Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 29th August 2008, 19:42   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
The next free service is at 7500 KM, when engine oil, oil filter fule filter, etc. is changed. As the car has done only 500 km, you have another 2500 km to go, before the second free service.
Even though there is still some time for the second free service, it is advisable to get the vehicle thoroughly inspected and serviced ASAP, more so, because of the upcoming trip!
luvjascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 20:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Kaustubh,

You have clinched a good deal for your old as well as your new car going by the details of your purchase. All the best with your new ride and drive safe.. Enjoy your italian beauty!!
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 20:58   #18
Team-BHP Support

congrats kustubh. no hatch comes close to the palio1.6 for sheer driving pleasure and at that price point. It's an addiction.

Enjoy the drive mate and ride safe. Also, do post some pictures and driving impressions of the 1.6 after your first drive :-)

Cheers,
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 21:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hmm.... From local Golconda Wine to Italian Chianti Wine.... Nice upgrade. Congrats.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 21:09   #20
BHPian

Congratulations!

If I remember correctly, the first service is due at 7500km or 6 months, whichever is earlier. If your car has never been serviced, then it is long overdue. This was the service schedule when I bought my GTX though and may have changed to first service at 1500km, check your records to make sure. In any case, if the car is over a year old, a service is due.

As for your running in the car, I'd say its pointless. 2000km is considered a decent run-in period and your car has gone far beyond that. Besides, if it has been driven hard before you bought it, your running it gently now is a wasted effort. It does serve to familiarize yourself better with the car though!
airfoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 21:16   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post

If I remember correctly, the first service is due at 7500km or 6 months, whichever is earlier.
First free service = 1.5K km or 1 month, whichever is earlier.
Second free service = 7.5K km or 6 months, whichever is earlier.
Third free service = 15K km or 12 months, whichever is earlier.

Quote:
As for your running in the car, I'd say its pointless. 2000km is considered a decent run-in period and your car has gone far beyond that. Besides, if it has been driven hard before you bought it, your running it gently now is a wasted effort
This was my reasoning too. Makes total sense!
Old 29th August 2008, 21:59   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations!
As for your running in the car, I'd say its pointless. 2000km is considered a decent run-in period and your car has gone far beyond that. Besides, if it has been driven hard before you bought it, your running it gently now is a wasted effort. It does serve to familiarize yourself better with the car though!
Makes sense.
Now if it has been driven hard without a proper run-in, what can I do to rectify it / minimize damage?
I guess everyone talks about proper run-in. If its not run-in properly, one is doomed.

Regards,
Kaustubh
kaustubh_vaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 22:38   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustubh_vaze View Post
Now if it has been driven hard without a proper run-in, what can I do to rectify it / minimize damage?
Is there something you're not getting here? We're all suggesting that you get your vehicle serviced ASAP, if you're really interested in ascertaining if there is in fact a few issues with it!

Besides a proper service, I doubt if there is anything you can do, now that the vehicle is past its run-in period.
Old 29th August 2008, 22:44   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
Is there something you're not getting here? We're all suggesting that you get your vehicle serviced ASAP, if you're really interested in ascertaining if there is in fact a few issues with it!
Dude, please don't mind if I confused you. I got exactly what you said and I am going to get the vehicle checked first thing tomorrow morning.
Now my only point here is, even if I check the vehicle and get it serviced, if its not run-in properly earlier, there will be some engine damage or some other kind of damage which may not be apparent/visible when I get the vehicle checked.
In that case one is doomed.
Sorry for the confusion.
Regards,
Kaustubh
kaustubh_vaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 22:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Kaustubh..You join our 1.6 GTX club and enjoy the 100 BHP and revs whcih go with it.
As per the popular request,please post some pics urgently.
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 22:52   #26
BANNED

Quote:
even if I check the vehicle and get it serviced, if its not run-in properly earlier, there will be some engine damage or some other kind of damage which may not be apparent/visible when I get the vehicle checked.
If there is anything significant, you'll be told so by the service adviser. If not, I don't think there is reason to worry.
Old 29th August 2008, 22:56   #27
Team-BHP Support

Arrow not to worry!

Quote:
Now my only point here is, even if I check the vehicle and get it serviced, if its not run-in properly earlier, there will be some engine damage or some other kind of damage which may not be apparent/visible when I get the vehicle checked.
Don't worry about it too much.

Your car had done only 5k km when you both it, so just in case the previous owner hadn't stuck to the recommended run-in period, there won't be hell to pay in terms of damage, if at all.

Just stick to regular maintenance schedules, don't abuse the car and you'll be fine.

Enjoy!
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 23:24   #28
BHPian

Congrats on your new hot hatch.

Don't worry about previous run in, etc. If the motor runs good right now, and has full power, it is o.k. Quite frankly, modern cars need very little run in.

Just give it an oil change (preferably full synthetic Mobil 1 ), and enjoy the free revving DOHC Italian bred motor.

One word of caution; When you do get this car well into triple digit speeds, be aware that the brakes may not be as good as you want them to be.

Regards,
RedMM340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 00:17   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Makes sense.
I guess everyone talks about proper run-in. If its not run-in properly, one is doomed.
There's nothing you can do about damage. But then, why assume the worst? As has been pointed out, modern engines don't really need lengthened run-in periods anyway.

Don't let these vague worries spoil your initial ownership experience, just have the car serviced and checked.

If you can't get the thought out of your mind, then a good indication of engine condition and/or tune could be the mileage the car gives you. From the reserve light indication, reset the tripmeter to zero, fill 5-10 litres of petrol and head out to the highway, until the light reappears. Drive at steady speeds in top gear below 80/2500 rpm and your mileage figures will tell you more about the car's condition. (Ensure you are within 40km of a petrol bunk though!)

You may want to do this before you head for a service; if results are not satisfactory, you could have them addressed.

Last edited by airfoil : 30th August 2008 at 00:20.
airfoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 00:56   #30
BHPian

congratz kaustubh!!
you are going to have one hell of a gala time with your baby!!
enjoyy..
after driving an indica for so many years,the 1.6 seems like a racing car!!
thats my experiance buddy
shantyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote