Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 3rd December 2008, 20:48   #286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enter View Post
Blue pulsar (strange name to address ) .. the expectation from a wagon-r can be different also. Its an individual perspective. One might say after 3 years that the expectation from A* is good engine and superb mileage only for 2 people. Right?

Anyways, my point is that whether a car is overpriced or not can only be decided by one factor. How many people, who have the requirement for A* do not buy it only due to the price tag. And we have a long way to go to come to this conclusion as the car is just out. For e.g i10. I feel i could have got it, had it been priced around wagon-r. But I left it instead and booked A*.

But I agree with your analysis in most of the points..

cheers.
Congrats on booking the A-star! You must be the first on t-bhp!

You are actually right that the i10 should have been priced around the WagonR or 10K more than WagonR atmost. That is what even I felt. Atleast the Era variant should have been priced at 10K more than W-R LXi. But these are my views. Others, please don't start bashing me.
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 21:47   #287

I feel the pricing strategy by maruti is actually quite clever.
They hope to sell a good number, for the first month or two, given the initial launch hype, etc.
Then they will raise the price by around 5000/-, as this is claimed to be the " introductory price".
Then!, to be sure it will start raining discounts on the A-star (free insurance/acessories/exchange bonus etc. etc.) maybe even amounting to 15 to 20K... that will bring the price closer to Wagon R territory.
The dull auto market is not going to pick up any time soon!!
In fact ,the lacklustre response to a New Maruti has even got the company worried.
For those of us , who follow the business news, I am sure will be aware, that the government is apparently working on an "Incentive Package" to rescue the automobile industry in India.( who knows...maybe...even a lowering of the excise duty!!)
So for all of us cribbing here, about the A-star being overpriced, My advice is wait a few months (if you can)...Rest assured , you'll get a much better deal!
carcoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 11:09   #288
BHPian

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcoll View Post
I feel the pricing strategy by maruti is actually quite clever.
They hope to sell a good number, for the first month or two, given the initial launch hype, etc.
Then they will raise the price by around 5000/-, as this is claimed to be the " introductory price".
Then!, to be sure it will start raining discounts on the A-star (free insurance/acessories/exchange bonus etc. etc.) maybe even amounting to 15 to 20K... that will bring the price closer to Wagon R territory.
The dull auto market is not going to pick up any time soon!!
In fact ,the lacklustre response to a New Maruti has even got the company worried.
For those of us , who follow the business news, I am sure will be aware, that the government is apparently working on an "Incentive Package" to rescue the automobile industry in India.( who knows...maybe...even a lowering of the excise duty!!)
So for all of us cribbing here, about the A-star being overpriced, My advice is wait a few months (if you can)...Rest assured , you'll get a much better deal!
Hey carcoll, thats true.. they have done a clever pricing. But I feel the prices will comedown later on. A star can compete only when they are priced low.. Otherwise it will get tough for maruti. I personally liked the car in the picture. But it was the opposite when i saw it in person. They should have made little more rear legroom. I feel thats one major drawback !
gatsri007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 13:09   #289
BHPian

I have finalised the deal on i10 Kappa Sportz over A-Star ZXi considering the following factors:

What I would have got, if I had chosen A-Star ZXi:
1. ABS, Air Bags
2. Good mileage (though need to be tested practically)

What I would have lost:
1. Space
2. 1 Cylinder
6. DOHC engine available only with i10 in hatchbacks segment.
3. Performance on highways (This is the major point, since I drive mostly highways)
4. Decent interiors
5. Fit and finish

I am not against A-Star or Maruti, but I wanted a latest design and engine technology. Both i10 and A-Star provided me these options. But I found i10 is better but I got to compromise the safety factors. After all, I was driving till now with out these safety things, why can't I continue do the same. BTW, i10 Sportz OTR after discounts I got is par with A-Star ZXi price. Just my cents.

Last edited by subbusos : 4th December 2008 at 13:11. Reason: Missed a point, hence edited.
subbusos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 13:24   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbusos View Post
I have finalised the deal on i10 Kappa Sportz over A-Star ZXi considering the following factors:

What I would have got, if I had chosen A-Star ZXi:
1. ABS, Air Bags
2. Good mileage (though need to be tested practically)

What I would have lost:
1. Space
2. 1 Cylinder
6. DOHC engine available only with i10 in hatchbacks segment.
3. Performance on highways (This is the major point, since I drive mostly highways)
4. Decent interiors
5. Fit and finish

I am not against A-Star or Maruti, but I wanted a latest design and engine technology. Both i10 and A-Star provided me these options. But I found i10 is better but I got to compromise the safety factors. After all, I was driving till now with out these safety things, why can't I continue do the same. BTW, i10 Sportz OTR after discounts I got is par with A-Star ZXi price. Just my cents.
Congrats on your new purchase! i10 Kappa has a great engine and is very much fun to drive.

ZXi is fully loaded and if you compare feature-wise, its similar to the Asta model. Actually, A-star should not be compared to i10 Kappa, as written elsewhere on this forum. Your discounts notwithstanding, i10 Kappa Magna is priced around 4L ex-showroom and A-star ZXi is priced around 4.11L ex-showroom.

And as far as my experience with i10 on highway goes, you can push her as long are you keep in mind that she's a 'tallboy'. Somehow, due to the shape, I feel the A-star should be more planted on the highway. Common Maruti, give us the 1.2 A-star!!!
Old 4th December 2008, 13:43   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Congrats on your new purchase! i10 Kappa has a great engine and is very much fun to drive.

ZXi is fully loaded and if you compare feature-wise, its similar to the Asta model. Actually, A-star should not be compared to i10 Kappa, as written elsewhere on this forum. Your discounts notwithstanding, i10 Kappa Magna is priced around 4L ex-showroom and A-star ZXi is priced around 4.11L ex-showroom.

And as far as my experience with i10 on highway goes, you can push her as long are you keep in mind that she's a 'tallboy'. Somehow, due to the shape, I feel the A-star should be more planted on the highway. Common Maruti, give us the 1.2 A-star!!!
Even i10 Sportz is fully loaded except for the fog lamps. It has every thing the A-Star ZXi has except the fog lamps, abs and air-bags.

Featurewise, i10 Kappa Sportz and A-Star ZXi are almost par, except that A-Star has ABS, Airbags and fog lamps. i10 Sportz is better with space, fit and finish, quality, better engine, of course price is also par.

I agree that Kappa cannot be compared with A-Star, similarly i10 Kappa Magna also should not be compared with A-Star ZXi.

And I strongly disagree with you about the performance of the A-Star on highways. Its definitely not a highway car, its just for city commuting. Ofcourse one can take her to highways fully knowing its limitations/capabilities. As you said, 1.2 A-Star would be the right choice for that.
Old 4th December 2008, 15:19   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

And I strongly disagree with you about the performance of the A-Star on highways. Its definitely not a highway car, its just for city commuting. Ofcourse one can take her to highways fully knowing its limitations/capabilities. As you said, 1.2 A-Star would be the right choice for that.
Subbu
people drive M800 also on highways here
I think at least in north india average speed on highways is not much. geenrally most highways are poorly designed and we always have traffic in both directions (especially tractors and bullock carts!!!) Its not US yaar. You can drive any car on the so-called highways here.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 15:47   #293
BANNED

Quote:
Featurewise, i10 Kappa Sportz and A-Star ZXi are almost par, except that A-Star has ABS, Airbags and fog lamps.
What? Do you think that ABS, airbags and fog lamps are so cheap or useless features? Otherwise, what do you mean by "featurewise almost par"?
romeomidhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 16:15   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Subbu
people drive M800 also on highways here
I think at least in north india average speed on highways is not much. geenrally most highways are poorly designed and we always have traffic in both directions (especially tractors and bullock carts!!!) Its not US yaar. You can drive any car on the so-called highways here.
Yes, I agree that you can take any car on the highways, but one need to know its capabilities like time required for overtaking, giving ways to the faster cars as such. But I have never seen any of these cars having tiny engines following the same. I think I have already mentioned this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
What? Do you think that ABS, airbags and fog lamps are so cheap or useless features? Otherwise, what do you mean by "featurewise almost par"?
I never said that they are not useful or cheap. What I said is i10 sportz has all the features of A-Star ZXi except fog lamps, ABS and Air-bags. Featurewise A-Star ZXi and i10 Sportz are same. Again stressing that A-Star ZXi has fog lamps, ABS and air-bags additionally. Thats my point and I know the use of ABS and air-bags and its my personal compromise on choosing i10 Sportz variant as I think Asta too much to take. Period.
Old 4th December 2008, 17:35   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I agree that you can take any car on the highways, but one need to know its capabilities like time required for overtaking, giving ways to the faster cars as such. But I have never seen any of these cars having tiny engines following the same. I think I have already mentioned this point.
Oh well highway driving is something you learn as you take out your car on highways. Its not so difficult really. I have an Alto (45 bhp it is?) and I have done bit of highway driving (Delhi-Agra highway) with lot of overtaking (sometimes cursing the car for taking longer to overtake) but point is very fast you learn your car's capabilities and then can do all these things. I have even successfully overtaken the likes of Swifts and Citys with AC ON!
generally I drive between 90-100 on the highways here. One big problem is there is never a stretch here more than a few KMs that is free for a spirited run. You have so many villages and small towns everywhere and people/cattle/tractors popping up every now and then! I feel if somebody does fair amount of highway travel in India then he should buy car with all safety features like Airbags/ABS etc (rather than more power!). Highways in India are so unpredictable you never know when they can save you!
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 19:41   #296
BHPian

Atleast in Chennai-Bangalore GQ highways we can enjoy at high speeds upto 180 in certains parts, so it is good to have safety features in these highways.
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 22:39   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even i10 Sportz is fully loaded except for the fog lamps. It has every thing the A-Star ZXi has except the fog lamps, abs and air-bags.

Featurewise, i10 Kappa Sportz and A-Star ZXi are almost par, except that A-Star has ABS, Airbags and fog lamps. i10 Sportz is better with space, fit and finish, quality, better engine, of course price is also par.
Agreed that except airbags, ABS, fog lamps, immobilizer i10 Sportz is as loaded as A-star ZXi. But add all these to i10 Sportz, the price will easily shoot up by 50-60K.

Quote:
I agree that Kappa cannot be compared with A-Star, similarly i10 Kappa Magna also should not be compared with A-Star ZXi.
i10 Kappa Magna costs: Rs. 402404 (ex-showroom Bangalore)
A-star ZXi costs: Rs. 410406 (ex-showroom Bangalore)
Difference is 8K.

The point of comparison is, a fully loaded A-star costs almost equal to base i10 Kappa. So, both are in different segments.

Also, i10 kappa Sportz costs Rs. 427053. Which is already 17K costlier than the Magna. Add the price of Airbags, ABS etc, it will be 67-77K costlier than A-star ZXi.

Quote:
You got me wrong. I never meant that A-star is a better highway performer. i10 Kappa has around 12bhp more, no doubt its a better performer. But, keep in mind that i10 is a 'tallboy' and A-star is not. So A-star should be more 'stable' at high speeds. Anyways, lets wait for the long term reports.

And regarding DOHC, even A-star's K-series engine is DOHC. So, technology-wise, both engines should be pretty high-tech. Add to that, A-star engine is supposed to have lowest emission figures. But, I agree that both engines are Euro-V ready.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 4th December 2008 at 22:47.
Old 5th December 2008, 15:38   #298
BHPian

A-Star requirement was given by Nissan for European market with 50,000 car committed for first phase. But now they have reduced it to just 10,000 due to the global market.

Personally i wish this car succeeds in world market, as it is the first car designed from Suzuki India, the future designs from India are rely on its success.
TeddyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 15:42   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
You got me wrong. I never meant that A-star is a better highway performer. i10 Kappa has around 12bhp more, no doubt its a better performer. But, keep in mind that i10 is a 'tallboy' and A-star is not. So A-star should be more 'stable' at high speeds. Anyways, lets wait for the long term reports.
Yep, the A-star feels much more composed at high speeds than the i10. A wider track, lower height and stiffer suspension aids the way the Maruti feels at triple digits speeds on winding roads than the Hyundai
BunnyPunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 16:27   #300
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to buy an A-Star Zxi next year when I am back in India (apr-may).

with ABS, airbag + 15 kmpl FE is a good package I believe,

but I am concerned about the rear leg space and boot vol, Can someone post pics showing leg space and boot vol.(I am 5'6" but few of my friends are 5'10"+).
also expecting some detailed report on ABS in this car.

what is the corporate discount offer on A-Star now ?

It will sell like hot cake if they offer ex-showroom 4L for Zxi variant.
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote