Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 18th October 2008, 22:24   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Oye,

You should have insisted for an oil change at the first service baba !!!
but the manual and the Tata engineers say its not required. frankly no one else apart from in this forum do people talk about oil change in first service...

maybe the effect of an oil change is only psychological for the owner of the car...if it really made a big difference, dont u think at least one automobile engineer in at least one car manufacturing company would have figured it out by now?

btw FE after tank full today was 15.6 kmpl

Last edited by CtrlAltDel : 18th October 2008 at 22:25.
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 08:11   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

sarkar,

please tell me what wrong will come out of an oil change. at max, any gunk/metal filings will be removed. everyone loves shorter oil changes.

Motoman fundaes for bike meant I changed oil at 25, 100, 500 km
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 07:50   #138
BHPian

sirji, nothing would go wrong but my belief is not changing the oil wouldnt affect anything either.
Old 21st October 2008, 12:10   #139
BHPian

Exclamation Mototuning Cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Motoman fundaes for bike meant I changed oil at 25, 100, 500 km
Will you Moto Tune your ZDi?
Glifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 15:37   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
sirji, nothing would go wrong but my belief is not changing the oil wouldnt affect anything either.
I agree on that. I think most people do it on general belief rather than facts.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 15:44   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
CAD: MUL recommends an oil change at 1000km for the same engine, just to remove the metal shavings etc as a result of the running in of the engine. And yes, I belong to the "better safe than sorry" school and do oil changes every 5k kms.

Perhaps the oil gurus could give you some technical proofs of advantages of more frequent oil changes.

Not changing the oil at correct intervals could harm the engine a lot, albeit its anybody's guess as to the definition of the "correct interval".
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 20:39   #142
BHPian

i understand the logic. my question is why doesnt the company recommend an oil change in the first service@1000 kms? i havent heard of any company that recommends it (first time i heard now that MUL does).

apart from Tata and Fiat i have been told that neither GM Ford nor Hyundai too recommend it. thats why i was wondering if the feeling is just psychological for the owner.

FE Update: the FE seems to have gone up after the first service on saturday. the last three weeks, the fuel level indicator used to be at the first marking below the max level in the gauge, at 100kms after filling up.

today i crossed 100kms after the service and only after that did the needle decide to move a wee bit below the max level! the first marking is still a long way off! i'll know the FE the next time i fill her up!

Last edited by CtrlAltDel : 21st October 2008 at 20:46.
Old 21st October 2008, 20:45   #143
Team-BHP Support

I think that manufactures know that frequent oil changes are good for the engine but do not put it down in black and white in their service manuals. This may lead to public perception of their cars being high on maintenance, especially the diesels.

Imagine MUL recommending an oil change every 5k kms and TATA coming up with a comparative print ad saying that their cars would cost 50% less to maintain since oil change is required at 10k kms. Majority of the public would fall for it, I am sure.
Old 21st October 2008, 23:10   #144
BHPian

Quote:
CAD: MUL recommends an oil change at 1000km for the same engine, just to remove the metal shavings etc as a result of the running in of the engine. And yes, I belong to the "better safe than sorry" school and do oil changes every 5k kms.

Perhaps the oil gurus could give you some technical proofs of advantages of more frequent oil changes.
@eddy
is that you get your car serviced every 5 k kms?or it is just the oil change.?if you could just explain this.?
ankit.jhamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 10:40   #145
BHPian

Quote:
"better safe than sorry" school and do oil changes every 5k kms.
Better safe than sorry, which is why Tata/Fiat asks you to change oil every 10,000 Kms even though they could run the engine with oil change of every 30,000 Kms for the MJD and T-jet engines. May be not in Indian conditions, which could be another reason for changing every 10,000 Kms.

But oil has expiry and will loose lubrication at a certain time. Since the running distances in India are short and thus take a lot of years to do 30,000 Kms. So, oil would have to be changed anyway before it gets too old.
opendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 10:46   #146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit.jhamb View Post
@eddy
is that you get your car serviced every 5 k kms?or it is just the oil change.?if you could just explain this.?
I take the car to my service station every 5k kms. They do an oil change, filter change, tyre rotation, air filter cleaning and complete body washing. Labour charges for this are 150 bucks. Plus the expense on oil and filter.

Every 10k, a proper service is done which includes a top up of all liquids, battery check, suspension tightening etc and wheel balancing and alignment from outside.

@Opendro: You may be right sir, but as I said earlier, its difficult to deduce what the correct interval is. I don't know.
Old 22nd October 2008, 14:14   #147
Senior - BHPian

This can get quite perplexing.

Fiat recommends oil change every 7500 km (even first oil change) for the Multijet Diesel. Now If I try to do it frequently then I have to do it every 3750 kms to maintain the frequency (so that an oil change is done at every proper service at 7500 kms too). Since I have a 3-yr, 1.5 lakh km warranty, therefore, I want to ensure that the service schedule is followed. Now 3750 kms is too short an interval, should be atleast 5000 kms.

On the other hand, a lot of people strongly recommend oil changes at 5000 kms as important to keep their diesel engines healthy! Of course, most of these people are running on NA diesels.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 14:36   #148
Team-BHP Support

Yes, that is an issue. But then this is a discrepancy in itself. For the same engine, the oil change intervals for the Swift and Palio differ, and by quite a lot. 10k v/s 7.5k.
Old 22nd October 2008, 14:46   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Labour charges for this are 150 bucks. Plus the expense on oil and filter.

Every 10k, a proper service is done which includes a top up of all liquids, battery check, suspension tightening etc and wheel balancing and alignment from outside.
labour charges 150-is it at MASS Or someother workshop.i am a liitle confused whether i should follow this approach or not.or should i change the service interval to 7.5k.
ankit.jhamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 15:02   #150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit.jhamb View Post
labour charges 150-is it at MASS Or someother workshop.i am a liitle confused whether i should follow this approach or not.or should i change the service interval to 7.5k.
This is at a MASS (Fairdeal Cars, Sahibabad).

I would suggest getting a normal service every 10k, but get your oil and filter changed every 5k, either from MASS or outside. MASS will charge you about 150-200 bucks and take 2 hours. An outside mechanic will do it in 100 bucks in ten minutes. But you will have to carry your own oil and filter.