for the i10 - sportz. Hence I choose i10. Infact I always wanted to own Palio MJD or Vista Aura - If I had that extra 80k, I would have definitely gone for Aura. That was my first choice.

Hope I made the right decision.

Thanks & Regards
Subbu
Old 26th November 2008, 11:04   #578
Senior - BHPian

For 5 lacs i10 1.2 Sportz is rather a very good option isint it as he is not gonna drive too many KMs. New car, beautiful, Hyundai quality and peace of mind (good after sales). Tatas are known to dish out few bad cars in every lot and their dealers are very very diffuicult to deal with once problems start happening with Tata vehicles... They think every Tata customer is a cab driver or a truck driver!!!
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 11:39   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
For 5 lacs i10 1.2 Sportz is rather a very good option isint it as he is not gonna drive too many KMs. New car, beautiful, Hyundai quality and peace of mind (good after sales).
You have read my mind. That's exactly the reason I choose i10 sportz over Tata Indica Vista Saffire.

Thanks & Regards
Subbu
Old 26th November 2008, 12:34   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
For 5 lacs i10 1.2 Sportz is rather a very good option isint it as he is not gonna drive too many KMs. New car, beautiful, Hyundai quality and peace of mind (good after sales). Tatas are known to dish out few bad cars in every lot and their dealers are very very diffuicult to deal with once problems start happening with Tata vehicles... They think every Tata customer is a cab driver or a truck driver!!!
Thats not correct in my case, and I am very much satisfied with the service delivered by the dealer. My vehicle was picked up and delivered on time as per the promise, and was handled proffessionally at both the times I sent my Vista for the service.
sridak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 13:26   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridak View Post
Thats not correct in my case, and I am very much satisfied with the service delivered by the dealer. My vehicle was picked up and delivered on time as per the promise, and was handled proffessionally at both the times I sent my Vista for the service.
sadly subbu is not in Hyderabad

Jokes apart, I'm not saying all Tata vehicles or dealers are bad. But Tatas are (in)famous for their inconsistencies in quality of the final product. Its like 9/10 cars are good but one can be bad. If you are the unfortunate customer who gets the bad one than God help you! Normally, in India, Tata vehicles are majorly used for commercial purposes (Trucks and cabs) so the dealers have the propensity to treat you like cab owner in case u buy the car! Probably they are trying to change this attitude nowdays.
Comparatively you are treated like a king at Maruti or Hyundai both before and after vehicle sale. Numerous dealers in same city are also big help as then theres always competition amongst them to provide you better service. also I felt the plastics and upholstry quality in i10 was much better than in Vista.
The only reason somebody should consider Vista is Diesel engine advantages (read better mileage). But if you are only gonna drive less than 1000 KM a month that is not much of an advantage...
Old 26th November 2008, 13:40   #582
Senior - BHPian

from team bhp reviews, concorde in blr is not half bad
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 14:36   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbusos View Post
My requirement suits very well for the i10 - sportz. Hence I choose i10.
congrats! you chose the car that gave you the maximum satisfaction!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx
Tata vehicles are majorly used for commercial purposes (Trucks and cabs) so the dealers have the propensity to treat you like cab owner in case u buy the car! Probably they are trying to change this attitude nowdays.
thats a false perception. i am a satisfied Tata customer since 2003. I had a V2 for 5 years and then opted to stay with Tata by going for a Vista. If I had a bad time last 5 years would I do this?

The A*S*S is great and response to even a hint of complaint is taken seriously. I will quote an example. a week after I got my Vista in september, there was a call from Tata motors to take feedback on the buying experience. i had no complaints but casually mentioned that the dealership should have someone with technical knowledge about the car who can answer queries about engine, power, fuel, torque etc.
after 2 weeks i got a frantic call from the sales manager of the dealership and the concerned sales guy. it seems my comment was taken by Tata Motors as a complaint that I was not provided sufficient information and the dealership's backside was being fried.

After I explained to them that it was not a complaint but a general comment the salesman rushed to my office with a form that I signed indicating that the "issue" was resolved to my satisfaction!

did anybody talk about bad TATA A*S*S...????

in contrast i found maruthi dealerships very smug and rude when I was enquiring about SwiftD and DZire. that was the sole reason why I was determined not to go for Swift though I love that car.
Old 26th November 2008, 15:04   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post

thats a false perception. i am a satisfied Tata customer since 2003. I had a V2 for 5 years and then opted to stay with Tata by going for a Vista. If I had a bad time last 5 years would I do this?
How is it a false perception that Tata cars are mostly used as cabs. You ask any tom, dick and harry anywhere. They will tell u the same thing! Nowdays we say "call an indica" (instead of call a cab!). At all crossings here in Noida I see all the time people running towards indicas for a ride (passengers)!

Its good you've had a very good experience with Tata. I am in no way denying that. But it is also a fact that their service is still not comparable to say Maruti or Hyundai. Why should Tatas lag behind in all surveys if they were so good. In fact, if I am not wrong, Tatas are always about the worst ranked company in all customer satisfaction surveys (like JD Power etc)

Disclaimer: I have a Maruti car (Alto Lxi) and I also have a very pleasant 3 years of ownership experience of the car.
Old 26th November 2008, 15:11   #585
BHPian

My previous vehicle is Wagan R and I had very tough time with the Service. I had to send the vehicle for repair on a same complaint for about 8 times (engine getting over heated) and not rectified till I could dispose the vehicle and bought Indica Vista. When I wanted to buy Swift, I almost visited all the show rooms in HYD and never offered a broucher, price list by any of the dealer by saying that they are not taking any bookings as the waiting period is more than 6 months.

When I visited Malik Cars at HYD for the Vista, I was treated well and they did their best in getting the vehicle delivered in 2 days. I got the vehicle delivered even before the vehicle is not commercially launched in HYD.
sridak is offline   Reply With Quote