Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2008, 21:23   #1
BHPian
 
pras.oct25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 665
Thanked: 7 Times
Thumbs up My Hyundai Verna Crdi SX with ABS

Hi Everyone,
I bought a Hyundai Verna SX Diesel with ABS on the 14th of October 2008. Its just been 2 weeks since i got the car and haven't clocked too many kms yet in it. Nevertheless, finally i get to write a review on team bhp after reading so much on this site while deciding which car to finalize.
I had decided on a diesel car right from the beginning. But after slowly ruling out all the small car variants, I finally settled down on either the Verna diesel or the Ford Fiesta diesel SXI.
I found my uncles fiesta very impressive, but the car was a little rigid and quite large in terms of the body structure, and I wasn't very comfortable driving it. Plus the expensive maintenance and service meant that I ruled it out.
I had my eyes on the Verna Diesel for a long time and once I test drove both the petrol and diesel variants I immediately fell in love with the diesel. The petrol lacked power and was no fun. It felt like any other random car. The x-factor was really lacking. While I test drove it from DSC motors Chennai, I eventually ended up completing the purchasing procedure at Hyundai Motor Plaza, Chennai. The salesperson Venkat, was absolutely brilliant through out and his services were impeccable. He was quite honest with any issues the car may have and gave a complete run through of all details regarding maintenance, service etc. I would recommend HMP to all people in Chennai.
Now coming to the car. I had the unfortunate luck of having some idiot on a Pulsar scratch the front left part of the bumper when I had parked the car near a shop just on the 4th day. I was quite livid with the way people drive/ride around here. People's complete ignorance towards basic road discipline and rules makes me want to run my car over myself.

The mileage so far seems to be around 13 or 14km or so. Not judged very correctly but it is approximate for the short time Ive had the car. There is no noise what so ever from the diesel engine. Once inside with the windows closed and the ac on, you are completely isolated from the outside noise. The ac is fantastic and will chill you to your bones at its lowest temperature. The climate control system is also very effective for a comfy drive at the end of a tiring day. Adjustable steering and driver seat height are useful for shorter people like me. The car is perfectly crafted to make driving both forward and in reverse easy unlike in cars such as the SX4 where reversing was a nightmare during the test drive. The steering is not too light and not heavy as in the fiesta. The car is quite responsive in turns. Many people talked about understeer, but so far i find handling it a breeze.
As many people mentioned, the power and acceleration of the 110 bhp engine is quite addictive, although 2nd gear pickup is a little poor and the turbo charger kicks in only around 2000rpm. But this ensures that in traffic you don't keep zooming off, and that you don’t lag behind on an empty road. Quite a brilliant balance! The turbo charger does mean that from 3rd gear onwards the car surges forward even if you remove your foot from the throttle and this is an amazing feeling. Its almost as if the car has a life of its own and doesn't want to be held back. The gear transitions are relatively smooth, but somehow don't seem to be as great as when I test drove it. The stick needs to be handled delicately and gear shifts need to be done quickly once the clutch is engaged to allow a smooth shift. Hoping that it gels in better with greater use.
The interiors are spacious though slightly bland, but not something that should deter people from buying the car. The light colour of the interior is conducive to dirt marks and should be maintained by cleansing regularly.
The kenwood sound system supports a rear end aux jack which I fitted in for rs 150/- and also plays cd and audio cassette and comes with a remote. It is more then sufficient and the speakers are very effective.
Suspension is decent, though it could help to perhaps have it tinkered with a bit during service. Overall ride quality is pleasurable. The one issue that I have found is that the car does veer to the left noticeably at speeds from 35km/h onwards. I thought that HMIL would have ironed out this problem already but clearly that is not the case. The wheels also can be upgraded to a bigger dimension (probably alloy wheels) after the present ones wear out for greater stability. The ABS system is brilliant and is a real necessity because this car really takes off, and with the way people behave on roads it'll be a reassuring safety factor since there are no airbags available on any of the models.
The only other disappointing factor was that the HMIL does not provide enough free accessories with the car despite its high pricing. At least a free car cover should have been provided along with the free floor mats and the mud flaps (+ a key chain and a clock/photo frame). I had to pay separately for the sun film as well which was deducted directly from the 20000 discount I got. The monstrosity that is its engine is the one thing that makes the verna worth the extra couple of lakhs over its competitors. The stock headlamps need to be upgraded as they are terrible for night driving. It shouldn't be too much of an investment. Philips headlamps at 100/90w come for around 900 bucks.
Overall experience with the car so far has been amazing. The dealership has made the experience all the more enjoyable for me. Hoping that the car will provide a good mileage and maintenance will not be too expensive.

Before signing off, a few things i would like to know from hyundai verna owners:
1) What is the issue with the car veering to the left? how can it be fixed? I haven't been able to gather much from past threads.
2) Can anyone give me an approximate amount they spend on maintenance for the car.
3) Should I have the bumper repainted? If he offers to repaint the whole bumper should I agree or only have the scratched part painted? What are the issues i may face with this repainting process in the future?
Replies to my queries would be greatly appreciated.

A few suggestions
1) Avoid buying seat covers and other accessories at the dealership. They are priced much higher. There are plenty of car accessories shops with better variety and lower prices where the technicians will do an excellent job.
2) Feel free to take a longer test drive to get a complete idea of the car, and pester the sales person regarding all the features in the car, any issues that it may have, and potential maintenance/service related issues. If there are petrol and diesel variants available make it a point to drive both. As proven by the Verna, the diesel model is light years ahead of its petrol variant.
3)Maintain a good repertoire with the sales person because they can be contacted for any queries you may have. I found that the chaps at HMP were more then friendly, responsible and prompt.
Thanks to all you car lovers out there. Your inputs on this great site were very valuable. Remember that you invest a lotta time and money in buying a car. Don’t mess it all up by becoming rash like many other people on the road. Happy and SAFE driving!! Cheers!
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 23:46   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,675
Thanked: 1,427 Times
Default

Congratulation!
Seems that the diesel torque impressed you more.
IMO, avoid fitting in the Philips bulbs as this can void your warranty and also if you are planning to change rims and tyres, then make sure that OD is not affected.
I would suggest that if the car is going to be used for long distance high speed stints on highway, then its better to upgrade the tyres at this stage. Before fitting in or changing anything, consult the dealer.
My friend's santro Xing's warranty got void because he bought Philips Blue Vision bulbs and fixed them in his car.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 23:57   #3
BHPian
 
white_vdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: new delhi
Posts: 842
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

try philips xtreme power or osram nightbreaker. they are worth every penny. also they are of the same wattage as stock bulbs so no problem with warranty.
what color is your car? if the scratches arent much then let it be.
white_vdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 00:13   #4
BHPian
 
pras.oct25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 665
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Congratulation!
Seems that the diesel torque impressed you more.
IMO, avoid fitting in the Philips bulbs as this can void your warranty and also if you are planning to change rims and tyres, then make sure that OD is not affected.
I would suggest that if the car is going to be used for long distance high speed stints on highway, then its better to upgrade the tyres at this stage. Before fitting in or changing anything, consult the dealer.
My friend's santro Xing's warranty got void because he bought Philips Blue Vision bulbs and fixed them in his car.
This is the first time that i'm hearing about warranty going void for fitting in headlamps... but thanks for the heads up... i will find out about this from the dealership... i cant afford alloy wheel upgrade for another 4 to 6 months... so will think about it then...
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 00:16   #5
BHPian
 
pras.oct25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 665
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
try philips xtreme power or osram nightbreaker. they are worth every penny. also they are of the same wattage as stock bulbs so no problem with warranty.
what color is your car? if the scratches arent much then let it be.
i have the real earth colour... i had wanted black as the second option cause they had stopped the dark metallic blue production but my dad was against it. Oh its a pretty big gash on the front bumper... no dent but its very much visible n a real blemish on a brand new car... i find it to be a bit of an eye sore.. i want to get it done during the first service... should i have the whole bumper repainted??
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 00:50   #6
BHPian
 
white_vdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: new delhi
Posts: 842
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

i tried verna vgt before buying a swift diesel (budget constraints). and that metallic blue really suits the verna i preferred that only.
regarding your bumper, if its really that big then u will have to get the entire bumper painted. you cant paint a part of the bumper as such. its usually the entire piece thats painted.
and as far as that being an eyesore is concerned. when you know about it, it will be the first thing that catches your attention. others might not even notice it. its the same with me. get an estimate of getting the bumper painted and see if you want to spend that much on it or not.
white_vdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 07:55   #7
BHPian
 
pras.oct25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 665
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
i tried verna vgt before buying a swift diesel (budget constraints). and that metallic blue really suits the verna i preferred that only.
regarding your bumper, if its really that big then u will have to get the entire bumper painted. you cant paint a part of the bumper as such. its usually the entire piece thats painted.
and as far as that being an eyesore is concerned. when you know about it, it will be the first thing that catches your attention. others might not even notice it. its the same with me. get an estimate of getting the bumper painted and see if you want to spend that much on it or not.
Thanks for the info! my uncle had a million scratches and dents on his fiesta, many of them because he kept making mistakes while parking. He spent quite a bit on them. I believe hyundai related expenditure is much lesser compared to ford. So i will find out during 1st service. BTW, any idea about the car veering to the left? is it an alignment problem or somethign to do with the axle or camber?
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 10:35   #8
BHPian
 
madhokritesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Thane
Posts: 334
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Congrats dude and now plz upload some pics .
madhokritesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 11:03   #9
BHPian
 
pras.oct25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 665
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhokritesh View Post
Congrats dude and now plz upload some pics .
hey! thanks! yeah thats been on my mind.. but when the work place gives a diwali holiday and then makes you compensate for it on a saturday time is hard to come by! i will do it tomorrow for sure...
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 11:06   #10
BHPian
 
pras.oct25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 665
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

still havent received any tips from anyone about the alignment problem.... a word anyone?
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 13:36   #11
BHPian
 
Path_Finder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 623
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Pras, Congrats on your new car. Wish you many miles of safe and happy driving!

Yeah! It is better not to take seat covers etc. from the dealer as you said. But for things that might affect warranty like electricals, it may be better to do with the authorized dealer even if it costs a bit more. Earlier I had got the HL of my Zen changed to 100/90 with relays with MASS. And recently got the HL of Cedia changed by Mitsubishi service guys to Philips Xtreme-Power. So in a way you get them not to say anything about warranty and as long as you keep the proof (bill) of the work they have done, your warranty is covered. You can even explore option of buying the bulbs outside, but get it fixed by the authorized guys.

On the scratch: sorry to hear about this. Did you try any scratch removers? If it is deep and beyond that of scratch removers, then get the whole bumper repainted – the paint shop guys will suggest on seeing it – part touchup will stand out odd. It is painful to have a new car running with scratches, so do not bother too much of the cost, just get it done at the earliest. Repaint will take 2 days, so time it right as per your convenience rather than try combing it first service, which is just a half day affair.

Not sure of the alignment problem – better get it checked.
Path_Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 14:11   #12
BHPian
 
pras.oct25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 665
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
Pras, Congrats on your new car. Wish you many miles of safe and happy driving!

Yeah! It is better not to take seat covers etc. from the dealer as you said. But for things that might affect warranty like electricals, it may be better to do with the authorized dealer even if it costs a bit more. Earlier I had got the HL of my Zen changed to 100/90 with relays with MASS. And recently got the HL of Cedia changed by Mitsubishi service guys to Philips Xtreme-Power. So in a way you get them not to say anything about warranty and as long as you keep the proof (bill) of the work they have done, your warranty is covered. You can even explore option of buying the bulbs outside, but get it fixed by the authorized guys.

On the scratch: sorry to hear about this. Did you try any scratch removers? If it is deep and beyond that of scratch removers, then get the whole bumper repainted – the paint shop guys will suggest on seeing it – part touchup will stand out odd. It is painful to have a new car running with scratches, so do not bother too much of the cost, just get it done at the earliest. Repaint will take 2 days, so time it right as per your convenience rather than try combing it first service, which is just a half day affair.

Not sure of the alignment problem – better get it checked.
Hey pathfinder.. thanks for an informative reply. i spoke to my salesperson. He said that the headlamps replacement will not affect warranty and i can go ahead and get it done outside. But I will consider your suggestion regarding this issue as well.
No I havent tried any removers. It certainly looks like its gonna need a repainting. its pretty big and runs along the entire side and front of the left of the front bumper under the HL. He also suggested calling up some section of the hyundai showroom which deals with these accident and insurance issues. I have to refer my manual for the number. I will talk to them and get a quote on the repair price and decide accordingly.
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 14:33   #13
BHPian
 
pras.oct25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 665
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

pathfinder, following on from the previous reply, i spoke to the accident and insurance claim section at hyundai. he says 4000 for bumper repainting (which seems slightly upward) and 7500 for bumper replacement. i havent even received my RC book yet. i'm not sure if ill be able to claim insurance for it at this point. what is your take on it?
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 14:35   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 16
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Pras,
Congrats on the car,
I have a verna CRDI SX ABS 3 months old Real earth color, driven 4.5k kms and with 195/55 R15 Yokohoma S Drives

Regarding steering to left is usually an alignment problem since it is a new car, you could get it rectified by doing alignment . If you are not happy with Hyundai dealers alighment check out which is the best alignment shop in your area . I also felt steering to left only when i left the steering wheel and that too i think it was on a road slopping towards the left, but still i went for alighment repeatedly( Hyundai *** was very patient ). When i checked on a leveled ground i can see that car goes straight and when on roads with slope even the slightest, if leave the steering wheel it goes left or right according to slope which it will anyway happen.

If you are talking about the car steering to left or right on very sudden acceleration it is due to the torque steer and you have to learn to accelerate to accomodate torque steering by proper initial acceleration, though for me torque steering was not at all an issue and became visible only once when i carelessly accelerated fully and suddenly on 2nd after adding petes box which increased the power/torque. But now i got adjusted to the cars awesome power with petes or rather car got adjusted to my driving style .

Regarding the bulbs , i changed it to 130/100 and added relay , i think just changng the bulb alone will not affect warranty if it is of same watts, but when you upgrade the bulbs you have to put proper relay and ceramic holders and this voids the warranty and that too i think only of the electrical system ( you should cross verify this with dealer). If you are properly getting it done via a good auto electrician( only go via recommendations from persons you trust), maybe you can getaway with it voiding the electric system warranty depending on your relation ship with the dealer. Do you know if the SX ABS has headlight on warning reminder- if it is there i think it might not work of you add the relay which takes a seperate connection from the fuse box.

For the small to medium scratches that you would want to hide for sometime before you go for a final paint job you could try out compaint spray which can be purchased from their website. compaint.com or something. Search for threads on compaint on team-bhp itself. Compaint have real earth color for verna, but the smoothness and the color wont match ditto but it will definetely hide the scratches to a hight extent and you will have to learn to use it properly. The best thing is that i was able to remove the spray touch up i initially did using the merger supplied along with it,because i was not satisfied with the result after one day also. I tried once more and it was a bit more ok. Good value for money which is around 350 rs.
HKumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 16:58   #15
BHPian
 
pras.oct25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 665
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKumar View Post
Pras,
Congrats on the car,
I have a verna CRDI SX ABS 3 months old Real earth color, driven 4.5k kms and with 195/55 R15 Yokohoma S Drives

Regarding steering to left is usually an alignment problem since it is a new car, you could get it rectified by doing alignment . If you are not happy with Hyundai dealers alighment check out which is the best alignment shop in your area . I also felt steering to left only when i left the steering wheel and that too i think it was on a road slopping towards the left, but still i went for alighment repeatedly( Hyundai *** was very patient ). When i checked on a leveled ground i can see that car goes straight and when on roads with slope even the slightest, if leave the steering wheel it goes left or right according to slope which it will anyway happen.

If you are talking about the car steering to left or right on very sudden acceleration it is due to the torque steer and you have to learn to accelerate to accomodate torque steering by proper initial acceleration, though for me torque steering was not at all an issue and became visible only once when i carelessly accelerated fully and suddenly on 2nd after adding petes box which increased the power/torque. But now i got adjusted to the cars awesome power with petes or rather car got adjusted to my driving style .

Regarding the bulbs , i changed it to 130/100 and added relay , i think just changng the bulb alone will not affect warranty if it is of same watts, but when you upgrade the bulbs you have to put proper relay and ceramic holders and this voids the warranty and that too i think only of the electrical system ( you should cross verify this with dealer). If you are properly getting it done via a good auto electrician( only go via recommendations from persons you trust), maybe you can getaway with it voiding the electric system warranty depending on your relation ship with the dealer. Do you know if the SX ABS has headlight on warning reminder- if it is there i think it might not work of you add the relay which takes a seperate connection from the fuse box.

For the small to medium scratches that you would want to hide for sometime before you go for a final paint job you could try out compaint spray which can be purchased from their website. compaint.com or something. Search for threads on compaint on team-bhp itself. Compaint have real earth color for verna, but the smoothness and the color wont match ditto but it will definetely hide the scratches to a hight extent and you will have to learn to use it properly. The best thing is that i was able to remove the spray touch up i initially did using the merger supplied along with it,because i was not satisfied with the result after one day also. I tried once more and it was a bit more ok. Good value for money which is around 350 rs.
Hi Hkumar! thanks for a very long n patient reply... that was an interesting take on the car veering. I understand what you mean by the torque steer. The car does generate massive amounts of torque with its sudden acceleration beyond 2k rpm after being slightly sluggish immediately. I will have the alignment checked up once just in case after i experiment on flatter roads
I dont think that there is any headlight warning light so upgrading to new headlamps shouldnt be an issue. Though isnt 130/100 a little on the higher side, or do you do lots of highway driving? 100/90w are available too isnt it? i think that should be sufficient.
I plan to take the car down to the showroom next week and get the scratch checked up. I will assess my situation after that. I dont feel comfy doing temporary spray jobs and stuff on it. It keeps playing on the back of my mind that the car is not in a perfect condition.
Do you have any snaps of your car with alloy wheels? You have R15 wheels. are R14 sufficient. wat are the adv/disadvantages bw R15 and R14 (mileage, cost, stability etc). Please enlighten me about thse.
Also can you recommend a not to expensive alloy wheel upgrade that willa lso look good on the real earth colour verna ('im sure uve done a lotta research on it).
Also, how are you finding gear shifting from your initial delivery of the car to the situation now after 4 months? I find shifts from 1st to 2nd gear at times a little stiff, or is that natural? This is my first car, forgive me for all the doubts i'm getting. I hope to learn more! Hope to get a nice replyfrom you again.Thanks in advance!
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15 predatorwheelz Long-Term Ownership Reviews 248 12th September 2016 08:23
Ford Fiesta Diesel Zxi Vs Hyundai Verna Crdi Sxi ABS aks_karthik Sedans 146 7th July 2011 10:52
Hyundai Verna CRDI (SXI) with ABS rippergeo Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 143 6th September 2009 17:58
My Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS Review sdmn Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 11 17th March 2009 21:55
My view on Verna CRDi+ABS coming soon. EDIT : Advait Hyundai backs out of commitment sajands Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 118 29th May 2008 15:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:18.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks