Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 24th August 2008, 19:40   #46
Joz
BHPian

Looks like a good atempt by Tata. I sure hope it does well. But I wonder if some amount of design fatigue has set in? I am just bored looking at the same design for the last 10 years.
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 20:23   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz View Post
Looks like a good atempt by Tata. I sure hope it does well. But I wonder if some amount of design fatigue has set in? I am just bored looking at the same design for the last 10 years.
We need to appereciate Tatas. They have built the vehicle on an indegenious design. Moreover, this is the hit model of tatas. If they tinker with the design, who knows we may have to shell out more on this model. This car is a good VFM compared to its counterparts Swift DDis / Palio MJD / Getz CRdi.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 20:52   #48
Joz
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
We need to appereciate Tatas. They have built the vehicle on an indegenious design. Moreover, this is the hit model of tatas. If they tinker with the design, who knows we may have to shell out more on this model. This car is a good VFM compared to its counterparts Swift DDis / Palio MJD / Getz CRdi.
I love the Tata's for what they have done and what they plan to do. And I say once again, this is a good effort. But I still think they would probably loose quite a few customers who associate the design to a taxi and a car which has poor fit and finish. Cost of course is a concern and the discussion clearly brings out one of the strongest point for the Vista is that it is priced significantly lower than the Swift D.
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 21:05   #49
BHPian

How different is this Tata diesel engine compared to the old one - is it just the same with some marketing jargons thrown in or really a new design? What would be the reason to choose that over the Fiat 1.3?

It looks like Tatas are giving up on doing own engines (if not trannies also) since they have decided not to use DICOR engine. This means end of road for that one? Also they have not decided to use their own Petrol engine and instead use Fiat's, which means that will also not see much development. Will the 1.4 non-DICOR be EuroIV compatible? If not then that too will have to be scrapped in medium term.

If this assumption is true then it is not a good sign for a company that is taking over LR/jaguar and trying to challenge the global biggies.
ggkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 21:05   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
That is a superb review, extremely comprehensive for a first impression. Great work there, whoever it is!
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 21:17   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Tata has priced the Indica Vista pretty aggressively. What it might mean is, that FIAT will have to think hard about the pricing of the Grande Punto before they launch it. Too big a difference, over the Indica Vista, and they might lose out.

With the Swift, Indica Vista and Palio Diesel all having the same powertrain as GP is slated to have, I would think a price over 5.50 lacs (ex showroom Delhi) will be very difficult for FIAT to justify.

The Palio Multijet may see the sales heading south once more. Quiet an irony that FIAT engined machines from other manufacturers will be grinding FIAT cars to dust. "Shishya guru se aage nikal gaya"

Tata can also look as launching the Indigo CS with the Quadrajet. It sure will give the Logan and the Dzire something to think about.
No point in comparing logan and dzire with indica as they are different segments. As far as fiat sells engines, they are going to make money giving the headache of A.S.S to the respective car makers. This is according to me is a good tactics :d
MuzzledMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 21:27   #52
Senior - BHPian

seems the 60:40 split is there after all, and the car seems to be even more ICE friendly ( and it was easy installing ICE in the old one to start with), but this one also has 6 speakers, and a 12V DC outlet at the rear! - on a sub 4L car. I was a bit disappointed when I first saw the speaker locations in the auto expo pics ,but its seems they have improved-It looks like you'll be installing the speakers on the door frame , unlike the old indica where you had to install it on the door panel. you have to give credit to tata for thinking about the sheer attentioon to detail.

Last edited by greenhorn : 24th August 2008 at 21:29.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 21:31   #53
BHPian

I checked out the Indica Vista website and I think it is still a work in progress

Liked what I saw of the car on the website and I guess i'll take a TD of it at Fortune Thane.

The prices section shows the top-of-the-line Indica Aura - quadrajet model as a little over Rs 5.02L in thane (ex-showroom price I think) which will make it ~ Rs 30K cheaper than the Swift VDi w/o ABS priced at Rs. 5.33L.

I was planning on waiting for the GP, but if this car is good then why wait?

Last edited by elfhelm : 24th August 2008 at 21:40.
elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 21:37   #54
BHPian

Saw the new indica being unloaded from a truck at medchal highway, kompally on 16th
The front looks damn good, attractive.
gendarmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 21:41   #55
BHPian

Very good reviews. The 12V power at back is a very good move by tata. Also noticed that the tyre size is lesser for petrol safire. And the ICE is upmarket type
MuzzledMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 22:06   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggkg View Post
How different is this Tata diesel engine compared to the old one - is it just the same with some marketing jargons thrown in or really a new design? What would be the reason to choose that over the Fiat 1.3?

It looks like Tatas are giving up on doing own engines (if not trannies also) since they have decided not to use DICOR engine. This means end of road for that one? Also they have not decided to use their own Petrol engine and instead use Fiat's, which means that will also not see much development. Will the 1.4 non-DICOR be EuroIV compatible? If not then that too will have to be scrapped in medium term.

If this assumption is true then it is not a good sign for a company that is taking over LR/jaguar and trying to challenge the global biggies.
What I feel is they will not be phasing out or scrapping their engines. They will have very wide range of products to offer for every segment of people. Like to taxis, they will come out with tata engine and for other cars, they will plonk with Fiat engine. For taxis, the cost has to be cheaper than the Fiat engines. Then only tey will be able to sell more.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 22:53   #57
Senior - BHPian

very nice review Sid. I agree with your observations. Went to book swift vdi 2day and was told 6 months waiting and booking has been stopped as the production is very slow.
Went to Tayal motors to check vista and honestly am impressed. It looks huge for a hatchback, the space utilization is superb. am 6.1 and sitting in rear was so comfortable, back is not that classy but the front look is really appealing atleast in Red, sadly no car was available for Td so will be doing it shortly but for the tag of 4.88 it vil surely give swift run for money
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 23:02   #58
BHPian

I think the car will do grt business and will make Swift run for its money. 6 months waiting is a long wait for swift and because of this wait many people who are waiting for swift will go for Vista. Looks are kool and so is Fiat engine... Good work Tata's.
madhokritesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 23:05   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Did a short less than 10 meter drive of the Demo
You test drove the car for 10 meters?
OT:My humble request, please do something about your avatar. Am tired of swatting my screen

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th August 2008 at 23:10. Reason: Fixed Quote
rohan_fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 23:13   #60
BANNED

Wow...

I was blown away by the pics of the Vista, Nice review too..

"I really dont understand why others feel this car is not good, Time will tell- But its world ages beyond proportions against the Swifts and the Getz which looks tiny in front of this worthy BATTLE TANK" but every one has their own opinion which i beg to differ.

Well the price seems to be too good to be true for such a neatly designed more & more car per car.

Although the new version shares some designs from the good old palio, it looks well put to gether.

Overall a great VFM, It'll surely put other hatchbacks on this segment sweat out hard.

3 cheers to TATA's for this lovely new refreshing Indica.

Although there could have been a little bit more of detailing done on it

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 24th August 2008 at 23:19.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote