Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 4th December 2008, 14:07   #661
BHPian

Indica/Cab is more comfortable than any other vehicle in its class. But may be he was image conscious as many were used as taxis.

Also, it is very cheap to maintain, almost on par with that of Amby's. One cant completely overhaul an engine for about 15 K except in Indica.

Also, the so-called taxi image doesnt hurt Tata much because it is selling quite a few numbers as taxis and equal number as personal vehicles. Also, taxis do have more maintenance and it doesnt hurt Tata to sell spares and rake in the moolah.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 14:46   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
i added a sony 2 way amp and 2 pioneer yellowcone speakers at a custom built tray in the back. i now have a nice sounding 8 speaker system

might think abt a sub in future.
How much did this setup cost?
8 speakers? Simply too much magnetic field inside your car now

Does the sound quality significantly improve? I dont want to touch the parcel tray area since ppl in my family use it for putting stuff.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 15:03   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i added a sony 2 way amp and 2 pioneer yellowcone speakers at a custom built tray in the back. i now have a nice sounding 8 speaker system

CAD wont it be better if the speakers are changed rather than adding new ones? Though stock speakers arent bad i feel they are just about adequate.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 16:07   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
CAD wont it be better if the speakers are changed rather than adding new ones? Though stock speakers arent bad i feel they are just about adequate.
i had no beef with the stock speakers, except that they had no "thump" for my hiphop CDs. The rear speakers have taken care of that now! if one wants to listen to classical music, ghazals or old film songs, the stock speakers are good enough IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977
How much did this setup cost?
around 5000, dont remember exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977
Does the sound quality significantly improve?
well, the bass, treble and loudness has improved to my satisfaction but its nothing spectacular. the rear speakers on the tray and the door are controlled together and so are the front door and dash speakers, so the fader control in the HU treats it like a 4 speaker system.

i just love to say that it has 8 speakers (which is the truth anyway) and watch the open mouths of the others
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 16:44   #665
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Congrats on your 8-speaker system set-up

Btw, why a sony amp and why pioneer co-axials? Why not JBL or any other brand which are way way better?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 19:52   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Btw, why a sony amp and why pioneer co-axials? Why not JBL or any other brand which are way way better?
well, i actually wanted JBL 9xx speakers with cloth/kevlar diaphragm but sadly it was beyond my budget. Yellowcones are in the high end in Pioneer, so no complaints tho..

same thing with the sony amp. i had also heard that Sony amps are quite good unlike their HUs and speakers, so it was an easy decision.
Old 10th December 2008, 22:13   #667
BHPian

Default Indica Vista TDI ROI

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbusos View Post
Obviously you are right, but my requirements (500-600kms/month) doesn't warrant a diesel. Hope I am making sense. It would take years and years to recover the premium which I need to pay on diesels.

Hence, only petrol cars for me... Will most probably finalize i10 Sportz though I may miss some space.

Thanks & Regards
Subbu
Hi Subbu,
I have actually calculated how many kms it will take you to recover your investment on the Vista TDi.
Lets compare Indica Vista TDI Aqua and i10 1.2 Magna.

Both car have similar features except that i10 Magna has all 4 doors power windows while Vista Aqua has only in the front.

On Road Price Bangalore after discounts and CENVAT
Vista Aqua TDI -> Rs 457000
i10 Magna 1.2 -> Rs 443000

So the difference is about 15000 Rs
Fuel Price in Bangalore
Diesel -> Rs 37
Petrol -> Rs 52

Mileage in city
Vista Aqua TDI -> 15 kms/ ltr
i10 Magna -> 13 kms/ ltr

If X is the number of kms. Divide X by the mileage in both cases and then multiply by the fuel cost that will give you the total amount spent

Vista total amount spent = X/15*37
i10 total amount spent = X/13*52

The difference between the Vista amount spent and the I10 amount spent is your ROI

You will find that for an ROI of 15000 you will have to drive 10000 kms. Thats it!

This is the logic that I am using and going in for the Vista TDI Aqua.
What do you guys think? Does this makes sense? Do I need to include and difference in maintance that can come into picture because its a Tata diesel vehicle?Please advise

Cheers,
Nitin
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 22:51   #668

RevHappy Your calculation seems pretty convincing, but well just a suggestion - include maintenance, coz theres a huge difference between the diesel and petrol car if you consider the maintenance aspect.

Secondly diesel vehicles if maintained well and driven one hand, are worth the bucks, believe it, my V2 returns me FE of 18 [city + highway] atleast and only Highway it is 22 [w/out A.c], 20.5 [with A.c]

The review for Vista are good, its not like other TATA products, this is what I got from the works manager when I visited them just 2 days back for the 3rd service of my V2 'Thankfully this time the Vista has rolled out so good and promising, we have hardly got complaints - Yes sir, you heard that right - TATA has finally struck the right cord'

Also its not just the price factor or ROI or FE this days is it?
PmmPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 13:24   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PmmPassion View Post
...include maintenance, coz theres a huge difference between the diesel and petrol car if you consider the maintenance aspect.
actually its not much for regular maintenence for modern CRDI engines. Vista for instance has a service interval of 10000 kms.
Old 11th December 2008, 14:11   #670
BHPian

Quote:
actually its not much for regular maintenence for modern CRDI engines. Vista for instance has a service interval of 10000 kms.
Hi CtrlAltDel,
I agree its not much for the CRDI, but how about TDI? Everyone seems to be going for the Quadrajet. Is this because CRDI is more powerfull and fun to drive or is it because TDI will have higher maintence costs? Please help as I need to decide b/w i10 1.2 Magna and Vista TDI Aqua very soon.
Old 11th December 2008, 16:55   #671
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
They were talking about the TDi Vista and not the quadrajet! Even for the TDi, the service interval would be 10000kms.

The costs of specific filters could be higher than its petrol counterparts and the TDi engine gets to drink 5.5L of oil for every refill!

I am sure if there is enough running, the savings in fuel would take care of the other things. And with a diesel, the travels are likely to increase!
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 18:17   #672
BHPian

Default Diesel really cheaper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
I am sure if there is enough running, the savings in fuel would take care of the other things. And with a diesel, the travels are likely to increase!
But wouldn't that reduce total outlay?

Say for example the fuel cost for a Petrol would be around Rs. 5 per km. While that for a diesel would be around Rs. 3 per km.

So if I normally drive a petrol around 500 km a month, the fuel cost would be around 2500.

But because I have a diesel and know it is cheap, I would drive it more, a lot more say around 750 km a month. This itself translates to Rs. 2250! Negligible savings!

Reminds me of how I started making more STD calls after opting for an STD pack. So even if the STD rate came down to Rs. 1 per min, my total bill actually went up.

Yes, I got more bang per buck! But that's another story altogether.
Glifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 18:22   #673
Senior - BHPian

even though tata recommends 7.5k to 10k service intervals, I'd recommend that the oil be changed more frequently. the castrol GTD they use at my local A.S.S is good for only 5k !
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 18:41   #674
mxx
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
I am gonna buy a car for this new year. Its gonna be either Vista AURA Quadrajet or the Palio stile 1.3 MJD. The problem is that the Tata delear (Concorde velachery chennai) dint have any Fiat 1.3 to test drive. I have started thinking suspicious about tata now.

What do you say guys? where should I put my money.
I havn't personally had a TD of vista yet, hoping to have this weekend. anyways, I know at least 2 people who were planning to buy palio mjd, and switched over to Vista after a TD. General opinion from them were is that vista has better drivability in city, palio MJD had nothing better(when compared to vista), and more over vista is a new car with a new platform unlike palio. Not to mention much better interiors in vista.
mxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 18:50   #675
BHPian

Hi All,

Can someone please let me know what the maintenance cost is likely to be for the Indica vista TDI?

I have been driving Zen 2002 MPFI for the past 4 years and done about 40000 kms. So far the maintenance costs has been negligible, the only thing I spent money on was on the labour costs and the cost of oil none of the parts ever had to be replaced and had a pleasant experience so far.

Now we need another car in the family and I thinking of going for the Vista TDI and that will be my primary car. I am going to drive about 600 kms a month and if its a diesel then likely to use it more often for long drive etc.

I need to decide on the i10 1.2 Magna or Vista TDI Aqua.
As you can see my daily usage is not that much to warrant a diesel. But then looking at the initial cost difference(only Rs 15000) my question is why not the diesel vehicle?
If I buy the diesel most likely I will happily go for long drives etc but with petrol I might not.

The only reason to shun away from the diesel(vista TDI) would be its recurring costs.
Hence could you guys please please give an indicative breakdown of what the recurring costs( maintenance costs like parts replacement, regular servicing etc) be for the Vista Tdi?
May be the indica v2 could be used as a benchmark. Could the owners of Indica v2 please share your experiences?

Thanks,
Nitin