Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2008, 09:32   #31
BHPian
 
pras.oct25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 665
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
U planning to upgrade the tires and get alloys both or just the tires?
planning both... how much would tyres work out to?
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 09:39   #32
BHPian
 
pras.oct25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 665
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirajbose View Post
Pras - I have the exact same Verna and I too faced the pulling to the left issue - and IMHO - It does not have to do with the torque steer. Its an alingment problem which can be resolved by the Hyundai *** people.

Regarding the upgrade - again - You do not really need it at this point of time unless you have an excess of Vitamin M! . The tyres with the ABS version are of the 185 tread and is more than sufficient for the car. Just ensure that you have 33 PSI pressure on all four wheels and you will be just fine.

Regarding the bumper repainting, the Kun Hyundai guys at Ambattur are really good with it. Why don't you get it checked. And yes - you can get two different quotes - one - if you getting it doen through insurance and two - if you are paying for it yourself. The former is always expensive as it gives the *** an opportunity to get some extra bucks.

Regarding the headlight upgrade, ask at your Hyundai *** for options - that would be the safest bet and to my knowledge it should not void the warranty as well. I got mine changed from the dealership - however I am still unhappy with the visibility when it rains - however being in Chennai - that should not be too much of a problem.

i hope its just an alignment issue.. read somewhere ( prob on this site itself) about someone who had to have his verna replaced cause they werent able to resolve the issue. probably a random extreme case.
how much did u'r headlight upgrade cost at hyundai? if its upward of 1000 bucks i'll get it down outside. i anyway have my salesperson's word for the warranty not becoming void issue.
and do you think that if i do get the paint job done i can get it done outside as well? please give me a definite opinion. i'm not able to figure this out with everyone 'suggesting' stuff to me! i have decided that my only option is to repaint it. i dont want to go in for these solutions and stuff like that to remove scratches.
so wats the verdict?
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 17:28   #33
BHPian
 
pras.oct25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 665
Thanked: 7 Times
Default seat cover colour suggestions?

for those following this thread, verna colour = real earth ( refer snaps), interiors are wooden and beige(again refer snaps). can anyone suggest nice colour combos for seat covers that will go wit the interiors?
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 23:36   #34
BHPian
 
Path_Finder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 623
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
for those following this thread, verna colour = real earth ( refer snaps), interiors are wooden and beige(again refer snaps). can anyone suggest nice colour combos for seat covers that will go wit the interiors?
Check out burgundy with some dash of beige
Path_Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 10:14   #35
BHPian
 
pras.oct25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 665
Thanked: 7 Times
Default urgent!!

urgent!! gearbox feels a little notchy while shifting from 1st to 2nd and shifting down to 2nd from 3rd... shifting to 3rd 4th and 5th is extremely smooth... is it natural with new cars till initial service or do i have an issue? plannin to go to showroom this weekend to have alignment fixed... can someone gimme a reply before saturday???
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 11:49   #36
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 16
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hi Pras,
Sorry for the late reply.
I also feel a bit notchy in 1st to 2nd gear shift, i would suggest not to worry over it,rather have the Hyundai folks look at it when you go for alightment .Anyways make sure that they dont charge you for alignment, ask them to rectify the left hand side dragging rather than ask for alignment, all this stuff should have been come fixed from the factory. I suggest that you try to be with them when they do the stuff.

Btw for your scratch i dont suggest paint job now, painting the whole bumper can be costly . Why dont you try apply some wax polish like carnauba formula 1- it is very effective in removing paints residue from other vehicles which happens in scratches. From your scratch i think most of that greyish mark in middle portion might go off. I had a similar one i removed mostly using the wax polish.Anyways wax polishing is good for your car too .

Regarding upgrading tyres, since you have already run the tyres for sometime dont go for upgrade now as you wont get much value for used tyres. I would suggest to change the tyres and the steel rims to alloys after one year or later. Upgrading to 195/55 R15 with 15 inch alloys is good for handling according to me. There is slight reduction in side wall height from 120 mm to 107 mm when you go for this and so you might feel the road a bit more compared to the previous one but if it is a used tyre then the transition as far as comfort goes will be transparent. Also you would be using a company recommended config as you can see it listed in the driver side door scaffold so it should not affect warranty of other parts like suspension etc . I would suggest Aura alloys as it is Indian made and export quality and you have warranty also for the same.
HKumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 12:19   #37
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 886
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
urgent!! gearbox feels a little notchy while shifting from 1st to 2nd and shifting down to 2nd from 3rd... shifting to 3rd 4th and 5th is extremely smooth... is it natural with new cars till initial service or do i have an issue? plannin to go to showroom this weekend to have alignment fixed... can someone gimme a reply before saturday???
Yes , I too felt that gear is slightly coarse in shifting from 1st to 2nd or vice versa- specially when try to change in hurry.
But that feeling went off- try it- press the clutch fully, nudge the gear stalk to neutral and then nudge it to other gear - means its simply just guide the gear stalk/ lever in the right slot. its very smooth. Also try shifting from 1st to 3rd and from 3rd to fifth- there is not much instantaneous drop in performance if you are above 2000 rpm.
shatrughna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 13:48   #38
BHPian
 
pras.oct25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 665
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
Yes , I too felt that gear is slightly coarse in shifting from 1st to 2nd or vice versa- specially when try to change in hurry.
But that feeling went off- try it- press the clutch fully, nudge the gear stalk to neutral and then nudge it to other gear - means its simply just guide the gear stalk/ lever in the right slot. its very smooth. Also try shifting from 1st to 3rd and from 3rd to fifth- there is not much instantaneous drop in performance if you are above 2000 rpm.
yes i tend to keep doing that when i'm at a signal to see if it really is easy or not. but whats the point of it being easy to shift only when you guide it through properly whie being conscious about it? i mean the ease of driving a car should mean that when your shifting gears in a hurry and without being conscious it should be easy to do right?? well anyway i'll take your point on it and try to shift "correctly"...
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 13:53   #39
BHPian
 
pras.oct25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 665
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKumar View Post
Hi Pras,
Sorry for the late reply.
I also feel a bit notchy in 1st to 2nd gear shift, i would suggest not to worry over it,rather have the Hyundai folks look at it when you go for alightment .Anyways make sure that they dont charge you for alignment, ask them to rectify the left hand side dragging rather than ask for alignment, all this stuff should have been come fixed from the factory. I suggest that you try to be with them when they do the stuff.

Btw for your scratch i dont suggest paint job now, painting the whole bumper can be costly . Why dont you try apply some wax polish like carnauba formula 1- it is very effective in removing paints residue from other vehicles which happens in scratches. From your scratch i think most of that greyish mark in middle portion might go off. I had a similar one i removed mostly using the wax polish.Anyways wax polishing is good for your car too .

Regarding upgrading tyres, since you have already run the tyres for sometime dont go for upgrade now as you wont get much value for used tyres. I would suggest to change the tyres and the steel rims to alloys after one year or later. Upgrading to 195/55 R15 with 15 inch alloys is good for handling according to me. There is slight reduction in side wall height from 120 mm to 107 mm when you go for this and so you might feel the road a bit more compared to the previous one but if it is a used tyre then the transition as far as comfort goes will be transparent. Also you would be using a company recommended config as you can see it listed in the driver side door scaffold so it should not affect warranty of other parts like suspension etc . I would suggest Aura alloys as it is Indian made and export quality and you have warranty also for the same.

HKumar, thanks for a great reply! ive been waiting for it from someone for a while know. yes i get your point on the alloys and tryes. plus its not in my budget for now anyway so i will wear the present lot out first before thinking. though on bumpy indian roads i dunno if i want to take the risk of 15" alloys cause i'm sure i'll be feeling the roads all over the place and the verna has soft suspension on top of that.
ive spoken to a accessories shop next to my house. hes offering to do seats "challenger" brand. hes recommending it over gsport which iss 7k above and not in my budget. he said the fitting is very good companred to autocam n all that. thinking that i will go ahead n get it done.
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 20:25   #40
BHPian
 
pras.oct25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 665
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

went down to HMP today to get a quote on the bumper repainting and have the alignment issue checked. the chap took her for a test drive and did agree that the car was veering to the left wit out control. he claims that the it is not the original manufacturing defect that older vernas faced and that it must only be an alignment issue. Even otherwise he said it'll take a good 2 or 3 hours to determine the cause, iron it out and take it for a test drive again to make sure its fine. so he recommended i get it done when i go for service next month.
And my biggest shock of the day. I was told during purchase that for service there is a pick up and drop service from home and that i will not have to move a muscle, everything will be taken care of by hyundai itself. Today that lady coolly tells me that they have driver shortage, and that mostly I will have to come and leave the car, and pick it up myself for service dont know if this is what everyone does? can someone gimme a heads up on this? is this the general service scene not just at hyundai but other dealers as well, or should i demand pick up and drop service for my car as they had promised me during booking?
the second gear shifting issue was also checked up on, and he has promised to take care of that during 1st service as well, and claims that its no big deal
Oh and one more thing. asked them about headlamp upgrade. hyundai claims that as per government rules they are not allowed to fix anything more then 65w bulbs in any of the cars that they sell. he claims that i have to do a headlamp upgrade outside, which will void the warranty of the head lamps with immediate effect. is this even a valid point? he also claimed that by upgrading the headlamps to higher wattage i may face battery drainage issues. i didnt know where to go bang my head!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please take the time to use proper punctuation and caps wherever necessary as per Team-BHP rules.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th November 2008 at 20:42.
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 15:18   #41
BHPian
 
pras.oct25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 665
Thanked: 7 Times
Default no answers??

Hey guys!
Seems like my thread got lost in the million other posts in this forum.
Can anyone take some time out to answer my queries from my previous post. Would be appreciated!
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 15:39   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
ImmortalZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 139 Times
Default

They have a right to void warranty on your headlamps. After all, you are tampering with their system using an outsider to modify it out of spec. Some dealers do tolerate this though. If you use the lamps with the engine running, there should be no problem with battery drain. Car batteries hold more charge than you think.

Make sure you install a relay when you switch to a high wattage bulb so you do not strain the electrical systems. Also make sure you do not cut or in any way modify the original wiring - they'll use that as an excuse to void warranty on the entire electrical system (which includes incredibly expensive stuff like the ECU). Any good installer can do this properly.

Regarding your other issues, you'll have to wait for a Verna owner to chime in.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 20th November 2008 at 15:41.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 16:40   #43
BHPian
 
pras.oct25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 665
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
They have a right to void warranty on your headlamps. After all, you are tampering with their system using an outsider to modify it out of spec. Some dealers do tolerate this though. If you use the lamps with the engine running, there should be no problem with battery drain. Car batteries hold more charge than you think.

Make sure you install a relay when you switch to a high wattage bulb so you do not strain the electrical systems. Also make sure you do not cut or in any way modify the original wiring - they'll use that as an excuse to void warranty on the entire electrical system (which includes incredibly expensive stuff like the ECU). Any good installer can do this properly.

Regarding your other issues, you'll have to wait for a Verna owner to chime in.
Yeah I will make sure that they do install the relay set as well. How do i make sure that the person installing the lighting system doesnt screw up the wiring system?
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 19:49   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
hellstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
They have a right to void warranty on your headlamps. After all, you are tampering with their system using an outsider to modify it out of spec. Some dealers do tolerate this though. If you use the lamps with the engine running, there should be no problem with battery drain. Car batteries hold more charge than you think.

Make sure you install a relay when you switch to a high wattage bulb so you do not strain the electrical systems. Also make sure you do not cut or in any way modify the original wiring - they'll use that as an excuse to void warranty on the entire electrical system (which includes incredibly expensive stuff like the ECU). Any good installer can do this properly.

Regarding your other issues, you'll have to wait for a Verna owner to chime in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
went down to HMP today to get a quote on the bumper repainting and have the alignment issue checked. the chap took her for a test drive and did agree that the car was veering to the left wit out control. he claims that the it is not the original manufacturing defect that older vernas faced and that it must only be an alignment issue. Even otherwise he said it'll take a good 2 or 3 hours to determine the cause, iron it out and take it for a test drive again to make sure its fine. so he recommended i get it done when i go for service next month.
And my biggest shock of the day. I was told during purchase that for service there is a pick up and drop service from home and that i will not have to move a muscle, everything will be taken care of by hyundai itself. Today that lady coolly tells me that they have driver shortage, and that mostly I will have to come and leave the car, and pick it up myself for service dont know if this is what everyone does? can someone gimme a heads up on this? is this the general service scene not just at hyundai but other dealers as well, or should i demand pick up and drop service for my car as they had promised me during booking?
the second gear shifting issue was also checked up on, and he has promised to take care of that during 1st service as well, and claims that its no big deal
Oh and one more thing. asked them about headlamp upgrade. hyundai claims that as per government rules they are not allowed to fix anything more then 65w bulbs in any of the cars that they sell. he claims that i have to do a headlamp upgrade outside, which will void the warranty of the head lamps with immediate effect. is this even a valid point? he also claimed that by upgrading the headlamps to higher wattage i may face battery drainage issues. i didnt know where to go bang my head!
Yep rules are rules and no manufacturer can fit bulbs more than 65W as OEM , actually the 100/90W and the 130w/110w bulbs are specifically for rally condition and not for general road use . But as of now the cops cant detect this unless your headlight focussing is so badly screwed up and blinding on coming traffic. When you upgrade go to a reputed dealer and get him to use the Bosch Standard wiring kit and relay which comes for the headlamp upgrade, also enusre that you are changing the holders to ceramic or else they may not with stand the immense heat generated and may melt.

About the gear shift issue i belive it is a common issue which they are working on and will easily get rectified on your next visit to the service centre.

tell your contact at the service centre that the Verna CRDI has a 60 Ah battery and a 80 Amp Alternator which is more than enough for your to run a 130W/110W headlamp upgrade without worrying about battery drain issues. I installed 130/110W headlamps on the first day of my car and my car is still on the OEM battery after 48000 KMS and almost two years and majority of these KMs accumulated in the night time.

About headlamp upgrade voiding your warranty all depends on your rapport with the dealer i have seens santros with engine mods being given ecu replacements under warranty and stuff like that .

About the scratches check out non hyundai service cntres which have painting booths , dont worry about the colour matching, its taken care of by a computer now a days and rarely gets screwd up on the matching but the expertise of the painter and the availalitiy of a dust free paint booth will affect the level of finish that will be attained.

Do drive safe and enjoy you have a nice car with you ...
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 20:37   #45
BHPian
 
pras.oct25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 665
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
Yep rules are rules and no manufacturer can fit bulbs more than 65W as OEM , actually the 100/90W and the 130w/110w bulbs are specifically for rally condition and not for general road use . But as of now the cops cant detect this unless your headlight focussing is so badly screwed up and blinding on coming traffic. When you upgrade go to a reputed dealer and get him to use the Bosch Standard wiring kit and relay which comes for the headlamp upgrade, also enusre that you are changing the holders to ceramic or else they may not with stand the immense heat generated and may melt.

About the gear shift issue i belive it is a common issue which they are working on and will easily get rectified on your next visit to the service centre.

tell your contact at the service centre that the Verna CRDI has a 60 Ah battery and a 80 Amp Alternator which is more than enough for your to run a 130W/110W headlamp upgrade without worrying about battery drain issues. I installed 130/110W headlamps on the first day of my car and my car is still on the OEM battery after 48000 KMS and almost two years and majority of these KMs accumulated in the night time.

About headlamp upgrade voiding your warranty all depends on your rapport with the dealer i have seens santros with engine mods being given ecu replacements under warranty and stuff like that .

About the scratches check out non hyundai service cntres which have painting booths , dont worry about the colour matching, its taken care of by a computer now a days and rarely gets screwd up on the matching but the expertise of the painter and the availalitiy of a dust free paint booth will affect the level of finish that will be attained.

Do drive safe and enjoy you have a nice car with you ...
Hellstar thanks for a neat reply, and yes its a great car that I'm loving!
I am planning to place my order this weekend for new seat covers, flooring and steering cover at a neat shop near my house. It was recommended by someone on the accessories thread and the shop owner has agreed to install philips 100/90w headlamps for me with the complete set for 950 bucks. He basically undertakes all accessories & modification stuff and since the shop was recommended by team-bhp members I bravely decided to go ahead and get everything done. Now considering what your saying about the warranty stuff and all that, do you think i can rely on this chap? I mean upgrading headlamps is something that almost everyone does. So is it such a big deal?
Also, at the time of purchase I didnt go in for the extended warranty, cause the salesperson said I can even get it done later by paying. What is the time period within which I need to apply for the extended warranty offer? I wantd to go in for the warranty thing, but my uncle(who recently bought a fiesta) told me not to go for it immediatley but to wait a few months. I took his advice then but dont want to regret it. Any advice?
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15 predatorwheelz Long-Term Ownership Reviews 248 12th September 2016 08:23
Ford Fiesta Diesel Zxi Vs Hyundai Verna Crdi Sxi ABS aks_karthik Sedans 146 7th July 2011 10:52
Hyundai Verna CRDI (SXI) with ABS rippergeo Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 143 6th September 2009 17:58
My Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS Review sdmn Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 11 17th March 2009 21:55
My view on Verna CRDi+ABS coming soon. EDIT : Advait Hyundai backs out of commitment sajands Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 118 29th May 2008 15:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks