Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 31st December 2008, 11:00   #721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
oh! thats bad! luckily no rattling yet in my Vista (nearing 5000 kms). will wait n watch
5000 kms in 3 months ! Way to go mate, thats exactly how the car must be driven. The i10, i20 or any other petrol car can never put a smile on the face after driving so much. You have made the right choice!
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 12:13   #722
BHPian

I am sure all of us must have seen the ad for the Limited Edition Vista on offer from TMIL with 5 alloy wheels & a few extra goodies thrown in. However I have a few queries.
1) Is Tata's using this as a route of introducing the White Colour which has been kept off till now & thus indirectly restricting the car to come into the Taxi Business? As of now the colour has been restricted to the Ltd edition only, but will it been seen on the TDI soon, which I am sure is going to be a fav with the Taxi guys.
2) Is the Blaupunkt system any ways better than the existing Clarion System? Ditto for the so called improved seats.
3) The alloys look chunky but do they justify the overall cost increase of almost 40K?
4) Is this a gimmick that TMIL are playing much like the "Estilo Sports" from Suzuki. (I almost die laughing when I write Estilo+Sport.)
5) Lastly ppl (like me) who have bought this car in the last month feel slightly shortchanged? I for one really feel that way since the actual additionals for that car would be just 20K. I bought the car just a few days before the Govt action prompted prices to go down. A case of sheer bad luck for me.
Has any one seen the car or booked one?
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 12:15   #723
BHPian

This is different from the earlier post, so not using the edit option:
I would be glad if people would share their Service Experiences. Mine for one has been strictly ok. Will write in detail on this next year (2009).
Also a Very Happy & Propserous New Year to one & all...
Old 31st December 2008, 13:19   #724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
1) Is Tata's using this as a route of introducing the White Colour which has been kept off till now & thus indirectly restricting the car to come into the Taxi Business? As of now the colour has been restricted to the Ltd edition only, but will it been seen on the TDI soon, which I am sure is going to be a fav with the Taxi guys.
Well Tata motors might do this if they dont meet their targets for vista sales by selling it to only Non-Taxi users.

As of now I dont see too many Vistas on the road, that might be due to slowdown and year end etc, but if sales dont pick up in the year 2009 then what?

I think it be better for them to sell it too taxi drivers by that way the volumes will increase and keep the cost of spares low. It would be better to see lot of Vistas on the road in the form of taxis atleast instead of it being a rare commodity on the road.

I am myself a Vista owner. I wouldnt feel bad if I see a lot of Vistas as taxi's. That would only help me reinforce my logic that it was a VFM buy!

Cheers,
Nitin
Old 31st December 2008, 14:03   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal2202 View Post
Queaking sound from one of the joints of front left seat, esp. when a 70+ kg person sits there. no sound when my sis or my wife is there. both under 60 kgs.
heheh...i think the car is trying to tell you something! start dieting and excercising
Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy
I am myself a Vista owner. I wouldnt feel bad if I see a lot of Vistas as taxi's. That would only help me reinforce my logic that it was a VFM buy!
same here! even when I had the V2, i used to point out that the very fact it is popular with the taxiwallahs shows how reliable and economical it is! no taxiwallah will buy a car that would burn a hole in the pocket and also breakdown frequently.
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 14:10   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
heheh...i think the car is trying to tell you something! start dieting and excercising
ha ha! im always on the driver's seat. never leave that for anyone. its the other one that makes noise.

and im myself working very hard to cut down on my weight. i get offended by remarks about my weight!
kunal2202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 14:14   #727
BHPian

Hey, I am in no way against the idea of it being used as a Taxi. As pointed out the entry of this car in the Taxi market will be a boon in the spare car market. This 'taxi' will also improve the image of our country when a foreign delegate comes visiting.
RevH - Dude, this car is already a very good VFM. Try comparing it with cars in the same price bracket & you will get the drift.
I have used 4 Maruti's in the past 16 odd years & I had a hard time to resist myself from the Swift & Dezire. My family & I even sat down and did the Pros & Cons of all the vehicles in the consideration set. Eventually the Vista came out with max points.
Old 31st December 2008, 14:29   #728
BHPian

Maverick, CAD and revhappy

from my personal experiece, most of the taxis in europe are Mercs- be it Germany, France, UK or even Belgium and Mercs are definitely among (undestated- alright) the best cars there.

M800 revolutionized the passenger car market in India, India's own Indica did the same to cab car market. Vista being an improvement will definitely add to the pride.
Old 2nd January 2009, 13:37   #729
BHPian

Default Boots space

Hi Guys,

This is regarding the boot space of the Vista.
There is a Hyundai showroom just below my office hence during lunch I went to check out the i20. It was a demo vehicle and couldnt test drive it.
I started comparing it with my Vista.

The seat heights are quite low compared to the Vista in fact the car height itself is low. After driving the Zen, a car with low seat height wouldnt excite me. The Vista is actually little taller than me (5 feet 6 inchs) and I have trouble cleaning the top. But the i20, I could see the top very clearly. Although the i20 has driver's seat height adjustment, if you make it high enough like the Vista your almost touches the top.
The back seat is wide for 3 people but the legroom not very good and again backseat height not very good.

Now those are the negatives I found compared to the Vista.

But when I opened the boot of the i20 my oh my it is huge!
Now looking back at the boot of the Vista, I feel its very small, In fact when I had taken my wife last month for selecting cars and we looked at the i10 and the Vista back to back, she felt the i10 had slightly bigger boot than the Vista!

Now I am concerned that if we( my family of 5, me, my wife, mom, dad and bro) were to go on a vacation, would the boot of my Vista be sufficient for 2 big bags?

I might have to fit a roof carrier
What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Nitin
Old 2nd January 2009, 14:10   #730
BHPian

The i20 might have a much bigger boot, but is that the only thing that one wants from a car? How many times in a week does one use the boot?
Nitin - You can fit a roof carrier on a temporary basis. Just remove it once the trip is over. That’s what we do with our family Tavera. Although its a big car, almost 10 of us travel in it, so there's not much of a choice but to make the luggage go on the roof. The carrier is quite easy to put on & off. Also the carriers available in the market these days are quite stylish & can add aesthetic value also.
Old 5th January 2009, 13:21   #731
BHPian

Vista Owners please help.
On going thru the clarion manual, I realized that there is an option for connecting your mobile phone to the device & receiving calls on it. According to the manual the one has to connect "a Hands Free kit that supports [Aux] input as a cellular phone audio input". The text in " " is a complete bouncer for me. Further details of the same can be found on Pg 23 of the manual.
Has any one used this function? Can we connect a cable which comes with the phone to the Aux out to use this function? Guys if this works, then there will be hardly any difference between the system in the Limited Edition version & this one. Lets try & crack this. I will also do some R&D today evening. HEHEHEHE...
Old 5th January 2009, 14:42   #732
BHPian

what? this is news to me! will read the manual!
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 15:43   #733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Vista Owners please help.
On going thru the clarion manual, I realized that there is an option for connecting your mobile phone to the device & receiving calls on it. According to the manual the one has to connect "a Hands Free kit that supports [Aux] input as a cellular phone audio input". The text in " " is a complete bouncer for me. Further details of the same can be found on Pg 23 of the manual.
Has any one used this function? Can we connect a cable which comes with the phone to the Aux out to use this function? Guys if this works, then there will be hardly any difference between the system in the Limited Edition version & this one. Lets try & crack this. I will also do some R&D today evening. HEHEHEHE...
Aaah okay! I already enquired about this feature last week. If you contact a clarion dealer (AVI elec in Pune) he will do the installation in 2000 bucks- un-negotiated.. The handset should be bluetooth enabled. they will install a mic in the right sunvisor.
However its not as fascinating as it may seem to be. Whenever a phone will ring, you will hear the sound only on the phone and not on the speakers (no matter what the manual says). You will have to first select the auxillary mode manually and then receive the call. This will engage the speakers. Not to mentione your device will have to be paired up with the system (manually) whenever you enter it. Since i'll be travelling a lot in my car for my business trips I am getting this installation done.
Old 5th January 2009, 15:50   #734
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I wondering about the power of the 1.2 Lt saffire engine.
Why is it only 65 PS? When a 1 lt engine in A* is 68 PS and the 1.2 Lt engine in i10 is 80 PS. Agreed these are modern and frugal engines.

But then even the old 1.1 lt engines of Wagon R and Santro give out around 65 PS.

Isn't 65 PS too less from an 1.2 Lt engine from FIAT?
I know on the road the engine is not that sluggish. Yet on paper I would have expected 70 PS atleast

Cheers,
Nitin

Last edited by revhappy : 5th January 2009 at 15:52.
Old 5th January 2009, 16:08   #735
Senior - BHPian

@Kunal - Now i was completely unaware of this. Nice info. And have you already installed this or will be installing?
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote