Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 23rd October 2008, 13:52   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
The engineers and the test team! The public is not a guinea pig. And getting justice can be difficult in India. I am more wary of some manufacturers than others, though.

Heh, NP. Due to past experiences we approach similar situations in different ways. If this was USA I wouldn't mind buying the latest car (even from GM, Chrysler or Tata), but in India I am a bit cautious.
I beg to differ on this. Car companies and salesman are the same whether its in the US or India. In USA you have every chance of getting a lemon and there is nothing much you can do. This is based on my experience.
sridhga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 14:30   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhga View Post
I beg to differ on this. Car companies and salesman are the same whether its in the US or India. In USA you have every chance of getting a lemon and there is nothing much you can do. This is based on my experience.
This is wrong. There is lot more protection to consumers in US than in India. Especially in car purchases. There is a law called Lemon Law which protects consumers from defect cars - Lemon Law Information for All 50 States.

India is nowhere close to what protection consumers get in US.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 14:39   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
This is wrong. There is lot more protection to consumers in US than in India. Especially in car purchases. There is a law called Lemon Law which protects consumers from defect cars - Lemon Law Information for All 50 States.

India is nowhere close to what protection consumers get in US.
I do not want to alter the course of this thread. But in reality all those laws do not help you. The way the lawyers work, the cars are financed, insured etc. does not leave much in the hands of the American Consumer. Most Americans do get cheated while buying a car and many do know and acknowledge that. That's why they coined the phrase, 'Used car salesman....'. I do not want an argument. But my points are based on my experience and that of several friends. You can ofcourse differ with me. This is a public forum.
Old 23rd October 2008, 20:56   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's why they coined the phrase, 'Used car salesman....'. I do not want an argument. But my points are based on my experience and that of several friends.
Why don't you post some of those experiences somewhere on this forum?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 09:46   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Why don't you post some of those experiences somewhere on this forum?
Sure I will. When I find time, presumably, by the after 5th November, but not on this thread. This thread is discussing a promising car for the market and let's not hijack it.
Old 19th December 2008, 13:26   #96
BHPian

[quote=junymathew;980152]Hello everybody.

This is my first post on this forum though i have been a regular visitor here for last ................re very small and are not convex. Field of vision is ok but not quite very good.

We were going at around 40K's when a Red Swift Vdi came and overtook us in a rather unruly way. I couldnt hold down my instincts. I forgot that it was a brand new car. I shifted down to 3rd and floored the pedal. The acceleration was amazing. Even though the power delivery is much linear than the swift i could still feel the turbo kicking in at around 1.8k rpm. The engine was smooth during acceleration and it was not at all loud. I almost felt like driving a petrol. it was really smooth.....................

Just one question Juny! did u catch that swift??
kunal2202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 20:01   #97
BHPian

One More QJT Aura! Congrats Kunal2202
TeddyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 11:11   #98
BHPian

Default Thanks!

One More QJT Aura! Congrats Kunal2202

guyz! guess what? i took vista qjd for a long test drive of 30 kms today have just returned 10 mins back. I cant wait to post my observations. Alright I have booked the vehicle already and would have been very disappointed if there had been big flaws, against my initial understanding about the performance and offerings of the vehicle.
The vehicle under test was a demo car from BU Bhandari, Pune camp dealer and my first impression on igniting it was it has not been carefully handeled. I could feel a jerk (back & forth) in selfing. After the engine cranks up to unpedalled rpm its pretty silent.
Spacing is exquisite. I stand almost 6 feet tall and have a bad habit of pushing the seat as back as I can, be it any car. This invariably makes the person sitting behing me uncomfortable. Was not the case today as the person sitting behind me stood 5'9" tall and was resonable comfortable and atleast had enough space to get in and out. Thats not the case in both swift and palio.
lumber jack support is a good feature to have esp. for long drives but i doubt how long t'll last. the lever and spring used doesn't call confidence. Again providing, height adjustable seat is quite thoughtful. My wife is exactly 1 foot shorter than me. She would definitely require this feature. Thumbs down to swift in interior spacing.
My opinion about interiors esp. plastic wont be different from what has already been posted several times in this forum. Yeh dil maange some more there.
60:40 split seat and ckd of that gives a lot of flexibility to handle the boot space. this is a real value for money feature as i understand from some of my european colleagues that it is quite a costly feature to have in europe. Thumbs down to swift for the boot space too.
Tilt steering is not an absolutely necessicity but whose complaining.
Underseat trays, free stereo system etc adds to your sense of vfm.
Lets get down to the technicalities now. I took the car to the new airport road to push it to the limits. In traffic, I could feel a slight lag in steering response. Was not the case with swift. I tried to time myself for 0-100 kmph. I managed 15 secs in swift as against 13.x claimed by n magazines. The reason could have been the merciless use of the test car. I felt the same with Vista it took me some 18.x secs to get from 0-100 kmph. again 16.1 claimed by overdrive test driver. well i choose to believe the the fault was in mishandling the test car rather than my driving. this gets reinforced by the statistics returned by my boss who was co-testing the car with me. He managed 0-100 in 21 secs.
I didnt have enough road space to push the car to the top speed but i reached 130 at a pt. I must say tata's have notched up a wonder here. I least the least body roll against palio and swift. Considering the build quality of erswhile Tata cars, sure a revelation.
My boss kept complaining about the gear box. He drives a Baleno and spark. He was shifting gears as if it was a truck gearbox. I surely found a little amount of play but again I attribute it to such rough use as my boss. I have asked the salesman to confirm me that it is C510 GB of Fiat as per my knowledge.
I was a lil bit disappointed by the way the car handled in city traffic. It has been so talked about feature, how the car handles beautifully in city in 3rd gear. I had to downshift a couple of times even at reasonable kmph and could sometimes make out the rattling of the engines. This was disheartening as I have booked the car already and again would like to pass on the blame to the rough use of the car. I believe my car will get accustomed to my style of driving and should respond better. I need more insights from other owners of vista about the engine rattle and GB response.
Will post more when I get the delivery and will continue from where I am leaving now.

Last edited by aah78 : 20th December 2008 at 23:59. Reason: FONT tags removed.
kunal2202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 14:46   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal2202 View Post
I was a lil bit disappointed by the way the car handled in city traffic. It has been so talked about feature, how the car handles beautifully in city in 3rd gear. I had to downshift a couple of times even at reasonable kmph and could sometimes make out the rattling of the engines.
oh! sorry to hear that. third gear is good for speeds from 18-20 kmph (1000 rpm) and above. below 1000rpm it starts to grumble in any gear. its good in slow but moving traffic. crawling situations call for 2nd gear (5 to 20 kmph) or the 1st (stop-n-go and <5kmph).

60% of my commute is in 3rd gear due to the traffic conditions and it handles beautfully in that.
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 09:09   #100

Back after a long time to share a serious issue which has recently happened.

On one fine day of Dec 24th while Dad was driving he noticed that the Engine Warning Light had started glowing. Well, he was on his way to meet somebody so had to traverse like 5Kms before reaching back home. There was no noticeable problem with the car / engine that time. On Dec 25th we had planned a journey long time back so we had to make sure that the car was good to go. We called up the service centre (St. Antony's Motors Kottayam) from where we picked up the Car and had a talk with the Service centre head.

Most of the staff were on leave that day but we somehow convinced the guy to have our car checked that day. So we brought in the car at their garage and they had a thorough inspection of the car for 5 hours. After which we were informed that they did not find the root cause of the problem but they did some tweaking and the car was in good condition and there should be no worries. The Engine warning light was not glowing any more.

And so come next day morning, we started the journey and I was driving. Still the engine warning light was not glowing. After some 2 kms we reached the highway. I thought of driving smoothly and relaxed. Reached 80Km/hr in top gear slowly and was cruising without any problems.I dint try rapid acceleration. Everything was done smoothly.

But the sight of faster cars made me think of flexing some quadrajet muscle. But now as i tried accelrating something felt wrong about the car. I was doing ~30Km/hr in 3rd and wanted to feel the turbo kick in. I tried to accelerate smoothly. Was watching the tacho till 1.8K rpm and waiting for the car to lunge forward. It got to 2K rpm and still nothing. Wierd!! right. Exactly. Speeds were climbing at a snail pace. I noticed now that the engine warning light was glowing.

I slowed the car and started from 1st.Everything seems alright until 1.5K rpm in all gears. But after that it is BLANK!!. FELT LIKE THE TURBO HAS DIED. If i keep pressing on the accelerator pedal the engine revs increase but thats the only thing that happens. The vehicle does not accelerate at all. The car felt slower than an autorikshaw which easily overtaked us while i was trying to accelerate in 3rd. Took a U-Turn and came back home abandoning the journey.

One more thing i have noticed is that if im going at 60Km/hr and keep the accelerator pedal pushed down at a constant level instead of going at the same speed there is a slight amount of variation in how the car travels.

To sum up these are facts.
1. Engine warning light is glowing now,
2. The car does not accelerate at all like how it used to.
3. After 1.8K rpm engine revs increase but there is MINIMAL acceleration.
4. Speeds build up slowly and i had reached ~80Km/hr and could have gone more. But reaching there is at snail pace.
5. No difference in engine sound.

I have no idea why this is happening. The garage is closed down for christmas so cant have her checked out now.

Anybody had this kind of experience with any car? How did that get solved? Any thoughts of why this is happening? Mechanical / Electronic problems?

Bye Guys.
junymathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 10:42   #101
BHPian

Am speaking from general experience only, with no particular knowledge of the Indica Vista ...

It is likely that, on account of the warning lamp coming on, the ECU switches the engine to "limp-home" mode. In this mode, engine revs are limited to a safe level, enabling the car to be operated at low speeds, and to be brought home or to a service center.

You will need to visit the service center. They will plug in a diagnostic tool to the engine ECU, which should be able to read the fault code - i.e. the reason why the warning lamp is coming on.

There can be many reasons why the lamp is coming on. Fortunately, many of them are very minor errors / faults, which can be easily fixed / reset, with no damage whatsoever to your engine.

All the best ... and do post back with what the service center says / does.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
FourWheelDrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 10:47   #102
Senior - BHPian

+1, sounds like limp home mode has engaged to me. juny, has your car been fully run in yet ?
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 13:44   #103
BHPian

i agree, it definitely sounds like the limp-home mode. please keep us posted with the details of what went long.
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 12:48   #104
BHPian

Shucks, sorry to hear of that experience in your brand new Vista. Most probably, a loose pipe of the turbo / intercooler has caused the problem. I hope that the dealership has gotten it solved by now.

This just goes to show how Tata have a long way to go in Quality control.
GTO - Touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 13:17   #105

Hi guys,
Bad news is that the car is still with the Service centre

Good news is that the problem has been identified and measures have been taken up to resolve it.

As you guys suggested the loss of acceleration was because of the limp mode being turned on due to the engine warning lamp. The ECU error code pointed to some problem with sedimentation unit which accumulated a bit too much dust and needed servicing. They have conveyed to us that they have indeed cleared up the sedimentation unit.

Those people took too much time to identify the problem. At first they said that it was some problem with some sensor and it needed replacement which they ordered from delhi CRAP!. Only after getting information from here and when i asked them about the ECU error code did they speakup about the sedimentation unit problem.

But now they needed some code from the electronic division of tata motors to clear up the ECU error code from memory which still has the error information in it. And hence the warning lamp is still glowing.

Hope fully we will get it back this monday. Will keep you posted. Anyways this was a real bad experience. They did not agree to give us a spare car also. We are car-les for the last week.

Any idea about this sedimentation Unit and the problem?. Is there any place i can report or complain about this delay?.

Thank you.
junymathew is offline   Reply With Quote