Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2008, 12:29   #16
BHPian
 
Strangerintown's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 184
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanm View Post
Little update on the vehicle, have completed 1200kms and one month, had the first service done today, no problems with the car other than a couple of fit and finish issues with the angle the armrest sit, will have a look myself as the sevice station here were not really interested and gave me the excuse they cannot be adjusted. Anyone in Goa who can recommend the best tata service place?
Enjoying the ride with a passion, someone gave the rear bumper right hand side a knock when it was parked yesterday evening, now i have a lovely dent on the plastic!!! glad i didn't have the claddings painted, this look has grown on me now.

pics to follow soon....

Stefan

The armrest angle changes with the angle of the seat back. So if you lean the seat backwards, the armrest height increases and if you straighten the seat back, the armrest gets lowered.

I actually prefer the Safari with grey cladding. The fact that it provides a level of scratch protection is a bonus .

BTW - what about some pics of the beast!
Strangerintown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 19:54   #17
BHPian
 
stefanm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Goa
Posts: 212
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

HI,

I have attached some pics of the beast, these were taken when the car was delivered to the showroom, sorry for the delay been busy sorting my life out, having just shifted to Goa from the UK 2months ago. Arctic silver is also a good choice. I have seen a few of the older dicor's in red with unpainted cladding, looking really cool, shame it doesn't appear available anymore, definatly would have prefered that colour. Enjoy the pics.

Stefan
Attached Thumbnails
One more Safari Booked (EDIT: Now delivery taken, its a Cycus Grey LX)-p1010198.jpg  

One more Safari Booked (EDIT: Now delivery taken, its a Cycus Grey LX)-p1010199.jpg  

One more Safari Booked (EDIT: Now delivery taken, its a Cycus Grey LX)-p1010200.jpg  

One more Safari Booked (EDIT: Now delivery taken, its a Cycus Grey LX)-p1010201.jpg  

One more Safari Booked (EDIT: Now delivery taken, its a Cycus Grey LX)-p1010202.jpg  

One more Safari Booked (EDIT: Now delivery taken, its a Cycus Grey LX)-p1010203.jpg  

stefanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 22:44   #18
BHPian
 
kkdelhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 230
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanm View Post
HI,
I have attached some pics of the beast,...Enjoy the pics.
Welcome to the club is mutual! Your truck looks awesome in that color. Add to that the Goan surroundings. Never been there...will definitely make it a point to visit the place in the near future.

Enjoy!
kkdelhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 08:41   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
Latheesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore/Kannur
Posts: 2,983
Thanked: 2,666 Times
Default

Congrats, nice colour choice

start making more and more your own roads
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 13:48   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: AECS Layout,Bangalore
Posts: 66
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanm View Post
HI,

I have attached some pics of the beast, these were taken when the car was delivered to the showroom, sorry for the delay been busy sorting my life out, having just shifted to Goa from the UK 2months ago. Arctic silver is also a good choice. I have seen a few of the older dicor's in red with unpainted cladding, looking really cool, shame it doesn't appear available anymore, definatly would have prefered that colour. Enjoy the pics.

Stefan
congrats for the beast, nice color too.
so its time to soak up the sun every weekend.

Avi
Avin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 20:40   #21
BHPian
 
stefanm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Goa
Posts: 212
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
The armrest angle changes with the angle of the seat back. So if you lean the seat backwards, the armrest height increases and if you straighten the seat back, the armrest gets lowered.

No that's not what i meant, when both of the arm rests are in the up position, the drivers side is angled/tilts forward more than the passengers side, going to try and adjust it myself.

I actually prefer the Safari with grey cladding. The fact that it provides a level of scratch protection is a bonus .

BTW - what about some pics of the beast!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post
Welcome to the club is mutual! Your truck looks awesome in that color. Add to that the Goan surroundings. Never been there...will definitely make it a point to visit the place in the near future.

Enjoy!
Definatly worth driving down, stunning scenery, natures beauty at it's best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Congrats, nice colour choice

start making more and more your own roads
Thanks dude, funny you saying that are street has just been tarmaced perfectly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avin View Post
congrats for the beast, nice color too.
so its time to soak up the sun every weekend.

Thanks man, here in Goa we're soaking up the sun daily.

Avi
stefanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 19:34   #22
BHPian
 
rrsteer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 144022
Posts: 940
Thanked: 893 Times
Default

Hi,

An off track question. When I went to the Tata Motors dealership in Jalandhar to take a test drive of Safari, I was denied the test drive on the premise that my license permits me to drive a 2 wheeler or a car only, while Safari is a LTV and hence requires a LTV valid license.

Is what the dealer saying true?
rrsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 23:29   #23
BHPian
 
Strangerintown's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 184
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi,

An off track question. When I went to the Tata Motors dealership in Jalandhar to take a test drive of Safari, I was denied the test drive on the premise that my license permits me to drive a 2 wheeler or a car only, while Safari is a LTV and hence requires a LTV valid license.

Is what the dealer saying true?
Wow! I have heard of many wierd excuses from dealers but that has to be a first! The Safari does not require an LCV license! It qualifies as a four wheel passenger vehicle and so a standard 4 wheeler license is all you need.
Strangerintown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 23:56   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 448
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

Congrat guys !!! with your beasts.
I would like to know on following before i decide on finalising my vehicle.
In LX - How is the AC?is it powerful enough or a roof Ac is required as in EX.
Does the vehicle LX come with tubeless tyres?
I would like to get an EX with alloy wheels & ABS but the same is not available hence want to settle with LX as it is most economical of the lot.
Thanks
Kiren
kiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 11:42   #25
BHPian
 
bIte tHe bulLet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 438
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

congratulations to all the safari virgins here!!!

(i came off the same list when i completed 6 months and 10k kms!!! )

the cycus grey looks real good man... that was the colour i had booked before being d%^&#d around by the dealer here in delhi... finally took the black.

i'm assuming the fog lamp switch has been put in the little space on the left of the steering wheel where the 4x4 switch fits on the 4x4 models? thats where mine resides...

have fun with her, and believe me, the unpainted bumpers are one heck of a boon... as much as i like an all painted look, i'd die a million deaths with each scratch that the bumpers took in our chaotic traffic.

drive safe and drive sane cheers:
bIte tHe bulLet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 18:12   #26
BHPian
 
amip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 166
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
Congrat guys !!! with your beasts.
I would like to know on following before i decide on finalising my vehicle.
In LX - How is the AC?is it powerful enough or a roof Ac is required as in EX.
Does the vehicle LX come with tubeless tyres?
I would like to get an EX with alloy wheels & ABS but the same is not available hence want to settle with LX as it is most economical of the lot.
Thanks
Kiren
I recently bought a Cycus Grey Lx too - congrats Stefan - great buy!cheers:

The AC effectiveness depends on a couple of things
1) How warm is the climate where you live - Mumbai shouldn't be so bad
2) Are you regularly going to have people in the rear seat?

The AC is fine for the front seats even in true Hyderabadi heat - but life isin't so kind to the passengers at the back when temperatures are over 35 DegreesC
amip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 08:52   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
TheARUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,272
Thanked: 492 Times
Default

One thing I really like about the basic SAFARI is that the steel wheels themselves look like alloy wheels. Tough vehicles like the LAND ROVER DEFENDER come with steel wheels because they are the most tough ones. Alloys tend to crack under pressure (off-road pressure).

Did everyone notice something, the old SAFARI used to come with dual headlights, the new one comes with a single headlight
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 09:34   #28
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post

In LX - How is the AC?is it powerful enough or a roof Ac is required as in EX.

Does the vehicle LX come with tubeless tyres?

Kiren
I rarely use the roof ac when I dont have passengers in the rear jump seats. If you have 5 plus people in your Safari and you come from a very hot place you may need roof ac.

LX too comes with tubeless now.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 19:56   #29
BHPian
 
stefanm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Goa
Posts: 212
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi,

An off track question. When I went to the Tata Motors dealership in Jalandhar to take a test drive of Safari, I was denied the test drive on the premise that my license permits me to drive a 2 wheeler or a car only, while Safari is a LTV and hence requires a LTV valid license.

Is what the dealer saying true?
No the dealer is lying, my rc book states the car is a sedan! you only need a car licence, i took 3 test drives in Bombay before I moved to India, on my Uk licence. This guy was just being lazy in my opinion, i would have thought he would have welcomed the business, very bewildering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
Congrat guys !!! with your beasts.
I would like to know on following before i decide on finalising my vehicle.
In LX - How is the AC?is it powerful enough or a roof Ac is required as in EX.
Does the vehicle LX come with tubeless tyres?
I would like to get an EX with alloy wheels & ABS but the same is not available hence want to settle with LX as it is most economical of the lot.
Thanks
Kiren
Thanks dude, the ac works fine according to me, i don't use it much though, the climated since i have owned the car has been between 34 and 36c daily, i don't use the ac much though, good sun film helps alot, i have Gaware ice cool shield, abs helps a lot in wet/damp conditions and whilst i was in the Uk saved my life many times, but in my opinion in India we generaly don't drive as fast as abroad, due to narrow roads, people walking, animals etc... it's your call

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
congratulations to all the safari virgins here!!!

(i came off the same list when i completed 6 months and 10k kms!!! )

the cycus grey looks real good man... that was the colour i had booked before being d%^&#d around by the dealer here in delhi... finally took the black.

i'm assuming the fog lamp switch has been put in the little space on the left of the steering wheel where the 4x4 switch fits on the 4x4 models? thats where mine resides...

have fun with her, and believe me, the unpainted bumpers are one heck of a boon... as much as i like an all painted look, i'd die a million deaths with each scratch that the bumpers took in our chaotic traffic.

drive safe and drive sane cheers:
Thanks man, you're right about the switch, I had my heart set on having the bumpers painted, but here in Goa the roads are narrow and driving is also rash, especially taxi's and buses, more so at the moment during the season, also in Goa you are not king of the roads in a Safari, you soon learn to be patient(looking forward to driving out of state!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amip View Post
I recently bought a Cycus Grey Lx too - congrats Stefan - great buy!cheers:

Congrats dude, maybe time for an indipendant Tata Safari owners club.

The AC effectiveness depends on a couple of things
1) How warm is the climate where you live - Mumbai shouldn't be so bad
2) Are you regularly going to have people in the rear seat?

The AC is fine for the front seats even in true Hyderabadi heat - but life isin't so kind to the passengers at the back when temperatures are over 35 DegreesC
Maybe you're right, us guys in coastal area don't have such extremes in temperature as inland locations, for a max temp of maybe 36-38 the ac works good on the LX, inland 40+ could be pushing it for 5 passengers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
One thing I really like about the basic SAFARI is that the steel wheels themselves look like alloy wheels. Tough vehicles like the LAND ROVER DEFENDER come with steel wheels because they are the most tough ones. Alloys tend to crack under pressure (off-road pressure).

these are the best looking steel rims i have seen, almost negate the need for alloys.
Did everyone notice something, the old SAFARI used to come with dual headlights, the new one comes with a single headlight
Yep the headlight cluster looks different maybe the reflector is a little different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I rarely use the roof ac when I dont have passengers in the rear jump seats. If you have 5 plus people in your Safari and you come from a very hot place you may need roof ac.

LX too comes with tubeless now.
Yep officially tubless, all the essential things are there on the LX now, with recent price cuts exception value, alot of car for your money!

Update on the beast first full tank gave me 11.71kmpl, now after 1600km ang second refill 12.15 kmpl, this is with minimal ac maybe 10% but in what you couls call city driving 100% alot of stop start, engine on engine off type, not bad, i think if i was the sole driver i would be achieving 14+kmpl. Anyway the beast is behaving herself with no real issues.

Peace,

Stefan
stefanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 17:32   #30
BHPian
 
rrsteer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 144022
Posts: 940
Thanked: 893 Times
Default

Hello to Everyone from a cold cold Jalandhar.

The only bright spot : will be taking delivery of a new Arctic Silver Safari LX in a couple of days time

I had narrowed down my choice to a Safari LX or an Innova G1. I still dont know why I chose a Safari over an Innova, I guess the heart hath its reasons! (Well, the last car I drove was also a safari -the 90 BHP one, and I rather we abused it for over 3.5 lakh kms)

The discounts I managed for Safari was: cash discount of Rs 20K and the Tata Motors scratch card offer. The dealer was unwilling to part with a single paisa over and above this. According to the salesman they are selling about 2 Safaris everyday!

Interestingly, Toyota dealership is giving Rs 55k cash discount on Innova G1 + Rs 5k worth accessories, and the salesman gave healthy signals towards increasing the cash discount
rrsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cycus Grey Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 LX. EDIT : 6700 kms update VM1 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 22 6th April 2013 20:25
Booked my Toyota Innova G1 today (EDIT: Taken delivery now, Pics on page 2) prabhusati Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 86 11th September 2012 14:10
Dicor 2.2 VTT LX cycus grey Booked bruty Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 31 10th December 2007 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks