Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 2nd September 2008, 13:23   #1
BHPian

Smile Palio Stile SLX 1.1 2000 km ownership report

I purchased a Furnace Red (closer to maroon) Palio Stile SLX 1.1 in the month of April 2008, and here are my first 2000 km impressions about the car. In a nutshell, I am very happy and satisfied the way it has turned out till now. Read on for the details... (while reading, keep in mind that I am not trying to bash other car brands, but am drawing a practical comparison. No offense intended to any other car owner).

The car is in stock condition, with no additional components (not even a ICU setup done till now). Mostly the driving is in Pune city, with bumper-to-bumper traffic, and twice a week on the highway. With 100% AC in the city and one day highway driving, I manage to get ~10.5 kms per litre on standard petrol. Highway mileage was recorded to be ~16 kms per liter on speed petrol (I guess it would be around 14 for normal petrol, though I haven't confirmed).

The first service was done, and the engine smoothened out considerably. I also followed a proper run-in for the first 1500 kms, as described elsewhere on this forum.

Apart from the standard plus points discussed elsewhere (and I don't intend to repeat them again), here are some other practical plus points that I have noted (the pros):
  1. the door opens in a step-by-step manner -- and this helps when the car is on a sideways incline, by preventing the sudden close of the door on the person getting out of the car. This is unlike the Santro and WagonR and Indica where the door is free-swinging on the hinge.
  2. the gear-box slots can be felt while shifting gears, which confirms the mental image of shifting. In a Santro I have observed the gear box slots to be almost non existent (GLS version).
  3. Riding comfort on the rear-seat is definitely much better than a Santro, and an Indica (I experimented back-to-back with all three cars on a bumpy road).
The handling on highway is very stable (and I have tried it upto the speed on 120 km, with two people) on Mumbai-Pune expressway. Having said that, the car struggles on a climb in the Lonavala ghat, when 4 people are onboard, and some luggage thrown in (this can be remedied by down-shifting, increasing speed, and then up-shifting again). But yes, this is one occassion where the car feels "under-powered". Another occassion is while it accelerates from a dead stop on a signal -- while the Santros', WagonRs' zoom past, it takes a while for the Stile to catch up.

Okay, now the issues that I faced, which caused me a slight nuisance.
  1. One fine day the horn died -- the fuse is fine, the wires are fine, so the relay is now a suspect, but this is yet to be verified.
  2. I had an issue with the left-turn indicator not turning-off automatically when the turn completed. But this was rectified in the first service.
  3. The central locking started acting funny -- sometimes it would lock, sometime it would just toggle. The problem detected was a loose connection from the car to the door, which was fixed by simply attaching the cylindrical connector between the front door hinge and the car body.
  4. An Indica hit my driver side ORVM, and the inner adjustment knob stopped working. I guess the spring-based mechanism went-off.
Now, the cons:
  1. None - for my city driving the 1.1 engine is more than adequate, while the hard clutch is something that I've got more than used-to now.
Final verdict: I think this was the best car that I could get in a budget of 4 lakh rupees on-road (with April discounts).

-choombak
choombak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2008, 16:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nicely written one. I also got a Black SLE for my FIL. I also found it sluggish to an extent but it picks up with slightly higher rpms. Overall I have also liked it very much.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2008, 17:48   #3
BHPian

Nice reivew overall. Just curious about below, does this happen with AC on?

Do post some pics as well.
[Having said that, the car struggles on a climb in the Lonavala ghat, when 4 people are onboard, and some luggage thrown in (this can be remedied by down-shifting, increasing speed, and then up-shifting again). But yes, this is one occassion where the car feels "under-powered". Another occassion is while it accelerates from a dead stop on a signal -- while the Santros', WagonRs' zoom past, it takes a while for the Stile to catch up.-choombak[/quote]
Autocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2008, 18:32   #4
BHPian

Nice review. Can you share how she behaved during the rains? And how about your FE?
Please do post some pics.
cnaganathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2008, 19:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

even my 1.2 is severely sluggish while dealing with inclines. even the 1.6 stile exhibits this to a certain extent. i guess its due to the lack of torque
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 07:53   #6
BHPian

Default Stile SLX 1.1 -- photos

In order to conserve bandwidth, I have uploaded photos to my personal website, here. They were clicked while taking the delivery at B. U. Bhandari in Pune.

-Amarendra (aka choombak on t-bhp)
choombak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 18:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

looks pretty good. congrats again and do all new palios come with the new clear lens taillights ?
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 11:04   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
looks pretty good. congrats again and do all new palios come with the new clear lens taillights ?
Yeah the new Palio Stiles comes with clear lens taillights thou i wish they would had come up with the new logo as well
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 18:31   #9
BHPian

How about the mileage? Can you share your experience please
BenjiRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 19:09   #10
BHPian

Nice reivew dost.
jazzy_2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 19:37   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by choombak View Post
  1. An Indica hit my driver side ORVM, and the inner adjustment knob stopped working. I guess the spring-based mechanism went-off.
-choombak
Indica/Indigo are notorious when it comes to ORVMs, They are the longest to the side of any car manufactured till date. And in addition to that, cab drivers come dangerously close from the opposite site. I just wish the Indica was not what it is.

Well, this is not about the Indica but your new car. Congrats and a good review, but I still think you could easily include the hard clutch in CONS, even if you are used to it. That does not make it non existent
abhi1309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 15:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post
Indica/Indigo are notorious when it comes to ORVMs, They are the longest to the side of any car manufactured till date.
I beg to differ... I think it is the Verna whose ORVMs project the most out of the car's main body. Most Verna drivers keep their ORVMs closed as far as possible.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote