Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 26th November 2008, 00:27   #76
BHPian

Well come to my world Rudrah. Me too had a few sleepless nights and I actually had the bonnet and both the bumpers repainted. But after a while you do get tired of it and let it go. I understand that your car is relatively new but I would suggest a no go on the paint job.

About the paint I had mine painted at a friends local garage, you don't have to worry about the paint matching if the paint is right and the painter knows what he is doing. I have the same paint left over which comes handy in minor touch ups, must say it works pretty well with some sanding, rubbing compound and polish.

p.s. Its come to my notice that the stile is scratched a little more easily than the retro specially when it comes to the formula red. I have heard that the quality is not that high when it comes to the paint jobs as it was for the retro and also because after repainting the bumpers they are not scratched that easily.
As you might agree Rudrah that even a minor scratch causes the clear and the paint to come off leaving a white mark which is very noticeable on a red car.
michael schume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 15:00   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael schume View Post
Well come to my world Rudrah. Me too had a few sleepless nights and I actually had the bonnet and both the bumpers repainted. But after a while you do get tired of it and let it go. I understand that your car is relatively new but I would suggest a no go on the paint job.

About the paint I had mine painted at a friends local garage, you don't have to worry about the paint matching if the paint is right and the painter knows what he is doing. I have the same paint left over which comes handy in minor touch ups, must say it works pretty well with some sanding, rubbing compound and polish.

p.s. Its come to my notice that the stile is scratched a little more easily than the retro specially when it comes to the formula red. I have heard that the quality is not that high when it comes to the paint jobs as it was for the retro and also because after repainting the bumpers they are not scratched that easily.
As you might agree Rudrah that even a minor scratch causes the clear and the paint to come off leaving a white mark which is very noticeable on a red car.
on the paint quality job on the Palio Stile. A minor scratch makes a white mark immediately..even with a nail on the door handles! Another Cost Cutting work...

So according to you should I leave as it is or go for a local touch up job?
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 12:19   #78
Senior - BHPian

get it done at a local garage for touch ups - get a better work done later.

these scratches keep on coming :( *touchwood*
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 12:36   #79
BHPian

The paint on the black Stile 1.6 also comes off very easily....I got a nice big scratch when a City just touched my front bumper ! However, black has its advantages...got one of the guys selling anti-scratch products at the petrol pump to cover it up for less than 100 bucks
JishD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 12:33   #80
BHPian

So according to you should I leave as it is or go for a local touch up job?[/quote]

I would suggest you to get a brush touch up done from the A.S.S. They would have the same paint with them and like i said before the brush touch-ups hides the scratches well when done properly.

Last edited by michael schume : 28th November 2008 at 12:38.
Old 28th November 2008, 17:34   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
get it done at a local garage for touch ups - get a better work done later.

these scratches keep on coming :( *touchwood*
For that, i've to find a good reliable local garage..and true they just keep coming at you!

Quote:
So according to you should I leave as it is or go for a local touch up job?
I would suggest you to get a brush touch up done from the A.S.S. They would have the same paint with them and like i said before the brush touch-ups hides the scratches well when done properly.[/quote]

I'm in touch with ROMS, he told me he met you at Shaman!

How was the job done for the paint work at your friends garage? my service center is Wasan at chembur since shaman is out! Dont know how reliable they are for paint jobs.

My observation:
While i'm in 1st Gear and applying light brakes, I sometimes hear a light squealing noise and sometimes bit hmmmm sound when fully applied at slow speeds. Any idea what tht wd be?
Old 28th November 2008, 19:18   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
My observation:
While i'm in 1st Gear and applying light brakes, I sometimes hear a light squealing noise and sometimes bit hmmmm sound when fully applied at slow speeds. Any idea what tht wd be?
does this happen when the car is parked for a long time (let's say - overnight)? or does this happen when the brakes are uniformly warm - say after a run?
Old 29th November 2008, 11:07   #83
BHPian

Quote:
does this happen when the car is parked for a long time (let's say - overnight)? or does this happen when the brakes are uniformly warm - say after a run?
You guessed it right, after parked overnight!

However in some occasion of reversing too, the brakes noise comes when i'm not using the accelerator and just the clutch to move back.
Old 29th November 2008, 13:47   #84
Senior - BHPian

i am facing the same issue - i hear that humming sound while applying the brakes after cold starting. but the sound goes off when the brakes warm up. i guess the same is with your car??

i have checked with the service centre guys and they said that pads are fine.

check the disks/rotors in the morning - do you see rust?

Last edited by planet_rocker : 29th November 2008 at 13:48.
Old 29th November 2008, 14:53   #85
BHPian

Looks like Rockers nailed the problem, if you get the noise while braking. But my Stile had a different problem, it made a sort of a squeaking noise and this was'nt on braking and at took Shaman almost a week but they sorted it out eventually.
Rudrah pm me your details and yes it was bloody nice meeting Roms.

Last edited by michael schume : 29th November 2008 at 14:56.
Old 11th December 2008, 12:17   #86
BHPian

Default Purchase decision queries

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I am pretty sure if I started a new thread for the Palio Stile 1.6, it would have been duly closed by the Mods citing references to existing threads. This is by far the most latest discussed thread on the 1.6.

Assuming most people who have responded to this thread either own a 1.6 or looking to own one, I had a few questions.

Premise: Nice 50k discount on the 1.6 in Pune (I guess it would be the case across the country) + the recent cenvat deduction of 4% leads me to calculate the OTR price of the Stile 1.6 to 4.41 lacs. Plus they are throwing in a Blaupunkt HU with two front speakers. I am very keen on trading off my 2001 Lancer SFXi and buying a brand new Palio Stile 1.6 (any color is fine with me, I believe there are three available, Magnesium Grey, Carbon Black and Ferrari Red-though I'll add that wifey is gung-ho about the Ferrari Red )

Questions:
1. It looks a great deal at 4.41 lacs OTR, Pune. What do you guys have to say?
2. What are the possibilities of negotiating with the dealer to add two speakers at the back at a marginal extra cost? Do they agree to this? Any experience of such a sort?
3. Tyre upsize possibilities. 175 isnt exactly the best bet, I presume. Some wider rubber would be excellent for the 1.6
4. Sales/service in Pune seems alright. Any bad experiences with Pune T-BHPians

Solicit your advice, guys. The one reason that can hold back the purchase decision is if the Lancer is not evaluated well and I do not get the intended price. I am looking at 2-2.25 lacs from it. Am I over-estimating? The car is in super condition running wise. There are a touch-ups required, the left side tail-light assembly is broken and would need replacement.

Thank you for your patience. Appreciate your time in responding.
wanderlustindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 12:41   #87
BHPian

Quote:
i am facing the same issue - i hear that humming sound while applying the brakes after cold starting. but the sound goes off when the brakes warm up. i guess the same is with your car??

i have checked with the service centre guys and they said that pads are fine.

check the disks/rotors in the morning - do you see rust?
You said it, right! It usually comes after a cold start and disappears later but there is clutch noise when i'm releasing it slowly in the first gear or while reversing w/o using Accelerator pedal!

Quote:
Looks like Rockers nailed the problem, if you get the noise while braking. But my Stile had a different problem, it made a sort of a squeaking noise and this was'nt on braking and at took Shaman almost a week but they sorted it out eventually.
Rudrah pm me your details and yes it was bloody nice meeting Roms.
Well i think as rocker said, my prob is answered except the clutch noise! i'll PM u soon! sorry for the late response..

Regarding the touch up work for the scratches, is it ok to do the job where the scratch is a single long line? Will it differ in a long run?
Old 11th December 2008, 12:54   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I am pretty sure if I started a new thread for the Palio Stile 1.6, it would have been duly closed by the Mods citing references to existing threads. This is by far the most latest discussed thread on the 1.6.

Assuming most people who have responded to this thread either own a 1.6 or looking to own one, I had a few questions.

Premise: Nice 50k discount on the 1.6 in Pune (I guess it would be the case across the country) + the recent cenvat deduction of 4% leads me to calculate the OTR price of the Stile 1.6 to 4.41 lacs. Plus they are throwing in a Blaupunkt HU with two front speakers. I am very keen on trading off my 2001 Lancer SFXi and buying a brand new Palio Stile 1.6 (any color is fine with me, I believe there are three available, Magnesium Grey, Carbon Black and Ferrari Red-though I'll add that wifey is gung-ho about the Ferrari Red )

Questions:
1. It looks a great deal at 4.41 lacs OTR, Pune. What do you guys have to say?
2. What are the possibilities of negotiating with the dealer to add two speakers at the back at a marginal extra cost? Do they agree to this? Any experience of such a sort?
3. Tyre upsize possibilities. 175 isnt exactly the best bet, I presume. Some wider rubber would be excellent for the 1.6
4. Sales/service in Pune seems alright. Any bad experiences with Pune T-BHPians

Solicit your advice, guys. The one reason that can hold back the purchase decision is if the Lancer is not evaluated well and I do not get the intended price. I am looking at 2-2.25 lacs from it. Am I over-estimating? The car is in super condition running wise. There are a touch-ups required, the left side tail-light assembly is broken and would need replacement.

Thank you for your patience. Appreciate your time in responding.
I'll answer your questions...

1. Super tempting price for a 1.6 horse where no other cars in this segment gives!
2. Sorry i'm not a expertise in this. But I suppose its best to do it from other audio installers. Check with the Audio gurus out here.
3. As far as I've read, depending upon your drive, it is recommended for better upsize of the tyre for better grip and handling!
4. Sales/Service should be good in Pune and plus delivering spare parts would also be easy since the Plant itself is in Pune! Other Pune Bhpians can share the same....

No need to speak about the Performance, handling and driving pleasure of Palio 1.6

Cheers~
Old 11th December 2008, 13:02   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
I'll answer your questions...

1. Super tempting price for a 1.6 horse where no other cars in this segment gives!
2. Sorry i'm not a expertise in this. But I suppose its best to do it from other audio installers. Check with the Audio gurus out here.
3. As far as I've read, depending upon your drive, it is recommended for better upsize of the tyre for better grip and handling!
4. Sales/Service should be good in Pune and plus delivering spare parts would also be easy since the Plant itself is in Pune! Other Pune Bhpians can share the same....

No need to speak about the Performance, handling and driving pleasure of Palio 1.6

Cheers~
Thanks rudrah. I am going to BU Bhandari Pashan showroom this Saturday to discuss with the guys there about how much they can offer for my Lancer. Much depends on this factor for the purchase of a new 1.6.

I spoke to a person at BU Bhandari and he said they are offering the Blaupunkt HU with front two speakers as a limited period offer. Not sure if its worth considering. Like you rightly said, I will have to hear from some audio gurus if that makes sense. Because only front two speakers are not good enough and I need two more at the back to get a decent ICE experience. I am no ICE freak, a decent system and set of speakers works for me alright. I also understand, the 1.6 offers preset wiring for a set of 6 speakers, correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks again, mate.
wanderlustindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 01:42   #90
BHPian

i guess you are expecting a bit too much for your lancer pal
1.75-1.85 would be quite a realistic amount for a 2001 model.
i drive a petra which came with integrated fiat tape and radio and four magnificient speakers.there is place for two more.i recently got the stock tape removed and fitted sony xplode HU with aux input facility and persisted with the same speakers and the out put is amazing.
shantyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote