Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 12th September 2008, 23:37   #61
Senior - BHPian

Dude you've mentioned in the beginning the tyre profile to be 206/65R15

That seems to be incorrect . How about a recheck and update

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandbhat View Post
Abhinav, Thanks for the suggestion. I'm already leaning towards Normal than premium, though Manual mentioned some nomenclature, that I couldn't understand :(
Yes, it is 65Rs/ltr Diesel at Shell station in Bangalore! I was thrown aback when I was told this price at the fuel station, but had no choice but to fill in there, because I had already wasted 45 min to travel last 1km to take a U turn to hit the fuel station. I have already tasted a bit of how woudl diesel dual pricing feel
But good thing is, I seem to get higher mileage than my previous car, so in effect, my monthly expense would not increase... Any way not too much concerned with fuel pricing for the joy of driving this beast....

Yes. I usually used to follow that method, but with the dynamic and average fuel meter on display, I tend to keep observing it
That's pretty high. More than the price of Speed 97 Petrol in Delhi. I can already feel the duel pricing ( if not here , atleast with shell)

Enjoy the drive . What about any modifications or performance upgrade?

Last edited by abhinav.gupta88 : 12th September 2008 at 23:48.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 00:07   #62
Senior - BHPian

First things first, Congrats for your new baby.

Great car, a bit uncommon(Not sure about that, yours makes it two on board already), but a good choice of color nevertheless. The interiors are also looking real nice with that neat leather job. Though the overall feel is stunning from the outside, on the inside, the greys and beige seem a bit off! Its purely what I feel, its your baby and its solely up to you to decide what will she wear.

Shes HOT anyway!!
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 10:49   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Raj!
Probably Black+red leather would have looked good as well, but I though with giving a lighter shade to the seats, interior looks little more spacious. At the back seat, I some how don't feel that cramped by the looks at least, as what it appeared on the TD car I had got (though, TD car had gray upholstry)
yes, thats true. beige certainly makes the interiors look more spacious. even my car has beige interiors but i chose that colour because my car is white and interiors were beige. your car looks very sporty in red and hence i feel that red+black would have made it look oh-so-desirable. but i do agree that even these look fab. i general, even i do have a soft corner for beige leather seats! they look very luxurious.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 12:48   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Dude you've mentioned in the beginning the tyre profile to be 206/65R15

That seems to be incorrect . How about a recheck and update
Yes Abhinav, it should be 205/60 R15 for the ambeiente variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
That's pretty high. More than the price of Speed 97 Petrol in Delhi. I can already feel the duel pricing ( if not here , atleast with shell)

Enjoy the drive . What about any modifications or performance upgrade?
Yes, since Shell doesn't get any subsidy, they sell at market price, and no normal diesel available at Shell stations.
Not planning for any modification yet. Will drive it for 1 year or so on stock, and then will think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
First things first, Congrats for your new baby.
Shes HOT anyway!!
Thanks Dry Ice!
anandbhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 14:22   #65
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Eagerly awaiting you experience with Laura.
Let us describe in all aspects with ride,Comfort,FE and all.
Hope you post within 1 or 2 days.
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 21:55   #66
BHPian

Default 1000km Update!

Odo Reading: 1252km
Using since : 24 days
Visit to work shop : 1 (more details below).
Over all Experience - Excellent
FE (City) - 12-13kpl
FE (highway) - 17-19kpl (last trim yielded 19kpl!!)
Driving experience - Excellent, this is a drivers car after all!!
Handling on smooth road - Excellent
Handling on bad road - Good (This is not an SUV, but a sedan, and does its job pretty well)
Road grip - Excellent
Gear shift - Good (too short throw, causing me to get in 3rd gear slot if I'm not attentive especially at road bumps)
Pick-up - Excellent (so far have max 4 adults, no luggage only, but this car can take up-hills with breeze in 5th gear and I could even overtake petrol vehicles!)
Cabin noise - Minimal (though at idle, noise is higher compared to petrol cars, at cruising speeds, there is none I can say. I checked it at 80kph in 5th gear, switching off AC and MP3 player)
ICE - Excellent (for my standards. Bass is very good. Stereo is effective, it is a great step forward from normal MP3 player + 6 speakers)

Now coming to details.
How did I run-in this car? (still another 300km to go where I need to do high revs).
Typically I drive 10km a day to office, but this is in bumper to bumper traffic. So I decided to do short one day weekend trips around Bangalore, where I don't have to drive more than an hour or two, but I can drive it light footed, with cruising speeds.
Following is my observation:
First tank-up, trip computer read 660km on full tank to re-fuel
Second tank-up (re-filled at 50% tank), it showed 830km to re-fuel
3rd tank-up (again re-filled at ~50% tank), this time I see 960km to refuel!!
So I could see that, FE has been consistently increasing through out run-in period. Though my instinct says, I want to see >1000km to re-fuel on the trip computer, but let me see

Other things I'm taking care for my car (many thanks to various discussions on this forum, for an insightful details on run-in and some research on vag).
- I keep the car idle for a min before taking it out of garage and same when I get my car back to garage, with no exception.
- Never rev the car above 2500 rpm (during run-in) (manual says engine should not be revved beyond 75% of red line, which comes to 3000rpm for Laura).
- It was really hard to remember to be light footed for gear shift, as this car can reach 900rpm to 2500rpm in no time in all gears, but I did make sure to be light footed as much as possible
- Tyre pressure checked every week (I have been keeping it at 34psi now on all 4 wheels, though Manual says 2.1 bar=~32psi).
- Don't let any one test drive my car unless I know my friend is not gonna rev it hard
- One thing that I couldn't manage to do is, car getting switched off since I would have moved to 3rd gear instead of 1st gear: TBhpians, does it harm the vehicle?

How did it feel to drive?
Laura proves again and again a drivers delight. I remembered of RX100!!
Thought it is quite big compared to Accent, it doesn't feel so to drive.
We went to Shivanasamudra one of these weekends, and I was wondering why people are blaming for the bad roads between Maddur and Malavalli. It was tackled quite easily on this car! I would not say that roads were good, but I could easily manuever through the bad pathces/pot holes, with no issues. Even I felt little when I ran over pot holes inside the cabin.
Road noise doesn't filter in at all. Driving this car is sheer joy.
After driving Laura, I feel my Unicorn is hopelessly under powered for a bike! I never felt so when I was driving Accent before!!
I keep wondering how did Skoda managed to get this car with 1350kgs with so many things inbuilt into it.
Overall quite happy with the car.

Why did I go to service station?
When car was delivered, lumbar support adjustment knob was broken, while the dealer got upholestry changed to leather. I reported this to sales rep and he was happy to get it changed the very next day!
When I visited service station, I got a brief dump from the GM there. I was told that, 2008 Laura has few updates from the previsou version, which are not visible (though need to take with a pinch of salt, worth a mention here).
- Turbo has been adjusted to suite indian conditions (recently they have not had any complaints on turbo it seems).
- Air intake has been improved to a great extent
- Only other problem with this car is half clutched drive. because of the high torque, and the clutch plates are still for european standards, it is not fully suitable for bangalore trafic. I was told that clutch plate is designed for some thing like 6lac application, which on indian roads would see pretty early compared to european.

That sums up this update. Next update will be at 5000km!!
Planning to keep this thread alive with any information I get on Laura so stay tuned!!
Old 26th September 2008, 22:40   #67
Senior - BHPian

Amazing FE.
My Office is very near to my home.up and down is only 9-10 kms.
I thought,for short distance run,Laura won't give good FE.
But after saw your feedback.I am really enjoyed.
I too get 12-13kmpl in Chennai Traffic.
Already i have planned for so many long trips.
I'll update once get my car

Where did you check VIN Code ?
whether you activate Anti Hijack ?
IMO,it comes activated in every laura,once it reaches 15KMPH all doors lock automatically and removing the key from ignition ,unlocks only driver side door.By 2 clicks to open all other doors.
am i correct ?

Last edited by ajmat : 28th September 2008 at 05:23.
Old 29th September 2008, 17:09   #68
BHPian

Story continues...
Saturday evening I get a call from Skoda help line to take feedback on the car and delivery process/delearship, etc.
Not sure if this is done to all the Skoda customers, or just me because I have been talking to customer care in Aurangabad over email.

He asked my feedback about delivery process.
My feedback (what ever I can remember now) follows as below.
Overall handling delivery and closing the deal from dealer's side I rate good.
Delivery time excellent (as I got delivery don on time as committed).
Did some one from dealer explain the car pre delivery?
Yes, but knowledge of the car was very poor. Didn't know some basics inside the hood, though in the cabin was explained OK.
This person didn't know where the break fluid reservoir is, or where the various fluid reservoirs were, except the engine oil dip stick and wipe n wash fluid reservoir.

Other than that, I was given the hotline number, service station visit was pretty nice. Overall I would rate Vinayaka Cars 8/10.

Next comes feedback on the car, and follows a story!!
- User Manual discrepancies
- not all data captured in the manual
- AC (manual in Ambeiente) fan speed at "1" is high.

I don't know this customer care guy picks up this last point and forwards it to Vinayaka Cars.
Next day (Sunday), I get a call from Vinayaka Cars, asking if I have any issue related to AC! I explain him, that this was my feedback for the Lauara Ambeiente model itself and not about my only car. It doesn't stop there.
Today, I again get a call from Vinayaka Cars service station, I again explain the same, but this lady on the phone doesn't leave it there. She says, out Service GM (it should be Mr. Patil), wants to talk to you. So have told I'll visit their showroom on Saturday. Lets see what happens there.

Moral is, looks like Skoda thinks they have a perfect car designed (shows Skoda India's aprhension towards taking feedback on their model in my opinion), while there might be minor issues here and there. Instead of fixing it in their model, they seem to conclude it is problem in my car!
Any way, I'll get it checked by Mr. Patil and see what happens from there.

I'm plannign to get the engine oile changed (I would be around 1500km by this Saturday).

I need feedback from you folks, is it worth changing the oil now or should I wait till 4000km check-up?
Old 29th September 2008, 17:15   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
IMO,it comes activated in every laura,once it reaches 15KMPH all doors lock automatically and removing the key from ignition ,unlocks only driver side door.By 2 clicks to open all other doors.
am i correct ?
Karthik, See attached image of the VIN code. It is on the left bottom side of the front windscreen just below where wiper rests.
Ant hijack is enabled by default. if you get a light that display a car and key in the car, you have immobilizer enabled.
at 15kph, all doors lock automatically (though this is not ant hijack), but this door auto locking system (similar to central locking). When you remove the key, drivers door is unlocked. To unlock other doors, need to pull the door open handle twice, or, you could use the unlock switch in front of gear lever, to open all the doors.
Old 29th September 2008, 17:28   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
am i correct ?
Karthik, See attached image of the VIN code. It is on the left bottom side of the front windscreen just below where wiper rests.
Ant hijack is enabled by default. if you get a light that display a car and key in the car, you have immobilizer enabled.
at 15kph, all doors lock automatically (though this is not ant hijack), but this door auto locking system (similar to central locking). When you remove the key, drivers door is unlocked. To unlock other doors, need to pull the door open handle twice, or, you could use the unlock switch in front of gear lever, to open all the doors.
Attached Thumbnails
The Red Laura!-01092008003.jpg  

The Red Laura!-01092008001.jpg  

Old 29th September 2008, 17:29   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Karthik, See attached image of the VIN code.
Using the Vin Code how you know the car details.
is there any sites to check this?
Briskoda or some other sites ?
Old 29th September 2008, 17:56   #72
BHPian

Check this site.
If you type in VIN code and press decode, it will show details.
http://www.analogx.com/cgi-bin/cgivin.exe

In addition, below is the Skoda checklist for pre-delivery (some customization based on specifics of Sokda, thanks to Briskoda!!)
Documentation, Keys etc.
  • Manual present?
  • Radio Code?
  • Key Code?
  • Second Key
  • Registration Document
  • Check that they have registered your warranty
Exterior
  • Car out in the open under natural light
  • Remote central locking
  • Key works in locks
  • Tax Disk correct
  • Dents, chips and scratches
  • Check for swirls/holograms and other imperfections in the paint
  • Check glass for scratches
  • Check for windscreen delamination
  • Check alloys
  • Check all wheelnuts are present, check for locking wheelnut
  • Check door edges for chips and other damage
  • Check tyre pressures
  • Check underside for damage and leaks
Interior
  • Imperfections or dirt on
    • Seats
    • Headlining
    • Trim
    • Carpets
    • Dashboard
  • Underseat storage
  • Seatbelts working
  • All doors shut correctly with no gaps
Electrics &c.
  • No warning lights on dashboard
  • Mileage
  • Electric mirrors both move?
  • Electric windows all go up and down, and one-touch works
  • Heater fan works on all speeds
  • Climatronic present and working
  • ICE
    • Check radio on weak station
    • Check ANT power is on or can be switched on
    • Check CD player
    • Check CD changer
  • Lights
    • Headlights (Xenon?) dip, main beam
    • Fog: front and rear
    • Indicators: Left, Right, Hazard
    • Tail
    • Brake
  • Horn
  • Windscreen wipers
    • All speeds
    • Washers
    • Is the extra-wipe set how you want it?
    • Rear washer/wiper
    • Headlight washers
  • Hand brake
  • Foot brake
  • Clutch
  • Fuel level
  • Parking sensors
Engine Bay
  • Engine cover labelling correct
  • Leaks
  • Corrosion
  • Coolant level
  • Oil level
Boot
  • CD Autochanger
  • Variable boot floor
  • Check Load cover
  • Spare Wheel
    • Steel or Alloy
    • Full Size or Emergency?
    • Tyre pressure
  • Tool kit
  • Wheelnut key

Last edited by anandbhat : 29th September 2008 at 18:07.
Old 29th September 2008, 17:58   #73
BHPian

Why do you want to change the engine oil so early. I believe SKODA recommends OIL change only at 10000km.
hitinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 18:19   #74
BHPian

Yes. Skoda recommends engine change at 10000kms, but if you read other threads on this forum, I think it is better to change the engine oil after first 1500kms or so, so that, any metal dirts in the engine will be flushed out, because of the new engine wear/run-in.
Old 29th September 2008, 20:48   #75
Senior - BHPian

Thanx Anand.
I asked for VIN from Gurudev Motors.(i got URL from Briskoda too)
Once i get it i'll check it and let you know.
check list will be very useful and car is in PDI.
May be morrow it will go for Registration.
I planned to get it on Thursday.