Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 6th October 2008, 09:50   #46
BHPian

congratz dueller!
the car looks like a tank getting readied for battle
i feel this the difference between DDiS and MJD.while the former has sweet cute looks the MJD is all masculine robust looks.
plz change gears at 2200 rpm.
shantyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 09:54   #47
BHPian

@Dueller

Lovely color. Good choice of car and color.

Regarding the Fuel pump noise level, I think its not so audible to me. When I turn the ignition key a sound comes as if a motor is ON but vanishes once the Checks are complete.
lightpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 10:31   #48
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Great choice of colour, she looks fantastic. Congratulations. Did you drive the Palio "inside" the temple for pooja
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 14:32   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipt123 View Post
Hey mate! congrats, the grey beauty looks very nice. I think you can safely shift between 1800~2500 rpm. avoid luggin the engine, also avoid continuous constant rpm, vary it between this range. I think she will hold up fine.
About the fuel pump thing- no clue, cause my grey beauty(Indica) is much noisier than the MJD.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Lovely. Congrats. Palio looks lovely in that color.

Cool setup except for the xplod !
Thank you, phamilyman! I've heard of XPlod HUs conking off in 6 months. Took no chances, got it with bill & warranty for 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
beautiful!!! cheers:

your up-shift RPM is alright. dont cross 2000RPMs before you upshift at least until the first service. later you may cross that without any problems but i must tell you that it will slightly lower the FE, in case you are bothered about that. 1800 to 2000 RPM is perfect for normal peak-hour city conditions.
Thank you, C-A-D. I've done about 100kms and the car is already smoothened up a bit & pulls good at lower rpms. This wasn't the case when I just took delivery. Might be a fact or just my imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
congratz dueller!
the car looks like a tank getting readied for battle
i feel this the difference between DDiS and MJD.while the former has sweet cute looks the MJD is all masculine robust looks.
plz change gears at 2200 rpm.
Yes, DDiS looks very cute and drives even better. The TD DDiS I drove was revving like a mad monster, so not Diesel and such a pleasure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightpower View Post
@Dueller

Lovely color. Good choice of car and color.

Regarding the Fuel pump noise level, I think its not so audible to me. When I turn the ignition key a sound comes as if a motor is ON but vanishes once the Checks are complete.
Thanks, lightpower! I can hear the fuel pump before cranking quiet audibly for about 4-5 seconds. After engine start up, I can hear the fuel pump in silent environments. Don't know if this is normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great choice of colour, she looks fantastic. Congratulations. Did you drive the Palio "inside" the temple for pooja
LOL! Thanks, GTO. The pujari insisted that I line up the car with the Deity. It is not inside the temple, but right outside it. What you see is a pandal errected for some function. The main temple is further north of the bonnet.
DueLLeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 14:48   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

sarkar,

please upshift post 2200rpm at the very least. when your darn turbo kicks in at 2000rpm, you MUST use it during run-in. whatever the manual says.

as for CAD saab, his Vista turbo kicks in at 1750 rpm, so 2000 is perfect for HIS car, not yours

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th October 2008 at 15:00. Reason: No indirect use of Foul words
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 15:20   #51
BHPian

Quote:
sarkar,

please upshift post 2200rpm at the very least. when your darn turbo kicks in at 2000rpm, you MUST use it during run-in. whatever the manual says.

as for CAD saab, his Vista turbo kicks in at 1750 rpm, so 2000 is perfect for HIS car, not yours
Thank you for the insight, phamilyman. I'll try upshifting at 2.2k now on. However, I don't know if the new car mentality and traffic on the road will allow me do that! Most of the time, during peak hours, I can only reach 3rd gear speeds. I've also noticed that the MJD engine has a rough spot at around 1.4k. Personally, I find this very awkward after driving a Zen for 5 years, which can take the 5th gear as low as 40 kmph.

As for the 1.3 MJD manual, it says nothing about running in!
Old 6th October 2008, 15:46   #52
BHPian

Thumbs up

Congrats on your car...

I think I've recently seen your car with reg no...and i suppose its a first grey Palio MJD in Vashi apart from a Ozone blue

How much did the ICE setup cost you and which shop at Sec 17?

Btw..who was your Sales person? I had dealt with Zahir@Fortune..and i've had a hell time with those nuts right from managers to sales persons!!

Cheers~
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 16:08   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman
oh ya....my bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR View Post
Most of the time, during peak hours, I can only reach 3rd gear speeds.
thats perfectly ok. in peak hour traffic you cannot cross that speed anyway. from my vista experience i can say that even in the MJD, the third gear would be good enough to handle a variety of speeds we would encounter in traffic. you dont need to upshift to fourth unless you are sure you wont be down-shifting after a couple of 100 meters.
Quote:
As for the 1.3 MJD manual, it says nothing about running in!
it should mention the Max speeds for run-in, if not the RPM. you can keep those speeds in mind and work out the RPM.
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 16:25   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
Congrats on your car...

I think I've recently seen your car with reg no...and i suppose its a first grey Palio MJD in Vashi apart from a Ozone blue

How much did the ICE setup cost you and which shop at Sec 17?

Btw..who was your Sales person? I had dealt with Zahir@Fortune..and i've had a hell time with those nuts right from managers to sales persons!!

Cheers~
Thanks, rudrah! Yep, I think mine is the first grey MJD in Vashi. Have seen a grey SLX/SLE though. Were you in the Formula red Palio Stile 1.6?

ICE was done at Krishna Motors. It is located next to Systems & Solutions in the DCB bank building. Total setup with free antenna cost me 25k. Don't remember the break up though.

Initially when scouting for the Palio, I had gone to Fortune, Nerul. Had a bad time with the sales rep who made me wait for half-an-hour before telling me that the MJD is not available even for display, let alone TD. I got my car from Wasan and sales guy was Maulick Roopani. He was very courteous and kept up to my demand of having the car delivered on the 4th and went out of his way to ensure it is done.

Based on my experience at Fortune and what I'm hearing from others, I don't think I will be going there for the service either. Although Nerul is closer and a much better drive, I'll go to Wasan in Chembur.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Old 6th October 2008, 16:34   #55
BHPian

congrats on your purchase.i think your gearshift pattern is ok.since you feel it is going fast,i can believe that the turbo is being used here.just be a little careful with your car in the run in period.after that you can slightly increase the rpm range.
ankit.jhamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 16:39   #56
BHPian

Quote:
sarkar,

Just spoke to a colleague who owns an MJD. My belief and his statement is that the turbo kicks in at around 1800 rpm and can be felt at around 2000 rpm in the MJD. The Fiat-India website doesn't say when the turbo kicks in. Can someone confirm?

Also, what are the pit falls of not using the turbo during run-in besides lower FE or performance?

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Old 6th October 2008, 16:49   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, rudrah! Yep, I think mine is the first grey MJD in Vashi. Have seen a grey SLX/SLE though. Were you in the Formula red Palio Stile 1.6?

ICE was done at Krishna Motors. It is located next to Systems & Solutions in the DCB bank building. Total setup with free antenna cost me 25k. Don't remember the break up though.

Initially when scouting for the Palio, I had gone to Fortune, Nerul. Had a bad time with the sales rep who made me wait for half-an-hour before telling me that the MJD is not available even for display, let alone TD. I got my car from Wasan and sales guy was Maulick Roopani. He was very courteous and kept up to my demand of having the car delivered on the 4th and went out of his way to ensure it is done.

Based on my experience at Fortune and what I'm hearing from others, I don't think I will be going there for the service either. Although Nerul is closer and a much better drive, I'll go to Wasan in Chembur.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Yup if you might have seen me recently. i suppose i'm the lone Palio Stile 1.6 Formula Red in whole Navi Mumbai I'm glad to be the ONE!!

Regarding the sales experience, Fortune Cars are pathetic, their service are no different. All in all they are more for TATA than Fiat!

I might plan to service at Shaman@Sewri
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 16:54   #58
BHPian

Congrats on the new buy! Grey Stile does look great! Good choice of speakers and amps but a liitle confused as to why a Sony Xplod. Anyways, safe driving
prateekswarup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 18:12   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
Yup if you might have seen me recently. i suppose i'm the lone Palio Stile 1.6 Formula Red in whole Navi Mumbai I'm glad to be the ONE!!

Regarding the sales experience, Fortune Cars are pathetic, their service are no different. All in all they are more for TATA than Fiat!

I might plan to service at Shaman@Sewri
Hey rudrah, I wouldn't advise Shaman to any Fiat owner. Take a look at these threads:
Why don't you try Wasan? It is closer to Vashi than Sewri and I haven't heard anything bad about them as yet.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Old 6th October 2008, 18:51   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, lightpower! I can hear the fuel pump before cranking quiet audibly for about 4-5 seconds. After engine start up, I can hear the fuel pump in silent environments. Don't know if this is normal.
Will listen sharply and let you by tomorrow. BTW my tank is not so quite yet.
lightpower is offline   Reply With Quote