Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 8th September 2008, 23:13   #1
BHPian

Default Indigo CS TDI - Running Report 1000 kms

I got my first car on 13 Aug 2008.
Color: Mica Grey
Version : LS

Positives:
  • Huge space, I can recline the front seat and go to sleep comfortably (I'm 5'8").
  • Highway cruiser: Gobs up highway miles quickly and turbo is fun on long distances.
  • Superb VFM: Need I say more (OTR Price: 4.71 !!!)
  • Great Boot Space: Don't be fooled from outer appearances.
Negatives:
  • City Driving: A royal pain.Period. No power band below 2200 RPM, heavy clutch.
  • Noisy: Cabin noise (Ambient+Engine) abundant
  • Cheap Plastics and claustrophobic interiors (But better than Indica)
First 1000 kms summary:

First Car (Learned driving on this one only, Left fender scratched 3 times due to car driving illiteracy). But when the going gets tough, the tough gets going, after a few days did a 150 kms round trip (Meerut-Delhi - Meerut) on my own strictly abiding all running in guidelines.
Felt as if I was driving a mini truck as gear were hard, so was the clutch.

First Service:
Complained of hard gears and clutch, and a minor rattling sound from doors. They added Bardahl oil (Rs 500) and replaced all door gaskets free of cost along with the clutch cable. Result - butter smooth gears and zero rattles. Clutch hardness remains the same. Also got underbody anti rust treatment (Rs 2700) primarily for reducing the in cabin noise. Surprisingly it did a good job. The bugger applying anti rust didn't tell that there is a full body treatment available also. Will go for the same next week.

Honeymoon over, now comes the worst part - World's famous, tasty, curvy, smooth etc etc TATA A.S.S.!
1.Buggers spoiled the cars interior trims by leaving grease strains all around. Upon complaining they said they have treated the stains with a cleaner and the stains will be gone by the next day. Till date I am living with them.
2. I was shocked to know that TATA doesn;t waxes and polishes the cars in service as a corporate policy!!! (Don't tell me if this is true)
3. The car was delivered full of fingerprints, dust, grease marks on the exterior. I belong to Meerut, you can very well judge what would have happened next (I got the service advisor to remove the marks personally as he was the one wh suggested me that I can go home and clean myself!)

Questions:

1. I registered a complained with TATA website but haven't got any response after 4 days). What can be done further to get these buggers on line?

2. Teflon or No teflon?

3. How to measure the average correctly? Pre 1000 kms : 15kmpl (50% highway 50% local). 11 kmpl (100%local) with AC on.

Post First service: 12 kmpl AC on 100% local. I don't think it is normal. Please advise.

Pics will follow soon, I am in the process of dressing up the naked lady!(Seat Covers, Central Locking, Carpeting, ICE etc.)

Last edited by GTO : 9th September 2008 at 11:52. Reason: Please do NOT use inappropriate language, even indirectly (****).
kumargandharva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 06:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumargandharva View Post
  • Cheap Plastics and claustrophobic interiors (But better than Indica)
No way. My indica comes with power windows, central locking, and the exact same plastics as the indigo CS
Quote:
First Car (Learned driving on this one only, Left fender scratched 3 times due to car driving illiteracy).
Felt as if I was driving a mini truck as gear were hard, so was the clutch.
yup, even my left side bumper corner was scratched a lot at first. The gears , change gears a lot ( you'll need to in the city anyway to keep it in the powerband) and it will loosen up !
Quote:
Honeymoon over, now comes the worst part - World's famous, tasty, curvy, smooth etc etc TATA A.S.S.!
Tell me about it !

Quote:
1.Buggers spoiled the cars interior trims by leaving grease strains all around. Upon complaining they said they have treated the stains with a cleaner and the stains will be gone by the next day. Till date I am living with them.
2. I was shocked to know that TATA doesn;t waxes and polishes the cars in service as a corporate policy!!! (Don't tell me if this is true)
when i get my car back from service, at least its squeaky clean. dont know if they wax it etc
Quote:
I registered a complained with TATA website but haven't got any response after 4 days). What can be done further to get these buggers on line?
after every service , you have to fill up a feedback from , and tata usually calls you up to check on your feedback, at least they do for me
Quote:
2. Teflon or No teflon?
if your car is a dark shade and its a 3M product
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 09:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Clean report. Seems you don't like the TASS as much as you like the car.
Quote:
(I got the service advisor to remove the marks personally as he was the one wh suggested me that I can go home and clean myself!)
Fine, you are living with your car, so forget about those TASS if your job gets done. I understand you "need" to make them do. Thats the hard part of it.
Enjoy you love.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 10:21   #4
BHPian

Well I think your TASS is not one of the good ones. Out here in Chennai we have Concorde Motors who give you the best. In fact it was because of their Service capabilities that I decided to go for a TATA car once again after I sold my Swift. I had an Indica too earlier which was also serviced by them. I did have problems once in a while but when I point them out, they will immediately correct it. Being a TATA subsidiary, they have an excellent escalation mechanism which is prominently displayed in the reception - and believe me the mechanism works. the one occasion I had to escalate, it was solved at the CRO level itself within the assured time!! I think you should take your dealer to task - TATA will definitely respond to your complaint.
cnaganathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 10:27   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
[/list]No way. My indica comes with power windows, central locking, and the exact same plastics as the indigo CS
yup, even my left side bumper corner was scratched a lot at first. The gears , change gears a lot ( you'll need to in the city anyway to keep it in the powerband) and it will loosen up !Tell me about it !

when i get my car back from service, at least its squeaky clean. dont know if they wax it etc

after every service , you have to fill up a feedback from , and tata usually calls you up to check on your feedback, at least they do for me

if your car is a dark shade and its a 3M product
Sorry dear, I was referreing to old gen indica. I used to commute to Gurgaon (It was a private cab).

About the service, nobody contacted me, neither the customer care, nor the dealer followed up. Worst, they didn't gave me the 'form' to fill up. Any tips on this?
Old 9th September 2008, 11:59   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the Indigo CS. Immense value in that sedan, plus it makes for a great first car. Do spend some time reading through the Team-BHP archives and equip yourself with knowledge relevant to car ownership. Dealerships are known to take novices for a ride.

The turbo-lag is nasty and can be a pain in the city. Eventually, you will get used to it and develop work arounds in your driving style.

Quote:
No manufacturer waxes & polishes cars for free. This is always a chargeable service.

Quote:
2. Teflon or No teflon?
We don't recommend Teflon coating. Look up Rudra's article in the Advice section for more details.

Quote:
3. How to measure the average correctly? Pre 1000 kms : 15kmpl (50% highway 50% local). 11 kmpl (100%local) with AC on.
Full tank to full tank.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 12:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the CS. Its a fantastic VFM car. There are other CS owners on the forum especially crosscap. He has a regularly updated there. Will be useful to compare notes but I think he has a petrol

Enjoy your car and happy motoring. Some pictures would be nice.
Dippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 12:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

svsanthosh is the one with the indigo CS TDi.
check his running report ( and travelogues) at
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-5000-kms.html
Old 9th September 2008, 12:22   #9
BHPian

Any tips on fuel efficiency. 12kmpl in moderate traffic is low.
Old 9th September 2008, 12:29   #10
BANNED

Send a mail to Tata Motors (address on the website) with your complaint. If they don't respond in 24 hours, send them a reminder asking what it takes for them to acknowledge your complaint. Believe me, they will come down heavily on the TASC for bad service.

How can a car have huge space and make you feel claustrophobic at the same time? Unless you're referring to the black dashboard which can make the car feel smaller.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 13:07   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
How can a car have huge space and make you feel claustrophobic at the same time? Unless you're referring to the black dashboard which can make the car feel smaller.
Yes I was referring to the black dashboard, doors and gross door trims.
Old 17th September 2008, 20:14   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

...The car was delivered full of fingerprints, dust, grease marks on the exterior. I belong to Meerut, you can very well judge what would have happened next (I got the service advisor to remove the marks personally as he was the one wh suggested me that I can go home and clean myself!)

... Kumar, I can very well relate to that. I belong to Meerut -- born and brought up in the old city (lived in Khairnagar for 25 years), so I very well know how things work in that part of the country.

I can imagine how the SA would have gone about cleaning the car himself. just love that part...

So nice to read that things are still the same there.

BTW, congrats on your car and lovely color you have chosen for the CS

PS: who's the TATA dealer there now?
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 11:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry dear, I was referreing to old gen indica. I used to commute to Gurgaon (It was a private cab).

About the service, nobody contacted me, neither the customer care, nor the dealer followed up. Worst, they didn't gave me the 'form' to fill up. Any tips on this?
Not sure but I guess Tata Customer care follows up if you have got the car servicing done at Concorde motors. I have always got a call from their customer care to get a feedback on the service quality. I haven't to other service center other than concorde in my city (bangalore) although there are few which are closer to my home and office.
ambujlal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 18:07   #14
BHPian

City Driving: A royal pain.Period. No power band below 2200 RPM, heavy clutch.

I totally agree with KG. Below 2100 RPM its like trying to move an elephant!!. I had the opportunity to test drive it the other day. this is where city driving would be affected the most.
(Now a bit off-topic) does anybody know when TATA would be coming with an Indigo CS Quadrajet. I mean if they have the engine why dont they have it on offer?. I am sure with an engine like Quadrajet it would be a real Dzire competitor. and IMHO it would look better than the swollen looking Dzire. again its my opinion,there would be many who might disagree. but then this forum is for such honest views right!
schitre05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 18:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

the indigo CS dicor does take care of some of the sub 2000 rpm lethargy