Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 12th December 2008, 22:36   #691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
You are right. That too i10 should be compared with Vista Sapphire (Petrol) Series. I guess when Vista -Petrol comes with ABS & Airbag, still it is VFM against i10.

Any guess when are they launching ABS & Airbag on Vista?
Hi TeddyBear,
I still havent done a td of the sapphire but I have feeling that it will be sluggish considering its power to weight ratio figures. i10 1.2 is without doubt the best in terms of power to weight ratio its even better than swift petrol because swift will give lesser mileage.
For me driving pleasure is of utmost importance, but then I cant compromise on fuel efficiency either hence the likes of palio 1.6 and swift petrol wont be on my radar due to lack of good FE, and my budget is 4.5 lacs.
All though Vista TDi's Kerb weight is high, because its a turbo diesel I am hoping it will be fun to drive, I havent taken a td yet, but will be doing it tommorrow and if things go well I will book the Vista TDI Aqua Solar Orange tomorrow itself or else I will sway back to i10 1.2 Magna.

Thanks everybody for your valuable inputs! Really appreciate them.

Cheers,
Nitin
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 18:54   #692
BHPian

Default Vista Safire

i was feeling bored today and decided to take a test ride of the Safire. I drove down to the showroom, registered for the TD and soon found myself in the car.

initial impression: very silent engine (its the FIRE from Fiat). hardly felt any vibration both in the car and outside.

the drive: as usual in all TDs, i ignored the salesguy's suggestion to hit the open road and instead drove towards heavy traffic. i always test a cars behavior in traffic rather than revving it on open roads. I was rather surprised by the decent torque which i was not expecting in a supposedly underpowered petrol car like this one.

with the AC running, the engine pulled smoothly in the first three gears. I tested the these three gears by driving after letting go clutch and accelerator. It pulled decently without lugging in the first and second gears and I could navigate the heavy traffic fairly easily. third gear was good too, but required an occassional nudge of the accelerator to keep it from lugging. good but not as satisfying as the quadrajet which pulls effortlessly without support in the third gear too.

the only negative was the pickup from slow speeds in 3rd gear. from about a speed of just above 20kmph in 3rd gear, it took ages for the car to reach 40. shifting to 2nd would be necessary for quicker pickup. on crossing 40kmph, slotting to 4th gear drives the car very smoothly, but braking and then overtaking a bus required me to downshift to 3rd again.

didnt bother to try the 5th gear since the traffic didnt permit me.

my verdict: definitely not for the performance enthusiast. this is a car that takes you from A to B without fuss and in great comfort. driveability is decent and more importantly the power to weight ratio is not as scary as it is made out to be. I wont exactly call it sluggish in traffic but if you are a defensive driver, you wouldnt complain about the performance.

The salesguy claims an FE of 17-18 kmpl in traffic which IMO translates to 13-14 kmpl max in real city conditions. not bad at all for a petrol car of this size.

current on-road price in hyderabad:

Aura: 4.32L (a full 1 lakh lesser than the Quadrajet!)
Aqua: 4.05L (almost the on-road price of my old V2 DLS when I bought it in 2003!)
Terra: 3.7L (i think)

IMO, Aura is great VFM because I dont know how many cars at this price match the equipment (and comfort) level!

Last edited by CtrlAltDel : 13th December 2008 at 19:01.
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2008, 14:42   #693
WDB

I agree with CAD, I took the delivery of my Safire Aura a couple of days back. As pointed out by CAD, me being a defensive driver do not find the under performance an issue. In fact i did not find the car wanting of power, but it is also equally true that i drove it below 50 Kmph and have not yet touched the 5th gear.

Not a car expert, nor having a real time experience comparing with other car, i found the engine smooth, sufficient power for my style of driving.

The best thing was that all in my family were might pleased with the shear space and comfort provided by the car. Definitely i will second CAD's opinion that the car is meant for point A to B with out a fuse and in comfort.

However, CAD, TML have also revised the prices after the recent cut and it seems they are passing the benefit to the customer on the vista too, for the dealership are going to refund me some money saying that there is a price cut, maybe to the tune of 10K, though not sure
WDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2008, 18:34   #694
Senior - BHPian

@WDB, congrats on your new ride! That makes it the first Safire on Team-BHP. Have fun and do post some pics.

It was nice to know that the dealer is refunding the money.
safari_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2008, 18:43   #695
Senior - BHPian

WDB, post some pics.want to see how it looks with 13" ers
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008, 10:19   #696
BHPian

@WDB, the car should have already billed and you would have got the invoice on the old rate. I doubt they can return you the diffeence.
sridak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008, 14:35   #697
Distinguished - BHPian

I want someone with a Palio 1.1 to compare with it, and then real picture of these heavyweights will emerge!

Nice report otherwise, everyone!

ADB ji, is it with CNG? Vista saaru chhe!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008, 18:01   #698
BHPian

I had TDed the Safire in my 1st visit & concluded that the Safire is a very good car if you don’t mind living with a slightly under powered car. If the car is to be used primarily in the city with an occasional highway run then it’s a fantastic value for money (least surprising). This is a car which will make you father/grand father smile, especially if he has used an ambassador in his yesteryears. However the average of 10-11 km was slightly worrisome & I was not sure if the fuel prices would ever come down.
Also if one wishes for decent power & better economy then that extra 1.0 Lac is worth it. In fact this is precisely the reason why I also put in that Xtra amount.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 11:58   #699
BHPian

Default Bought Vista TDI

Hi Guys,
I have gone ahead and bought the Indica Vista TDI Aqua Solar Orange colour.
Although I have made the full payment, I am taking delivery only in Jan so that its an 2009 model.

I bought it from Concorde Dairy circle.
My interaction with them was Ok Ok. They helped me out in choosing the car and all that but they forced me to buy the car now itself saying that there are only 3 Solar orange cars in stock and if I pay while taking delivery then chances are that I might not get the colour I want or have to wait for it or the price might increase and so on, thats something I didnt like. Also the scratch card offer expires on 20th so I went ahead and bought it.

As I swiped my credit card for 2,00,000 Rs and rest was cash, they made me bear 1.5% of Rs 200000(Rs 3000) as transaction charges.
They are not giving any freebies not even the mats and mudflaps, but because I spent the 3000 Rs as transaction charges they agreed to provide the basic mats, flaps etc upto 1500 Rs.

The scratchcard is given only while taking delivery, but since I have made full payment and taking delivery on in Jan, they told be I can take the scratch card after 20th.

I will update you guys when I take the delivery.

Cheers,
Nitin
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 12:57   #700
Senior - BHPian

Hi Nitin,

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
Although I have made the full payment, I am taking delivery only in Jan so that its an 2009 model.
Just becasue the delivery is made in Jaunuary does not make it a 2009 model. The manufacturing date of each car is supplied by the manufacturer and usually it will be Feb end or March for the 2009 manufactured cars to arrive at the dealers.

Quote:
and all that but they forced me to buy the car now itself saying that there are only 3 Solar orange cars in stock and if I pay while taking delivery then chances are that I might not get the colour I want or have to wait for it
If they are going to give an already in stock car later, how did you make yourself believe that you are getting a 2009 manufactured car?

Quote:
As I swiped my credit card for 2,00,000 Rs and rest was cash, they made me bear 1.5% of Rs 200000(Rs 3000) as transaction charges.
They are not giving any freebies not even the mats and mudflaps, but because I spent the 3000 Rs as transaction charges they agreed to provide the basic mats, flaps etc upto 1500 Rs.
Sorry, Nitin, they have extracted an early payment from you (a month earlier for which they would be getting interest), taken processing cahrges in spite of that and are again making you pay for basic accessories. All this in December when the most freebies are offered to dispose off current stock.

Also you are taking a TDi and not the hot in demand Quadrajet.

They have taken you for a ride, Nitin.

Check with another dealer, please!
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 14:19   #701
BHPian

revhappy - Sorry to disappoint you mate but theses guys are Concorde seem to be one of the smartest showroom executives. I had booked the Quadrajet Aura (QA), Nobel Blue. Whilst booking the showroom guy had informed me of a waiting period of 6 weeks. I just shrugged & told him that I don’t mind the waiting. Then after 2 weeks, he called to tell me that there's a Nobel Blue Aqua available & if I would be interested din the same. I politely declined. Another week later, I get a call from him again that a Nobel Blue Aura had arrived, but if I didn’t make the payment within 24 hours it could be allotted to some one else. Again I very coolly replied that I was in no hurry & to give the car to some 1 else. He was quite surprised to hear that, but quietly put the phone down.
To my utter surprise, I get a call from him again within 2 days asking if I had approached the bank for disbursing the loan. I just replied that since there was no confirmation on the delivery of the car, this point didn’t arise only. He promised to call back.
With-in 10 minutes I again get a call stating that the same car could be put on hold for me if I get the loan disbursed within 1 day. I again flatly refused to bow down to his pressure, saying I had no time to go to the bank for the next 3 days. He promised he would discuss this with his Sr. & get back.
I get a call again on the same day confirming that they would hold the car for me if I get the disbursement done.
To cut the story short, I finally took delivery of the car exactly 10 days after the call from the dealer.
The trick here is to just stay calm & not to buckle under their pressures.
Even I didn’t get any freebies, yet I got them to waive off Rs. 500 on the affidavit they had to prepare for registering the vehicle. (Why an affidavit & how I got the 500 waived off? Now that’s another story all together).
revhappy - Please bring this matter to the notice of Tata corporate office. I am sure they will help you in some way. Also as pointed out the only thing U get in Jan is a 2009 registered car & not a 2009 model. So it makes no sense in waiting any more. Simply insist on getting the car delivered or threaten the dealer of dragging them to consumer court.
One thing that I simply fail to understand is the fact that Concorde charges a processing fee. It’s a Co. owned showroom & they ought to take that burden on themselves or enter into some kind of any agreement with their bank. Can any one throw more light?
Old 17th December 2008, 14:49   #702
BHPian

QUERY - When I turn the ignition key there are a plethora of lights which come on. One of them reads "Speed Limit". Can any one throw some light on what this indicated? When I asked the dealership guys, they said it was there for the sake of it. When I rubbished that claim they said it was for the future models of the Vista? Now that was one of the most irritating answers that I've got.
What I comprehend is that Tata's have given us a future ready dash board & made us feel guilty for buying the car without the gizmos that they are going to give.. Is this a joke or they are trying to mock the customer?
Old 17th December 2008, 14:57   #703
Senior - BHPian

probably some electrical glitch. tata sales and after sales guys are good at making plausible features out of bugs
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 15:08   #704
Team-BHP Support

Is the light like something described here.
Breakdown Advice : Warning lights on your dashboard - The AA

Googling showed some prototype systems that use GPS to identify the speed limit enforcement in the area and the speed your car is doing.
If going over the limit then this lights up.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 16:21   #705
BHPian

@Maverick1977
This is nothing new, my Indica V2 DLS has light provision for - ABS, seat belt warning indicator, door ajar,fog lamp on indication - all this way back in 2004. I believe Tata always makes provision for export models in its dashboard cluster.

Last edited by indivic : 17th December 2008 at 16:26.
indivic is offline   Reply With Quote