Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 12th April 2005, 23:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Dude,
if you get low profile, ride will not be as good as new but handling will be awesome.
Due to some technicality, we have to stick with 185/65/R14 tyres.
For the interiors you can get the silver finish panel and PU seats and the sporty pedal and gearnob.
For the body, silky blue colour along with dark silver multispoke alloys will be a good buy (i will post a few pics so you can see. will post it in tyre section in shoes for our lancer) , along with a spoiler.
For tyres i would suggest 195/55/R15 size falkens or bridgestones.
Enjoy your car and do post some pics once you get it.

Last edited by lamborghini : 12th April 2005 at 23:45.
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2005, 00:04   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
Dude,
if you get low profile, ride will not be as good as new but handling will be awesome.
Due to some technicality, we have to stick with 185/65/R14 tyres.
I know the idle comfort may reduce a little, however better tyres can make up for it. BTW, what is the technicality about having to stick with 185/65R14 ? It has 0.32% difference in circumference compared to stock tyres. However 195/55/R15 has only 0.22% difference, even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
For tyres i would suggest 195/55/R15 size falkens or bridgestones.
I have already choosen the Bridgestone Potenza GIII.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2005, 00:32   #18
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Samurai,
First up, good choice with the baleno. As far as tyres go, if you want a good compromise between ride & handling, then opt for Michelin Pilot Preceda's. Very good tyres but just that the grip in the wet is a little compromised. Michelin MXF's & Potenza G3's are out & out perfomance tyres.
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2005, 08:49   #19
BHPian

Since ride quality is important, stick to 14" , 15" will make the ride bumpier besides costing more.

Th eonly grouse I have with the GIIi'S are that they're diectional so in case of a puncture on the wrong side you have to drive with the wheel the wrong way , but they must be good tyres if so many people recommend them.

195/60 R14 is a good balance between handling and comfort
zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2005, 09:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Samurai. Neat choice. I would have gone for the Baleno too if I was not in Mumbai. Enjoy the ride and do change the tyres, which is somethign you are going to do anyway.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2005, 10:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hey Samurai,
Just get it checked with the service advisor of the branch from where you are buying as the lancer guy was all yes for us putting 15 inchers on the lancer and he said that the warranty would not be affected but the service advisor adviced us against it as any size bigger then 185/65/R14 will not be covered by our warranty.
Old 13th April 2005, 10:17   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
Since ride quality is important, stick to 14" , 15" will make the ride bumpier besides costing more.

Th eonly grouse I have with the GIIi'S are that they're diectional...

...but they must be good tyres if so many people recommend them.
Yeah, they're excellent... I got R13, and they're actually very bouncy, so I feel almost nothing when I go over bumps in B'lore... R14, should give pretty much the same performance... they're fantastic tyres though. Keep the last tyre(stepney) as a stock, or a non-directional upgrade tyre... that sorts outthe problem of a puncture...
Do post pics of your ride when you get it...

Cheers!!
Aveek
aveek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2005, 12:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hey Samurai,

Congratulations! Baleno is a fantastic car and I had set my eyes on it (and NHC), till I came across Petra. May be converse of your story

Just curious! Why did you take so long to decide if you have not driven Petra yet and don't want to consider it even before driving? You could have as well done that months back. Afterall, not much has changed with Fiat, Sundaram or Petra in last 3 months
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2005, 14:38   #24
BHPian

Default unlike FIAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
. Finally I don't think I have the stomach to deal with Sundaram. In my company I blacklist any vendor who behaves unprofessionally. Therefore how can I consider a car dealer who is certifiably incompetent and unprofessional. With all these thoughts I have to say NO to Fiat Petra with a heavy heart and Heck NO to Sundaram Motors with relief and glee.

Umm, your fate.
looks like you had made up your mind.
missed a good opportunity to own a solid car. I have had FIAT servicing for my palio and there N number of people who vouch
for a good ASS for fiat.

With a Maruti product, you definitely need a good ASS. maruti owners go the service centers so often unlike FIAT
v_s_natarajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2005, 14:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_s_natarajan
With a Maruti product, you definitely need a good ASS. maruti owners go the service centers so often unlike FIAT
Waiting for the flames to come pouring in now.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2005, 15:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

Dude,
atleast test drive the Petra.
Even if you do not buy it, at least go and enjoy driving it.
Buddy, its safer, more comfortable, faster, fully loaded and much better overall caras compared to a Baleno but them everyone has their own opinion.
Old 13th April 2005, 16:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

I would advise Samurai not to test drive petra now. If he is disillusioned with Petra, it is fine and great. But if he likes it much, then that will put him in a dilemma.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2005, 18:20   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Umm, your fate.
looks like you had made up your mind.
missed a good opportunity to own a solid car. I have had FIAT servicing for my palio and there N number of people who vouch
for a good ASS for fiat.

Dont Buy FIAT - even if it is a good car and when you know the company is going down . Take the example of Matiz - one of the best cars in its category - will beat Santro /Zen hands down . But due to the companies closure - the service - which was rare - was a pianfull experience. All of a sudden the mechanic became the KING - if I was not staisfied with their job , they would say that it was the spares issue - Always blame the company and support.

Please Dont even think of buying FIAT - until you hear from them.
puthari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2005, 18:26   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
I would advise Samurai not to test drive petra now. If he is disillusioned with Petra, it is fine and great. But if he likes it much, then that will put him in a dilemma.
Exactly, I didn't want anymore dilemma.

Quote:
I have had FIAT servicing for my palio and there N number of people who vouch
for a good ASS for fiat.
You forget I am in Bangalore and would be at the mercy of Sundaram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Just curious! Why did you take so long to decide if you have not driven Petra yet and don't want to consider it even before driving? You could have as well done that months back. Afterall, not much has changed with Fiat, Sundaram or Petra in last 3 months.
I was not waiting in dilemma. I couldn't apply for loan until my form 16 is available for tax year 2004-05. However, in these 3 months, I kept reseaching more and more and Fiat woes finally got to me.

BTW, I just booked it. I'll be paying the down payment this evening. And decided to go for 195/60R14 because of ride comfort and also dealer discouraged 15" on Baleno. I'll post the remaining details in the night once I am home.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2005, 18:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

Can't see loosing another probable Fiat owner.

When I was shopping for my car, Baleno and Palio D were the only cars I tested and drove both of them in the same route. Power of the later is no where closer to the former. I loved ripping the Baleno VXi (got ready for a delivery on that day).

Well, I would have also gone for Baleno If only I had another 80,000 bucks and not cared to spend another 1000 -1500 for the gas.

Good luck Samurai...
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote