Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 8th November 2008, 17:47   #1
BHPian

Default Finally my new Fiesta 1.6S

Folks, been busy clocking miles since I got my 1.6S delivery yesterday. Shall post a more detailed ownership report with pictures later, but for now gotta say this.

Awesome Car ! I'm glad I chose this car over the other choices that were available in this segment.

Vehicle: Fiesta 1.6 Sports, Aquarius colour.

Pros:
1. The car's handling is awesome, especially on curvy roads.
2. Gear shift is smooth and slick.
3. Engine is rev happy and acceleration is pretty good (been light footed and plan to be for the first 1000Km, but she still speeds through the gears). The car accelerates so quickly that you have to quickly remind yourself that it's still running-in time. Revs kept below 2500 rpm till now.
4. The Air Conditioning is very good and cools the interiors very very fast.
5. Steering height adjustment helps find a comfortable driving position.
6. The boot release switch on the remote is a very very handy feature. Thank you Ford.
7. Storage area space created above the glove box is a neat touch, and very handy.
8. The MP3 player is pretty decent, but I could have done with more BASS.
9. Awesome headlights, light up the road very well.
10. DTE (Distance To Empty) gauge is a very convenient feature, though how very accurate it is only time will tell.
11. Driver side vanity mirror, my wife's gonna be happy.
12. Car feels very sturdy, and the interior quality feels very good.
13. Interior lighting is very good. Rear interior lights very handy.

Cons:
1. Tyres are darn noisy, and I'm just not able to get the tire dealers to give me an exchange on the existing Goodyear NCT5's. Problem is that the 195/55R15 profile is only in use on the Fiesta 1.6Sport and the tire dealer claims that he won't be able to pop them off to someone else. Sad, since I had my eyes set on the Yokohama S.Drive.
2. The front hood/bonnet switch is near the front passenger door! What was Ford thinking? So very inconvenient.
3. The DC power socket is so very inaccessible if you wanna plug in large charger. Have to get an extension socket/cable for it.
4. Dashboard is pretty good, but unfortunately I couldn't find a flat area to keep the facial tissue box.
5. Would have loved it if there were under seat storage trays.
6. Turn indicators are hardly noticeable on the dashboard. And if your music is playing full swing, you won't even notice the tic-tac sound to warn you that the indicators are signaling.
7. Wish the front seat belts had a height adjustment feature, for my height the seatbelt keeps irritating the side of the neck! Have to get seatbelt comfort pads now.
8. Doors close with a bit of a thud.
9. Found the horn a bit hard.
The cons as per me are very minor and livable.

Accessories / Additions planned at the moment:
1. Autocop Cobra alarm system. This is one designed primarily for the Fiesta, and is a direct fit in. The same Ford remote control works along with this alarm.
- This includes a siren/alarm with indicator flash/siren for Door/Hood/Bonnet intruder alerts.
- Ultrasonic sensors for "intruder window breakage". Can be disabled if not required.
- Existing Fiesta remote operates the alarm. Darn convenient.
2. 3M or Lumar sunfilm for Windows/rear w's. May also go in for the front windshield film (depends if I'm convinced it won't get scratched on the insides during cleaning.)
3. Additional Alloy Wheel for the spare tyre. Not yet available from Ford since the part no. isn't yet available for ordering.

Last edited by autoenthusiast : 8th November 2008 at 18:01. Reason: Corrected spelling
autoenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 18:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats.
The color is the head turner surely.
I love the car in any color though,It's like sports car with side skirts and wonderful alloys.
Interior in Black is also good.though they could have given leather seats like Sxi.
Happy riding
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 18:35   #3
BHPian

[quote=autoenthusiast;1045673]3. Additional Alloy Wheel for the spare tyre. Not yet available from Ford since the part no. isn't yet available for ordering

Is it true they are not providing you a set of five Alloy wheels that is really sad inspite of buying an limited edition like S and spending extra

Ford has really learnt the tricks of cost cutting from other manufactures

Last edited by sathyaprakash : 8th November 2008 at 18:38.
sathyaprakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 20:00   #4
BHPian

Good choice autoenthusiast, post some pictures after you are done clocking miles. I really like the recent face lift and it adds sportiness that was missing in the older version.
nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 20:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey Congrats, saw the cars pic on the other thread, it definately looks smart. Wish you all the best for your new ride and hope u enjoy it to the fullest.
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 20:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
Is it true they are not providing you a set of five Alloy wheels that is really sad inspite of buying an limited edition like S and spending extra

With tubeless tyres being the norm, I guess having an alloy for the spare doesn't mean much. Even my vRS has a normal steel wheel for the spare.

Hey AE,

Good choice buddy. Can I see some interior pictures ?
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 22:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, doors closing with a thud isn't much of a con. People buy European cars for that reassuring thud
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 22:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
2. The front hood/bonnet switch is near the front passenger door! What was Ford thinking? So very inconvenient.
They forgot to re-engineer that for RHD?
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 23:13   #9
BHPian

And this has happened for the DESIGNED FOR INDIA car
harshavardhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 23:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

I think they should realise that Indians are fans of Japanese, Korean and European cars (in that order). That's why "the designed for India / Third World" doesn't set the sales chart on fire.

Anyway, autoenthusiast, congratulations on the car. Perhaps the best driver's car on this side of 10 lakhs.

Last edited by architect : 8th November 2008 at 23:26. Reason: mis-spelling "designed". Trust an architect to do that!
Old 8th November 2008, 23:29   #11
BHPian

Thanks everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
The color is the head turner surely.
Yup I agree, that's one of the things that really appealed to me about this car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
Yes but I believe this is a regular practice with most of the manufacturers today. Like normally_crazy stated below since tubeless tyres are used your spare gets rarely used. One of the primary reason I wanted to pick up a piece for the spare was incase there was any damage to a single alloy, I wouldn't want to wait for a long time to get it ordered from the factory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
Good choice autoenthusiast, post some pictures after you are done clocking miles. I really like the recent face lift and it adds sportiness that was missing in the older version.
Yes shall definitely post some pictures soon. And it's true the recent facelift really has added the sportiness that was missing earlier, especially the headlights and the butch front bumper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Hey Congrats, saw the cars pic on the other thread, it definately looks smart. Wish you all the best for your new ride and hope u enjoy it to the fullest.
Thanks Deky
Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
With tubeless tyres being the norm, I guess having an alloy for the spare doesn't mean much. Even my vRS has a normal steel wheel for the spare.
Hey AE,
Good choice buddy. Can I see some interior pictures ?
Thanks normally_crazy, you are right with regards to the tubeless tyres, actually the primary reason I wanted to pick up a piece for the spare was incase there was damage to a single alloy, I wouldn't want to wait for a long time to get it ordered from the factory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Hmm, doors closing with a thud isn't much of a con. People buy European cars for that reassuring thud
Yes I guess so, actually I have been used to Japanese/korean cars and the thud was something that was never there, guess it's a matter of getting used to it, maybe in future I wouldn't like doors that don't thud :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
They forgot to re-engineer that for RHD?
I thought the Fiesta was a car that was mainly developed for India and the asian market ? not sure, but I really didn't understand the logic in having the switch there. Another thing that's different in Ford is the placement of the turn indicator lever on the left of the steering wheel and the wiper activation lever on the right.
Old 8th November 2008, 23:30   #12
BHPian

Thumbs up

Congrats autoenthusiast. Do post some pics.
Fiesta sxi looks stunning in the new dark violet color(not sure it is a new color or not!!, I have seen one in my office yesterday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshavardhan View Post
And this has happened for the DESIGNED FOR INDIA car
I guess IKON is supposed to be 'made for India', not the Fiesta.
dRaGsTerrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 23:33   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, autoenthusiast, congratulations on the car. Perhaps the best driver's car on this side of 10 lakhs.
Thanks and yes I agree with that, after driving all the options in this segment/range, this is definitely the best drivers car on this side of 10L. No doubt about it.
And being a petrol head and since I love driving, the 1.6S was the car for me. Just owning if for a day and I'm sure I'll always enjoy driving it.
Old 8th November 2008, 23:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
I thought the Fiesta was a car that was mainly developed for India and the asian market ? not sure, but I really didn't understand the logic in having the switch there. Another thing that's different in Ford is the placement of the turn indicator lever on the left of the steering wheel and the wiper activation lever on the right.
Another clear case of not wanting to change (or not wanting to spend on the change) from LHD to RHD.

OT: Thankfully my Palio has the indicator stalk on the right.
Old 8th November 2008, 23:52   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Another clear case of not wanting to change (or not wanting to spend on the change) from LHD to RHD.

OT: Thankfully my Palio has the indicator stalk on the right.
Well it's not really a problem in having the indicator stalk on the left, it's just that it takes a day or two to get used to it since we have been more used to having it on the right. Other than getting used to it in a day or two, I didn't experience any discomfort or issues.

Like I mentioned earlier, the cons that I found were very minor and the pros greatly surpassed the other vehicles in this segment.