Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 26th November 2008, 00:09   #31
KVS
BHPian

Safri went back to the dealer yesterday morning. I wanted the following to be fixed.
  1. Sunfilm
  2. Audio problem in reverse gear
  3. Gap in the doors
  4. Fixing the number plate (registration is not done yet)
  5. Remote is not working - could be weak battery
Dealer has not given the following documents.
  1. Extended warranty booklet
  2. Electronic security system owner's manual (it is mentioned in pg 31 of Safari owner's manual)
I received only one remote with the car. Dealer mentioned that you get only one remote with the car. Is this the case? I read in one of the post by a fellow bhpian that we get two remotes.

In any case I requested for one more remote, in case one is lost.

Hope I get the vehicle back ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
the spare wheel cover doesnt seem to be visible in the pics. there was one with the vehicle right?
and what was the head unit that came with it ?
greenhorn, the head unit is Alpine. Model noVA-9861E. They have not fixed the wheel cover during the PDI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Congratulations KVS!

Black Safari is a stunner! Wish you many many happy miles in it!
kb100 - Thanks. Yes Black is looking much better than what I expected. We were debating between Black and Perl white. My wife vetoed against perl white. It is OK. She gets the colour and I get the Safari...

Cheers

KVS
KVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 00:43   #32
KVS
BHPian

dr_know : Thanks. It took lot of time for making the decision. Once we took the decision it was implemented very fast..

abhinav.s: Thanks. I felt the 4X4 option is always handy to have. We normally go for long drives and you never know when you require.

white_vdi: Thanks. I have not used the 4X4 option yet. Need to read more on 4X4 stuff, before I start using it. Once the vehicle is back from the dealer, I will take the interior pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
KVS,

Congrats!

The vehicle is a stunner!

Good catch greenhorn. Not there from the very first pic. Guess they might be fixing it when it reaches the showroom. KVS - do look out for this.
Thanks Happywheels. Greenhorn has already answered it,

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
its there in the delivery pics. so not an issue i guess

KVS, do let us know the make and model no of the DVD player that came with your beast
Greenhorn - I replied it in my previous post. It came with Alpine head unit. I am not sure which is better Alpine or Blaupunkt? I am facing a problem of interference in audio when the vehicle is engaged in reverse gear. By any chance you know what the problem could be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Congrats

and off roading right out from the showroom nice
Thanks Alshay!! We went to a small hill near by. Not full off roading. I guess I need to wait for some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
True; missed to notice that there was second page to the thread!

KVS, you are really putting the beast into its elements, arent you? Out of the showroom and onto the dusty road! Great going!

Happy motoring, buddy!
HappyWheels: Thanks. We went to a place where there is open space, so that every one (friends and family) can take drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Congratulations, the 2.2l count is increasing by the day, good that you bought the 4x4, enjoy it.
Thanks Dadu. Your posts during the 2.2 launch were very useful..

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepgautam_qa View Post
Badhai Ho!!!

I am waiting for the day when we'll not have to say "buying Safari is all about listening to the heart and not the head".
TML, it should be an eye opener for you...see how passionate people are about Safari! Get us a niggle free Safari now!

Happy and safe riding KVS!

Cheers!!!
deepgautam_qa: Shukriya!! Hope the day may not be too far, with TML acquiring Land Rover, they will learn the tricks of the trade. I heard TML would be setting up an assembly line for Land Rover in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Congrats pal. Welcome to the club.
Thanks jkdas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayakumarkp View Post
The black beauty is simply stunning! kudos to your attempt at Off Road!! cheers:
Wish you Happy Miles in this Mile Muncher! The back seats of Safari are simply the best for long drives.
Congratulation Again!!
Jayakumarkp: Thanks. I will not be sitting on the back seats. I think the driver seat is also as comfortable as back seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stable rock View Post
Safari looks great in Black.Enjoy your new ride.
Stable rock: thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Congrats on your purchase, KVS!

The spare wheel cover is placed in the trunk/boot area while shipping. My first sighting of our car was at the RTO, when they asked me to come over for choosing the registration number. Didn't find the spare wheel cover on the car, and then found it sitting pretty with the protective plastic around it, within the trunk .
dkamath: Thanks. The same happened to me when I went for the PDI.
Old 26th November 2008, 07:26   #33
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, safari in black looks hot!

And my heart ruled over head long back, but the problem is with the bank balance!!

Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 08:59   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVS View Post
Safri went back to the dealer yesterday morning. I wanted the following to be fixed.
  1. Sunfilm
  3. Gap in the doors
  4. Fixing the number plate (registration is not done yet)
  5. Remote is not working - could be weak battery
Dealer has not given the following documents.
  1. Extended warranty booklet
  2. Electronic security system owner's manual (it is mentioned in pg 31 of Safari owner's manual)
I received only one remote with the car. Dealer mentioned that you get only one remote with the car. Is this the case? I read in one of the post by a fellow bhpian that we get two remotes.

In any case I requested for one more remote, in case one is lost.

greenhorn, the head unit is Alpine. Model noVA-9861E. They have not fixed the wheel cover during the PDI.

KVS
Whats the audio problem in reverse? You have a reverse horn?
Edit: Maybe faulty wiring with the switch.

You should get 2 remotes by default.

That is a nice HU, default DVD for VX.

Last edited by jkdas : 26th November 2008 at 09:06.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 11:44   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
And my heart ruled over head long back, but the problem is with the bank balance!!
Hi Latheesh, i understand this well, but i don't think everyone of us here who owns a Safari is stinking rich. I do stink sometimes, but am certainly not rich. It was only that desire to own this car, that was the motivation here. Had to keep tab of expenses for the next two months after purchase, to limp back to a near-normal monetary condition.
Sorry all for this bit of off-topic. Wanted to put it across that money does matter, but it's decisions like these where the heart wins over the head, and the purse, as well. hehe.
Cheers.
dkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 12:35   #36
BHPian

Answers in bold below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVS View Post

Could be interference with the reverse camera display. Do you get any interference in the reverse display when the ICE is playing?

I have an LX and got the Tata Indilock security system fitted which comes with the same remote as in the EX and VX versions. I got two remotes and I would imagine that EX and VX should come with two remotes by default. Maybe you can check with members here who have recently purchased EX or VX model Safaris.

My wife vetoed against perl white. It is OK. She gets the colour and I get the Safari...

Now that is one good deal!
Strangerintown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 12:45   #37
Senior - BHPian

To clarify on the remote part.

- You get one ICE remote
- You get two Security system remotes along with two safari keys.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 13:04   #38
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

KVS,

Congrats, your Safari in Black is a stunner.

Choosing the 4x4 is a wise decision even if you have to stretch,; when you do long distance, detours suddenly appear even on GQ, the 4x4 could come in handy. It would be fun and exciting trying the 4x4 on muddy mountain trails.

Wishing happy times.

--Ramky
--------
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 21:47   #39
KVS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Congrats, safari in black looks hot!

Dear Latheesh, Thanks!! I agree with dkamath. Money is not the matter here. I had to stretch beyond my budget, but no complaints now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Whats the audio problem in reverse? You have a reverse horn?
Edit: Maybe faulty wiring with the switch.

You should get 2 remotes by default.

That is a nice HU, default DVD for VX.
jkdas: The reverse video is interfering with audio signals. I got the vehicle back, but the problem remains same. I also have the following problems
  • FM reception is also not good.
  • It is not catching the stations properly Automatic Tuning. I saved the stations with manual tuning.
  • Not tested the DVD and CD player completely. (will do tomorrow)
  • Does an External antenna increase the quality f reception?
Dealer did send two remotes and the manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Hi Latheesh, i understand this well, but i don't think everyone of us here who owns a Safari is stinking rich. I do stink sometimes, but am certainly not rich
Cheers.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
Could be interference with the reverse camera display. Do you get any interference in the reverse display when the ICE is playing?
I do not get any interference in the display, it is only in the audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
To clarify on the remote part.

- You get one ICE remote
- You get two Security system remotes along with two safari keys.
Yes Dadu, I got the ICE remote and two security remotes for safari..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
KVS,

Congrats, your Safari in Black is a stunner.

Choosing the 4x4 is a wise decision even if you have to stretch,; when you do long distance, detours suddenly appear even on GQ, the 4x4 could come in handy. It would be fun and exciting trying the 4x4 on muddy mountain trails.

Wishing happy times.

--Ramky
--------
Thanks Ramky. Yes I agree with you on 4X4 option. I have not tried it yet. Just reading the 4X4 stuff to get acquainted, before trying it.
Old 29th November 2008, 23:17   #40
BANNED

Congratulations and Celebrations...

Welcome to the Truckers club, You've got a great looking and super performing Battle tank,

best of luck with your beast, kindly show it off on the Safari Thread on 4x4 section.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 23:34   #41
KVS
BHPian

Default First three days of TRUCK Driving experience

Hello all,

I thought of sharing my initial days of driving experience in two parts..

PART-I

Day one:

I was a bit nervous driving the truck in city. I have to drive 30kms for my office and 15 kms in the city. I thought of not taking it, but the driver in me rebelled against the thought. Finally decided to take it to the office.

First Hurdle (Reversing the truck):
The truck was parked such way that I could not reverse it. My wife giving the directions and I almost hit the gate. I tried five times back and forth, but the vehicle is still in the parking lot.

People from my society and near by societies have gathered in their balconies for a free show. I see few onlookers with an expression "Poor guy!! Bought a big car and not able to handle it". Few came forward and started giving free advice. The reverse camera was not all that helpful either.

Wife gave it up and suggested to take Indica for today. That was like rubbing salt on injured ego.. I got out of the vehicle to see the distance between the pillars on the parking and what angle I need to take the vehicle out. I tried and managed the vehicle out ( ignoring the advices of the bystanders)

With a sigh of relief, I started my journey to the office..

Second hurdle (Size of the truck):
My Indica does not have Left side mirror and the rear view mirror of Safari is small for the size of the vehicle. On top of it the view is blocked by the spare wheel. It was really tough to judge the distance. Looking it three mirrors and driving with two wheelers criss crossing in front of me, reminded me of my initial driving school days.

I kept honking when ever I see a two wheeler aside or in front. Some guys gave a stare at me saying an elephant can pass between your car and my bike, why the hell are you honking? I pretended as if I did not notice them.

Third hurdle (Lane changing):
In my Indica I can see what is behind me and what is on my right side or left side, by just turning the head. In safari, because of the elevation I could not see what is behind or side of my vehicle (only way is to see the left mirror). I did not change the lane just followed one lane, irrespective whether I am behind a bullock cart or an auto or a two wheeler or a bus.
Some how I managed to drive through the city and reached the high way.

I did not find much difficult to drive on the high way and finally reached the office. Surprisingly it took the same time as I take in my Indica. Not bad

The story was similar but slightly better while returning. I returned late and the traffic was less on the road.

Day one summary:

I did not enjoy my driving, I was tensed, I was more concentrating on not hitting any two wheelers and slowing on pot holes only to observe that I do not need to in a safari.

PART-II will follow
Old 29th November 2008, 23:54   #42
BHPian

You will get used to it! I too graduated to the Safari after driving an Indica for 6 years and am as comfortable with it as with the Indica. Actually I never had any trouble with the Safari even on day one!

I'm surprised you found the ORVMs inadequate. I always thought they were pretty huge and gave a very good view. The only thing you cant see are short objects immediately behind the vehicle. The reverse camera takes a little time to get used to. But you will develop the judgement soon enough.
Strangerintown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 10:44   #43
BHPian

Congrats KVS on your Black Beast. It sure looks stunning.

I would be interested with the Hella Rallye 4000 part. Please let me know where you are planning to source them from though I am not from Pune. Also, please let me know the suggested retail price for an original pair. I would be interested to get a pair for my car as well. Please PM me if required.
Saurabh M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 13:40   #44
BHPian

Congrats KVS on acquiring the black beauty!!
I read with amusement your day one experience. Good that you did not give up and will soon get used to all nuisances. Good luck and wish many more miles.
Path_Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 18:46   #45
Senior - BHPian

Congrats KVS on ur new Safari. Indeed very wise of you to get a 4x4. Do take good care of the black color. Looks very nice.
You will get used to driving the Safari over time. Parking in tight sections will always remain challenging but the acquired skill will definitely help with other cars.
You will begin to appreciate it more as you drive outdoors. Safari with 4x4 and good ground clearance and excellent suspension will take you places you only thought were impossible before. The 4x4 is truly fantabulous. Ive been using it quiet often now and it really performs. Off the road is the only place where i now really appreciate the Safari. It covers for all its shortcomings.
Do get your second remote from the dealer. Its standard even with my EX.
Happy mile munching.
cheers:
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote