Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 24th November 2008, 00:54   #61
BHPian

Hi autoenthusiast the scratches were very deep all over the bonnet and the left side panel so had to get it repainted .
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2008, 20:59   #62
BHPian

Guys, I showed my car to couple of chaps, they all said that since it's a deep scratch and penetrated to the metal it would need to get repainted.

Contacted the Planet Ford dealer today and showed the vehicle to him, he claims that I'd need to paint the front door, rear door and the back side of the vehicle. I asked him about the colour matching and whether I would get a similar factory finish and the guy told me that they are one of the few Ford dealers in Inida who have a Ford style paint unit and that there will be no difference once they are done with the vehicle.

Has anyone got their vehicle repainted and got a similar finish ?
autoenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2008, 22:07   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
Guys, I showed my car to couple of chaps, they all said that since it's a deep scratch and penetrated to the metal it would need to get repainted.

Contacted the Planet Ford dealer today and showed the vehicle to him, he claims that I'd need to paint the front door, rear door and the back side of the vehicle. I asked him about the colour matching and whether I would get a similar factory finish and the guy told me that they are one of the few Ford dealers in Inida who have a Ford style paint unit and that there will be no difference once they are done with the vehicle.

Auto, be happy they didnt tell you to change the doors itself. My uncle is notorious when it comes to getting small dents and scratches when parking his fiesta and the ford chaps were bugging him to have the whole door replaced which he refused to do.
Since yours is a new car I suggest you get it done at the dealer itself instead of risking it outside and later regretting it and spending more money rectifying it again. These days all repainting work is done properly and all dealrs have the exact factory paint. If your dealer is not the company showroom itself, then you can take your car to the company showroom which will guarantee you an even beter finish(though possibly higher cost). My verna got a rather big graze (3rd day after delivery) on the front bumper courtesy some idiot on a bike. I still havent got it painted but at the dealer its 4k for repainting the entire bumper. So even if the price quote is a little upward get it done. Make a choice about whether you want to use your insurance for it because you will lose out on your no claim bonus as well.
I can imagine what an unfortunate situation you must be finding yourself in and i sympathise with you. Make the right choice and remember that even though these things are not in your hand, try to be as responsible as possible in the future to avoid mistakes from your side as well.
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 00:44   #64
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Autoenthusiast, dont take risk and get the scratch painted only at the dealer. You might pay more than garages but it will be peace of mind. One of my friends has a bitter experience with painting his ORVM and he still regrets it.
Meer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 09:11   #65
Team-BHP Support

Glen, get the painting done from the dealer. They can guarantee you color matching, as well as factory finish. How do i know? Ask me!
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 09:38   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Glen, get the painting done from the dealer. They can guarantee you color matching, as well as factory finish. How do i know? Ask me!
Hey Ben, thanks mate. Did you repaint your vehicle with the dealer ? and if so you got the same finish as a factory finish ? I wonder if they follow all the same process of multiple layers and a clear coat on top.
Old 26th November 2008, 10:06   #67
Senior - BHPian

sad to hear about the scratch, better check with someone about the painting capability of your car dealer.

OT: there was one guy who used to damage my shogun turn indicators in the night, and I was sure about the person who did it but never asked/argued him.But when it happened 3-4 times I really got angry kicked and broke his passion tail lamp in to pieces.
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 10:55   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey Ben, thanks mate. Did you repaint your vehicle with the dealer ? and if so you got the same finish as a factory finish ? I wonder if they follow all the same process of multiple layers and a clear coat on top.
I had gotten a door and fender repainted following an accident to my car, along with repainting of the front bumper. Trust me, you wouldnt know the difference.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 12:25   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
sad to hear about the scratch, better check with someone about the painting capability of your car dealer.
Thanks Latheesh, shall ask around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I had gotten a door and fender repainted following an accident to my car, along with repainting of the front bumper. Trust me, you wouldnt know the difference.
Thanks Ben, that was reassuring.
Old 26th November 2008, 13:18   #70
Senior - BHPian

I've got the rear left door painted twice, and the left front door once, and the left rear fender once so for due to idiot bikers and autos. I've claimed insurance on both occassions.
Mody Ford has done a splendid job. You can't tell the difference. To be on the safe side, tell them that the paint should not spill into the door beadings, lest you have a problem in the future if you want to sell the car---the buyer will come to know that a paint job was done. Tell them to make sure the alloys don't get taints of paint also.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 17:21   #71
BHPian

Are you going to claim insurance for this, Else what about the cost at the dealer, when i enquired they quoted 10K for a similar scratch on my boot.
sathee46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 21:43   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathee46 View Post
Are you going to claim insurance for this, Else what about the cost at the dealer, when i enquired they quoted 10K for a similar scratch on my boot.
Well I have a 50% NCB that I transferred from my previous vehicle, but I honestly feel that it's not worth paying from my own pocket. Who knows I might spend a substantial packet now to save the NCB and tomorrow might need to claim insurance for something else. On m earlier vehicle I used to pay from my own pocket for minor touch ups, but this time I definitely don't expect it to be cheap so would claim insurance mate.
Old 28th November 2008, 19:31   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Well I have a 50% NCB that I transferred from my previous vehicle, but I honestly feel that it's not worth paying from my own pocket. Who knows I might spend a substantial packet now to save the NCB and tomorrow might need to claim insurance for something else. On m earlier vehicle I used to pay from my own pocket for minor touch ups, but this time I definitely don't expect it to be cheap so would claim insurance mate.
It is not wise to pay from own pocket to try claim NCB next year. You are in the beginning of your insurance cycle and are more likely to have further claims in next 11 months. It makes sense to consider paying on own only if the year is almost over.
Path_Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 06:30   #74
BHPian

Guys, for an update on the 1.6S, I drove interstate over the weekend a distance of 550km, It's a route I used take often over the GQ (320km over the GQ and then 130Km outside this route), the 1.6S handling is awesome at high speeds, actually unbelievable, the car clings to the road like a magnet. The ghats section is pretty good, I found that it steers pretty well and doesn't tilt much which actually allows you to take turns at a higher speed and the steering is very confidence inspiring.
On the GQ I frequently touched 140kmph and the vehicle was dead stable and felt like bare cruising speed with the engine hardly straining (if I remember correctly RPM was around 4000), a slight tap on the throttle and 160 appears in no time at approx 4500 - 4900 rpm, still approx 2000 rpm leeway left, the car also feels well planted on the road at these speeds. Well 160 was the max I tried, also the steering weighed up well and didn't feel light (I do feel the fiesta has a slightly heavy steering, especially in the 1.6S due to the larger tyres).
All in all, the vehicle was a blast for a long distance highway drive.
In terms of mileage.
City driving 100% A/C - Average of 10.5kmpl (perfectly met my requirement of a minimum of 10kmpl in city)
Highway driving 100% A/C - Average of 12kmpl (Enthusiastic spirited driving at high speeds, I feel driving it in a more sedate manner should give around 13 - 14kmpl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
It is not wise to pay from own pocket to try claim NCB next year. You are in the beginning of your insurance cycle and are more likely to have further claims in next 11 months. It makes sense to consider paying on own only if the year is almost over.
Thanks Path_Finder, yes I'm beginning to feel the same too.
Old 1st December 2008, 11:49   #75
BHPian

Go aheah and get the painting done at the Ford dealer,however ensure that you take the car back to the dealer after 3-4 days to get the rubbing done on the repainted portion or else you would find difference in smoothness/gloss between the two portions.
zen91 is offline   Reply With Quote