Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 20th October 2008, 21:37   #31

Very well written review , thanks for sharing the info for us Bhpians. Haven't seen this kind of professionalism in reviews in Teambhp.
muneemmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 22:00   #32
Senior - BHPian

Could not resist this thread specially after diesel was involved. Nice car any given day.
Land Cruiser has earned reputation, a reputation that only Pajero, Patrol possess and in a very small extent Suzuki small 4X4 have ( I eqully respect Lada Niva ).

One thing remains. Even though the steering has less feel irrespective of surface you are on, I mean whether you are on road or off road, this car is still one of the best offroaders available in the market today.

I remember a comparison where Hummer H2 ( agreed its based on GMT 820 i.e. Tahoe, but there are few differences ) was compared with petrol driven Land Cruiser, and the tester thought that Japanese cannot win, but it was more than a match for Hummer H2.

The FE is rather excellent for car of this size.

1) In the present land cruiser generation, angle of approach and departure are issues for pretty serious offroading.
2) Has many advantages as compared to its competitors specially in N.American markets.
3) Underpinning are one of the best that can take the stress of offroading. No compromise here.

Still the best off-roader.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 22:32   #33

Very professional car review.I am big fan of Brosreview.
shivaprasad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 11:53   #34
Team-BHP Support

Just the one I was waiting for!

Originally Posted by Brosreview View Post
costing around AUD 79,990 – 104,990 as supposed to the petrol variant costing around AUD 69,990 – 94,990.
That's a 10 grand premium! How have Australians taken to this, considering that diesel is slightly more expensive as a fuel anyways (as in many other developed countries)?

It carries a 93 litre main and 45-litre secondary fuel tank totalling to a 138-litre fuel tank capacity. Apart from this, it also renders a decent 9kms a litre mileage.
Better range than the petrol, though I'd say urban FE would be in the 7 kpl range. Even on Australian roads.

and 650nm of torque available at as low as 1600rpm enables the 4.5 litre, 8-cylinder twin-turbo diesel
Lipsmaking stuff man! Torque is never enough for a 4x4. Are petrol LCs torquey in their own right? The reason I ask is, my first choice for a big SUV would always be diesel. But in Mumbai, petrol LCs are so much cheaper than the diesels (over 7 - 8 lakhs in some cases). And have considerably lesser miles too. Anyone would get tempted.

While the petrol variants get CRAWL, the diesel gets the DAC – downhill assist control.
But, the DAC does make the brakes hot which gradually reduces its effectiveness.
Diesel engine braking! Why would it heat up the brakes?

than the 6-speed auto-transmission.
Didn't the petrol have a 5 speeder?

Thanks for sharing, brosreview!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 02:49   #35

@muneemmk, aaggoswami, shivaprasad -Hey there, thanks for reading and appreciating.

@GTO - Hey there, thanks for reading and appreciating.

Aussies are still buying it for its capabilities. However, the sales aren't very high unlike in the Middle-east.

Yes, you are right. In the urban zones, it delivers a 7kpl.

Let me explain about why the brakes heat up. When you are in L4 (4WD Low) on the automatic gearbox, there is insufficient braking offered by the diesel engine. This provokes or needs you to engage the DAC. The DAC uses the brakes as you trundle down a descent. This heats up the brakes which in turn reduces its effectiveness.

I hope this clarifies your doubt.

The petrol variant comes with a 6-speed auto as well.

Last edited by Brosreview : 24th October 2008 at 02:51.
Brosreview is offline   Reply With Quote