Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 27th November 2008, 22:24   #616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Anyway to answer Sridak's question there are lot of cars that I have yet not had the luck to have seen them being used as taxis or cabs. The most common ones are any of the Honda cars!!!
Among the small cars I am yet to see a Santro/i10 used as a taxi or a cab.
Another simple Q - Are Honda cars Diesel, VFM, Saves on fuel expenses, Gives excellent mileage and leg room(front and back)?

Are Santro and i10 diesel,VFM, provide great leg room(front and back), Good rear seat in which 3 ppl atleast 5.10 ht. may not feel cramped and loaded on one another?

If they do all that i fail to understand why the hell People are not considering them as Cabs
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 22:32   #617
Senior - BHPian

my reason for rating them so

maruti , hyundai etc = tend to do the job right the first time

tata = do a "chalta hai" job. feedback to pune makes them suddenly aware, ask me to come back to the workshop to fix whatever it is ( and i dread going there, every time something goes missing- my towing hook, my wheel spanner, my wheelcap, victims of the last three visits)
in general, they suck, but at least something happens when you escalate it to pune. Full marks to tata for trying, but the A.S.S keep screwing up

skoda , ford etc... your money is as good as gone , and no one is watching !

Last edited by greenhorn : 27th November 2008 at 22:33.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 22:46   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Alright so heres what I can say.
In my office parking there are probably 50 cars and a grand total of ZERO Indicas!!! Thats surprising isint it, given that it is India's 3rd largest selling car. About 60% of the cars are small cars (Santros, WagonRs, Altos, i10s, and one Spark; numbers in that order). Among the big cars its City that rules.
Also when I look at parking of all the IT park in which I work (easily 200+ cars), there again isnt a single Indica! There are plethora of Indicas however parked on the road, that ferry employees to and fro to the workplace! Almost exclusively all taxis are either Indicas (in 5 seater car space) or Sumo/Qualis (8/9 seater cab space).
Now lets look at the society where I live. About 140 families in the complex and not a single Indica again!!!! Most cars here are big cars (again City rules) and amongst the smaller cars its mostly Alto here!

Whenever I have called for a taxi (for Airport or railway stn or when I used one for trip to Hemkund Sahib) it has, 100% of the time, been an Indica!

This is not really to pick up a fight with Indica owners/fans. It is probably a very good car. But there really is no denying this fact that it is used a lot as taxi, more than any other car.
So you mean to say that no individual will buy Indica for their own use, and all the Indica's which TATA could sell are only being used as CAB. Great asumptions here.
I know about 20 cab operators in Hyd itself who has Honda city, Accord running as cabs.
sridak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 00:33   #619
Team-BHP Support

Arent we going offtopic here.
Its a fact that most of taxis are indica's. Now wether that is a deterrent to somebody who is buying a vehicle is entirely a personal choice. When I bought an indica, I was well aware of the cab status, and it did not matter to me. So to each one his own.

If somebody does not want to buy indica because of taxi image, so be it, why does he/she need convincing otherwise. ITs just a car.. Chill guys!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 07:21   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its a fact that most of taxis are indica's.
Well. It is not exactly off topic. For someone who is looking out for car, he should get all that is about the car.

As you said, most of the taxis are indicas. I agree. So were maruti omni before Indica. But what I don't agree is that most of the indicas are cabs, which is what some people with "weak image" project. It is also not true that most people see indicas as cabs. That is UTTER LIE made by those who want to spread even further bad image to indicas. You can ask many of the indica owners.

Ah! Yes, if one is worried about cabs driving the same car as his one, sorry about his state of mind! Better not look at the indica.

Last edited by opendro : 28th November 2008 at 07:23.
opendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 10:07   #621
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
It is also not true that most people see indicas as cabs. That is UTTER LIE made by those who want to spread even further bad image to indicas. You can ask many of the indica owners.
I meant to say that if there is someone who see indica as a cab(there a quite a few people actually), why try to change them. Image and perception is a very personal thing
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 10:18   #622
tez
BHPian

i agree with tanveer. If someone see indica as a cab, why are we forcing him not to see it that way. It is a fact that large percentage of cabs are indicas. But that does not demean the car in anyway. Any one buying indica now knows that some guys might consider this as cab but then if he is fine, why should anybody complain?
tez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 10:21   #623
BHPian

Nowadays I could see more number of WaganR's being used as cabs. Did any indica owner or for that matter any one else raised any concern against buying WaganR.

I would suggest to hava poll on the TATA A*S*S only for the TATA vehicle owners, so that we can come to know the satisfaction levels.
sridak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 10:27   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Arent we going offtopic here.
Its a fact that most of taxis are indica's. Now wether that is a deterrent to somebody who is buying a vehicle is entirely a personal choice. When I bought an indica, I was well aware of the cab status, and it did not matter to me. So to each one his own.

If somebody does not want to buy indica because of taxi image, so be it, why does he/she need convincing otherwise. ITs just a car.. Chill guys!
I agree with tsk1979 completely. echoing similar sentiments that of tsk1979, I am not bothered if Indica having a taxi image or not ( when I bought mine ). Also should we stop buying Mercedez ( just becoz in Singapore and in Europe it is widely used as Taxi ) or for that matter Ford and GM cars (just becoz they are used as Taxis in US) or Maruti Omni (just becoz it is widely used as call cabs in Hyderabad). It doesn't matter.

On the contrary, Only those vehicles are used as taxi that are easy on maintenance, lower operating cost and loads of comfort for passengers. Incidently, Indica seems to fit that bill and hence immensely popular with Taxi operators.

I just don't think Taxi Image attached to Indica has any weightage.

takecare and drive safely
rkavthekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 10:37   #625
BHPian

Quote:
I meant to say that if there is someone who see indica as a cab(there a quite a few people actually), why try to change them. Image and perception is a very personal thing
No. I meant to say that it is not okay to say something like "I don't mind travelling in sleeper class, which I can afford at my best, as long as dalits don't travel in that". "Indica is okay as long as cabbies are not using it". Don't you think that there is something wrong in it?

Yes, I would agree that if people are going to flock around you just because you drive indica, thinking that it is a cab, then of course the reason is a genuine one. But that is not the case. I REPEAT, people don't flock around Indica because it is also used as cabs. That is the TRUTH.

Or if a person does not want to buy a car that sells in large number, because it hurts his exclusivity, that is also fine. There is no association with a particular class of people.

What is not fine is clubbing the image with a class of people, which is cabbies here and thus outcasting Indica, because they also use it.

I honestly hope that you people get the message I am trying to convey. I think it is a typical colonial slaves mentality, which we don't see in prosperous countries.

Last edited by opendro : 28th November 2008 at 10:39.
opendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 11:04   #626
tez
BHPian

dont get worked up opendro and that too for people who have this mentality. I dont think they deserve so much attention. Lets stick to Indica Vista.
tez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 13:30   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
In Delhi, the CNG cabs are almost universally now the Esteem or the WagonRs with a dealer CNG warranty. Xeta despite OEM CNG warranty is pretty much out of the CNG game.

I find it interesting to see how the masses have voted with their feet
I guess that's got to do with another notion that Tata has good experience with Diesel engines and not Petrol (or CNG/LPG) ones.

Quote:
Don't buy a Tata if you are thinking of Petrol
Is what many people say!
Glifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 14:13   #628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
"Don't buy a Tata if you are thinking of Petrol"

Is what many people say!
i am a Tata-fan and thats what i'd say too because no petrol car from tata distinguished itself until now. hopefully Vista might change that (thanks to fiat)
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 14:20   #629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tez View Post
dont get worked up opendro and that too for people who have this mentality. I dont think they deserve so much attention. Lets stick to Indica Vista.
You are right. The debate over this is never ending so no point.
MODS if the debate still doesnt ends kindly start a Poll regarding this to take the outcome.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 16:03   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
i am a Tata-fan and thats what i'd say too because no petrol car from tata distinguished itself until now. hopefully Vista might change that (thanks to fiat)
I suppose the Indica Xeta 1.4 did changed the perspective! A VFM petrol car with smooth ride and performance.
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote