Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 13th October 2008, 03:34   #1
BHPian

Default Porsche vs Lamborghini

Have you noticed that when you take-off or land in an airliner, all stay put. Everyone hope the Captain gets it right and he lands the bird safely. That is exactly what you don’t feel inside the “laziest designers” of the world, Porsches’ latest release –the new 911 GT2. Yes, okay, it may look nigh similar to the other models. But, this is the fastest selling 911 recorded in Porsche’s history. This 997-type 911 is strictly a track-oriented Porsche. So, exactly whom does it want to play around with? Yes, the Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera.

It is evident that the boffins in Porsche were being adventurous the day the GT2 was born. They opened up their toolbox in a racing track, took an already quick 911 Turbo and then exercised it to lose some weight – 100kilos. Then, they removed the group of cogs driving the front wheels to make it a rear-wheel drive car. Then, they added racing tires which (not joking here) needs preparation before you get in the mood of... you know what. The tires need to be heated. And, once they are, the experience is... wait for it, I have mentioned it later on. Then, to add on to the tomfoolery, the boffins made the 3.6litre boxer engine produce 530hp at 6500revs and 680nms maintained “constantly” at 2200-4500revs in a 1440-kilo car. Some devil then spoke to them in their ears and asked them, “why not turbo-charge it?” They responded by thrusting in two turbo-chargers with a larger compressor wheel and a flow-optimised turbine housing raising the turbocharger pressure to an even higher level. In addition, they combined the turbocharged engine with an expansion-type intake manifold – worlds first which decreases fuel consumption up to 15% under full-load. I mean, what the...?!

For the ones who have not yet anticipated how this goes, let me put it this way – there is absolutely no time when it is already late as your revs are hitting the red band and cursing you to shift to the second gear. And, when you shift and shift and shift and shift, your body moves to and fro with the seatbelt keeping you in place in this extra-tight car. Yes, it is actually that fast. As Dowling told us, “if you want to know how quick this car is, count to four... there, you are doing 100ks now”; 0-100kph in 3.7 seconds and touches 330k’s. It is remarkably fast.

Then, is the easiness to drive it. Don’t get me wrong, but it is as easy as driving a Corolla. The clutch is light, the gearbox is precise and fuss-free, and the steering is just like what a driver would want. But, yes, it is strictly the drivability not the performance that is like the Corolla. So, don’t get the comment wrong.

Let us be honest, this car is a road-legal sports car. So, Porsche has been thoughtful enough to provide some room to carry along a few goods. There is space behind the seats, a dickey, deep glove boxes and door pockets. They also provide a high-end music system to drown the growl.

The handling – Yes, I am getting there. Every racing gamer must connect to this: drawing imaginary lines around a racetrack. These are the quickest lines round a corner that can beat the records set. I think those imaginary lines are pre-set in this Porsche and it is programmed to go on those lines as if it is a tram, but with truckloads of power, of course. The phenomenal grip by 235/35ZR 19 front and 325/30 ZR 19 rear sport tires on 19” light alloy wheels with PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) keeps the fast car on the track. It is so firm that you will be quite certain that nothing is going to go wrong unlike the feeling in the airliner I mentioned earlier.

But, since the car bears a rear-mounted engine like any other Porsche, you may, strictly at high-speeds find the front-end quite light. At times, that could be scary and you may think why the boffins didn’t put some extra weight at the front-end to make one less scared. The ones who read our earlier reviews will know that if there is no fear, no excitement in sports cars, then what is the point is buying them. So, we don’t consider that as a flaw but an excitement stimulus.

Therefore, I see no argument in Porsche attempting to defend itself from the humiliation the GT-R has created. In recent reports, it is made known that when August Achleitner, the 911 product chief of Porsche dragged the GT-R to the Nurburgring, it recorded only a 7:59 and not a self-claimed 7:29. Porsche argues that if GT-R did a 7:29, they must have changed the tires to race-sleek ones which is frankly a modification from the stock, isn’t it? This GT2 did it in 7:34 that was faster than the 911 Turbo that did it in 7:38.

Now, how is it when compared to Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera? It is a 5litre, V10. The performance figures are identical and thus are surprising to start with. How did the baby Lambo with a comparatively bigger engine only manage to produce identical horsepower – 530hp?

In a 0-100 shootout, Porsche is more impressive. Here is the reason – both touch 100ks in less than 4 seconds. However, the Porsche deserves more applause because unlike Gallardo, the Porsche does not have an all-wheel drive system.

The turbo in the Gallardo comes with an invite. I mean, you can speculate when the extra oomph kicks in. But, in the GT2, turbo-lag is turbo-lag?! – What are you talking about? Yes, there is hardly anything. So, it kicks in before you even know it has or you have been kicked. It is that furious.

So, some may say the Gallardo is easier to drive because you know what and when to expect. But, it is harder to get into than the Porsche. I must train myself hard to get into the racing figure to fit into it.

You need to be cautious, very cautious as you drive the GT2, as the throttle response is astounding. I must say the e-gear in the Gallardo is an advantage because whilst power sliding you can simply pluck a gear and the V10 will easily manage the transformation. In such “rare” circumstances in the GT2, you may find it dancing on hot coal.

During “enthusiastic driving” (brochure usage), 80% of power is sent to the rear wheels in the Lambo. So, that implies fear=excitement in driving is rendered by a highly-powered majorly rear-wheel drive car which the GT2 already is.

The turning radius of the GT2 is better than the baby Lambo. So, U-turns can become quite stylish and easy.

I think one of the standout features of the Gallardo over the Porsche was the brakes. It feels solid and its stopping performance is better than the Porsche.

Both of these cars will make you feel insecure as you drive in the city. When there are speed breakers, you may get a heart attack. The only consolation in the GT2 is the front bumper has a flexible rubber edge. It is cheap to replace too. I mean Porsche cheap, savvy. But, the Gallardo is harder to drive because of the crowd you will be attracting. Let us face it; the Gallardo looks more radical than the Porsche.

They ask, “Which one will you have?” I ask, “Can I have both?” Ha-ha. It is not hard to decide which one to go for. Both cost around AUD4, 20,000 – 4, 40,000. GT2 sprints for 100kms with 12.5litres while the Gallardo Superleggera runs for 100kms in 17litres. GT2 touches 330kph while the Gallardo touches 320kph.

I admire the ingenuity of the boffins at Porsche that they managed to produce identical power from an engine 1.4litre lesser than the Lambo. If there were no speed-breakers anywhere near I stayed, I would go for the Porsche. And, that is the only reason to not buy the Porsche.

Therefore, we suggest a preposterous verdict. Buy both, one for sliding to the track and one for gliding to the parties. You know what’s for what, don’t you?

PS: I want to add that I have always been a Porsche lover. I have tried to be unbiased here. However, this particular model has officially made me a Porschaedophile.

Images of Porsche GT2 and Lamborghini Superleggera @ NYC Auto show
Attached Images

Brosreview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2008, 03:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

The Gallardo engine is naturally aspirated, and achieves 525 hp from 5 litres. The Porsche has twin turbos to make its 3.6 litres put out 530 hp. That would explain your power difference. I suspect the Porsche also features direct injection.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2008, 06:57   #3
BHPian

@v1p3r - (Claps) Hey there, we praise the distinguished engine specification pointed out. To be honest, we were expecting someone to identify it. Bravo!!!

You see, that makes the purchasing decision hard. The great power churned out by the simple Lamborghini with ordinary handling or the complicatedly powered Porsche with extraordinary handling.
Old 14th October 2008, 01:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosreview View Post
@v1p3r - (Claps) Hey there, we praise the distinguished engine specification pointed out. To be honest, we were expecting someone to identify it. Bravo!!!
Thanks! Do I qualify for a job with you guys now?
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 20:37   #5

Thanks for the nice review.Bro which car enjoys more brad value in Australia?
shivaprasad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 17:39   #6
Team-BHP Support

You have a flair for writing and your style suits perfectly the auto magazines. Really good comparison, enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 19:59   #7
BHPian

Amazing review,
can we get something of this sort (comparo) of the new 911 against its competitors please???
doctorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 02:21   #8
BHPian

Hey all, thanks for reading and appreciating.

@v2p3r
- Yea, you do!!!

@shivaprasad
- Both are equally doing well.

@mobike008 - Thanks. Yes, the experience was worth sharing.

@doctorque - Thanks. If you could specify the 911 model, we could conduct a "comparo" and release a review in a few weeks' time.
Old 17th October 2008, 06:40   #9

lovely review bro!!! i also do appreciate ur skills and time in doing this stuff..
iamhaunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 03:32   #10
BHPian

@iamhaunted - Hey there, thanks for reading and appreciating.
Old 19th October 2008, 07:36   #11
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I was about to point out that this was a review by an unabashed porsche fanboy, till I read your closing statement. atleast you owned up to it
However, I do agree that the porsche wins here(for me,atleast)
Great review.
Do you do offroaders by any chance?
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 02:55   #12
BHPian

@rippergeo - Hey there, thanks for reading and appreciating.

Actually, the car was supposed to be reviewed by another member of ours. But, since he caught up with his old love (whose review is coming up soon) we had to send our "Porschaedophile" to TD it.

Yes, we do off-roaders.