Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 31st August 2008, 07:58   #1
BHPian

Default Palio 1.2 ELX makes way for a 2 year old Scorpio 2.6 DX

Background:

It was way back in Dec’07 when my wife, to my surprise, broached that we should probably look at moving on from our then 4.5 year-old Palio, especially since there was to be an addition to the family in mid-May’08. We agreed the budget should be around the 8 lakh-mark; regarding choice, though my wife felt the NHC would be best suited for us, I was pulling toward the Safari 2.2 LX or the Scorpio LX.

Then, life got complicated... In mid-Dec’07, I came by a nice piece of land just outside of Trivandrum and decided I shouldn’t let go. With the land deal firmed up, for the next 4-5 months the vehicle purchase got pushed on to the back-burner.

Meanwhile I had stumbled upon Team BHP (while looking out for Safari reviews) and decided to stay on. I also managed to sneak out a TD of the Safari, and later the Sumo Grande (day 1 after launch). While I enjoyed the ride quality and the assurance of the Safari, I wasn’t confident I would be able to handle it in B’lore traffic. The Grande was let down (in my opinion) by it’s fit and finish and the poorly designed tail – I couldn’t come to terms with both. Regarding Scorpio, a good friend let me take his 2-year old Scorpio SLX to Ooty for 3 days – couldn’t have asked for a better TD! That trip helped me decide the Scorpio would suit me better than the Safari.

As the days/weeks/months rolled on, matters began to get worse as first the vehicle prices went up and then the Karnataka Govt upped the road tax. With the hike in prices & tax I considered the sedans – NHC, Fiesta & Logan. However, the fire inside wasn’t strong enough to even push me to TD the vehicles (I was familiar with NHC, thanks to my dad who has been an NHC-holic for the last 4-plus years) – deep inside, I wanted a SUV.

Continued waiting; there was talk here of Bolero CRDe launching in end-Jul’08, but none knew for sure what the monster (or mouse?) would be like: will it have better suspension, is the CRDe 2.6 or 2.2, will it have tyres, etc. As I write, no sign of it yet… Then there was the Ingenio which T-BHP members kept spotting here and there, cloaked from head to toe. Since Mahindra wasn’t forthcoming about the date of launch or configuration of this vehicle either, I presumed this ‘dark-suited beast’ must have been a part of the ‘Dark Knight’ movie promo, and decided to move on…

My Palio by then completed 5 years but importantly, the resale value was dropping, just like the Sensex in Feb-March. It is then that my wife suggested we look at a used vehicle. We had replaced my M800 with a used Santro a year back and the trouble-free experience prompted her to suggest this option. I too felt it might not be a bad idea: my friend’s SLX which I had taken to Ooty had clocked 38k and yet drove beautifully – no rattling, no looseness- no issues absolutely. A quick check on Carwale gave me an idea of prices and I reconfirmed the same with some friends and used car dealers – a 2-year old Scorpio would fit into my budget of Rs.8 lac (depending on mileage, model, accessories, etc). Scoured the net and found this one’s ad on Carwale itself:

Name:  Scorpio_1.jpg
Views: 11495
Size:  211.5 KB

To be continued...
Jammy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 21:07   #2
BHPian

Within two weeks, finalised the deal, arranged for a used vehicle loan from Reliance Capital (these guys were really pro-active and made sure all the paper-work didn't take more than 5 working days) and sold off my Palio. Finally, took delivery of the vehicle on 27th Aug'08...

Details about the vehicle:

Model: Scorpio DX CRDe 2.6 (July 2006)
Colour: Ivory Grey
ODO: 26386 km

Accessories:
  • HR Alloy wheels (4)
  • 3M Sun film
  • ICE: Panasonic head unit, Xplod Amp & Woofer, Boston speakers (4)
  • Mahindra Magicure paint protection
  • Fog lamps
Here are a few more pics:

Name:  Scorpio_2.jpg
Views: 5530
Size:  126.8 KB
Name:  Scorpio_3.jpg
Views: 3093
Size:  234.2 KB

Soaking in the rain, today:

Palio 1.2 ELX makes way for a 2 year old Scorpio 2.6 DX-scorpio_5.jpg

Overall, I am quite happy with the purchase. The vehicle has been maintained quite well by the previous owner and except for a bit of clutch adjustment required, the ride is smooth. My first 'long' ride will materialise tomorrow, when we head out to the Devanahalli Airport; looking forward to it.
Old 5th September 2008, 15:43   #3
Awaiting Email Confirmation

congrats jammy!
you mentioned 8 lacs for a 2yr old scorpio during your search. was that what you paid for this one? or did you manage to bargain?
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 16:46   #4
BHPian

congrats jammy,

nice looking ride dude... i have the exact same wheels on my safari as well - so that makes us "wheel brothers" eh??

i'm looking to ditch my (almost) 6 yr old palio as well and pick up something new - rough idea on how much to expect for my ride - oct 2002 1.2 sport?

cheers dude,

ak
bIte tHe bulLet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 12:18   #5
Team-BHP Support

Jammy looks like you landed yourself a good find.
How come no mention about your buddy Shankar in the write-up?
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 13:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Jammy. That a good buy. The alloys look just great. In my opinion, 8L for a 2 yr old Scorpio might be on a little higher side. As we get a new one in 10L. Hope you have checked the vehicle thoroughly.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 13:42   #7
evo
BHPian

Looks damn good. Perfect colour, great alloys. Congratulations!
evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 16:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
congrats jammy!
you mentioned 8 lacs for a 2yr old scorpio during your search. was that what you paid for this one? or did you manage to bargain?
Thanks rippergeo. No, I was working with a budget of 8 lac. The price quoted for this vehicle was 7.85 and I managed to pull it down to 7.5 lacs.

I did do some homework:
First checked on carwale about used vehicle valuation and the figure thrown up at me was about 7.2 lac for a vehicle in good condition (based on age, odo and location). I figured if I were to add on the cost of the alloys, the ICE (must have costed the earlier owner at least 15 to 20k), sun-control, etc, 7.5 to 7.6 shouldn't be a bad deal.

I also asked around with used car dealers like First Choice & Classic and realised the price I was getting was fair.

Cheers
Old 8th September 2008, 17:00   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
congrats jammy,

nice looking ride dude... i have the exact same wheels on my safari as well - so that makes us "wheel brothers" eh??

i'm looking to ditch my (almost) 6 yr old palio as well and pick up something new - rough idea on how much to expect for my ride - oct 2002 1.2 sport?

cheers dude,

ak
'Wheel brother'... that's a new one!cheers:

Bro, I really went around the bend trying to dispose my Palio (it was a 1.2 Elx). My suggestion is don't go to any of the used car guys as they crib like hell and quote so low, you won't be able to get a pair of underwear with that money (ok, not that low, but guess you get my drift)!

Do ask around with your local garage - I had a Maruti ASC who used to look after my Palio when Fiat was absent in India (I think around 2005) and he quoted me a much better price. But finally it was the Reliance DSA chappie, an enterprising young bloke, who got me the final price of 1.35 (Yep, it isn't much, but I needed to close the sale quickly to part-fund the Scorp purchase).

If you have time on your hands, post ads here, carwale, etc as well pass the word around. Meanwhile few things these guys look at:
  • colours like my wine-red or orange Palios have an history of fading (mine suffered too) and hence are valued less; silver will get a few thou's more
  • my HL units were due to be changed and hence I got hit on that front too
  • but naturally, deisel Palios are preferred, esp by the used car guys
  • I got suckered a bit more when I realised the mfd date on the regstn papers said '2002' though I picked up the vehicle in Mar-03 (wish I had T-BHP to guide me those days!)
I guess if your ride has been decently maintained and doesn't have any visible body-harm, you should get around 1.3 to 1.5; this is my guess, no idea of prices in Delhi. Also, do use the carwale 'used vehicle evaluation' feature- gives you a fair idea of what to expect (as per that, my Palio should have fetched 1.5).

Cheers
Old 8th September 2008, 17:14   #10
BHPian

@benbsb29: Thanks mate. Shankar was breathing down my neck to get the deal over with - I guess he was more excited about it than me! Honestly, he was a great help (and so where the comments by many here on TBHP), most importantly to get a service history check done with Vijay Auto.

@snaronikar: Thanks for the compliments. Regarding the price, do check my reply to rippergeo and let me have your thoughts once again on the price.

@evo: thanks, pal. My two top colour preferences were black and this one. Guess I was lucky to land this one!

Cheers,
Old 9th September 2008, 05:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats

Isnt 7.5L just too much for a 2 year old Scorpio Dx considering new one used to cost ~8L ex showroom
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 10:39   #12
BHPian

akshay, I think you are talking about rates in Chandigarh! In B'lore, 2 years back the DX used to be around 9.3L; I know for sure since a friend picked up an SLX for 10.3L in Oct'06. Also as I mentioned in my earlier post, the prices of new Scorps had shot up in B'lore over the last 3-4 months; the base version LX today is retailing at 9.2L!

Cheers