Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th November 2008, 17:44   #631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
I suppose the Indica Xeta 1.4 did changed the perspective! A VFM petrol car with smooth ride and performance.
It's the 1.2 now which is more VFM, but I agree with your sentiment!

Although not a user I somehow don't feel like subscribing to the perception that Tatas and Petrol don't mix!
Glifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 18:15   #632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I suppose the Indica Xeta 1.4 did changed the perspective! A VFM petrol car with smooth ride and performance.
Is that true cos i have not seen quiet many Xeta's on road in Ncr. Maybe there its more.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 18:18   #633
BHPian

Its not that Tatas and petrol engine dont match,its Tata bodies and their engines dont match.Most of the Tata vehicles are pretty heavy,and the engines used by Tata dont offer fantastic mileage like the Maruti's or offer mind blowing like the Palio 1.6.Their engines offer loads amount of torque like a diesel ,give average not exceptional FE and lack the FTD factor.
D.V.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 17:06   #634
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
i am a Tata-fan and thats what i'd say too because no petrol car from tata distinguished itself until now. hopefully Vista might change that (thanks to fiat)
What Rudrah said below is correct. There are people who swear by the 1.4L petrol. Then there are also people who were not happy with the Fiat 1.2L engine too!

Quote:
A person who enjoys the 1.4L did show a person with a 1.2L engine what it is capable of. I was impressed as I was in the back seat!

The little time I had with my relative's Indigo Petrol did impress me with its performance.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 18:14   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Is that true cos i have not seen quiet many Xeta's on road in Ncr. Maybe there its more.
There are many Xeta's here in Navi Mumbai/Mumbai even in Pune! Infact i'm seeing more Xeta's than Diesels in city!

Along with performance and comfort, it gives so much basic interior features thou cheap ones, which sometimes no other car in that segment for its PRICE gives. Not even Palio

You will be amazed when you press the Gas pedal for its makkhan pickup. Also its a solid sturdy car on highways too.

Cheers~
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 10:02   #636
BHPian

looks like i have not updated myself with the latest in petrol engines from Tata

i know the 1.4 was powerful but didnt know it was a very good engine...my experience with Tata petrol was with the Indica 2000 and then Xeta 1.2, both of which didnt leave a good impression on me.
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 15:54   #637
BHPian

I became an ardent fan of the Indica reliability in every sense of the word since I started driving it. About 5 years ago, I talked my family into not buying an Indica citing reliability issues etc.
Before I bought this car they guy sitting next to me at workplace in Chennai was once talking loudly over phone thus:" What ? You are going to Coimbatoraaa.. in a taxi? That too in in Indica? Thats could be horrible for you. You can't do da.." "What? not Indicavaa...But Indigo is the same as indica daa...They are same." "They are horrribble da.. They are only cabs. Dont travel in them."
I dont know why he was obsessed in calling Indica and Indigo a "Cab" when his friend was hiring it for a taxi. And Indica/ Indigo is not comfortable to be driven in? I think they are certanly more comfortable to drive in Chennai than the HH Splendor he rides to office on. I think this Indica/Indigo "cab" stuff is some stupid complex people carry with them
sridhga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 20:55   #638
Senior - BHPian

Well i had test driven 3 cars 2day and finally could take time out 2 drive Vista as well. Hugely impressed. car is a revelation and nowhere it resembles the old indica. My simple observations -Aura Quadrajet
1. Pick up is good though i felt a bit of turbo lag till 2000 rpm but after that it flies comfortably.
2. Space is awesome both front and back.
3. Center console is no prob at all and blue lights look very good.
4. suspension is very good, no bumps on rough roads, very comfortable drive.
5. Brake needs an ABS, was a bit on lower side.
6. Steering is better than before, handling is great, at 120 its very steady and no vibrations at all.
7 - Ac is good, boot space is fine.
Most of things have been discussed before as well. All in all i feel its the best hatchback in the price range and way ahead of Swift which i fell only scores in a little better pick up.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 15:39   #639
BHPian

Quote:
There are many Xeta's here in Navi Mumbai/Mumbai even in Pune! Infact i'm seeing more Xeta's than Diesels in city!

Along with performance and comfort, it gives so much basic interior features thou cheap ones, which sometimes no other car in that segment for its PRICE gives. Not even Palio

Cheers~
You are right. Indica xeta with A/c and power steering is being offred at the price of Alto LXi. When compared Alto looks overpriced now.
sridak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 00:58   #640
BHPian

Default test drive report

Today, I had test driven the new Tata Indica Vista quadrajet with Fiat 1.3 MJD engine. Also I tried the Fiat Palio 1.1 slx.

I have to say, this Indica beats the Big guy Maruti Swift in everything. The suspension, the handling, the torque, the space, the features and also in overall interior looks. Especially the driver comfort gives a big car feel.

The most significant thing anyone would note is the suspension of the car. I took the car into potholes, bumps and into one feet deep water and I felt a mini suv feel (like scorpio). The suspension is much better than swift/palio/i10 or any other hatchback at present.

The Torque need not be emphasized more 190Nm@2750rpm. I have test driven the Hyundai verna, and now the Indica vista, both have superb pickup. So much fun to drive. Also I noticed that the turning radius is surprisingly better than Fiat palio.

Even though the exterior design is not eye catching(looks like a duck), the interiors are welcoming. The whole interior space gave a well lighted airy feel. The swift's inside is dark and not welcoming/airy.

Talking about features, the Swift ZXI is way ahead. But one important thing to note is that Vista auqa(the base model) comes with tilt steering column, Height adjustable seats, power windows, central locking.

I inquired the price. 5 lakhs for Vista aqua On road with 2 year warranty.
Swift LDI has lesser features compared to even the base Vista aqua. So Swift VDI is a much better competitor.

Personally, I feel Vista is targeted to compete with I20 and Fiat grande punto.

Pros:
fun to drive.
suspension
torque
turning radius w.r.t its size
interior looks and space
excellent paint job gives a sexy look
2 year warranty
price

cons:
Duck shape
I think the gear box is outdated
Tata SHOULD use chrome on gear handle, the plastics can be better

Hey, about the Palio stile 1.1. The build quality is similar to vista. I think Tata has learnt many things from fiat Palio about making good quality cars. I give average rating to Palio in all category. Its worth while to note that even the basic model of palio comes with power steering, key reminder, wheel covers, antisubmarine seats, tubless R13 165/80 tires. Costs just 3.50 on road.

Guys I bet, Palio is much better than WagonR/Santro/Zenestillo/alto in everything. Dont know about A-star.
The swift palio is as spacious as the Swift. I would advise anyone to take a test drive of palio before finalizing on any of the hyundai/maruti small cars. Ofcourse, this advise does not apply for the Swift.
What I felt after driving the Palio was distinct from any other Maruti/Swift small tall boyish car having high center of gravity making them unstable. It offered a stable cruise, giving a big car feel. The cars stability will be more visible when you ride it >100kmph.

Thats it guys for now.... Next I will go to test drive the Tata Sumo grande. I like its looks and especially the gear shift, its fantastic.

Alright, Have a good day everyone...
ritz830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 08:09   #641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post

Guys I bet, Palio is much better than WagonR/Santro/Zenestillo/alto in everything.

Alright, Have a good day everyone...
Yes Palio is a much better car compared to all these but if only Fiat had changed those outdated interiors... The dash is not at all appealing.
From outside, it is the best looking small car in India!!!

Cant understand why cant Fiat just improve interiors of Palio in India... And by interiors I mean switches, dash, equipment etc.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 10:54   #642
BHPian

Quote:

Talking about features, the Swift ZXI is way ahead. But one important thing to note is that Vista auqa(the base model) comes with tilt steering column, Height adjustable seats, power windows, central locking.
Aqua is not the base model. Terra is the base model.

Quote:

cons:
Duck shape
Tata SHOULD use chrome on gear handle, the plastics can be better
Gear box of quadrajet model is C510 from Fiat, and with the cable operated. I think it is not out dated model.
sridak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 11:41   #643
BHPian

Quote:
The Torque need not be emphasized more 190Nm@2750rpm.
its 190 @ 1750 rpm
Quote:
cons:
u are mistaken, dude! its a Fiat gear box in the Q'jet!

Last edited by CtrlAltDel : 3rd December 2008 at 11:42.
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 12:49   #644
BHPian

Default Land, Water and Air; in Latin: Terra, Aqua and Aura!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridak View Post
Aqua is not the base model. Terra is the base model.
Ritz is partially right.

Aqua IS the base model on the Quadrajet as there is no Terra on the Quadrajet.

At the same time, Aqua is also the TOTL (Top of the Line) for the TDI. As there is no Aura on the TDI.

Finally only the Saffire (or is it Safire) that has all the three variants. Terra, Aqua and Aura!
Glifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 14:36   #645
BHPian

Do any one know about when ABS and Airbags are coming in Vista Qudrajet. Want to buy it but waiting for the confirmation about when these will be available.
Baburajs is offline   Reply With Quote