Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 11th December 2008, 18:56   #676
Senior - BHPian

heck, even I know one guy. he wanted a palio MJD, didnt like the swift, but was concerned about the fiat ownership issues. He was die hard fiat fan, but wasnt prepared to put up with that. he drove my car, was kinda impressed, but still wanted the MJD. Recently i learnt that he bought a vista quadrajet
seems a lot of palio MJD customers going the tata way. Motherly treatment beats stepmotherly treatment anyday !
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 19:24   #677
Senior - BHPian

Hi Glifford,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
But wouldn't that reduce total outlay?
I still have not figured out how to answer a query on a petrol / diesel combo with low running!

@greenhorn:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
even though tata recommends 7.5k to 10k service intervals, I'd recommend that the oil be changed more frequently. the castrol GTD they use at my local A.S.S is good for only 5k !
I found the oil quite satisfactory in my tests. You must have seen the before / after oil chnage pictures in my thread?
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 19:30   #678
Senior - BHPian

@ trrk, does your service center use GTD? mine feels quite rough at around 3k, and by 5k, its begging for the oil change. Am planning to use something better , and see if there is some improvement
Old 11th December 2008, 20:55   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy
I agree its not much for the CRDI, but how about TDI? Everyone seems to be going for the Quadrajet. Is this because CRDI is more powerfull and fun to drive or is it because TDI will have higher maintence costs? Please help as I need to decide b/w i10 1.2 Magna and Vista TDI Aqua very soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
May be the indica v2 could be used as a benchmark. Could the owners of Indica v2 please share your experiences?
well, i used a naturally aspirated V2 DLS for 5 years till i went for the Vista Quadrajet recently. the V2 engine never gave me trouble in these five years except for the failing of the self starter in its fourth year. even on the day i sold it it was running very smooth and had good pickup (as commented by the buyer). the recurring expenses in the V2 were largely to do with electricals and fuses (not engine related) and fixed at obscenely low prices.

the Indica Turbo engine is the same NA engine with a turbo charger, so its the same reliability with extra power n torque.

I dont know if the Vista TDI uses the same engine, but even if it does, rest assured its a very reliable engine. if it isnt the same, its a something newer and better for sure.

with my experience in the Quadrajet, i can say Vista electricals are much better than V2's. TDI has to be same because other than the engine, the car is the same.

the service interval is 10000 kms for Vista TDI too and that takes care of any fears of service/maintenence cost. as trrk said the cost of an oil change might be higher than that of a petrol car, but IMO this difference is negligible considering the 10000 km period and the low running costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy
I need to decide on the i10 1.2 Magna or Vista TDI Aqua.
As you can see my daily usage is not that much to warrant a diesel. But then looking at the initial cost difference(only Rs 15000) my question is why not the diesel vehicle?
exactly the question I had when I went car hunting recently.

I had initially zeroed in on top end i10 ASTA (petrol) and Palio MJD SDX (diesel). this was a funny comparision but did it only because both cost around 5.5L on road in Hyderabad at that time. since the cost of purchase is almost the same, i brought running costs and fun to drive factor in the calculation. the MJD was a no brainer (had also flirted IndigoCS in between)! three days before I would have booked the MJD, Vista was launched and my decision was finally made after a TD!

i feel the arguement about cost, break even etc is not valid if the purchase price is almost the same.

i hope this was helpful!

Last edited by CtrlAltDel : 11th December 2008 at 20:58.
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 21:18   #680
BHPian

Does the Vista come with only teh Tdi and not the NA one?
raj3300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 21:36   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj3300 View Post
Does the Vista come with only teh Tdi and not the NA one?
TDI and Quadrajet only, apart from the petrol version. no NA diesel in Vista.
Old 12th December 2008, 11:01   #682
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
@ trrk, does your service center use GTD? mine feels quite rough at around 3k, and by 5k, its begging for the oil change. Am planning to use something better , and see if there is some
improvement
This is what my 40000 service bill says:

15w40hp engine oil - hp 5.50 @ 135.00 742.50

This is what my 50000 service bill says:

15W40GTD - Engine oil - Castrol - 5.5 l @ 185 - 1017.5

Now I have a post fill photo in my thread. I will update (if I remember) at intervals.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 12:18   #683
BHPian

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
Hi All,

May be the indica v2 could be used as a benchmark. Could the owners of Indica v2 please share your experiences?

Thanks,
Nitin
Hi Nitin,

Having driven a Indica V2 for 25680kms over the last 13.5 months here are some pointers for your referrence

1. Total Service cost in 3 services ( 1st at 1450kms, 2nd at 10255kms & 3rd at 20320kms ) is Rs 6420/-.

2. Completed the 1st year at 22780kms giving me 14.83kmpl with 80% AC in Mumbai city traffic & 20% non-AC long-trip travel.

3. Did the Engine Flush & De-carbonising for Rs 2080/- at Tata *.*.* during the 3rd service, as additional preventive maintenance.

Apart from that, after an year filled with some rough driving & a few near-misses - the V2 has not given me any reason to complain.

As mentiond earlier in this discussion, the electricals do appear a tad flimsy and the same has been rectified in the Vista. Noticed the diff during the TD & recently in an office buddy's Aqua as well.

Hope this helps.
SRShrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 16:31   #684
BHPian

I think comparing i10 with Indica Vista, is not right. i10 may cost you same as Vista but the comfort, space, size of the car, etc are no matching with Vista. Vista would definately a VFM car. IMHO.
sridak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 18:23   #685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridak View Post
I think comparing i10 with Indica Vista, is not right. i10 may cost you same as Vista but the comfort, space, size of the car, etc are no matching with Vista. Vista would definately a VFM car. IMHO.
You are right. That too i10 should be compared with Vista Sapphire (Petrol) Series. I guess when Vista -Petrol comes with ABS & Airbag, still it is VFM against i10.

Any guess when are they launching ABS & Airbag on Vista?
TeddyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 18:41   #686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
That too i10 should be compared with Vista Sapphire (Petrol) Series. I guess when Vista -Petrol comes with ABS & Airbag, still it is VFM against i10.

Any guess when are they launching ABS & Airbag on Vista?
How would it compare on performance aspects then?

I wish Tata launches a version of the Vista with the Indigo XL petrol engine then!
Glifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 18:44   #687
Senior - BHPian

@trrk - I'm still not satisfied with the oil's longevity. NVH increases significantly at about 3k. Thing is , its not noticeable when you drive with the windows up and the AC on - then it sounds quite smooth , since the sound of the engine is quite muffled
Old 12th December 2008, 19:06   #688
BHPian

Quote:
@trrk - I'm still not satisfied with the oil's longevity. NVH increases significantly at about 3k. Thing is , its not noticeable when you drive with the windows up and the AC on - then it sounds quite smooth , since the sound of the engine is quite muffled
Yes, I had the same feeling with my NA DLS, the last 2 services I have been using a product called BG-CF5, this helps in cleaning up impurities in fuel so the oil is saved from atleast these impurities and the car ran well upto 4K approximately - an improvement of about 1K.
indivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 19:58   #689
BHPian

Even im unhappy with Castrol GTD in both my Indicas (NA 2004 and TDI 2007) thats why im trying a API-CI4 oil this time around, either Delo 400 or Valvoline All Fleet Gold. Ill keep you postet.

@CtrlAltDel
What oil are the TASCs using for the Vista ?

Quote:
@ trrk, does your service center use GTD? mine feels quite rough at around 3k, and by 5k, its begging for the oil change. Am planning to use something better , and see if there is some improvement
adityamunshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 20:56   #690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
@CtrlAltDel
What oil are the TASCs using for the Vista ?
dont know. i have to check.