Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2009, 19:05   #91
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,467
Thanked: 19,367 Times
Default

This I need to see first hand. Tomorrow will visit Toyota and try it out. Kind of difficult to believe as the Altis does not have drive by wire and definitely the manual transmission is not an intelligent unit that sends out signals to the ECU.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 19:09   #92
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 308 Times
Default

Thats what the sales guy told me.

I told him to tell whether same is on the innova and the camry.
he said yes, but then refused a test drive of those two.

So we walked.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 19:17   #93
Senior - BHPian
 
ImmortalZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 139 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
This I need to see first hand. Tomorrow will visit Toyota and try it out. Kind of difficult to believe as the Altis does not have drive by wire and definitely the manual transmission is not an intelligent unit that sends out signals to the ECU.
Umm, if the Thai 2008 Altis is the same as the Indian one (sure does look like it) it does have DBW. Its the same engine (1ZZ-FE).
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 22:39   #94
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,665 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post



Because he's 10 foot tall. Or he always knocks on the Civic (instead of just the dash) because he has such bad buyer's remorse that he feels the need to come into every thread where the Civic is mentioned in a good light and proceed to piss around about issues that only he experiences. Here's an owner's experience : I'm 6 foot 3 inches tall. And I don't hit my knees on the dashboard when I drive. Hell, there's enough free space up there to let me bring the seat forward a couple notches in case I needed to accommodate Amitabh Bachchan in the back. The fact that there is so much room inside is one of the USPs of the Civic that attracted me the most.

the altis dosent have a projector setup. the light spread isnt that bad.

ot - but bro if hes coming into every thread and bashing the civic just ignore it. theres no need to keep replying to it or bashing the corolla back. same thing used to happen to me with the innova vs safari threads. someone would post something totally idiotic and i would get pissed and reply. then i started ignoring. its not worth it. no offence mean to immortalz or ym...
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 22:52   #95
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,467
Thanked: 19,367 Times
Default

Akshay you've just hot the nail on the head. This is a huge forum and each member has his own views.

Ym-enjn has the corolla so is bound to say good things about it to justify his purchase. He will also say why he did not like the competition like Civic.

That does not mean every civic owner pounce on him and try to prove his theories wrong.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 23:07   #96
Senior - BHPian
 
ImmortalZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 139 Times
Default

But... but... but... I didn't bash the Corolla back!

Aww, alright, I'll go mind my own business.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 23:12   #97
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,467
Thanked: 19,367 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
But... but... but... I didn't bash the Corolla back!

Aww, alright, I'll go mind my own business.
lol. Don't worry Immortalz. you didn't bash the Corolla but you were defending the civic.

Anyways are you sure the 1ZZ-FE has DBW? Can you post the link you got that from?
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 23:13   #98
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,665 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
But... but... but... I didn't bash the Corolla back!

Aww, alright, I'll go mind my own business.
im not saying you did. just saying you dont need to reply to his posts if you dont agree with them. instead have a good laugh.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 23:16   #99
Senior - BHPian
 
Fountainheader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
lol. Don't worry Immortalz. you didn't bash the Corolla but you were defending the civic.

Anyways are you sure the 1ZZ-FE has DBW? Can you post the link you got that from?
At times.. "Ignoring is bliss"
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 23:53   #100
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,893
Thanked: 1,134 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
lol. Don't worry Immortalz. you didn't bash the Corolla but you were defending the civic.

Anyways are you sure the 1ZZ-FE has DBW? Can you post the link you got that from?
Yups, the 10G is a DBW engine. Had a 9G too and the accelerator cable on the throttle is missing. Remember its the same 1ZZ-FE engine (tweaked and remapped with a new ECU) and its easy to spot the difference.

Interesting comments on the Corolla v/s the Civic. I am an ex Honda owner (till 2005) and wouldnt care to own one again till they sort out their pathetic dealerships especially the one in Pune. Read some horror stories on TBHP which only boost my resolve.

Ym-engn - Civic bashing is not really justified. It's a great car and has some admirable positives qualities when compared with the Corolla and vice versa. Both have their negatives too. The Civic was a car in my short list whilst on the hunt for a new car.

Cheers!

R2D2
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 12:29   #101
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 240
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

I have a Civic MT, and in-law got an Altis AT. Any day, I will vote for Altis. It has better suspension, powerful headlight, low road/engine noise, practical engine.

In my 1 yrs of ownership, I never got any real chance to revup civic to redline or near. This seems to be the only area where civic scores. But why do one need it, if we can't really use in Indian traffic conditions.

Civic, the most disappointing car ever I bought.
swageo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 13:30   #102
Senior - BHPian
 
Ym-enjn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 1,039
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post

^^ Your claim now.
^^ Your previous claim.
^^Again your justification! There is a huge difference between knocking your knee ONCE, that you now claim. And knocking your knees ALWAYS (having never been able to get inside a Civic without knocking your knee) that you claimed before. So you have swiftly flip flopped your way out of this one. Therefore your statements are inconsistant and have been rendered baseless representing an inherent bias towards the product. Its quite clear from reading your posts that your apparent dislike of the Civic has made you to loose all objectivity while critisizing the car. From hereon anything you say or write about Civic would be considered prejudiced....
And also tell what shall all Bhpians eat today... This statement shows how ignorently important you think you are on T-bhp. But my friend you think wrong each one has equal right to express and decide on T-bhp and you are no one to command others thoughts and actions.

First, prove were there is written in my posts that I ever said "ONCE". Highlighting 'once' in your statement doesn't prove a thing to anyone. On the contrary if I was someone else reading your such statements as above, would start taking your posts less seriously from now on. Which I would do from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Wow.

Just wow.

So you're against everything the human race strives for eh? Improvement? Creativity? Evolution?

You'd rather have FIAT still keep the 1100s in service instead of the dashing Linea or the wonderful Palio GTX?

In another thread I saw you argue that the Altis is very much different than the 8th gen Corolla (with many many pictures) and I believe you said you liked that. Here you say change is bad..
We are talking about next generations of same car, not a totally different car put to same old name. There is no shortage of new names for new product, it is only that marketing expenditure and phasing out and closing an older name which the companies are scared off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
ot - but bro if hes coming into every thread and bashing the civic just ignore it. theres no need to keep replying to it or bashing the corolla back. same thing used to happen to me with the innova vs safari threads. someone would post something totally idiotic and i would get pissed and reply. then i started ignoring. its not worth it. no offence mean to immortalz or ym...
But... but... but... I didn't bash Civic.
That is the whole point bro. He thinks I bash Civic, coz he just bought one a little before Altis launch and is the saddest person on T-bhp. I hd option to buy Civic from 2005 and I never liked that. Altis just came in and I like everything about it. I feel Honda just doesn't try to hard, they don't give everything to Indian costumers, their product sells by brand image. But I want Honda to work hard and give better product to the market. I have not understood that Civic is too short of Altis , a segment lower and that I must stop. Civic people can't handle Altis. Now It would be compared with Laura...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
But... but... but... I didn't bash the Corolla back!

Aww, alright, I'll go mind my own business.
I would laugh on that, what they say ‘crocodile tears’. Every time he says this and then come back again with his big mouth. I am fed up of him Akshay, I have tried in past to ignore him, even tried to close the topic in light mood, but he is the one coming in every Altis thread and pissing off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
im not saying you did. just saying you dont need to reply to his posts if you dont agree with them. instead have a good laugh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
At times.. "Ignoring is bliss"
Thanks buddy, I had tried that in past, but don't know what to do next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Ym-engn - Civic bashing is not really justified. It's a great car and has some admirable positives qualities when compared with the Corolla and vice versa. Both have their negatives too. The Civic was a car in my short list whilst on the hunt for a new car.
R2D2
Sometimes the aura is so big and large that one against it seems to be wrong. With time things changes. Civic had its ride when there was no competition, now we want more from it. Then we would want more from Toyota. There is nothing wrong in that. Slowly more people will speak.. time changes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
I have a Civic MT, and in-law got an Altis AT. Any day, I will vote for Altis. It has better suspension, powerful headlight, low road/engine noise, practical engine.

In my 1 yrs of ownership, I never got any real chance to revup civic to redline or near. This seems to be the only area where civic scores. But why do one need it, if we can't really use in Indian traffic conditions.

Civic, the most disappointing car ever I bought.
It takes courage to speak that...

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 10th January 2009 at 13:33.
Ym-enjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 14:33   #103
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,467
Thanked: 19,367 Times
Default

If I were in the market looking out for a car for myself and had to choose between these 2 cars. I would get the Civic.

Whereas if I was looking out for a car for my dad and wanted something practical then the Altis would be the choice.

Similarily Immortalz is still young and chose the Civic whereas you are a family person and needed something more practical so chose the Altis. Learn to respect each other's decision.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 14:41   #104
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,201
Thanked: 2,089 Times
Default

This is ridisssssculous ! Mods i think you guys need to clean up this thread.
Firstly the title suggests its a Altis TEST DRIVE not civic v/s altis thread.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 16:01   #105
Senior - BHPian
 
Ym-enjn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 1,039
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
If I were in the market looking out for a car for myself and had to choose between these 2 cars. I would get the Civic.

Whereas if I was looking out for a car for my dad and wanted something practical then the Altis would be the choice.

Similarily Immortalz is still young and chose the Civic whereas you are a family person and needed something more practical so chose the Altis. Learn to respect each other's decision.
Point taken!! I never speak personal for anyone but this person has said it twice now, and has become very irritating, so I had to speak in his own language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
This is ridisssssculous ! Mods i think you guys need to clean up this thread.
Firstly the title suggests its a Altis TEST DRIVE not civic v/s altis thread.
+1 - I second that... Please mods..
Ym-enjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Corolla Altis (1.4 D-4D) Diesel : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 217 8th November 2017 20:48
Altis Diesel vs Micra Diesel ! Is Altis Diesel still underpowered ??? Hero Puch The Indian Car Scene 13 8th April 2011 16:20
Corolla Altis AT- Test drive shatrughna Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 138 15th January 2010 18:27


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks