Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 23rd September 2008, 18:28   #1
Default Another Cedia Initial Ownership Review

Ever since i moved back from Germany to Bangalore about 4-5 months back, i was looking to get some kind of personal transport. Initially was looking for a bike but Bangalore rains and roads meant that i wouldn't really be comfortable with a bike. So started my hunt for a new car.

First choice which i had to make was deciding between a Company Lease or a Car Loan. Only disadvantage i could find in a compay lease was issues if i leave the company before the lease tenure, but the massive tax savings as well as lack of any down payment meant that Company Lease it was going to be. This also meant that i had a strict upper limit for 10.5 OTR in Bangalore due to some company payroll restrictions.

The criteria i was looking for in a car were :-

1. ABS + Airbags - No compromise on this. I marked out all the cars without these options as i feel that when you are spending so much money on a car, skimping on these options is plain foolish. For people who think that ABS+Airbags are not needed in India, well fact is Airbags save lives in most accidents below 80kmph. ABS is even more necessary considering in India we need to panic brake much more than abroad (imagine a child running across the road on a highway when you are doing 60-70).

2. Driving Pleasure - I just love driving. Infact in germany i used to spend a considerable amount of money renting fast cars just to drive them on the Autobahns. Also, this car would be driven by me and no driver.

3. Looks - I didn't want outdated or cheap looking interiors in my car. Also, it should be pleasant looking from outside as well.

Other criteria such as FE & resale value were not important for me. Of course not important does not mean i would buy a car which gives me 4-5 kmpl but i wouldnt choose one car over the other for FE or Resale.

Considering the criteria, i shortlisted the following cars.

1. Maruti Swift Zxi - Had already driven a friend's Swift before. I think its pretty much the best feature laden car right now in market south of Rs 6 lakhs. But interiors feel cheap and too many on the roads.

2. Maruti SX4 Zxi - Love the looks. Awesome ground clearance. Felt nice to drive as well. Only negative point i felt was cheap plasticky interiors.

3. Honda City VTEC+ - Dealer was trying to push normal VTEC instead. And when i brought up the topic of new City being launched, he started giving vague answers such as next Feb etc. Good car but overpriced compared to Cedia.

4. Ford Fiesta 1.6 S - Just loved the car. Good looks (especially after the upgrade this year). Terrific engine. Brilliant handling. Only dislikes - interior. Especially the aluminum look facia. Strong contender for my bucks.

5. Chevy Optra Magnum - I had only read about the rocket like engine but really when it comes in the turbo range, it just zooms. Handling not really upto the mark and the version with ABS/Airbags was outside my price limit :(

6. Mitsubishi Cedia - Now the first Lancer was the car i grew up dreaming about. And i was just wowed by the test drive. Fulfilled all my criterion and just edged Fiesta S.

I booked my Cedia Spirit with Southern Motors on 1st September for Ashton Grey color and got the delivery on 10th September. Have to mention the sales person Mr Shreedhar FP was very nice throughout despite me pushing him a lot for early delivery. Overall i had a nice experience at the dealership.

Have done some 700 odd kms in just around 2 weeks. Looking forward to going for a weekend trip to Pondicherry and will update my initial ownership experience then.
ethanhunt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 18:35   #2

Congrats on your new ride! Seems to be raining Cedias on team-bhp! What was the On road price in banglore?
Looking forward to a complete review with snaps! Safe driving.
prateekswarup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 19:23   #3

Ethanhunt - Congrats on the new ride. So, how does it feel to be driving on Bangalore roads as compared to the Autobahns in Germany?

Do post a more detailed review once you've driven her a bit, and yeah, do post some snaps of your new ride.
Lalvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 19:59   #4

Congrats ehtan! Welcome to the CEDIA club. Enjoy your drive.
I specifically liked the criteria you had drawn safety first and then driving pleasure on the top. I had seen the grey one at SM and would have picked it if I had settled for spirit!

Do post some pictures. BTW, I spotted a new grey CEDIA in Koramangala first block today morning was it you?
Path_Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 20:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new buy. Liked the criteria you decided about the finalization of the car and host of the cars you hve driven before finalizing. Post some pics.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 20:06   #6

Salutations fellow Cedizen ;-).
Break In nice and even and you would sure have miles of pleasure.

Did you get any discounts / freebies?. Any modification plans?. Please do post pictures too!.

santhosh_kumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 20:31   #7

Thanks all. I got a 50k cash discount + free Llumar sunfilm. The overall OTR was 10.2 lakhs. Also have upgraded the HU from stock Bahamas MP46 to Kenwood BT7539U. Next step planned is upgrading headlamps to Phillips X-treme power / Osram Nightbreaker and adding front comps + amp.

Path_Finder - I would have gone in for the Sports version definitely if available. Anyways am planning to soon get the rear spoiler. There was one more grey Cedia Spirit's delivered on the day i got mine, maybe you saw that one. I dont commute via Koramangala
ethanhunt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 09:55   #8

accept my heartiest congratulations ethanhunt..it is a great car to drive and would serve you well for many many miles
ashish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008, 00:18   #9

I hope you are enjoying your car. Would love a little more experiences with the car on this thread and some pics.
BenjiRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008, 01:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrads Ethan.

Whats needed now is a more detailed ownership review. Pictures. detailed Mods wish list. Detailed ICE plans and most importantly - Likes and dislikes about the car
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008, 01:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new purchase .
Hope you are enjoying it.
Waiting to see some pics.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008, 06:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Mate.
I liked the decision making notes. When you have filters like this, it will greatly help to reduce the number of confusions

Hey, forgot. Where is the pics? When are they coming?
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008, 13:17   #13

Hey there, congrats on your purchase!!! Waiting for a detailed review of the car.
Brosreview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008, 13:45   #14

Congrats Ethan and welcome to the Cedia club. I drove to Pondicherry last year in my Cedia and last week drove down to Kumarakom from Bangalore. It is a sheer delight and pleasure to take this car out on real long drives.

On your drive to Pondicherry, you would experience the same!!
Chat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008, 22:18   #15

Congrats man. It is the great car to drive and i am enjoying with my cedia for the last one year.
VMG is offline   Reply With Quote