Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 9th October 2008, 01:03   #16
BHPian

Isnt the fuel filter there to stop all the impurities from getting into the fuel pump,also never overfill the fuel tank it causes the fuel pumps to fail.Is this the HP pump opposite amarsons
ab1xlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 09:52   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1xlr8 View Post
Isnt the fuel filter there to stop all the impurities from getting into the fuel pump
it's there to stop impurities from getting into the engine not fuel pump.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 03:00   #18
BHPian

Cool Ethanol / Gasohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I have had an account with the big HP petrol pump at Bandra junction for over a decade. Since it is company owned, I was confident that they truly are "Pure for Sure". However the below mentioned instances have made me change my mind:

-The first time i ever had a problem with the pump was during my C180 ownership days. It's fuel pump went kaput due to dirty and impurities. I took up this matter with the petrol pump and they confidently denied any foul play from their end, they showed me several test reports done on a daily basis in front of customers. I gave them the benefit of doubt as i had never faced fuel trouble over the past several years with them and the C180 was prone to problems too.
The culprit was Ethanol. A Mercedes with it's advanced electronic sensors would be the first victim at most Petrol Pumps. Ethanol is hygroscopic and absorbs any moisture and fraction-ates in the underground storage tanks. Some years ago the Oil Companies quietly installed silica gel cannisters onto the vent pipes of the underground storage tanks of their petrol stations without any explanation to the dealers. Ethanol is also highly corrosive to normal rubber parts: this explains all the fuel pump failures and bent two stroke engine valves. More expensive Neoprene rubber was substituted to solve the problem.
All agencies involved in introducing Ethanol / Gasohol know this all over the world. Try typing "moisture in petrol tank" into your search engine. You will be amazed at the answers. Only the common man are ignorant, the rest feign ignorance. Basically, adding Ethanol doesn't really save much money except offset foreign exchange, but it also helps increase employment and allows trade profit to remain within the country. It's a political decision.
Anyway, coming back to Ethanol's love for water. This mixture looks like water, but does not react to Water Finding Paste used regularly at petrol stations and hence goes undetected. It looks like kerosene, but isn't. The dirt was supposed to be filtered there anyways.
Mercedes in rural areas did not suffer as Ethanol is usually added to urban supplies. When I saw 60 such 'samples' at the Mercedes Service "certified" by "German Engineers" as 'water' from petrol stations, a qiuck experiment convinced the service staff immediately. I showed them the reaction of Water Finding Paste ( which turns bright pink on contact with water) with petrol, petrol + water and the filter 'samples' ( where there was no reaction ! ) The rest I figured out later, so this post is in reverse chronological order.
Imagine all manufacturers recalling all old vehicles at their cost to upgrade them to withstand ethanol ? Can You ?
Dr.Sumit Bhatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 15:22   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Sahil, what happened to this thread finally? Do you still refuel at the big HP petrol pump at the SV-Linking-Turner Road junction? I've been filling from there since ages, your thread makes me think though. Never faced any problem, anyhow, but thought I'd ask.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 17:35   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Hey Sahil, what happened to this thread finally? Do you still refuel at the big HP petrol pump at the SV-Linking-Turner Road junction? I've been filling from there since ages, your thread makes me think though. Never faced any problem, anyhow, but thought I'd ask.
Yes I still am filling from there, touch wood everything has been fine till now.
Although I have canceled my account with them as they demanded a large deposit amount in addition to the damn 2% service charge that I have been paying them for 20 years!
Have applied for the HP prepaid fuel card, using cash to fill up for the time being.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote