Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 8th December 2010, 10:52   #166
BHPian

Default re: Hyundai i10 Kappa (Nov-2008) : White Angel Comes Home !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Strangely, that dashboard noise has disappeared on its own. But, there is a slight noise that comes when i turn the steering to right/left ( dont remember exactly which side).

Anyways, its due its 4th service ( its done only 8600kms in 2 years) next month and will get all these niggles sorted out.
I have been able to locate the source of this Noise.

I took it to HMP 10 days back. It is a long story about how I tried to convice SA on the noise.

They kept the car for 2 days and finally found the source. The Shift selector cable is fouling with the body somewhere.

When the car is revved, the engine vibrates a bit and in turn the selector cable and fouls with the body somewhere.

They supposedly changed a washer to hold the cable in place. The noise was gone for some days but back in all its glory.

I'm taking it to another A.S.S tomorrow and will explain to them about this. Let's see how it goes.
para_7k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 07:51   #167
BHPian

I followed this thread closely before eventually picking up our I10 on December 13. I have documented our ownership experience at:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ve-dwarfs.html

Thanks for all of your inputs on the I10.

Regards,
Melvyn
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 15:13   #168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
They kept the car for 2 days and finally found the source. The Shift selector cable is fouling with the body somewhere.
So is this noise issue resolved? Would love to know your feedback

Mine is surprisingly silent and no noise emnates anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
I followed this thread closely before eventually picking up our I10 on December 13. I have documented our ownership experience at:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ve-dwarfs.html

Thanks for all of your inputs on the I10.

Regards,
Melvyn
Congratulations on your new i10 Kappa-2 Melvyn. Enjoy your drive and be safe
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 13:34   #169
Team-BHP Support

A quick update on the "White Angel"

It has completed "just" 10,000kms earlier this month and is due for her 10K service on this saturday. It has been a wonderful 2.7 years of completion with no major complaints to share except for the known i10 drawbacks like :-

1. Rear seat really uncomfortable while crossing spead-breakers. The car practically tosses the passengers around and when it lands back on ground it makes a sickening thump.

2. The biege interiors looks contemprary but, whenever you pass an avenue or highway with lots of trees, its disturbing due to the reflections

3. Finally, my major grouch is the mileage. I have a manual version and never able to cross 11kmpl in city conditions. I drive with a heavy foot and always measure FE each tankful. I never was able to go beyond 330kms in tankful thats when the fuel light comes up and upon filling get 30L into the tank.

Can somoene confirm if fuel light comes up at 30L and has a reserve of 5L making the overall tank capacity to 35L?

As the car is going for its 10K service later this week and almost after a year into a service station. Will these checks be sufficient?

1. Oil Change

2. Air Filter Replacement

3. Wheel Alignment and Balance ( will get this done from outside)

4. Wiper blades replacement ( They wear off pretty fast and also the washer liquid too get exhausted quite soon)

As I dont have any issues to mention to service folks, is there anything else that I should get checked? Any ideas how the FE can be improved as 11kmpl is too low even if i drive it hard.

TIA for your feedback!
Old 14th June 2011, 14:42   #170
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai i10 Kappa (Nov-2008) : White Angel Comes Home !!!

mobike008, in my i10 the light glows at nearly around 29litres empty mark. I believe its 6 litres in reserve. Because after getting the light i have driven for around 15 kms and even after that, for a tankful till auto cut off, the car takes in about 29.xx litres of petrol.

As for mileage, am sorry to say, with a heavy foot, there is no way you can improve mileage

And, yes, i always use Shell. With PSU petrol, FE goes down by 0.75kmpl at least!

You HAVE to shift gears at 2000 rpms for the car to return the best figures! From my experience, since i started shifting at 2k rpms, with very less bumper to bumper traffic, i have consistently got a FE figure lying between 14 and 15 kmpl. When i used to shift at 2500 rpms i used to get around 12.5 kmpl. So if you shift at 3k rpms FE will be even less!

Regarding Wiper Blade replacements, do it only if you feel the blades are leaving marks on the windshield when wiping or if the wiping isn't clean enough. 2.5 years and 22K Kms, i have still not changed them! During the last service, i asked my SA, and he told me the above point and warned me that the blades are quite costly with one side blade costing about 600 odd and another side costing about 800 or 900 odd!!(An SA saving a customers money, unbelievable isn't it? )

Last edited by iPai : 14th June 2011 at 14:43.
iPai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 16:59   #171
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the feedback iPai. Looks like the FE wont improve much because there is no point shifting gears in the i10 below 3K rpm as thats where is the actual fun of driving this car.

Nice to know you havent changed your wiper blades and didnt know they were that expensive. Will keep that in mind.

Also, I am used to Hyundai saving me a lot of money. Experienced that a lot during my Accent Viva CRDi ownership. Infact, they never let me spend money

Any idea what should be the tentative cost that i am looking at for this 10K service?
Old 14th June 2011, 17:20   #172
BHPian

Quote:

Can somoene confirm if fuel light comes up at 30L and has a reserve of 5L making the overall tank capacity to 35L?
I dont think so it comes at 30L. Once I drove for around 70 Kms in City after the fuel empty indication mark. Didnt fill it up tank full after that and hence cannot comment whats the exact fuel empty indication mark. But looking at the mileage it gives me (~11 in city), I think its worth of 6 litres or so to the 35L mark which accounts to 29L mark.

Increase the mileage?????

Tried all possible ways - no AC, conservative driving, less braking and gear shifts. What not???? I never crossed 11kmpl within the city and 14kmpl on the highway.
samabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 18:56   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
Tried all possible ways - no AC, conservative driving, less braking and gear shifts. What not???? I never crossed 11kmpl within the city and 14kmpl on the highway.
Samabhi, in my recent trip to Karkala, i drove it in a very spirited manner, occasionally touching 140 and when the roads were wide, consistently at 110-120kmph. Still it returned 15.5 kmpl. And this, with about 25% city driving prior to the Karkala trip. I am sure if i went at 80kmph(extremely boring of course) then it would have returned me between 18 and 20!
Old 14th June 2011, 21:19   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback iPai. Looks like the FE wont improve much because there is no point shifting gears in the i10 below 3K rpm as thats where is the actual fun of driving this car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
I am sure if i went at 80kmph(extremely boring of course) then it would have returned me between 18 and 20!
Gentlemen, believe it or not, the "actual fun of driving this I10" for me is to extract its maximum fuel economy, under normal and practical conditions, especially given the poor FE reported by many I10 owners here on this forum.

I do use the AC, but only when it's really required. I anticipate conditions (speed breakers, pot holes, bottle necks, etc.) along known roads well in advance. All my gear shifts take place around the 2K rpm. In fact, I don't think my I10 has touched beyond 3K rpm till date and I have absolutely no intention to do so, unless absolutely necessary. My family enjoys a sedate drive and so do I.

Would I be considered an "extremely boring" driver? Of course, I would be, at least by those on team-bhp.com. Should "extremely boring" drivers be part of this forum? Well, I hope so.

Last edited by misquitas : 14th June 2011 at 21:37.
Old 15th June 2011, 09:35   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Would I be considered an "extremely boring" driver? Of course, I would be, at least by those on team-bhp.com. Should "extremely boring" drivers be part of this forum? Well, I hope so.
Misquitas, buddy, please don't get me wrong, i just wanted to say, if 'I' go constantly at 80 kmph, 'I' will feel extremely bored. I did not generalize at all! Guess i should have reworded my sentence

While driving in bangalore, i follow all that you mentioned except that i don't anticipate road conditions much. Just the shift at 2K rule! I should try and follow the other points too you know!

As a note of appreciation, i follow your posts quite intently and each time feel proud that our cars do give good FE contrary to opinions that it is not a frugal car!

Given the petrol prices now, in my next trip to my native my onus will be on extracting the maximum from every drop of fuel

On a side note, we visit Zambaulim at least twice every year, may be some day we'll meet!
Old 15th June 2011, 11:43   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I personally prefer driving my cars fast given even a small window of opportunity to go faster than usual or necessary. Hence, for me FE is low on priority. Ofcourse, it should be decent (11kmpl is not a situation to panic)

Naturally, if FE went down to abnormal levels like 7kmpl-8kmpl, then even I would worry.

Well, let me say something without mincing words. if you drive with "only" priority of extracting best FE then "hopefully" without offending you, i do think you would be automatically considered as a boring driver...And, with regards to such drivers finding place on this forum. Ofcourse, this forum is meant for each one of us and as we all know no two people are alike in their likes, dislikes and personal preferences.

Now coming back to topic, can someone give me a ball park figure of how much would be the damages for this service to the White Angel?
Old 15th June 2011, 22:14   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
Regarding Wiper Blade replacements, do it only if you feel the blades are leaving marks on the windshield when wiping or if the wiping isn't clean enough. 2.5 years and 22K Kms, i have still not changed them! During the last service, i asked my SA, and he told me the above point and warned me that the blades are quite costly with one side blade costing about 600 odd and another side costing about 800 or 900 odd!!(An SA saving a customers money, unbelievable isn't it?)
Strange. When I gave my I10 for its second service at the Goa Hyundai service centre at Caranzalem-Panjim this morning, I casually asked them the rates of the wiper blades, since you had posted about the seemingly exorbitant rates.

Two service advisors told me that each wiper blade is priced at about Rs 320. They can be bought individually (about Rs 320) or as a pair (about Rs 640).

@ IPai:

Not to worry. I understood that your comments were from personal experience and I have nothing against you. Glad to note that your I10 too is frugal in its fuel consumption.

Thanks for checking out my posts on the I10. I gave my I10 for its second service today and will send a post on it in my I10 thread shortly.

@ mobile008:

While I don't carry along a calculator each time I drive the I10, I must admit that obtaining a high FE -- especially on a vehicle not renowned for its FE -- gives me a kick. I enjoy a smooth and sedate drive (60-70 kmph along inter-city roads) and I take great pleasure when my passengers claim to have enjoyed the drive.

Incidentally, I have often been told that these same passengers, either have their heart in their mouth or are busy saying their prayers, when a relative or a friend drives fast along roads here in Goa. This hair raising experience has left many of them slightly sick or worse still, reluctant to be a passenger in cars driven by such fast-paced drivers.

So, I have no issues or regrets whatsoever on being classified a "boring" driver, either on this forum or elsewhere. As far as I am concerned, the benefits of being a sedate driver far outweighs that of driving fast.

At the end of the day, I'd rather have my family and relatives enjoying a drive in my car than to have them seeking other options to travel and leaving me alone in my car.

Last edited by misquitas : 15th June 2011 at 22:41.
Old 26th June 2011, 10:01   #178
Team-BHP Support

White Angel came back from its 10,000kms service and currently stands with an odo reading of 10,300kms.

Below was carried out during this service

1. Shell Engine Oil ( 3.70 Litres) : Rs.838

2. Distilled Water : Rs.8.00

3. Rear Mudflap (1 no.) replaced : Rs.82

4. Oil Filter : Rs.75

5. Paid Service : Rs.740

6. ISA Cleaning Charges : Rs.150

7. Wheel Balancing and Alignment : Rs.580

8. Weights : Rs.158

Total Damages : Rs.2950

This service was carried out at KUN Hyundai which shares the same boundary wall with KUN Chevrolet where I get the Cruze serviced.

Here too, service experience was very good probably because key management are the same. I gave the car at 10:30am and picked it up at 4:30pm and it was all done up and ready to be picked up.

I had specifically asked for the wheel alignment and balancing done even though i know its going to be slightly expensive at the ASC. But, since the car went for a service after almost 10 months, i thought it deserves everything that was necessary.

I had no complaints when I handed over the car but, told him of low FE. When i told him of my usage. He said, for start stop usage, the FE will go down. If you drive for slightly longer distances, then FE should certainly increase. Well, that's nothing new. I know about that. But, wasnt too convinced with that reply.

Anyone knows whats an ISA cleaning charges? Is it the throttle body?

Btw, I checked the wiper blade costs. SA mentioned its Rs.300 apiece. Finally, the car was running on normal air until now, he changed it to Nitrogen free of cost ( otherwise, they charge Rs.150 for first time filling)

Overall, it was a good experience and I am all set for next 6-8 months

Some pics of the "White Angel" during a TBHP Drive meet
Attached Images

mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 16:24   #179
BHPian

Some of the things that don't like with i 10 is:-

1) Less peppier than Ritz. I have driven my friend's car and can say that the ritz looks more quicker and easy moving than the i 10. Ritz looks really like a 1.2ltr engine, but i 10 never behaves likes that. It behaves like a 1 ltr engine.

2) Struggles to pull when 3-4 people occupy the car. Especially in the city bumper to bumber traffic .

3)Mileage:- The mileage promise given by Hyundai is sheer lie. It never gives more than 11-13 kmpl.

4) Humming sound- The most annoying thing that i face with i 10 is the humming sound. Is this common with all the i10s. Please i10 owners share your experience.

5)Clutch reaction- The worst area in i10 is the clutch reflex. The placement of clutch pedal is itself not comfortable. Plus the engine switches off sometimes in the b-b traffic due to the clutch release. I really do not find this in my Manza. It is very comfortable in Manza. And the 1st and 2nd gear had zero power in i10.

6) Engine vibration- This is noticeable because the rear veiw mirror inside the car itself shivers to indicate the engine vibration.

7) A/C is powerful but you can surely notice a drop in the power when A/C is working.

8)Music system is really very good. My i10 is Asta and the Music system is a company fitted one.

9) Rear passengers always complain about the comfort. May be this happens only for my people because they are comparing Manza with i10 which is not justified.

10) Ride quality is average and sometimes below par. It takes a toll on the bumpy roads with lot of shakes and aerobics going on inside the car.

Overall i am not that much satisfied with the performance of i10 because of the reason that the negatives overtake the positives. I expected a lot before buying one.I will surely tell that it doesnot deserve that much hype for that amount of price.

Last edited by rki2007 : 26th June 2011 at 16:34.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 21:33   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Some of the things that don't like with i 10 is:-

3)Mileage:- The mileage promise given by Hyundai is sheer lie. It never gives more than 11-13 kmpl.
Oh, surprising because my i-10 Sportz gives me 16 KMPL consistently in city with almost 40% B2B traffic (70% AC on). On highway I have got as high as 19KMPL

Quote:
4) Humming sound- The most annoying thing that i face with i 10 is the humming sound. Is this common with all the i10s. Please i10 owners share your experience.
I don't hear any such sound in my i-10 with all windows rolled-up

Quote:
5)Clutch reaction- The worst area in i10 is the clutch reflex. The placement of clutch pedal is itself not comfortable. Plus the engine switches off sometimes in the b-b traffic due to the clutch release. I really do not find this in my Manza. It is very comfortable in Manza. And the 1st and 2nd gear had zero power in i10.
Again, I never had this problem even after spending hours in B2B traffic in Pune although

Quote:
6) Engine vibration- This is noticeable because the rear veiw mirror inside the car itself shivers to indicate the engine vibration.
This is true, the IRVM vibrates specially at low RPMs and higher gears

Quote:
7) A/C is powerful but you can surely notice a drop in the power when A/C is working.
Yes sometimes the drop can be really annoying specially when you are on a climb

Quote:
8)Music system is really very good. My i10 is Asta and the Music system is a company fitted one.

9) Rear passengers always complain about the comfort. May be this happens only for my people because they are comparing Manza with i10 which is not justified.

Absolutely rear seats are among the worst in i-10, people are bounced like anything
ulhas.ahirrao is offline   Reply With Quote