Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2008, 13:16   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default Scorpio LX Crde Turbo 2.6 – 5400 odd km driven now– an update on performance!

My Scorpio LX Crde Turbo 2.6 – 5400 odd km driven now– an update on performance on one more long distance trip to Ooty and back!
Did a long distance trip Bangalore-Ooty-Bangalore last weekend in the Scorp – with quite a bit of internal Nilgiris District running around too.
Route: Via Mysore, Nanjangud, Gundlupet, Bandipur Sigur Ghat, Masinagudi to Ooty. Lots of internal running around in the Nilgiris. Back via Pykara, Gudalur, Theppakadu etc.
On the way out of Bangalore, because the JP Nagar/Kanakpura Road approach is under repair and un-motor able at the moment, I used the Gottigere Bannerghatta entrance to the BMIC/NICE road – saw a couple of lorries rather badly stuck on the way on account of slush and water logging. It was 445-515 am so completely dark. Going slowly through all those huge waterlogged ruts in 1st and 2nd gear I was very pleased at my Scorp’s performance – never say die attitude, chugged through everything to come out nicely onto the tarmac! On the way back also last evening, I came the same way. I turned off the main Mysore Highway at 5pm and entered this BMIC/NICE road. Traversing this entire stretch and the Bannerghatta Road, BTM Layout, Silk Board etc, quite to my surprise I was actually parked outside my house at 540pm! Amazing!
Engine/Pickup etc: As usual, fantastic feel, pickup, performance at high speeds with the Turbo Whine etc. Did 140-145-kmph top speed on the BMIC road on several stretches on the way out and on the way back, but only for short distances because of the ever present dangers of people/ animals suddenly crossing the road. For the most part though, we did an average speed of 90-100 Kmph max – vastly preferable because this is a decent optimum speed which does not compromise mile munching, comfort and FE as well! I am truly enjoying the Scorp even more each time we do a long distance trip. After its first service, the jeep is behaving very well too. One can almost visualize it enjoying the mile munching when given its head on the highways!
Load: Me driving, Wife in front seat, assorted luggage and golf bags etc at the rear. Standard 2 steel wheels as ballast in the rear.
Comfort: Front seat absolutely no trouble as usual. Brakes also were first class. Great stopping power – but I preferred this time, owing to rainy weather to keep pumping the brakes now and then, especially after going through waterlogged areas on the road.
Hill Driving and Bad Road Performance:
This time most of the roads were in very good condition despite being the heavy period of the monsoons. Only the road between Gundlupet and Bandipur was quite bad and pot-holed for a distance of maybe 15-20 km. Anyway they are widening the roads and consequently it was sad to see many of the old trees having been chopped down, but I suppose this is the price of progress. One hopes the roads will improve reasonably soon.
As usual was going pretty fast in the hills; around 60-80kmph on average on most of the journeys, even while cornering. Absolutely no body roll from the vehicle communicated itself, to me as the driver. Luggage also remained intact in the back. Decently loaded down, the Scorp is a stable vehicle and performs very well.
The Scorp’s tight, compact proportions and good low end grunt felt fantastic while zipping up and down the tight bends in the hills, including the Sigur ghats where its performance was admirable. The power of this engine is really great. Most of the bumps and potholes were absorbed beautifully by the suspension and of course good tyres and alloy wheels. High ground clearance is a dream to experience! The stability around corners with the alloys and slightly wide stance was absolutely fantastic. Only on a few stretches of really bad roads did I slow down but I still took most bad bumpy stretches at about 30-40 kmph in third and sometimes second gear. All in all, I treated the vehicle more or less the same as I always have- not sparing it at all on the rough bits, but caring for it all the time.
Some minor amount of off-roading on the estate roads and a few of other places we visited, went deep into some narrow and steep tracks but experienced no trouble at all. Since the tracks at times were too narrow to turn around on, I had to reverse most of the way back till I found wider spots where I could reverse. This is only a 2WD Scorp but handled slushy conditions and loose rocks and stone surfaces very well despite the weight of the vehicle. Slight burning tyre smell because once or twice we experienced a bit of wheel spin on particularly loose bits of stone and rock on account of the tyres being coated liberally with slush, but overall, perfectly ok.
Some Standard Observations written about before but which haven’t changed even this time:
Rattles and Squeaks etc: This vehicle has now done a few long trips on not-so-good roads and I am not one to spare the vehicle too much – despite that I’m glad to say that it has not acquired any strange rattles and squeaks etc. As usual, only the golf club heads were rattling about a bit in the back. Mud splashing: This jeep has the regular stock tyres with 16 inch Aura Alloys. Since they stick out a bit from the sides of the vehicle, while going through mud and water, the vehicle sprayed itself quite liberally. This is a normal thing now so I’m not really too concerned. Only, it is better not to stick ones hand out of the window unless wants to be coated in mud and slush! Water splashing onto bonnet: Plus since this vehicle has only the stock bumper without the extending flanges in front, while going through deep water patches, the water gets splashed onto the bonnet and the windscreen – causing temporary visibility chaos – but very soon put right if the wipers are on. Outside Rear view Mirrors vibrating: While driving on unevenly surfaced roads and even at medium/high speeds on highways, I find that the external rear view mirrors tend to vibrate/ shake – they don’t make any noise but when you see traffic behind you, the image of the vehicles in the mirror tends to jerk and rattle about a bit – this could be avoided by each mirror being fitted with some kind of vibration damping mechanism – one should ideally be able to read the number plate on the vehicle coming up behind one, when one is on the highway – in the current scenario one is not able to do that!
KMs covered/ FE etc: 960 odd km. Had filled a full tank before leaving. Filled up 32 litres in Ooty. Did a lot of mileage in the Nilgiris over the last couple of days and before leaving, filled up another 34 litres. Reached Bangalore last evening with half a tank as per the gauge. I would estimate that it will take another 27-28 litres now when I fill up. Used AC most of the time on the drive back. Nett FE returned appears to be approx 10-12 kmpl – more than enough in my opinion, given my driving style and usage.
Alignment/Balancing/ Air Pressure issues noted while driving back (if any): I didn’t feel any wheel mis-alignment or other troubles when I was returning on the Highways unlike the last time around. Vehicle felt very good, stable and behaved very well. We had filled Nitrogen 2 weeks back but since then, before leaving on this trip, have filled up with normal AIR because the tyre pressure had gone down by 2- 3 points. I filled air each time I filled Diesel on the trip as well. Going by the fact that the Nitrogen pressure lasted only 2 weeks, I am now quite convinced that Nitrogen does not remain in the tyres and does not maintain its pressure like it is supposed to, as per the claim. Therefore I am sticking to regular AIR only from now onwards. (I have checked the pressure with my own gauge so I am absolutely sure of this.)
Work to be checked and done if required on the Scorp after returning:
Tyre Balancing check: Does not feel like it is needed this time but will check anyway*
Tyre Rotation: Will be rotating the 4 tyres around as usual to ensure even wear and tear. The 5th one will come back into play after 10000 km is done.
Wheel alignment check: Does not feel like it is needed this time but will check anyway*
Battery check: So far so good.
Coolant check: Also so far so good.
Oil levels etc: Engine Oil Dipstick levels ok. Brake fluid ok.
General:Of course the Scorp keeps getting extremely MUDDY and MUCKY but then why does one buy a jeep type vehicle anyway – certainly not to park it inside away from the elements and admire it daily. Might as well enjoy it as best one can whenever one gets the chance! However, I ensure it gets washed thoroughly so as to prevent mineral encrustation and possibly corrosion etc owing to residual mud and other deposits on the metal.
Conclusion:To conclude, I am really happy I chose to buy the Scorpio, because it is proving itself to be as reliable and enjoyable as all the other Mahindra vehicles I have had before over all these years. No regrets at all having bought the Scorp. It is indeed a superb vehicle for my kind of usage patterns. I am a highly satisfied customer of Mahindra & Mahindra.
Attached Images
          

Last edited by shankar.balan : 18th August 2008 at 13:22.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 14:21   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Comfort: Front seat absolutely no trouble as usual. Brakes also were first class. Great stopping power –
I really would not agree there! The Scorpio's brakes can never be said to be first class!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Hill Driving and Bad Road Performance:
Slight burning tyre smell because once or twice we experienced a bit of wheel spin on particularly loose bits of stone and rock
Was it tyre burning or clutch burning?


Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Some Standard Observations written about before but which haven’t changed even this time:
Outside Rear view Mirrors vibrating: While driving on unevenly surfaced roads and even at medium/high speeds on highways, I find that the external rear view mirrors tend to vibrate/ shake – they don’t make any noise but when you see traffic behind you, the image of the vehicles in the mirror tends to jerk and rattle about a bit –
Strange, but I've never had this issue EVER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I am now quite convinced that Nitrogen does not remain in the tyres and does not maintain its pressure like it is supposed to, as per the claim. Therefore I am sticking to regular AIR only from now onwards. (I have checked the pressure with my own gauge so I am absolutely sure of this.)
I agree with this. After all, what is Nitrogen? Regular air is also nearly 80% Nitrogen. Any claims to a discernible improvement in terms of pressure retention abilities is suspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I am a highly satisfied customer of Mahindra & Mahindra.
On this I can fully agree with you! .......................... thus far!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 14:40   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default

brakes - if used correctly and NOT STOMPED ON SUDDENLY are first class. Regular pumping action is useful after the vehicle has been in and out of water. Thats what I meant - but I agree, the brakes are NOT as good as those on the newer tech vehicles and certainly not as good as those cars/ vehicles with ABS - Indeed, the next Scorp I buy I will buy with ABS.

Ref the reversing on narrow track burning smell. Seemed like tyre spin which caused that burning smell. Tyres spun a bit on loose stones so there was a bit of a burning smell. Left some rubber patches on the stones too. However, it could be clutch too, I am not 100% sure - must ask the garage when the car goes for its checkup!

Mirror vibration - while at speeds I ve always found the mirror image of any car that is behind, tends to vibrate - one cannot read the numberplate of the car behind one and IMO, this should be possible if it is a really top quality mirror!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 14:56   #4
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,708
Thanked: 8,928 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I really would not agree there! The Scorpio's brakes can never be said to be first class!
It cannot be said so with VLX variant with ABS,testdrive it again and lets talk then.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 15:14   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
It cannot be said so with VLX variant with ABS,testdrive it again and lets talk then.
Of course you are probably right, Anshuman!
I have a 2006 CRDe 4X4 without ABS/Airbags etc...
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 16:23   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default

yup Anup

Anshuman is bang on- the new VLX ABS is really superb.

May be a good idea to buy the cheaper variant of this the VLS with ABS next. Anyway for the moment I will manage with the less than adequate brakes on my 2WD regular LX - atleast till it is time for the next upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Of course you are probably right, Anshuman!
I have a 2006 CRDe 4X4 without ABS/Airbags etc...
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 13:17   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default Scorpio LX Crde Turbo 2.6 – 5800 plus km run- Performance update -Mysore Joy ride

Just for fun we drove to Mysore/surrounding environs and back yesterday.

A few points:
1.Passengers: Me driving. My mum in the front passenger seat, strapped in and with a special back rest lumbar support cushion for her comfort. She's recovering from some complications on account of a hip fracture at the moment and Im glad to say, found it reasonably easy to lever herself in and out of the vehicle and found the drive comfortable too.
Back Seat: Wife, also strapped in with the seat belt. My Dad, also strapped in with the seat belt.
Luggage:Nothing at all except my golf bag and other smallish paraphernalia which live in my vehicle and of course, the normal 2 steel wheels for ballast, which are also a permanent fixture in my vehicle.

2.Performance: As usual, when driven with care as well as enjoyment, this machine keeps proving itself to be a superb driver's machine. Great on the highways as well as on bad roads like the entrance/exit of BMIC Mysore road. Speeds driven at were more or less constant at 90-120kmph on the highway. Owing to less traffic for some reason, one could do constant speeds for longer periods. Pushed the vehicle only twice on the journey to 145kmph for a short period just to open out the engine/stretch its legs. Braking:No problems at all because I do my best to anticipate and drive rather than brake suddenly.

3.Bad Road/ Comfort etc: - usual entrance from Bannerghatta Road / Gottigere - on account of recent sunshine, the whole surface is now covered with a light, fine, powdery dust. No water patches except in one or two places. All in all, while there is no road/ no surface at all to speak of, it was still a breeze in the Scorpio, driven slowly in first and second gear on account of my Mum. She didnt find it uncomfortable at all. Nor did the passengers in the back because they were strapped in. It was interesting though on the way back, when a huge car transporter lorry was negotiating one of those deep ruts and for a few seconds its entire right side rear wheels were completely off the ground! A tempo traveller also suffered a lot to cross this stretch. However, by contrast, another Scorpio simply flew through - he was driving quite fast on this stretch. And apart from my Scorp which went through peacefully, though slowly, a Black Bolero which was behind me, seemed to be absolutely enjoying himself on this stretch!

4.FE: I had filled Diesel midweek last week after returning from my Ooty trip. I had noted at the time that the vehicle had given me about 11.56/12 kmpl average.
Yesterday we used AC but on Fresh Air throughout as it was a warm day.
The odo reading states 447 odd km have been covered (including a week's city usage as well as this quick day trip) since the last tankup. The needle is sitting on the red line right now and I shall be filling up in the evening on the way home. I feel it will take in about 40 litres or so.
All in all Im happy with the FE being returned, given my driving style, usage patterns and our road conditions.

5.Overall/Summary: Going by the passengers feedback, Im glad to say that everyone found the journey comfortable and enjoyable. Indeed my Mum even dozed off for a bit on the way back, which IMO is a good indication of confidence and a rested mind/ body. The Scorpio, even on the rutted bits, did not handle badly and "like a boat" as has been said on this forum before. On the highways the vehicle really performs well and Im glad to say that no one in the vehicle felt that we had just driven about 300 odd km up and down!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 19:47   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,030 Times
Default

both were reviews were very interesting Mr. balan. a nice report and you have covered event the smallest deatils.
however as anup said, the ORVM vibration is not an issue in my scorpio too. i suggest you get it checked. the brakes of VLX with ABS is very good, as expected.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 21:40   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Shankar, enjoyed your wonderful, descriptive narration!
Your Mother is lucky she did not find ingress and egress to be a problem. Let's face it, these 'high' SUVs can be rather difficult for elderly members with different ailments. THE most convenient for them are these tall-boy hatchbacks!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 12:54   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default

@ Raj5004 - this ORVM vibration ws there even this morning en route office at slow-ish speeds in traffic.
What Im trying to describe is that when Im driving, if I glance in the rear view mirror at any car which is behind me - on account of the sort of vibration/ up and down shake in my mirrors both left and right side- Im not able to read the numberplate of that car, which, according to me, I should be able to.
Am i correct in this assumption or not?
@anup - yes, but you see, my Mum has been getting in and out of various Mahindra Jeeps over the last 30 odd years when my dad was still on the plantations. She is used to all those old leaky jeeps with the canvas tops and no doors and all that. In the monsoons in some places down south like Munnar/ Coorg/ Nilgiris etc, there was absolutely no way one could be completely dry, using one of those old jeeps! But I do agree, with her hip etc getting into any car, even a tallboy type, has to be done carefully and slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
both were reviews were very interesting Mr. balan. a nice report and you have covered event the smallest deatils.
however as anup said, the ORVM vibration is not an issue in my scorpio too. i suggest you get it checked. the brakes of VLX with ABS is very good, as expected.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 29th August 2008 at 12:57.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 15:57   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,030 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
@ Raj5004 - this ORVM vibration ws there even this morning en route office at slow-ish speeds in traffic.
What Im trying to describe is that when Im driving, if I glance in the rear view mirror at any car which is behind me - on account of the sort of vibration/ up and down shake in my mirrors both left and right side- Im not able to read the numberplate of that car, which, according to me, I should be able to.
Am i correct in this assumption or not?
yes mate, i understood your point. but my scorpio's mirrors are absultely fine with no such vibrations. it only vibrates if i put the music volume too high, that is because of the boom of the sub.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Joy is BMW; Greater JOY is a bigger BMW - F10 525d *EDIT: Now sold!* VSD Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 85 25th July 2016 15:07
Scorpio Turbo 2.6 Crde / 1250 Km Report ramkya1 Long-Term Ownership Reviews 14 25th August 2008 18:35
Scorpio 2.6 Crde Lx Turbo - 4000 Km performance and first service update... shankar.balan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 4 17th July 2008 09:11
Scorpio 2.6 Lx Turbo - 2000 Km performance update shankar.balan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 30 21st May 2008 16:37
performance box on a scorpio crde dhinu_s Modifications & Accessories 12 4th September 2007 20:10


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:26.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks